Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Trivial things that irrationally annoy you in MMA!

Options
12346»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 441 ✭✭Alicano

Tiny things that bug me:

Bruce Buffer. From his suits to his voice.
    The Reebok thing. I loved the different fighters and their particular choice of t-shirt or shorts/trunks.
    Commentators, Pundits and online fans saying 'I had it' when referring to rounds and who they think should have won.
    The UFC website. Pure muck.
    :)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,733 ✭✭✭ASOT

Alicano wrote: »
    Tiny things that bug me:

The Reebok thing. I loved the different fighters and their particular choice of t-shirt or shorts/trunks.
    Commentators, Pundits and online fans saying 'I had it' when referring to rounds and who they think should have won.
    The UFC website. Pure muck.

I have never seen or heard anyone use the term I had it bar the fighters, where does this go on?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,440 ✭✭✭califano

I religiously fast forward through Buffers repetitive and elongated intros. I still cant avoid his stupid little exclamation jump.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,153 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

ASOT wrote: »
    I have never seen or heard anyone use the term I had it bar the fighters, where does this go on?

"I had it 29-28 to...whoever"

Very strange thing to get annoyed at, don't understand the logic there at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,111 ✭✭✭finglashoop

Mellor wrote: »

I had it , i scored it. What other term would they use?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,876 ✭✭✭Easy Rod

It's like getting annoyed at the phrase "I think he won". Definitely falls under the irrational section!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,590 ✭✭✭CurryFlavoured

Wingspan gives a much more accurate idea of punch reach than horizontal arm length. Broad shoulders allow you to punch further.

Does it really? You might roll your shoulders forward when punching but to what extent and does shoulder breath really vary that? I'm not sure.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,133 ✭✭✭akelly02

people who are on the bandwagon saying hes gonna steam roll through Dos Anjos and then turn to Google to find out who Dos Anjos is.

Does it really? You might roll your shoulders forward when punching but to what extent and does shoulder breath really vary that? I'm not sure.
    If you are Nick Diaz then you wound roll them much when you pitter-patter-punch. But if you are punching properly, you should definitely turn shoulders into the punch.

On the other hand, why is it measured to fingertips and not knuckles? ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,582 ✭✭✭Swashbuckler

If you are Nick Diaz then you wound roll them much when you pitter-patter-punch. But if you are punching properly, you should definitely turn shoulders into the punch.

On the other hand, why is it measured to fingertips and not knuckles? ;)

Fingertips is probably more relevant for the likes of Jon Jones.

• Advertisement

Not really.
    There are paid professionals cage side who judge and score the contest. And that determines the winner. And that's final. I have no care for how Dana White, other pundits, or fellow Boardies 'score it' or 'had it' from their couch.
    The fights over. We have a winner.
    This is trivial things that annoy you by the way.:)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,269 ✭✭✭Gamebred

Not really.
    There are paid professionals cage side who judge and score the contest. And that determines the winner. And that's final. I have no care for how Dana White, other pundits, or fellow Boardies 'score it' or 'had it' from their couch.

The paid judges are the problem,a lot of them score fights very erratically,I'd guess none of them actually train in the sport their judging,of course decisions can be disputed by fans dana or anyone else.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,314 ✭✭✭BOHtox

Not really.

It happens all the time in every aspect of life. "never a free kick in my opinion", 'my manager did this but I'd have done it like this" I could go on

• Registered Users Posts: 7,733 ✭✭✭ASOT

Not really.

My car insurance is to high don't worry it's a paid professional that calculated it, pints in the pub are to dear, don't worry it's paid professionals that set the prices, tax is to high, again don't worry it's paid professionals that set the tax....just because there paid professionals doesn't mean it's Gospel, getting annoyed over people having opinions is ridiculous even for a thread like this.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,154 ✭✭✭✭MrStuffins

Not an MMA specific one but one that gets on my nerves all the same.

Re watching TUF 2 on Fight Pass and when jock Americans get together they always do that thing where they huddle and say "Victory on 3..... 1,2,3 VICTORY!!"

Except...... that's not ON 3 is it? That's after 3! If it was ON 3 it would be "Victory on 3..... 1,2 VICTORY!!"

• Registered Users Posts: 6,732 ✭✭✭Brussels Sprout

califano wrote: »
    I religiously fast forward through Buffers repetitive and elongated intros. I still cant avoid his stupid little exclamation jump.

Contrast him with Rich Goins from the early days of UFC. His delivery was flat, he often stumbled through the announcements and he used repeat the surname of each fighter right after saying their full name:

"Tank Abbott...Abbott". Urgh!!

I quite enjoy Buffer's performances. He's clear and consistent in his delivery and he builds the tempo nicely which is exactly what you want from your announcer.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,247 ✭✭✭✭DrPhilG

Rich "g-man" Goins...

At least give the man his full title!

Rich "g-man" Goins...

At least give the man his full title!

ASOT wrote: »
    My car insurance is to high don't worry it's a paid professional that calculated it, pints in the pub are to dear, don't worry it's paid professionals that set the prices, tax is to high, again don't worry it's paid professionals that set the tax....just because there paid professionals doesn't mean it's Gospel, getting annoyed over people having opinions is ridiculous even for a thread like this.

You're comparing economics to sport? Ok. Seems like you need to go to 'ranting and raving' and vent your issue with tax.:)

• Advertisement

• Registered Users Posts: 51,342 ✭✭✭✭That_Guy

I still have no idea what refs are searching for when they pat down fighters before entering the Octagon...

• Registered Users Posts: 6,582 ✭✭✭Swashbuckler

That_Guy wrote: »
    I still have no idea what refs are searching for when they pat down fighters before entering the Octagon...

I presume it's to make sure they're not greased since the vaseline incident with gsp years back.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,342 ✭✭✭✭That_Guy

I presume it's to make sure they're not greased since the vaseline incident with gsp years back.

I always thought they were looking for a blade or some shít... :pac:

Not really.
    Judges get it wrong all the time. And I'd imagine that everyone knows that the fight is over and the judges decide the result. Nobody is under any illusion that if they post their scores quick enough that it might change the outcome.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,914 ✭✭✭cletus

Not really.

I presume you're a fan of mma. Have you ever watched a fight and thought that the judges gave the decision to the "wrong" fighter, i.e. thought that the other guy won?

Have you ever watched a close fight and thought to yourself that its pretty even going into the final round?

This is something that a lot of fans do. The next logical step is to quantify why you think one fighter is winning over another, and as the scoring is round by round, fans attribute rounds to the fighter they think won them.

Do you not do this? Is it always a complete surprise to you when a judges decision is called?

cletus wrote: »
    Do you not do this? Is it always a complete surprise to you when a judges decision is called?
    Why does anyone even bother watching the fights, jsut get the results later. That's all you need to know. The effort of wasting 15mins to get to a judges decision.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,269 ✭✭✭Gamebred

That reporter in England that severe mma have working for them the american fella,his interviews are cringefests does nothing but stutter and brown nose thinks hes english too.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭JJayoo

Having a guy the size of Herb Dean or Big John ref the flyweights. I understand that the best ref = best outcome in terms of fighters safety, but it makes the fighters look absolutely tiny.

• Advertisement
Advertisement