Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Off-Topic Thread

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭tuxy

Have all usb ports stopped working or just usb 3?

If you go to device manager and USB controllers, are the 3.0 controllers detected by windows?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,402 ✭✭✭Tinie

tuxy wrote: »
    Have all usb ports stopped working or just usb 3?

If you go to device manager and USB controllers, are the 3.0 controllers detected by windows?

Just USB 3.0 ports. USB 2.0 working fine. I have an ipod plugged into a rear 3.0 port and its getting no power even, as its not even charging.

This is all im seeing under USB in device manager:

NVgnIwY.png

No mention of 3.0

And they were working fine up until recently? Have you made any changes to windows or your system in general?

The fact that it's listed as a generic hub may indicate that the correct drivers are not installed or have stopped working. Try getting the latest ones from the manufactures website.

Well I havent been using the USB 3.0 ports that often, but im 95% sure they were working ok when I first installed windows. I have tested them there with headphones, which are powering on, so there is power coming from the ports at least, but not recognising any devices.

MSI includes a live update utility, and its telling me I have the latest USB drivers installed. I didnt make any major changes to the system lately that I know of. I reset the bios to default just there, and no change.

I'm not sure how good that update utility is. It's possible it could miss something like this. You should be able to download the usb driver from the website. I'm fairly sure it should be listed as 3.0 usb in device manager if the driver is working correctly.
    Are you on windows 7 or 8?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,147 ✭✭✭.E_C_K_S.

Headshot wrote: »
    I have had a tv as a monitor for a quite awhile(upgraded recently) It was a 32" Philips tv and I thought it did a great job for what it was.

If I was you I build the pc first and wait awhile to get the money for a monitor, more important to get the best components for the money

Have my Laptop hooked up now via HDMI and it looks great on the telly but it is huge.... I wonder is now the best time to be purchasing a PC or should I wait a bit and buy another monitor with it. Hard to get the balance right.

.E_C_K_S. wrote: »
    Have my Laptop hooked up now via HDMI and it looks great on the telly but it is huge.... I wonder is now the best time to be purchasing a PC or should I wait a bit and buy another monitor with it. Hard to get the balance right.

Stuff like reading and video editing on a TV gives me a headache, it's awful. However gaming is just fine. If the main use of the PC is gaming I say get it now, if not wait until you can afford a monitor also.

tuxy wrote: »
    I'm not sure how good that update utility is. It's possible it could miss something like this. You should be able to download the usb driver from the website. I'm fairly sure it should be listed as 3.0 usb in device manager if the driver is working correctly.
    Are you on windows 7 or 8?

Im using windows 7 64 bit. I download the usb 3.0 renesas drivers from the MSI website, and no change. This is very odd as im certain these ports were working fine only a few weeks ago, its just I didnt leave anything connected to them since I have no 3.0 devices at the moment :o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,575 ✭✭✭NTMK

NTMK wrote: »
    there was a diablo 3 rig done in a silverstone case and it was so clean straight piping excellent colour scheme ill put up a pic later if i can find one
    heres the pic
    6682579471_a68ebb2f70_b.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 10,299 ✭✭✭✭BloodBath

That's pretty sweet.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,710 ✭✭✭Monotype

The only thing about a 32'' TV as a monitor, is that you can see the pixels if you're up that close. If you're a little bit away it should be grand though.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,179 ✭✭✭Serephucus

• Registered Users Posts: 2,892 ✭✭✭Nolars

Serephucus wrote: »

Not worth the money then no for ocin. I mite just get a 8350 instead.

Yeah, I was reading that article last night along with their review for the the CPUs themselves which showed quite substantial max power draws.

I'm beginning to think that Haswell actually kinda sucks.

For laptops it's absolutely awesome. 1) Because of the substantially decreased idle power draw, 2) Because of the massively improved IGP, and 3) because laptop heatsinks are direct-to-die, so they won't have nearly as much thermal problems.

For desktops... I'm thinking "meh".

Definitely. Should be some great options for laptops. Hopefully we'll see some competitors for MS Surface Pro. I wouldn't mind one of those. Except for the price.

At least we should have... what's it called... Broadwell on the same socket. Just a shrink though so we won't see much gain. But heat should go down and hopefully stability won't be getting any worse.

IMO, they should do something about the contact with the IHS. You're verging on recall-worthy there. That's going to lead to inefficiency on the desktop with cooling working harder than they need to because they can't carry the heat away. For a generation that's supposed to herald efficiency, it's counter-productive. Though they probably don't give a damn since it only affects overclockers for the most part. I feel it's echoing their previous mistakes with the pentium 4 Prescotts (or pres-'hot'). Although in this case, it could be fixed easily enough.

I think AMD are in for a fighting chance for the first time in a while. The cards are playing out well for them if their next few releases continue in the right direction from Piledriver.

I think Intel are getting a bit to comfortable. Since Sandy they haven't had much competition from AMD, and they knew it. Thankfully this is starting to change, but they've basically given themselves a tonne of overhead because they've manage to engineer a solution that's "good enough" (albeit barely) even with a massive bottleneck like horrible thermal paste.

If Piledriver and others turn out to compete well with, or beat, Broadwell, all Intel has to do is spend an extra dollar at the factory, apply decent thermal paste, and boom, 4.0GHz stock clocked CPU with fantastic temperatures compared to the previous generation.

The thing is the 8320 and 8350 are better processors for things that make use of the threads. Pretty much right across the board they offer a better price/performance ratio and aren't far off 3770k performance for a lot less. The main drawback is their power usage but Haswell has narrowed that gap.

Get an 8320 and a good cooler instead. It's much better value.

BloodBath wrote: »
    The thing is the 8320 and 8350 are better processors for things that make use of the threads. Pretty much right across the board they offer a better price/performance ratio and aren't far off 3770k performance for a lot less. The main drawback is their power usage but Haswell has narrowed that gap.

Get an 8320 and a good cooler instead. It's much better value.

What kinda mobo would do the trick(ordering on amazon).

It depends how much do you want to spend, what cooling will you be using and what kind of overclock do you want? Also do you want sli support?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,575 ✭✭✭NTMK

at this stage i'd like to go amd but i cant find a board with M-atx with sli support

im even considering ivy now as i can get z77 stuff a lot cheaper and ive no plans to upgrade for another 2 years and haswell doesn't have a particular advantage

• Registered Users Posts: 5,006 ✭✭✭beno619

Nolars wrote: »

If only there were some ITX AM3+ boards we could use the cash saved to pump into a waterloop.

It depends how much do you want to spend, what cooling will you be using and what kind of overclock do you want? Also do you want sli support?

Just thinking of going 8320, evo 212 and a decent mobo to o/c nothin fancy. Ill only be running the 1 amd card. budget about 270ish

How's this for off-topic:

Typing with medical gloves on feels weeeeird. :P

AMD's mATX and mini-ITX boards are shoddy alright. They actually had some good ones in the AM3 days - impressive connectivity with USB 3, SATA 6Gbps and eSATA which was amazing at the time for ITX. Now there's no ITXs and their mATX boards are just recycling the old chipsets they probably couldn't sell - look at that on hardwareversand. All 700 series or 700 series southbridges. Sure, a few of them have tweaks and are actually good value when you think about it on an extreme budget, but how hard would it be for the board manufacturers just have a decent mATX board in there. They could have gone with the 880G or 880GX which had 4250/4290 (paired with SB850) which was relatively decent compared to the 760G's Radeon 3000. Heck, why am I settling? They should be all 900 series! Is there some kind of ban by AMD given that there's not a single "good" mATX?

I assume that they just want to segment their market and push people looking at smaller boards into FM2, which are actually good quality and value for the money.

Vinyl, latex or nitrile?

Vinyl, unpowdered.

Nice one. bye bye dual core i3 just cant handle what i throw at it anymore :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,357 ✭✭✭papu

so wierd , especially when the keyboards wrapped in clingfilm as well

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,124 ✭✭✭game4it70

To much sun me thinks :P :D

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement