Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Life is too short for bad coffee - The Off Topic thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,209 ✭✭✭DaveyDave

I bought a bag of Bewley's beans in Tesco yesterday just to try practice with different settings but I ran out of coffee this morning so I'll be putting them to the test, especially as I really liked the beans I just finished.

I know they won't be very fresh which will effect the shot but I think I need to adjust the internal burr and the shot time and I've already used a months worth of nice coffee in just over a week!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,506 ✭✭✭Damo 2k9

I tried two of those FIXX coffee beans, absolutely awful stuff, instant coffee standard

That bad? I wouldnt mind trying them, its just the amount of oil that I can visually see that is worrying me, dont want to F up the grinder in the BE.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,112 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

• Registered Users Posts: 21,611 ✭✭✭✭Squidgy Black

adrian522 wrote: »

If I remember correctly he'd been in a legal battle with the landlord for a while over the coffee booth, it's the same crowd that turfed out the Arts Centre and left the building sitting empty after they bought it.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,101 ✭✭✭Technocentral

Damo 2k9 wrote: »
    That bad? I wouldnt mind trying them, its just the amount of oil that I can visually see that is worrying me, dont want to F up the grinder in the BE.

It had the same cheap bitter tang that instant coffee has, that just might be just me though

• Advertisement

Passed by there earlier today and they were still open, thought that post meant they were gone.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,112 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

In the times UK it says they destroyed the store room and left stock on the footpath, the alarm went off so the Gardai were called and put a stop to whatever was going on, its behind a paywall so I can't read the full thing.

What sort of Brew Ratio do people normally use for making espresso?

I always went with 1:1.5 or thereabouts. 16g in - 25g out.

Reading online I see a lot of people using closer to 1:2 so 16g for a 32g output.

I've been trying this and see some upsides, certainly easier to discern different flavours but you lose a little of the strength of the espresso.

What way do you do it?

• Registered Users Posts: 19,908 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

I fill the basket with as much as I can get in, mount it, turn it on, then turn it off when the colour of what's coming out no longer looks like coffee or something I'd like to drink.

cnocbui wrote: »
    I fill the basket with as much as I can get in, mount it, turn it on, then turn it off when the colour of what's coming out no longer looks like coffee or something I'd like to drink.

But where's the scales and timer during all this?

My coffee OCD wouldn't allow such a setup I don't think.

• Advertisement

But where's the scales and timer during all this?

My coffee OCD wouldn't allow such a setup I don't think.

Scales? WTF?. What's the point - you can only get x amount into the basket and still be able to get it to mount on the machine. It's basically a known quantity that doesn't change - 1 slightly heaped scoop. That precise amount is disgorged from the grinder when the electronic control knob is set to point to a certain repeatable point on it's scale.

Watching the colour of what's coming out involves a complex optical sensor, which is state of the art, and a neural processor that is the result of 3.6 million years of evolution and natural selection. Far, far more technically advanced than anything as crude as a timer!...pffft

Real-time feedback loop - FTW.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,591 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

Grind coffee. Fill basket/filter cup. Press the button/turn the dial, turn off the button/dial to desired strength. Drink. This is not complicated.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,734 ✭✭✭J_E

Scales? WTF?. What's the point - you can only get x amount into the basket and still be able to get it to mount on the machine

Different beans will produce a different weight by volume - but it's what you're happy with that matters if you're only making it for yourself. I wouldn't be able to do it by volume - potentially bad/wasted shots make me sad.

J_E wrote: »
    Different beans will produce a different weight by volume - but it's what you're happy with that matters if you're only making it for yourself. I wouldn't be able to do it by volume - potentially bad/wasted shots make me sad.

Speaking of sad....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 229 ✭✭Bigbooty

Speaking of sad....

Coming into a thread and calling people sad... Is that not the very definition of a sad person?

What sort of Brew Ratio do people normally use for making espresso?

I always went with 1:1.5 or thereabouts. 16g in - 25g out.

Reading online I see a lot of people using closer to 1:2 so 16g for a 32g output.

I've been trying this and see some upsides, certainly easier to discern different flavours but you lose a little of the strength of the espresso.

What way do you do it?

To answer my own questions I've been watching some James Hoffman videos on dialling in espresso, probably answered some questions but posed a whole lot more.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,002 ✭✭✭mad m

I’ve a Gaggia classic set up with Mahlkönig Vario grinder. I weigh out 19g of beans pop in hopper. Into portafilter and 30 seconds pulling a nice shot for an americano.

Currently using Bell Lane Supernova Beans.

mad m wrote: »
    I’ve a Gaggia classic set up with Mahlkönig Vario grinder. I weigh out 19g of beans pop in hopper. Into portafilter and 30 seconds pulling a nice shot for an americano.

Currently using Bell Lane Supernova Beans.

But do you measure the output and do you adjust the grind based on how fast or slow the flow from the Gaggia is?

But do you measure the output and do you adjust the grind based on how fast or slow the flow from the Gaggia is?

No I don’t measure output, just judge by flow ( two mice tails :D) . I have grinder set so get constant results , well results I like. Some beans I do have to go up or down a notch on grinder

So how would I go about getting better shots with my setup?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,432 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr Magnolia

Speaking of sad....

Either keep it civil or refrain from posting.

mad m wrote: »
    So how would I go about getting better shots with my setup?

I would say, depending on the beans maybe start with a lower dose (maybe 18g) but if 19g suits you better then maybe leave it at that but with lighter roasts it will be more difficult to extract at a higher dose.

I would also weigh the output. So when you pull the shot, how much does the espresso weigh after you've pulled it.

I guess you should aim for around 38g of espresso (based on 19g of beans) in around 25-30 seconds.

I'd adjust the grind (finer/coarser) depending on if the flow is too fast or too slow and work based off that.

Try that and see do you notice any difference in taste.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,045 ✭✭✭Hodors Appletart

do you start the timer when you press the button or when the coffee starts to flow?

do you start the timer when you press the button or when the coffee starts to flow?

When you press the button I believe.

• Registered Users Posts: 154 ✭✭Flimsy_Boat

What does everyone think of Marks and Spencer's Single Origin coffee? I tried the Columbian one and it was divine, and less than 6 euro for 250g.

That said, I'd been drinking Aldi's 100% arabica for 2 months prior. (I'm an impoverished student)

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,176 Mod ✭✭✭✭igCorcaigh

I find the coffee from my Aeropress very weak.
    I'm putting 2 or 3 big tablespoons in for one serving. Probably my technique, have been using 3fe and cloudpicker ground.

Thinking of going back to the mocha pot. That made nice strong coffee using much less ground. More bang for buck.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,868 ✭✭✭dominatinMC

igCorcaigh wrote: »
    I'm putting 2 or 3 big tablespoons in for one serving. Probably my technique, have been using 3fe and cloudpicker ground.

Thinking of going back to the mocha pot. That made nice strong coffee using much less ground. More bang for buck.
    If used right, I think the Moka Pot gives a great coffee. Underappreciated IMO

I just use an espresso machine now but from past experience a mocha pot makes a far more rich tasting coffee than the Aeropress alright.

Mocha pots do produce strong coffee, but they do it by superheating the water under pressure so the water is significantly above the ideal temperature for extraction, resulting in bitterness. There is even a paper where a couple of scientists measured and modeled what goes on in a mocha a pot with great accuracy. I'm sure I could find it again if you are interested.

An espresso machine would be a better way to go. I spent several decades using a mocha pot before moving on to an espresso machine.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,868 ✭✭✭dominatinMC

Mocha pots do produce strong coffee, but they do it by superheating the water under pressure so the water is significantly above the ideal temperature for extraction, resulting in bitterness. There is even a paper where a couple of scientists measured and modeled what goes on in a mocha a pot with great accuracy. I'm sure I could find it again if you are interested.

An espresso machine would be a better way to go. I spent several decades using a mocha pot before moving on to an espresso machine.
    Superheating it - are you sure? Not sure how superheated steam can be achieved in the presence of water. Can you send on the paper if you get a chance, interested in reading it, cheers.

Advertisement