Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Gangland Shootings in Dublin MOD Warning in Post #1 (updated 29/05/16)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,183 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

As far as I'm aware nobody burst into a packed hotel in the middle of the afternoon brandishing AK47s as part of a feud about gambling or booze, so no, not the same thing at all
    like in bugsy malone?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,380 ✭✭✭haveringchick

like in bugsy malone?

Yes BugsyMalone . In Dublin. In 2016.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,175 ✭✭✭✭end of the road

Am, no, if heroin were decriminalised, then the Kinahans et all would lose all interest

yes exactly. you didn't state you support decriminalisation in your post though.

I'm very highly educated. I know words, i have the best words, nobody has better words then me.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,315 ✭✭✭mynamejeff

So you don't have any bad habits.
    Hey, good for you, up there on your big high horse.

Is not being a drug user or dealer considered being up on a high horse to you ?

ok then but that says more about you than me to be fair ....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,380 ✭✭✭haveringchick

mynamejeff wrote: »
    Is not being a drug user or dealer considered being up on a high horse to you ?

ok then but that says more about you than me to be fair ....

I'm just glad for you that you live such an exemplary abstemious life that non of your hobbies/habits will ever put any pressure on the health/SW systems

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,315 ✭✭✭mynamejeff

I'm just glad for you that you live such an exemplary abstemious life that non of your hobbies/habits will ever put any pressure on the health/SW systems

you know a lot of people in ireland arent junkies or drug addicts ?

a lot of people have jobs pay tax and contribute to the running for the county ?

I wouldnt call being a junkie a hobby either , ask any addict ....

and if your interested i believe that SW is important and should there to support those who fall on hard times . Its the professional dole monkeys that i object to. those who have never contributed anything apart from he tax on a box of john players and some cider .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 907 ✭✭✭whatawaster81

• Registered Users Posts: 669 ✭✭✭josephryan1989

A man has been brought to Pearse Street Garda Station.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,936 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 702 ✭✭✭Simon2015

I'll sleep better tonight knowing that Paul Williams is out there protecting us from these Scumbags:D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,562 ✭✭✭✭Sunnyisland

I just watched above programs , what a waste of an hour, nothing whatsoever informative about it, And P Williams must have been cringing when the guest criminologist was saying about the media glorified the said gangsters , him having made his living from such actions.

Is there any decent crime reporter left ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,789 ✭✭✭✭BattleCorp

I just watched above programs , what a waste of an hour, nothing whatsoever informative about it, And P Williams must have been cringing when the guest criminologist was saying about the media glorified the said gangsters , him having made his living from such actions.

Who was the criminologist on the programme?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,562 ✭✭✭✭Sunnyisland

BattleCorp wrote: »
    Who was the criminologist on the programme

DIT criminologist Matt Bowden.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,707 ✭✭✭arayess

John Mooney isn't the worst,
    I bought his book Gangster on john gilligan and it was just far superior to anything paul williams wrote.

Mick McCaffrey wrote a decent enough book on the crumlin/driminagh feud but I find in recent years he is approaching williams level of hype.
    That said , nobody does plain lies like paul williams

• Registered Users Posts: 6,028 ✭✭✭gladrags

It borders on voyeurism,and clearly Williams has
    helped to glorify crime.

The fact of the matter is that for all the crap he comes out with,his rantings have done nothing to decrease the level of drug trafficking,or in bringing the guilty to justice.

His other half Paul whatshisname,who tries to emulate Williams in gutter journalism,is as bad.

Williams is the only Journalist "brave enough" to stand up to the Scumbags lol.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,996 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

It seems INM are the only ones brave enough now to work with Paul Williams on his crime fighting crusade. I just can't wait for his new book

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,748 ✭✭✭✭Lovely Bloke

Ballymun currently swarming with police, and the two choppers are above it.

I saw about ten or twelve bikes and cars speeding towards there this morning on the M50.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,546 ✭✭✭✭Poor Uncle Tom

It's murder going to the shops these days......

• Registered Users Posts: 5,673 ✭✭✭AudreyHepburn

I'll never understand why people have such a problem with Paul Williams....I really enjoyed his books and find him very interesting to listen to. The depth of his knowledge of Ireland's criminals is incredible and I like that, contrary what's being peddled above, he makes no bones about how low he thinks of them.

I just can't see where people are getting the idea that's a liar or glorifies crime from.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,789 ✭✭✭✭BattleCorp

I'll never understand why people have such a problem with Paul Williams....I really enjoyed his books and find him very interesting to listen to. The depth of his knowledge of Ireland's criminals is incredible and I like that, contrary what's being peddled above, he makes no bones about how low he thinks of them.

I just can't see where people are getting the idea that's a liar or glorifies crime from.

He could be making it all up and we wouldn't know any different.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,707 ✭✭✭arayess

he is a liar, he invents stories or believes criminals sources and prints their rumours.
    he also is a mouth piece for the gardai printing stories on their behalf .
    You may think this is a good thing but printing lies causes rumour and in the criminal world that can have repercussions putting people at risk .

If you read his articles over time you notice he blames people (via nickname) for crimes that years later when somebody is charged they were not connected to the person he named or 6 months later he is blaming a different criminal for the same crime.

I also know that he is a d1ckhead and a bully.
    I am very close friends with a chap I used to work with - 20 year friendship so i know my pal's family well.
    He has one sibling in jail for serious gangland offences.
    Not one of the rest of the family have any convictions or ties to criminality but Williams and the SW (he was with the SW at the time) harassed that family no end. doorstepping and calls to them continuously all dressed up up in a pompous attitude of "i'm a journalist".
    Complaints to the gardai were ignored as he is their mate.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,673 ✭✭✭AudreyHepburn

BattleCorp wrote: »
    He could be making it all up and we wouldn't know any different.

If he is, then he's got a seriously good imagination!

In all seriousness though, just because he exposes parts of society that make us uncomfortable or afraid is no reason to call him a twat or liar.

Show me proof he's lying and I'll be the first to admit I'm wrong....until then I'll assume people just want to bury their heads in the sand about our criminal underworld.

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,734 Mod ✭✭✭✭Boom_Bap

Ballymun currently swarming with police, and the two choppers are above it.

I saw about ten or twelve bikes and cars speeding towards there this morning on the M50.

There were a few traffic accidents on the M50 at Ballymun today causing traffic chaos

In all seriousness though, just because he exposes parts of society that make us uncomfortable or afraid is no reason to call him a twat or liar.

Show me proof he's lying and I'll be the first to admit I'm wrong....until then I'll assume people just want to bury their heads in the sand about our criminal underworld.

Its well known that Williams makes stuff up.

He will take a low level criminal and make them out to be a major Gangster.

Then the person who he writes about will start playing up to their image by going around saying "do you know who I am..... I'm "Mr Big" I was in the Sunday World... Don't Mess with me" etc.

Thats how alot of these Gangsters start off by getting the papers to give them a reputation.

You don't make it in Ireland as criminal until the Sunday World or Paul Williams starts writing about you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,915 ✭✭✭The flying mouse

The first book he wrote, the general was in fairness a good interesting read, but it put him into the position of forever trying to match that in future writings,be it in book form or tabloid, After Veronica's guerin was brutality murdered, Williams swiftly replaced Guerin as top dog at the Crime reporting in Ireland and set about creating the cult of Gangland by giving Ireland's criminals the one thing they craved the most but couldn't buy or steal: notoriety.

Using his columns he built up the profiles of various lowlifes and drug dealers, knowing that the more he wrote about them the bigger a target they would become. It is common knowledge that a few of his gangland stories has resulted in a few dead people,as the egos of said people get hurt.

He doesn't report crime he glamourises it for his own ego,he has no respect from his own journalists ,most Garda and even the people he writes about.

• Registered Users Posts: 568 ✭✭✭Supernintento Chalmers

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,915 ✭✭✭The flying mouse

There's even worse than Williams out there

I hate that word Tuck shop, and also the ridiculous writings of some of these so called reporters.

Is there not some oath you have to take when becoming a journalist ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,935 ✭✭✭TallGlass

I thought Freddie was losing weight and working out?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

TallGlass wrote: »
    I thought Freddie was losing weight and working out?

That article is from a couple of years ago.

Donal MacIntyre is an even bigger muppet than Paul Williams.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

That MacIntyre fella presented a dreadful documentary about Dublin gangland a few years back as part of his 'Toughest Towns' series. They made the city look like a total gang infested crime ridden kip. A complete exaggeration of reality.

I was nearly glad when the Viper gave him a few digs. :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,208 ✭✭✭✭StringerBell

What an absolute ******

"People say ‘go with the flow’ but do you know what goes with the flow? Dead fish."

I do have to admit though, I find Paul Williams ****in hilarious! He takes himself so seriously, his voice and mannerism with how he speaks absolutely cracks me up :)

Reminds me a bit of Ricky Whitelaw

"People say ‘go with the flow’ but do you know what goes with the flow? Dead fish."

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,909 ✭✭✭greenman09

Simon2015 wrote: »
    Donal MacIntyre is an even bigger muppet than Paul Williams.

[/QUOTE

Without even seeing this thread I watched this clip tonight on YouTube

• Advertisement

Seems to be the same syndrome.
    MacInryre made his name doing some good undercover work with English gangs I think.
    Then, like Williams, pathetically and desperately does anything to stay in the limelight.

Like, what was the point of that video?

To remind everybody how much of a tosser he is, that's the best I can come up with.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,188 ✭✭✭LDN_Irish

MacInryre made his name doing some good undercover work with English gangs I think.

You know, fair play to him for going undercover like that. That took bravery, and getting a Chelsea tattoo on his arse took commitment when he infiltrated the Chelsea Headhunters but his book was still absolute rubbish and seemed completely sensationalised. I'm interested in the subject matter so it's not that it's just not my cup of tea, it was just a really bad book.

Like, what was the point of that video?

I think MacInryre was trying to show what a hardman he is. He's "not afraid" to confront The Viper.

I think MacInryre was trying to show what a hardman he is. He's "not afraid" to confront The Viper.

Nobody came out of that video looking too good.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 136 ✭✭dakid

That MacIntyre fella presented a dreadful documentary about Dublin gangland a few years back as part of his 'Toughest Towns' series. They made the city look like a total gang infested crime ridden kip. A complete exaggeration of reality.
    I am struggling to see which part you think is an exaggeration?

dakid wrote: »
    I am struggling to see which part you think is an exaggeration?

Seriously? Just watch the very start narrative part even!

I think MacInryre was trying to show what a hardman he is. He's "not afraid" to confront The Viper.[/QUOTE

What a hero.
    Essentially harrassing a 63 year old man and his partner.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,559 ✭✭✭refusetolose

shooting in finglas?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,559 ✭✭✭refusetolose

apparently a well known dissident republican was shot

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,536 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

link?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,733 ✭✭✭SlipperyPeople

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,809 ✭✭✭✭smash

Probably related to this http://www.rte.ie/news/2016/0227/771169-belfast-crime-murder/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,681 ✭✭✭JustTheOne

smash wrote: »

Nothing related to that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,536 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement