Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Catalytic converter theft

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,384 ✭✭✭1874

elperello wrote: »
    I get a strong impression of military training there.

God help any car owner stumbling out the front door half asleep brandishing his trusty hurley.

I dont know about that, they just seem organised and matter of fact about it,
    still one owner isnt likely to take on 5 people, the only thing I can think is making the cat less easy to access, if they have to cut off a protective covering, then thats extra hassle, and an alarm that goes off when its tilted above a certain angle. I think car alarms dont seem to go off so much anymore, so I think it will draw attention and be noticed.
    They dont want attention, if the vehicle type and the reg it has displayed are seen, then it might get tackled (at least in the UK), fairly sickening that a follow on clip on u tube suggest they are only getting 200 pounds worth for 2k of damage.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,217 ✭✭✭Miscreant

1874 wrote: »
    fairly sickening that a follow on clip on u tube suggest they are only getting 200 pounds worth for 2k of damage.

They couldn't care less about the 2k damage, all they want is the money they get for the cat.
    Anyone coming out to tackle these guys will definitely get a smack. It's like the rampant daylight moped theft in London until a while ago. The crims would be angle grinding locks on a busy street and then assault anyone who dared to threaten them.
    The dirt bags carrying out these cat thefts will not stop until the scrap metal merchants are forced to make changes to the way they operate with regards to these products or the law starts to come down hard on them instead.
    Judging by the way household dog thefts are being treated these days then I very much doubt that a lot will be done to stop people stealing catalytic converters.
    Crimes against property don't carry the same weight as crimes against a person and the criminals know this.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,069 ✭✭✭✭fryup

They appear more lithe than our somewhat chunkier ethnic friends.

eastern european?

• Registered Users Posts: 81,645 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

So brazen they actually check first to see if it hasn't been stolen already, cheek of them. This first guy on the jack must be only an apprentice thief, makes a balls of it in the wrong place, a fair few lbs over match fitness too...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,918 ✭✭✭Lewis_Benson

So brazen they actually check first to see if it hasn't been stolen already, cheek of them. This first guy on the jack must be only an apprentice thief, makes a balls of it in the wrong place, a fair few lbs over match fitness too...

Dirty good for nothing scumbags , waste of space and oxygen.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,106 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

I've ordered a decat, allegedly...
    maybe I'll just decat my car and pop it back in for the annual NCT. I mean if the authorities aren't apparently willing to crack down on this with legislation around scrapyards and police work, why should I give a toss?

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

This theft features on Crimecall on RTE1 Monday 9.35pm.

not much of a feature, just a brief 3 mins

• Registered Users Posts: 5,441 ✭✭✭LollipopJimmy

Wibbs wrote: »
    I've ordered a decat, allegedly...

Don't you drive an elderly Honda? Ironic thing is you'll probably have to cut the cat out to fit the decat :pac:

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,106 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Elderly?? How dare you sir! :D Actually it comes out handy enough. They came with a nice quality stainless steel exhaust system that near a quarter century later is still tip top. One of the few things I ever had to replace was the cat and after a few hours soaking in penetrating oil the bolts wound right out no bother. Now this was five years ago(when a used working cat was 50 quid, add a zero to that now), but I put a thin smear of copper grease on new OEM bolts before refitting so I'd reckon they'll be fine.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

elderly alcoholic priest ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 113 ✭✭floatwinner

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,629 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

ooh, i wonder which business that is.

It is mostly green space up there. Only a handful of possible suspects

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,629 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

well, i've come to my conclusion, which i'm obviously not going to mention here.

M

I hope there's prison and business shut downs through the courts.

A legitimate business would never leave that much high value material lying around.
    I mean the Criminals scouring the country for catyltic convertors would break in and just steal a truck load of these catyltic convertors if they were left lying around.
    They must have been confident of nobody stealing the product from them.

M

A legitimate business would never leave that much high value material lying around.
    There's 62 illegal dismanters operating in Fingal alone, they would need the Army Rangers with air support to break them all up, but if that's what needed than that's what needed, law and order.
    https://amp.rte.ie/amp/1147911/

• Registered Users Posts: 160 ✭✭thelizardking1

Except this one isn't illegal.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,167 ✭✭✭✭Hurrache

There's about 4 scrap places within spitting distance of each other around there, using the photos the gardai posted and google maps you could probably work out which one exactly it was.

https://twitter.com/gardainfo/status/1382625034913656834

Hurrache wrote: »
    There's about 4 scrap places within spitting distance of each other around there, using the photos the gardai posted and google maps you could probably work out which one exactly it was.

Look at the pic of the tow truck, in the background there's a shed with a slanted roof and a pipe coming out of the roof at a 90 degree angle. This shed and pipe can be seen in the background of one of the pictures on this Recylcing company's website.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,647 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

We should be seeing these raids numerous times a day. They should be coming down hard.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,159 ✭✭✭el Fenomeno

Look at the pic of the tow truck, in the background there's a shed with a slanted roof and a pipe coming out of the roof at a 90 degree angle. This shed and pipe can be seen in the background of one of the pictures on this Recylcing company's website.

Hey, are you hinting that it's St Margaret's Recycling? Can't find the pic with the pipe your referencing on their website, can you point me in the direction?

Hey, are you hinting that it's St Margaret's Recycling? Can't find the pic with the pipe your referencing on their website, can you point me in the direction?

Look for the picture of their 191 recovery truck

• Registered Users Posts: 3,159 ✭✭✭el Fenomeno

Very good! Well spotted.

Is the implication here that they are buying them from the robbers for pennies on the dollar?

Very good! Well spotted.

Is the implication here that they are buying them from the robbers for pennies on the dollar?

I haven't a clue! They seem like a reputable business from what I can see. But you never know I suppose

I'd be more then happy to have a bait car and cameras in my drive....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,349 ✭✭✭GhostyMcGhost

Look at the videos on the page. Looks like a match. Whatever business it is anyway should be shutdown for facilitating the continued theft and breaking of people’s cars. Absolute scum damaging cars and often leaving people stranded. If someone comes in with 300 cats you know damn well they were acquired in less than legal ways

Vin number on cats, licence checks for anyone bringing in for scrap, big big fines and prison time.

There really needs to be a big push on crime here.

M

Vin number on cats, licence checks for anyone bringing in for scrap, big big fines and prison time.

There really needs to be a big push on crime here.
    Yes I've heard that there's shortages of supply too so even if you have the €1k plus to replace what's stolen you could be looking at not being able to use your car for 4-6 weeks waiting for the replacement to come in.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,918 ✭✭✭Lewis_Benson

Yes I've heard that there's shortages of supply too so even if you have the €1k plus to replace what's stolen you could be looking at not being able to use your car for 4-6 weeks waiting for the replacement to come in.

You can use the car, albeit it will be a tad noisy.

Advertisement