Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Trivial things that irrationally annoy you in MMA!

Options
  • 24-09-2015 7:31pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,440 ✭✭✭

This is primarily a venting thread about Trivial things that irrationally annoy you in MMA which probably shouldn't!

====================================

When the fighter makes their way to the ring and and goes straight for the grease up official only for the grease up guy to refuse and point to their team as if to say acknowledge them first.
    Eh Fcuk you grease up guy what business is it of yours what way i choose to appreciate my corner. Maybe i hugged them before coming out maybe i dont want to do it at all but screw you for thwarting me and telling me what to do like im an ungrateful drunk.
    Oh im just waiting for the day the grease up official does this only to find a fired up fighter with the presence of mind to be told dont mind that and grease me up and do your job. I will decide when to embrace my corner.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,911 ✭✭✭✭scudzilla

califano wrote: »
    This is primarily a venting thread about Trivial things that irrationally annoy you in MMA which probably shouldn't!

====================================

When the fighter makes their way to the ring and and goes straight for the grease up official only for the grease up guy to refuse and point to their team as if to say acknowledge them first.
    Eh Fcuk you grease up guy what business is it of yours what way i choose to appreciate my corner. Maybe i hugged them before coming out maybe i dont want to do it at all but screw you for thwarting me and telling me what to do like im an ungrateful drunk.
    Oh im just waiting for the day the grease up official does this only to find a fired up fighter with the presence of mind to be told dont mind that and grease me up and do your job. I will decide when to embrace my corner.

The only reason the grease guy 'ASKS' if they want to acknowledge their corner is if he doesn't, then greases then up and tunrs round, hugs his corner and wipes it all off

• Registered Users Posts: 5,440 ✭✭✭califano

They never ask they just pompously point to the corner without saying a word. As if to say ''Ah your getting ahead of yourself there boyo'' corner first.
    Catherine Costigan was the latest victim of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,882 ✭✭✭cletus

I believe this was part of the rule change after greasegate with GSP. Once they've been greased they cannot turn back to their cornermen

cletus wrote: »
    I believe this was part of the rule change after greasegate with GSP. Once they've been greased they cannot turn back to their cornermen

Yeah thats right, now that you mention it i think thats why. Which lessons my case but id still like someone to stick it to the grease guy with a big surly noooooo.

• Registered Users Posts: 786 ✭✭✭ps3man

People tweeting and re tweeting Front Row Brian like he is the know it all of MMA. The chap is a nobody who happens to know Chael Sonnen and goes on like he really knows the inner workings of the UFC.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 39,062 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

cletus wrote: »

^ This

Thread has potential, but struggled start so far.

• Registered Users Posts: 253 ✭✭Chase3

ps3man wrote: »
    People tweeting and re tweeting Front Row Brian like he is the know it all of MMA. The chap is a nobody who happens to know Chael Sonnen and goes on like he really knows the inner workings of the UFC.
    This, he's the most negative and irrelevant person in the universe.

Mellor wrote: »
    ^ This

Thread has potential, but struggled start so far.

Probably best if remarks go unchallenged and let it be more of a venting thread. Otherwise people might not post if they feel they have to justify their remarks. Thats why i put 'irrationally' in the header.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,882 ✭✭✭cletus

califano wrote: »
    Probably best if remarks go unchallenged and let it be more of a venting thread. Otherwise people might not post if they feel they have to justify their remarks. Thats why i put 'irrationally' in the header.

I think it would work better the other way tbh, let people vent, but if somebody can offer a rational explanation to what you view as an irrational activity, then you've learned something along the way

• Registered Users Posts: 3,663 ✭✭✭JoeyJJ

Goldie always names the Ref before the fight starts the same way every fight. Really trivial i know. Goldie shake it up a bit..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,326 ✭✭✭MartyMcFly84

Goldie always names the Ref before the fight starts the same way every fight. Really trivial i know. Goldie shake it up a bit..

I just kind of laughed at this. Thinking if he suddenly went really high pitched or shrieked or put on an accent while announcing the ref name.

Its kind of a trademark at this stage, and in all the UFC games etc. Same way Bruce says "Its Time" the same way each time.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,795 ✭✭✭dulux99

When Dana White says "never leave it in the hands of the judges". It's honestly one of the most idiotic statements I think you could ever make. It's like watching American football and saying "hey you guys should score a touchdown".

Not so trivial however the most annoying this are middle of the road fighters that realise they are going to lose a fight and don't try something radical to shake it up happy to go along and lose the fight.

dulux99 wrote: »
    When Dana White says "never leave it in the hands of the judges". It's honestly one of the most idiotic statements I think you could ever make. It's like watching American football and saying "hey you guys should score a touchdown".
    It's definitely become a misused cliche. But originally there was a point to it. Fighters who thought they were winning so deliberately cruised the 3rd round. Then complaining while they decision.

But mentioning every time it goes the distance on TUF is dumb. Especially for close fights.

It's definitely become a misused cliche. But originally there was a point to it. Fighters who thought they were winning so deliberately cruised the 3rd round. Then complaining while they decision.

But mentioning every time it goes the distance on TUF is dumb. Especially for close fights.

Yeah I know. But when he's spouting that sh*te after a close five round title fight it's a bit ridiculous. He says it as if it's an incredibly profound thing to say, and if only someone took his great advice now and then...

• Registered Users Posts: 10,549 ✭✭✭✭cowzerp

Joe Rogan saying Aldo has great kicks due to soccer! complete bollox and makes no sense at all, he got great kicks from Thai Boxing, it's like saying a boxer got a good right hook from Tennis.

And the biggest stupid thing that just won't go away, MMA is the fastest growing sport! it isn't even close and hasn't been in many years, it has been fairly stagnant for the last few years if anything it has dropped overall in numbers, The fastest growing sports are multiplying by the year not fairly static for years.

Rush Boxing club and Rush Martial Arts head coach.

• Registered Users Posts: 506 ✭✭✭Ant695

The fact that you are reminded about advertisers at every opportunity. This is ufc... brought to you by <insert beer brand> as if they were instrumental in arranging the whole thing and bringing the fighters together etc... I realise they pay alot of money for the exposure but it just annoys me more than it really should.

Especially when it's for example a video game and they have to tell you all the platforms it's available on etc... or a car and they give the spec like a salesman on the forecourt.

FRAM CAM !!!

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,629 Mod ✭✭✭✭riffmongous

JoeyJJ wrote: »
    Not so trivial however the most annoying this are middle of the road fighters that realise they are going to lose a fight and don't try something radical to shake it up happy to go along and lose the fight.
    Or the fighter who is clearly going to lose by UD and yet does almost nothing for the final minute of the fight

• Registered Users Posts: 19,148 ✭✭✭✭MrStuffins

RIO DAY JANEIRO!!!!

• Advertisement

The fastest growing sport one bugs the **** out of me too.

And "cage fighting", "cage fighter", etc it's really common here and it does them do favours with the media.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,629 Mod ✭✭✭✭riffmongous

MrStuffins wrote: »
    RIO DAY JANEIRO!!!!
    I can't take anything Goldberg says seriously anymore after hearing the tommytoehold computer game glitch videos

Ring girls on shows and low pay for fighters. Particularly smaller shows.

In some cases the ring girls make more than the fighters on the show. Really says something when a couple of models are treated better than the athletes on the show.

• Registered Users Posts: 786 ✭✭✭ps3man

Also Nate 'the great' Kelly. Absolutely milking his 15mins of fame. I do hope he does well but he is at every MMA event and photocall, so annoying seeing him at Dublin Airport when Conor came home. Like an annoying little brother to Conor who won't leave him alone

Also Nate 'the great' Kelly. Absolutely milking his 15mins of fame. I do hope he does well but he is at every MMA event and photocall, so annoying seeing him at Dublin Airport when Conor came home. Like an annoying little brother to Conor who won't leave him alone

You would like to be Nate, wouldn't you?

And "cage fighting", "cage fighter", etc it's really common here and it does them do favours with the media.

SEVERRRREEEEEE MMA
    2014-10-18_ent_3974491_I1.JPG

ps3man wrote: »

Feels weird having a pop off a 10 year old lad but I'm somewhat inclined to agree. I saw grown men queuing to get a photo with him in Vegas. More power to the boy as he's obviously loving it, but he's developed an unbelievable ego. I wonder how he gets on with lads his own age when he's treated as a celeb during fight week.

Again it feels a bit weird slating a young child :D especially when I've a lad not much younger than him. Then again of course he's going to milk it, what young lad wouldn't!

• Registered Users Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

Cerrone and that ****ing cowboy hat. It must be super-glued to his head at this stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,419 ✭✭✭weemcd

Johnny Hendricks' walkout music
    The Reebok deal and how every fighter looks generic now

• Advertisement

Rouseys walk out. Or speed march out. Hate the way she speed walks like she cant get to the ring quick enough.

Advertisement