Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Why do I not like GAA?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,595 ✭✭✭bonerm

I do like other sports - but I just don't get GAA.

What's wrong with me?

You were probably born with 46 chromosomes.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,636 ✭✭✭dotsman

I like the Gaelic sports (hurling especially) and enjoyed playing them as a kid but I'm not a fan of the GAA, the majority of the fans, the pride in being a bogger (or a dub), parish mentality or watching the game (bar maybe from the quarter finals on, when there is something real at stake)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 534 ✭✭✭Donal Og O Baelach

No 2 ways about it - GAA is dog rough. Some like it, some don't.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,078 ✭✭✭✭LordSutch

Still waiting for an answer to #53.

Please.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 7,941 Mod ✭✭✭✭Yakult

Only find it somewhat interesting when we get to the quarters and beyond. (Kerry btw). Other than that I wouldn't really watch it much, support the county either way.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

The NFL brought in a defenseless receiver rule. Players leap to grab the ball and get smashed out of the air.
    One receiver in the Arizona Cardinals got knocked unconscious and broke bones in his face....and that's with a helmet! Still returned to play just a few weeks later, tough guy

Do that in a rugby game with no helmet and you could die on the field.

Concussions are a big issue in the sport too

nobody can deny rugby is a tough game,being built like a house is a definite necessity, but this idea that NFL is for wimps with pads is just idiotic, being ploughed into by 2-3 guys at once weighing 200+ pounds who's sole purpose it is to run through people isnt a wimps game by any stretch.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,345 ✭✭✭landsleaving

LordSutch wrote: »
    Still waiting for an answer to #53.

Please.

I know very little about GAA, but isnt Hurling a GAA sport too?

Yes.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,347 ✭✭✭✭rossie1977

• Registered Users Posts: 5,729 ✭✭✭Pride Fighter

I know very little about GAA, but isnt Hurling a GAA sport too?

Yes it is, as is handball, the type played in a squash court.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,082 ✭✭✭Pete M.

If you're from a certain area of Dublin and of a certain class, you would make that exact argument about rugby.

Fair enough, but I'n from Mayo (originally) and to be honest "Call it Rugby, Call it DNA" doesn't really have the same ring to it :p
    Fascinating insight into the GAA mindset!

I reckon I'm about as far from one's personal stereotype of a GAAhead's mindset as one could possibly be while still being one who can appreciate the GA's place in our society and the spectacle of an amateur sport being played at such a high level.

I'm not into the old rugby, but each to his own eh?
    I certainly don't go round saying that it is sh1t.

I know plenty of people who are mad into soccer, GAA, rugby, golf etc.
    And that's just fine.
    I reckon if people have an issue with the sport, per se, then it's really the associated culture they don't like.

Take golf for example.....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,345 ✭✭✭landsleaving

• Registered Users Posts: 2,964 ✭✭✭Sitec

I'm like my mam, I like a bit of everything.

Sports I like

1. Hurling... great game, exceptional skill required, fast and fluid.

2. English Football... brilliant skill, close encounters, tough at the top and worse at the bottom.

3. Formula1. Strategy, skill, unknown problems, teamwork.

4. Golf. Talent. nerve. skill. accuracy.

Sports I don't like.

1. Gaelic Football... My county is **** at it.

2. Rugby... Never played it. People in my school that played it were sh1theads.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 249 ✭✭purity

I hate the gaa too nothing wrong with you. I think gaa is a social thing for some fellas and for others it's nothing special.
    Personally I would rather watch a cow graze than watch a gaa match

• Registered Users Posts: 228 ✭✭BickNarry

I think the worst part of playing G.A.A is having to come out to your parents. So I could see why ya wouldn't like it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 126 ✭✭AnalogueKid

Although I always made an effort to like it as a kid and as an adult - I absolutely hate Gaelic football.

- Why are they always falling over?
    - It's really scrappy looking
    - They're woeful at scoring goals - always lashing it straight at the 'keeper.
    - I never find myself saying 'Wow, what a piece of skill that was!' which cannot be said for hurling.
    - How many f%$&ing steps are they allowed to take?
    - Why can people involved in the organisation not pronounce its name even though it's only three letters? G. A. A. not "Djeeeeaaaahhhh"
    - I hate people questioning my patriotism or Irishness because I don't like Gaelic football.
    - I've yet to see a decent looking woman in a GAA jersey.
    - Straw cowboy hats, headbands and sunburn have no place together outside of an early 90's Garth Brooks concert.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 83 ✭✭dar4

i used to love gaa and the club but now its the smallmindnish of it that id hav a dis with as in u cant fart in it without sumbody else finding out

ps im quite a private person

• Registered Users Posts: 24,024 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

Isn't the GAA the athletics wing of the Catholic Church?

ejmaztec wrote: »
    Isn't the GAA the athletics wing of the Catholic Church?

No.

Do they play it in Spain or Italy or Poland?

I haven't seen Gdansk or Barcelona above in Croker yet hey...

Or Lourdes...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,832 ✭✭✭NufcNavan

Pete M. wrote: »
    No.

Do they play it in Spain or Italy or Poland?

I haven't seen Gdansk or Barcelona above in Croker yet hey...
    He does have a point.

GAA clubs, parish etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,582 ✭✭✭✭TheZohanS

dar4 wrote: »
    i used to love gaa and the club but now its the smallmindnish of it that id hav a dis with as in u cant fart in it without sumbody else finding out

ps im quite a private person

In english?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 83 ✭✭dar4

TheZohan wrote: »
    In english?

i dont never hav never will speak english

• Registered Users Posts: 13,291 ✭✭✭✭hotmail.com

Although I always made an effort to like it as a kid and as an adult - I absolutely hate Gaelic football.

- Why are they always falling over?
    - It's really scrappy looking
    - They're woeful at scoring goals - always lashing it straight at the 'keeper.
    - I never find myself saying 'Wow, what a piece of skill that was!' which cannot be said for hurling.
    - How many f%$&ing steps are they allowed to take?
    - Why can people involved in the organisation not pronounce its name even though it's only three letters? G. A. A. not "Djeeeeaaaahhhh"
    - I hate people questioning my patriotism or Irishness because I don't like Gaelic football.
    - I've yet to see a decent looking woman in a GAA jersey.
    - Straw cowboy hats, headbands and sunburn have no place together outside of an early 90's Garth Brooks concert.

Just one of the silly rules!

Is it a contact sport or not as well? The hand pass, picking up the ball, the fact that they constantly change the rules etc etc.

But shush, GAA supporters won't have any debate on these issues.

NufcNavan wrote: »
    He does have a point.

GAA clubs, parish etc.

Perhaps a small one, like it's a bloke thing really, huh, but the athletics wing of the CC?

Nah.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,291 ✭✭✭✭hotmail.com

Pete M. wrote: »
    Perhaps a small one, like it's a bloke thing really, huh, but the athletics wing of the CC?

Nah.

I think that's just a metaphor.

The GAA has a sectarian history. They barred members of the RUC from playing GAA up until recently and only allowed British sports to be played in their stadia in 2007. It's no wonder so many unionists in the North want nothing to do with the GAA.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,716 ✭✭✭upandcumming

krudler wrote: »
    dont forget the World Series of baseball....played by one country. :pac:

NFL is awesome though, "soft mans rugby" my ass it is, those guys hit like freight trains.

No. Toronto Blue Jays are from Toronto in Canada.
    I also fully agree that it is pure horseshit to say that NFL is "soft man's rugby".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,421 ✭✭✭major bill

I agree op I cant stand Gaelic football either only differance is i think hurling is enjoyable. i do attend the all-irelands but Ive no interest in the games just go for the piss ups and to wind culchies up!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,716 ✭✭✭upandcumming

The sport is named after the school in which it was first played. Rugby, Warwickshire.

The GAA has a sectarian history.
    Really?

So does a lot of the world.

And?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24 Warchild aka Lupton_Pittman

1 how do players tackle? shoulder charges or patty-cake-a-ball out of their hands. its farcical.
    2 free kicks are given at the referees whim.
    3 all that fake macho crap. just fight for real instead of all this "jostling", lol.
    4 jerseys from the 80s
    5 butcher waving a flag at the goalpost
    6 refs deliberately want draws under orders from the GAA to make more money from replays.
    7 no discernable tactics
    8 mongo supporters shouting "pull"
    9 rte commentators
    10 lack of celebration upon scoring, because that would be "gay"
    11 psychotic training techniques burning out players through overtraining and injuries
    12 ugly faces everywhere
    13 general inhibition and emotional retardation of self-concious alcoholic small talking boggers still reeling from the catholic church
    14 boggers/bog warriors/muck savages/whatever
    15 the way boggers invading croke park look down on dubliners. Lol, we look down on you, you subhuman untermenschen.
    16 and you're no more "irish" than us.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,019 ✭✭✭Badgermonkey

Keith Duggan tore Gaelic football apart in the IT, thought his forensic deconstruction of where the game's gone badly wrong was spot on.

Hurling is a fantastically technical sport requiring skillsets far beyond the shove-fest that is Gaelic Football.

No fan of the GAA though, they were the sporting wing of the Catholic church for far too long and were complicit in the cultural, social and economic stagnation that befell the State post independence.

Finally, if Ger Canning, Marty Morrissey and Michael Lyster are the top team, I'd rather read the papers.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement