Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Why do I not like GAA?

Options
  • 19-04-2011 11:20pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4,296 ✭✭✭

I do like other sports - but I just don't get GAA.

What's wrong with me?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,239 ✭✭✭Sonics2k

It's actually pretty boring I find.

Hurling is fun, GAA is just dull.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,241 ✭✭✭Elessar

Culchie sport. You hate culchies.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,104 ✭✭✭easyeason3

Are you foreign? Or from Leitrim?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,296 ✭✭✭Frank Black

Elessar wrote: »
    Culchie sport. You hate culchies.

I am one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

What county are you from OP?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,799 ✭✭✭✭DrumSteve

You're a homophobe

DrumSteve wrote: »
    You're a homophobe

Some of my best friends like GAA!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,367 ✭✭✭davetherave

Are you from a so-called "weaker county"? Would the lack of silver-ware in the county board offices have anything to do with this disinterest or are you just unpatriotic? :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 10,969 ✭✭✭✭alchemist33

Perhaps you hate yourself, and this is the only way you can express it?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,351 ✭✭✭Orando Broom

Some of my best friends like GAA!

You are counter cultural and you crave notoriety. You probably don't like The Shawshank Redemption, brown shoes with jeans, Tommy Hilfiger shirts and Paul O'Connell

• Advertisement

Are you from a so-called "weaker county"? Would the lack of silver-ware in the county board offices have anything to do with this disinterest or are you just unpatriotic? :pac:

My County's done quite well in GAA over the years.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,686 Mod ✭✭✭✭melekalikimaka

the fact it eats our tax money, and the game is a game for gurriers played by hooligans?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,420 ✭✭✭Dionysus

What's wrong with me?

You were bullied in school by somebody who was a GAAhead? You wanted to separate yourself from whatever the dominant populist culture was among your peers, which in this case was the GAA?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,228 ✭✭✭epgc3fyqirnbsx

Personally, I don't understand why people love some sports but hate others. But that's mostly people who assign a sport to a demographic, eg a rugby head ridiculing GAA as bog ball regardless of the skill attached and vice versa.

But as for you not liking it, different strokes I suppose
    Being in Croke Park for a semi or final would change anyones opinion I would think, and that's probably the same for any sport. It's all atmosphere, this can be especially true for watching football in a pub when there's half one team and half the other and some great banter going :D

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

Is it cos yous black?

Obviously the football is just biffy fellsa shunting each other around but hurling is more pitch based poetry than sport "arra will ya f***in rise it PJ!!"... such beauty

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,228 ✭✭✭epgc3fyqirnbsx

the fact it eats our tax money, and the game is a game for gurriers played by hooligans?

See I think this is BS, what does it matter who plays it or watches it?? See what happens on the field, any popular sport is popular for a reason, there's obviously something worth watching

You are counter cultural and you crave notoriety. You probably don't like The Shawshank Redemption, brown shoes with jeans, Tommy Hilfiger shirts and Paul O'Connell

Wow, that's scary - I really think Shawshank is overated and I have this irrational hatred of Hillfiger.

I've no problem with the brown shoes bit though and I have nothing but love for Paul O Connell.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 578 ✭✭✭30txsbzmcu2k9w

Disliking characteristics of a Copper Face Jacks customer is hardly counter cultural.

BTW i agree with ther second poster. Gaelic football is boring slowed-down scrappy version of football. I quite like hurling however.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,716 ✭✭✭upandcumming

Sonics2k wrote: »
    It's actually pretty boring I find.

Hurling is fun, GAA is just dull.

You make no sense.

I don't like it because of it's nepotism, the people involved and with some clubs how sly and underhanded it is.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,266 ✭✭✭Steyr

What's wrong with me?

Just because you are Irish does not mean you have to like or admire GAA Hurling/Football, fcuk that.

Personally I cant stand it, I also can not stand soccer.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭al28283

I can't stand GAA either and I have no idea if my county is good at it or not

• Registered Users Posts: 3,089 ✭✭✭ascanbe

The funny thing about this comment is that, having read some of your other comments in this forum, i don't think you mean it in jest.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,351 ✭✭✭Orando Broom

Wow, that's scary - I really think Shawshank is overated and I have this irrational hatred of Hillfiger.

I've no problem with the brown shoes bit though and I have nothing but love for Paul O Connell.

Hahaha!!!

Well i hate Rugby. But I know why I hate it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

I don't like soccer, never watch Irish internationals and could not tell you who is top of the English Premiership
    Or tell you who won the six nations, no idea

But I could list the best 40 prospects in the NFL draft and list a lot of depth charts for many teams. Love it, as per the sig :cool:
    Best sport in the world but in my opinion only

Whatever you're into OP, if you like a sport then great, you don't have to like others.
    But you don't need to knock other sports either. I'll never watch rugby but good for others if they wish to go to games

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

Loved playing in my youth but when i went to college i lost interest, and since iv come home iv had no involvement at all. Still love watching hurling on the tele though.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,345 ✭✭✭landsleaving

I loved GAA when I was younger, played it, went to a lot of matches and such. Then as I got older the coaches, parents and some other players started getting hyper competitive - read acting like pr*cks.

I was still only about 15, and hearing a player for the senior team at the club screaming obscenities at a bunch of 10-year olds was the last straw, after many other straws. It was a pity, because until I hit about age 12 it was all about having fun, especially since I flatly refused to play for the next team up in skill because the coach was a nasty old guy who thought under-15 B hurling was his ticket to fame and glory.

On the upside, same coach shouted at me at a hurling training session, then later was walking down the middle of a line of us hitting sliotars back and forth and said 'you're ****e lads, I should be afraid of getting hit.' - I duly obliged.

So long story short, I don't like GAA because I was put off by the people involved. I'd probably still be into it otherwise. Well, hurling anyway, football never made sense to me. You can't tackle, and any time I've seen it on TV recently it's just descended into a brawl. I prefer ice hockey for that.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,692 ✭✭✭✭OPENROAD

I don't like soccer, never watch Irish internationals and could not tell you who is top of the English Premiership
    Or tell you who won the six nations, no idea

But I could list the best 40 prospects in the NFL draft and list a lot of depth charts for many teams. Love it, as per the sig :cool:
    Best sport in the world but in my opinion only

Whatever you're into OP, if you like a sport then great, you don't have to like others.
    But you don't need to knock other sports either. I'll never watch rugby but good for others if they wish to go to games

Man utd, but hopefully, Arsenal will reduce the gap to just one point on Wednesday, as long as Eboue keeps his head :(

• Registered Users Posts: 4,879 ✭✭✭Coriolanus

Try watching the one with the sticks. It's pretty good.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,700 ✭✭✭StupidLikeAFox

Gaelic football is boring slowed-down scrappy version of football.

Wait, did you just say Gaelic Football is a slowed down version of soccer? As in, the game where players can roll the ball left and right to each other around midfield for a few mins when they are looking for an opening, and can play a ninety minute game which there might be a handful of chances and up up with no score at all??

I do like soccer, but it nowhere near the speed and intensity of a GAA match.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 975 ✭✭✭Arnold Layne

See I think this is BS, what does it matter who plays it or watches it?? See what happens on the field, any popular sport is popular for a reason, there's obviously something worth watching

So you agree it eats out tax money??

I don't like GAA due to:

(1) The taxpayers money that was allocated to renovate Croke Park;

(2) The accounts that are never audited;

(3) Having to suffer incompetent secondary school teachers that only qualified because of their affiliation with the GAA when Galway won a treble in the 1960's;

(4) Being **** at the sport so I never got extra marks in school or got to work in Banks or Insurance because of it.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement