Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Why do I not like GAA?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,778 ✭✭✭Pauleta

Hurling is quite good but Gaelic football is pants. If any other country in the world played it on a widespread level the players would be shown up. They have no competition but you can see with the rubbish medium range shooting that its not very good. A bunch of wannabe hardmen as well except when the big boys from Australia come along to bully them :pac:

Dont get me started about the bigoted organisation the GAA are. Hopefully they will fall just like the catholic church and Fianna Fail.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,729 ✭✭✭Pride Fighter

Many people dont like different sports, for different reasons. I watched my first LaCrosse match the other week on the telly and thought it was awful to watch.

It's just different strokes for different folks.

I enjoy Hurling and Football, but am not keen on handball, another sport of the GAA. The GAA as an organisation is brilliant. It provides sport and social outlets that the state should be providing but is not. It saves the state millions a year in health costs (through healthier people that exercise), garda resources (keeps youngsters busy and not idle) and provides a sense of community up and down the country.

Regardless if no one likes the games or not, they cannot deny the brilliant work the organisation does, on a completely voluntary basis as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,699 ✭✭✭StupidLikeAFox

Pauleta wrote: »
    Dont get me started about the bigoted organisation the GAA are. Hopefull they will fall just like the catholic church and Fianna Fail.

The GAA is an excellently run organisation! There is the usual bit of politics high up (which comes with everything from residents commitees to sports clubs), but at grassroots level you wont find any organisation like it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,239 ✭✭✭✭KeithAFC

It has a bad rep for the obvious reasons. I think we all know what that is but its OK to watch on TV.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,266 ✭✭✭Steyr

NFL
    Soft mans Rugby, takes forever to watch, literally sucks the life out of you. While I love Rugby I will admit scrum re-sets and playing the kick chase can be boring it is still miles better.

Best sport in the world but in my opinion only

Thankfully. :D

• Advertisement

ColHol wrote: »
    The GAA is an excellently run organisation! There is the usual bit of politics high up (which comes with everything from residents commitees to sports clubs), but at grassroots level you wont find any organisation like it

You wont find any other organisation like the Russian baseball association or the Venezualan Chess Federations either, stop trying to sound special. And in terms of being a well run organisation, arent most county boards in debt? I know Thomas Davis are around 2 million in debt after their disgraceful attempt to rid Tallaght of Shamrock Rovers.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,345 ✭✭✭landsleaving

Steyr wrote: »
    Soft mans Rugby, takes forever to watch, literally sucks the life out of you. While I love Rugby I will admit scrum re-sets and playing the kick chase can be boring it is still miles batter.

Thankfully. :D

I can see a lot of reasons why someone wouldn't like American Football, so I'm not going to debate it's better or worse than rubgy. But it's hardly 'soft mans rugby' - all the protective gear allows for a far more physical game in many ways.

Anyway, resume hating the GAA. I'll shuffle off now.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,362 ✭✭✭davetherave

Where else can you shake hands with the guy you're going to be marking before the match, then proceed to kick seven sorts of **** out of him and call his mother every name under the sun for 70 minutes, and shake hands with him again immediately after.

What about the pure heart and love for both the game and his parish/county that makes a lad want to die going for the ball as opposed to the pros in soccer that show no emotion despite getting six figures a week.

Or the institution that is John 3:7....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

Soft mans Rugby, takes forever to watch, literally sucks the life out of you. While I love Rugby I will admit scrum re-sets and playing the kick chase can be boring it is still miles better.

The thing that gets me about the NFL is they call the Superbowl Winner "World Champions"

World Champions of the National Football League
    Imagine if the All Ireland winners called themselves World Champions, they'd be laughed out of the country. :D

Every play is a strategy and a plan with multiple designs and personal used, every play was designed to take advantage of situations. It's the thinking man version of rugby :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 213 ✭✭Trigger13222

So you agree it eats out tax money??

I don't like GAA due to:

(1) The taxpayers money that was allocated to renovate Croke Park;

(2) The accounts that are never audited;

(3) Having to suffer incompetent secondary school teachers that only qualified because of their affiliation with the GAA when Galway won a treble in the 1960's;

(4) Being **** at the sport so I never got extra marks in school or got to work in Banks or Insurance because of it.

I think point 4 is your major problem jealousy i think its called.

• Advertisement

The thing that gets me about the NFL is they call the Superbowl Winner "World Champions"

World Champions of the National Football League :D
    Imagine if the All Ireland winners called themselves World Champions, they'd be laughed out of the country.

The World Champions tag comes from that it was Sponsored by a newspaper called The World

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36,634 ✭✭✭✭Ruu_Old

They all have lovely bottoms*.

*ladies GAA

Ruu wrote: »
    They all have lovely bottoms*.

*ladies GAA

"Yahhhrr, not a looker in the bunch"

Pauleta wrote: »
    You wont find any other organisation like the Russian baseball association or the Venezualan Chess Federations either, stop trying to sound special. And in terms of being a well run organisation, arent most county boards in debt? I know Thomas Davis are around 2 million in debt after their disgraceful attempt to rid Tallaght of Shamrock Rovers.

One club does not make the GAA, most I know in GAA circles hate Thomas Davis for what they did.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,255 ✭✭✭Renn

I loved GAA when I was younger, played it, went to a lot of matches and such. Then as I got older the coaches, parents and some other players started getting hyper competitive - read acting like pr*cks.

I was still only about 15, and hearing a player for the senior team at the club screaming obscenities at a bunch of 10-year olds was the last straw, after many other straws. It was a pity, because until I hit about age 12 it was all about having fun, especially since I flatly refused to play for the next team up in skill because the coach was a nasty old guy who thought under-15 B hurling was his ticket to fame and glory.

On the upside, same coach shouted at me at a hurling training session, then later was walking down the middle of a line of us hitting sliotars back and forth and said 'you're ****e lads, I should be afraid of getting hit.' - I duly obliged.

So long story short, I don't like GAA because I was put off by the people involved. I'd probably still be into it otherwise. Well, hurling anyway, football never made sense to me. You can't tackle, and any time I've seen it on TV recently it's just descended into a brawl. I prefer ice hockey for that.

Pretty much the same for me. I was mad in to it as a kid...played all the time up until I was about twenty. Then I realised how nasty the game actually was and quit. Returned briefly only to witness a guy getting his front teeth knocked out off the ball and another having his jaw broken because the guy on the receiving end was winning every ball that came his way.

I just found the whole set up to be extremely backward and I have attended a few games since to see if things have changed but nope - supporters of 'my' club shouting abuse for a player to "get the **** up out of that" only for the guy to have actually broken his leg in three places :/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,266 ✭✭✭Steyr

But it's hardly 'soft mans rugby' - all the protective gear allows for a far more physical game in many ways.

It is. Any NFL player would not last more than one half of a Rugby game if even the first half, it is all stop-start over a period of seconds of "action". Id love to see them try it without the pads.

Rugby is a contact sport while NFL is a collision sport, but thats why it is stupid, any fool can run at somebody else and in the NFL's case a few feet away.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,255 ✭✭✭Renn

Not sure where you're going with this Steyr...

the fact it eats our tax money, and the game is a game for gurriers played by hooligans?

How does it eat our tax money? (Genuine question, i thought it was a fairly rich organisation)

• Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

World Champions of the National Football League
    Imagine if the All Ireland winners called themselves World Champions, they'd be laughed out of the country. :D

Every play is a strategy and a plan with multiple designs and personal used, every play was designed to take advantage of situations. It's the thinking man version of rugby :cool:

dont forget the World Series of baseball....played by one country. :pac:

NFL is awesome though, "soft mans rugby" my ass it is, those guys hit like freight trains.

It is. Any NFL player would not last more than one half of a Rugby game if even the first half, it is all stop-start over a period of seconds of "action". Id love to see them try it without the pads.

Rugby is a contact sport while NFL is a collision sport, but thats why it is stupid, any fool can run at somebody else and in the NFL's case a few feet away.

If they played it without pads people would die. Every catch a wide reciever gets is a hospital pass. He is defenceless. It would be the equalent of getting a garryowen but the oppostition are allowed hit while the player is in the air. You can brace yourself for every Rugby tackle. You dont have time to brace yourself in the NFL. Of any sport ive ever seen, NFL players are right up there with decathletes as the most rounded and elite sports people on the planet. Its brutal stuff. The amount of brain injuries is disturbing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

I've never liked GAA either, not the sport itself, but its weirdly parochial and people get so up in arms over counties and all that rubbish. like that bank ad with the babies in county jerseys with "you dont pick your club,you're born into it" line, ugh.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,078 ✭✭✭✭LordSutch

Sonics2k wrote: »
    It's actually pretty boring I find.

Hurling is fun, GAA is just dull.

I know very little about GAA, but isnt Hurling a GAA sport too?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,082 ✭✭✭Pete M.

WRT taxpayers money issue, Croke Park rocks! If it wasn't for it, we wouldn't have 'The Deal' :p

Have played GAA for Oxford Vs. Cambridge in the annual joust a few years ago, such wonderful memories :pac:

Whatever about the sport, the surrounding culture is as much a part, if not more so, of our National culture as being a catholic is.

Call it GAA,Call it DNA.

Don't get rugby at all myself.

krudler wrote: »
    dont forget the World Series of baseball....played by one country. :pac:

I think the Toronto Blue Jay's wont be too happy being in the US.

Pete M. wrote: »
    Whatever about the sport, the surrounding culture is as much a part, if not more so, of our National culture as being a catholic is.

Uh oh

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

The NFL brought in a defenseless receiver rule. Players leap to grab the ball and get smashed out of the air.
    One receiver in the Arizona Cardinals got knocked unconscious and broke bones in his face....and that's with a helmet! Still returned to play just a few weeks later, tough guy

Do that in a rugby game with no helmet and you could die on the field.

Concussions are a big issue in the sport too

Call it GAA,Call it DNA.

Don't get rugby at all myself.

If you're from a certain area of Dublin and of a certain class, you would make that exact argument about rugby.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,511 ✭✭✭saywhatyousee

I used to play GAA is a good bit when i was younger gave it up for a number of reason's
    I just prefered playing soccer(GAA is better to watch though)
    I hated being told when and when i cant consume alcohol or smoke.
    The gossip everyone knows your business at a GAA club
    Nepotism(fair enough it does happen in soccer and other sports aswell but its really bad within the GAA)
    The extreme competitive nature of it,boarder line psychotic some might say.
    However there is a lot of people out there that hate the GAA for no reason.People that never ever had contact with a club or played it thats a bit sad i think

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,078 ✭✭✭✭LordSutch

Fascinating insight into the GAA mindset!

• Advertisement

It really isnt

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement