Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Songs With Significance

Options

Comments

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 16,186 ✭✭✭✭Maple

The one song that I hate hearing is over the rainbow - the Judy Garland version. The wizard of oz was one of my sons favourite movies and this was the only song played at his and his sisters funeral.
    Bloody hell, bloody bloody hell.

I'm so sorry for your loss.

Christ.

*hugs*

maple wrote: »
    Bloody hell, bloody bloody hell.

Ah janey, I feel bad now, it's grand like. :o:)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,541 ✭✭✭Heisenberg.

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 424 ✭✭meganj

For me it's four songs:

Don't Stop Believing - Journey: It was playing on the radio when I first met my boyfriend, then it was playing when we went on our first date, for our first kiss and the first time he told me he loved me. So it had a lot of meaning to us, whenever I'm upset he air guitars his way through it to cheer me up.

This is the First Day of My Life - Bright Eyes: It always makes me think of my OH I really was blind before I met him".

The River - Bruce Springsteen: It always reminds me of growing up and riving around with my mother and the Boss's Greatest Hits blaring out of the tape player.

Walk Like a Man -Bruce Springsteen: While about Springsteen's father's death and his attempts to live his life in his honour, it always makes me think of my own Father and our relationship and makes me wonder if you never forgive someone for something do you regret it for the rest of your life?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,713 ✭✭✭✭Novella

I had a miscarriage three years ago on the third of this month. There were a few days when we weren't too sure what exactly was going on, so I guess I was kinda hanging on to a little bit of hope with this song.

"I know you have a little life in you yet.
    I know you have a lot of strength left.
    I know you have a little life in you yet.

I should be crying, but I just can't let it show.
    I should be hoping, but I can't stop thinking

Of all the things we should've said,
    That were never said.
    All the things we should've done,
    That we never did.
    All the things that you needed from me.
    All the things that you wanted for me.
    All the things that I should've given,
    But I didn't."

Now it just always reminds me of that time. It tends to be on repeat pretty often around this time.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 154 ✭✭Soul Cake Duck

Scien wrote: »
    There's one song that never fails to lift me when I'm down, which thankfully isn't all that much.
    Even though there are no (understandable) lyrics, it doesn't matter. The music speaks for itself.

It's my favourite song of all time & if I ever have the honour of seeing it performed live i'll consider it as one life goal completed!

Absolutely brilliant band with beautiful music and you MUST see them live…they are one of the best bands I've ever seen.

An unfortunate memory for me (and I'm sure many others!) would be that bloody Maniac song...played at the end of EVERY nightclub back in my teenage years....

Here is that blast from the past, this be the Flashdance version

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DKdT_e4oePk&feature=related

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,160 ✭✭✭✭banshee_bones

Oh my word...I am one of those people who associates music with people...its usually a song that was out/played alot when we hung out at some point or the lyrics hold some kind of significant "in" joke for us!

Whenever i hear Kanye West Gold-digga I think of my friend Ciaran, Whenever MGMT is played I think of the summer i spent in Canada, Whenever I hear Radiohead, any Radiohead song I think of a boy i used to be really close to,actually that goes for Tom Waits too for that same guy.

And this next one is kind of apt but when Florence and the machine Dog days are over came out, it was the same time that I got accepted to my masters and moved to Dublin, had to find somewhere to live asap and all the chaos that comes with that but it was after a year of being unemployed...so it just stuck with me... :o

Happiness hit her like a train on a track
    Coming towards her stuck still no turning back...
    The dog days are over The dog days are done
    The horses are coming So you better run...Leave all your love and your longing behind You cant carry it with you if you want to survive...

Novella wrote: »

I had a miscarriage three years ago on the third of this month. There were a few days when we weren't too sure what exactly was going on, so I guess I was kinda hanging on to a little bit of hope with this song.

:( What a crappy week for you.
    Hugs

:( What a crappy week for you.
    Hugs

Thanks a million, appreciate the hugs :)

• Registered Users, Moderators, Education Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 15,247 Mod ✭✭✭✭rebel girl 15

Immortality - Celine Dion, written by the BeeGees
    So this is who I am
    And this is all I know
    And I must choose to live
    For all that I can give
    The spark that makes the power grow
    And I will stand for my dream if I can
    Symbol of my faith in who I am
    But you are my only
    And I must follow on the road that lies ahead
    And I won't let my heart control my head

Because you loved me - Celine Dion
    http://www.elyrics.net/read/c/celine-dion-lyrics/because-you-loved-me-lyrics.html

Michael Jackson - You are not alone

Nella Fantasia, I could close my eyes, listen to it and I always end up with tears, I'm actually out in goosebumps listening to it now

And simply for the lyrics, as it kinda sums up my life sometims - I believe in you

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 7,458 Mod ✭✭✭✭CathyMoran

Novella wrote: »

"I know you have a little life in you yet.
    I know you have a little life in you yet.

I should be crying, but I just can't let it show.
    I should be hoping, but I can't stop thinking

Of all the things we should've said,
    That were never said.
    All the things we should've done,
    That we never did.
    All the things that you needed from me.
    All the things that you wanted for me.
    All the things that I should've given,
    But I didn't."

Now it just always reminds me of that time. It tends to be on repeat pretty often around this time.
    I cant even listen to that song without crying...am sorry for your loss.

We had 5 miscarriages last year and the first one was the worst and is still raw but I heard "Leaving New York" by REM just as I founf out that we had lost another baby...I then had to pick up the strength to tell Shane that we had lost another baby...I dont know how we survived...

On a happier note we were giving it our last try for a while (I had worked out that the baby would be born on his grandmothers birthday)...a few days early I got "Flowers in the window" played on the radio and was listening to it in hope, planning on getting it played as a way of telling Shane that he was a Daddy...as it turns out I had a really bad tooth ache the following Monday and asked Shane to go out for painkillers...I took a test to make sure that I could take them...the pain did not seem as bad when I said "flowers in the window"...am now over 32 weeks gone...

CathyMoran wrote: »
    I cant even listen to that song without crying...am sorry for your loss.

We had 5 miscarriages last year and the first one was the worst and is still raw but I heard "Leaving New York" by REM just as I founf out that we had lost another baby...I then had to pick up the strength to tell Shane that we had lost another baby...I dont know how we survived...

On a happier note we were giving it our last try for a while (I had worked out that the baby would be born on his grandmothers birthday)...a few days early I got "Flowers in the window" played on the radio and was listening to it in hope, planning on getting it played as a way of telling Shane that he was a Daddy...as it turns out I had a really bad tooth ache the following Monday and asked Shane to go out for painkillers...I took a test to make sure that I could take them...the pain did not seem as bad when I said "flowers in the window"...am now over 32 weeks gone...

Every time I read updates, either from you or Shane, in the smile thread, I always feel better. I really am so happy for you and hey, fingers crossed, one day I'll get there too. :) And thank you :)

• Registered Users Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭Hermione*

I listen to the words of most songs quite intently so lots of songs would really have meaning to me generally. The one song that I hate hearing is over the rainbow - the Judy Garland version. The wizard of oz was one of my sons favourite movies and this was the only song played at his and his sisters funeral.
    Muy sincerest sympathies. Your post saddened me so much. Hugs.

I have so many significant songs - about two dozen, easily. I'm listening to one now. It's Run by Snow Patrol. These lines:
    "Light up, light up
    As if you have a choice
    Even if you cannot hear my voice
    I'll be right beside you dear

Louder louder
    And we'll run for our lives
    I can hardly speak I understand
    Why you can't raise your voice to say

To think I might not see those eyes
    Makes it so hard not to cry
    And as we say our long goodbye
    I nearly do"
    always remind me of the night my mother died. They so perfectly describe the scene that they could have been written about it. Even though this song makes me sad, I listen to it compulsively. It draws me back to that night and those moments, and it's strangely comforting.

My one of my favouritest songs ever is The Show Must Go On by Queen. It keeps me going when I feel I can't. The night Mother died, I spent what felt like hours wandering hospital corridors, listening to the lines "Empty spaces - what are we living for?
    Abandoned places - I guess we know the score...
    On and on!
    Does anybody know what we are looking for?" reverberate in my head. Regardless, it's still one of my go-to pick-me-up songs.

On a happier note, Where's Me Jumper never fails to remind me of my little sis as a happy-go-lucky five year old, and Feeling Good by Nina Simone always reminds me that tomorrow is another day :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 GooseberryLady

This song always makes me smile so much! It's from the movie Matilda, but I love it because it reminds me of my last few weeks of the summer before college before I was being let off into the big bad world!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IGMabBGydC0

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,126 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

I'll go a little further back :o

A woman I was mad about liked this song at the time;

Told you I was going further back... :D

Then it went pear shaped as these things often do and I listened to this with fresh ears;

The scouse git nailed it at the age of 23, decades before I knew what he meant. 2 minutes of time has rarely encapsulated the obvious and the heartfelt of a breakup so well.

Then this one;

I know, I know it's U2. But this was the mid 80's. A time when divorce was illegal, contraception was restricted, the old order still had sway and unemployment was at record levels. This countries sons and daughters, the best of us, were leaving in droves. There was graffiti at the ferry wall "will the last one to leave please turn out the lights".

I heard this actual recording in a cab on holiday in New York back then(think it wasonly released in the states?). The black lad driving turned it up and said "hey, you're Irish like these guys. I love this song". We had a bit of a natter and though he was a born and bred New Yorker he had always thought of "irish" as a prefix to "american" in a way. The country itself had never really registered for him. It was a place at most to be from, not to be in, or part of. Plus the longing aspect appealed to him.

Today we have no particular "oh wow" if an Irish act or person is on the world stage. Back then it was much more of a wow. When someone like Geldof was creating records and gigs for famine and U2 were on the cover of Time magazine, it did make a difference, both subtle and obvious. So as far as Im concerned Bonio can witter on as much as he likes.:D he played his part.

Sorry. Had to kick it old skool and such :o:)

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,064 ✭✭✭✭citytillidie

Green Day Time of My Life - For when I was away in Canada for the 1st time and well had the time of my life

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,091 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

Hey Avril! They have seen a lot of tears, couldn't listen to the first for years.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,196 ✭✭✭Crumble Froo

wow. i actually genuinely never knew you liked her music.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,091 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

wow. i actually genuinely never knew you liked her music.

I didn't at first miss froo :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,488 ✭✭✭pikachucheeks

I love that Fall to Pieces song ... Haven't listened to that in a long time.

I haven't listened to Snow Patrol in years either, for the same reason.

It's a beautiful song.

I think this thread is sort of therapeutic in a way. It made me think back on memories and experiences I haven't thought about in a long time...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 22,048 ✭✭✭✭Snowie

this song reminds me of one thing Im truly love

We got a 4 feet of the fluffytist powder days ive ever experenced in my life...I was at the lifts for 8. 15 got the first lift up from my station straight to the olimpic black slope and mac it straight back down to another sattion to meet my friends this song i picked nothing better then macing it past tourists and spraying people with powder :D

oh and the song....

• Registered Users Posts: 4,248 ✭✭✭Slow Show

This song reminds me of a pretty bad patch in my life...it's surreal, listening to that song brings back every feeling I had on these two days...emotions, hopes, fears, even what I could smell at the time...

It doesn't have anything to do with life in general, but I remember playing it when I was in a really, really good mood...:)

And this: my wedding song [a loooong time in advance]

beautiful...:D

• Registered Users Posts: 7,073 ✭✭✭Rubberlegs

Sweet Child of Mine takes me back to the carefree teenage years hanging out at the amusement park checking out the talent:D
    That Four non Blondes song "whats goin on" was no1 when eldest girl was born in 93 and Ace of Base "All that she wants is another Baby" was no2. Remember having a little radio beside the bed in the hospital and the laughing when that one came on:p
    That Samantha Mumba song " gotta tell You" reminds me of being in hospital after having 2nd daughter in 2000. Worrying times as she was transferred to Crumlin for surgery day after she was born. Also OH coming in to see me in bits as Joey Dunlop had been killed in Estonia. Loss of a legend there:(
    Anything by Adam Ant or Marc Bolan are my earliest memories of music. Sneaking back downstairs to listen to Top of the Pops, having a little jig outside the sitting room door and being caught by my not v impressed mother:):)
    Anything from The Black Parade album by My Chemical Romance just reminds me of how listening to them kinda got me interested in music again after a long time of not taking the time out to listen to any. Silly girl!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,739 ✭✭✭✭minidazzler

Alot of Josh Ritters music has significance for various reasons!

Particularily

Elliott Smith too, I love all his music, but the simplicity of Between the Bars gets me!

Set fire to the third bar is excellent!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 818 ✭✭✭idontknowmyname

Carrie Underwood ' Undo It'

'Now I only have myself to blame for falling for your stupid games
    I wish my life could be the way it was before I saw your face

You stole my happy, you made me cry
    Took the lonely and took me for a ride
    And I wanna uh-uh-uh-uh-uh-undo it
    You had my heart, now I want it back
    I'm starting to see everything you lack
    Boy, you blew it, you put me through it
    I wanna uh-uh-uh-uh-uh-undo it'

Few people that I wish I could just undo ever meeting, would make my life a bit easier :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,506 ✭✭✭lil'bug

Home by Depeche Mode its just beautiful sung live
    shake the disease by depech mode sung live also
    i was almost in tears when i saw DM live last december and Martin sang Home

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,160 ✭✭✭✭banshee_bones

*That is such an upstairs in Cuba* song! ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 146 ✭✭buttercupbee

OMG what immediately springs to mind is "Find The River" by REM.
    We used always visit the graveyard Christmas Day and I dont think the song was out very long, but it was the year River Pheonix had died and yes,
    as a highly sensitized and emotional teenager, the song was playing out in my head repeatedly and I could not stop sniffling (thoughts of one day I would MEET him but now he was gone ect ect).

"From The Inside" Linkin Park - just powerful. As with all their others. ANTHEMS I TELL U!

Happy song - "In 5 Years' Time" - dunno by who, not Right Said Fred,
    but SOUNDS like them :) (...goes to her happy place now...)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,125 ✭✭✭ironictoaster

I don't really how why this is significant but anytime time I hear this, I think of the past and things I want to accomplish in the future.

Good song anyways.

Advertisement