Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Trivial things that irrationally annoy you in MMA!

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,146 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

She's in competition with herself to see can if she walk to the ring quicker than she can finish her opponent.

She's going to start sprinting to the ring soon :pac:

I've nothing against the kid Nate either, he seems like a nice kid, but I don't find the whole situation a bit weird.

• Registered Users Posts: 786 ✭✭✭ps3man

You would like to be Nate, wouldn't you?

Lets not beat around the bush I would, but I guarantee if they do an embedded for UFC Dublin he will feature in it on several occasions, he will feature on the Q and A and ask Dana when will he be given his contract and low behold he will be in the gibson after getting photos with every single fighter. And probably feature in the Mirror and on Spin 1038.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,913 ✭✭✭✭scudzilla

I hate bad cornering, a few examples.

Few years back on TUF when Dampage was 'coaching', his fighters were ont he ground a few times and all he could shout out, repeatedly, was 'Get Up', You're the fcukin coach, shout to him how to do that

The break at the end of the 2nd round, 1 round left and any idiot will see hat a fighter is WAYYYY behind on points, yet the corner don't tell him this and say he's doing fine. If it was me it'd be, 'You're going to lose, you have 5 minutes to finish it"

• Registered Users Posts: 7,733 ✭✭✭ASOT

scudzilla wrote: »
    I hate bad cornering, a few examples.

Few years back on TUF when Dampage was 'coaching', his fighters were ont he ground a few times and all he could shout out, repeatedly, was 'Get Up', You're the fcukin coach, shout to him how to do that

The break at the end of the 2nd round, 1 round left and any idiot will see hat a fighter is WAYYYY behind on points, yet the corner don't tell him this and say he's doing fine. If it was me it'd be, 'You're going to lose, you have 5 minutes to finish it"

Nelson v Story was a good example of your second point, JK basically told him he was in control and winning which was far from the truth I found it kind of weird.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,148 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

ASOT wrote: »
    Nelson v Story was a good example of your second point, JK basically told him he was in control and winning which was far from the truth I found it kind of weird.

That's something that really bothers me, but I don't think Nelson story is a good example. It was a close fight, Story won by split decision. And its likely that JK was trying to get a specific outcome from Nelson, such as sticking to the plan, rather than outright convincing him he as ahead. By the 5th, I don't believe either of them were under the impression that it was in the bag. And Gunni was going for the finish regardless.

For me a good example was Nick Diaz v GSP (or Conduit, or maybe both). His corner was awful, and he genuine thought he was ahead, instead of going for it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,733 ✭✭✭ASOT

Mellor wrote: »
    That's something that really bothers me, but I don't think Nelson story is a good example. It was a close fight, Story won by split decision. And its likely that JK was trying to get a specific outcome from Nelson, such as sticking to the plan, rather than outright convincing him he as ahead. By the 5th, I don't believe either of them were under the impression that it was in the bag. And Gunni was going for the finish regardless.

For me a good example was Nick Diaz v GSP (or Conduit, or maybe both). His corner was awful, and he genuine thought he was ahead, instead of going for it.

That's kinda what I was getting at JK couldn't have been as confident as he was with a win so it was strange seeing him say that to Nelson because maybe if he went out and done a bit more at the end he would of took it, but I suppose the judging on that was a bit mad I think one score was 50-44 Story? So maybe that wasn't the best example to use. Fairly sure Diaz corner told him he was ahead v Silva also.

I'd have to watch the fight again to be sure, but I though he was saying it during rounds after rounds 2 and 3, byt after the 4th (ie the last break) he was saying to press on a bit. I took it that it was an attempt to pace him for 5 rounds and stick to the plan, rather than worry him with being potentially 2-1 down midway.

But you are right, there was a 50-44 in there, awful judging.

A (not so) trivial thing that annoys me. They're aren't enough 10-8, 10-7s or 10-10s used. I fully accept that this leads to more draws, but I'd also guess that it leads to less judging robberies.

Draws aren't awful either. I'd also rather see two fighters awarded the draw to a 50/50 fight, rather than flipping a coin to see whose career gets knocked back a step.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,707 ✭✭✭pablohoney87

The term bandwagoners to refer to ANY new fan.

I get it that the dickie bow, indoor sunglasses, beard growin mcgregor clones are annoying, but there are people who become genuine fans and support the local scene after the initial UFC glamour phase wears off.

90% of us started out with tapout t-shirts and UFC hoodies. Now its just poorly tailored suits and sunglasses

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 11,139 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr. Manager

I get it that the dickie bow, indoor sunglasses, beard growin mcgregor clones are annoying, but there are people who become genuine fans and support the local scene after the initial UFC glamour phase wears off.

90% of us started out with tapout t-shirts and UFC hoodies. Now its just poorly tailored suits and sunglasses

I don't get the hate for tapout apparel. To me it's the same as someone wearing a jersey on game day or someone wearing O'Neill's tracksuit bottoms

• Advertisement

I don't get the hate for tapout apparel. To me it's the same as someone wearing a jersey on game day or someone wearing O'Neill's tracksuit bottoms
    Me neither tbh. I don't get the elitism. I'd see it like a random sports top too.

It's not like talking around in the a full football kit 24/7
    #fullkitwanker

• Registered Users Posts: 11,101 ✭✭✭✭Foxtrol

I think it's moreso down to a type of wearer in the States who uses it as a sign of what a hardman he is. It doesnt seem to be really an issue in Ireland but in the States similar brands are banned in some bars/clubs.

Foxtrol wrote: »
    I think it's moreso down to a type of wearer in the States who uses it as a sign of what a hardman he is. It doesnt seem to be really an issue in Ireland but in the States similar brands are banned in some bars/clubs.

It still spills out here as can been seen in various threads.

No shame, I have a tapout t-shirt :) it's so old at this stage though that it's plain black. All the text is gone from the washing!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,326 ✭✭✭MartyMcFly84

For a while Tap Out almost the only MMA apparel brand.

For a long time you only saw fighters in Tap Out or Sprawl fight shorts.

It just got big so it was no longer an niche brand any more and people who were not necessary training in MMA began wearing it.Essentially it was "cool" before it got mainstream, now its for "band waggoner's"

No shame, I have a tapout t-shirt :) it's so old at this stage though that it's plain black. All the text is gone from the washing!

It just got big so it was no longer an niche brand any more and people who were not necessary training in MMA began wearing it.Essentially it was "cool" before it got mainstream, now its for "band waggoner's"

Fúck :(

• Registered Users Posts: 51,054 ✭✭✭✭Professey Chin

Now it has an apparel deal with WWE. Its been a mental journey for the brand.
    Not a brand I can ever give out about though considering the early sponsorship they provided when nobody would touch the sport

• Registered Users Posts: 1,326 ✭✭✭MartyMcFly84

I was just joking with the bandwagoners comment btw. :)

I also hate that term.

It reminds me of children arguing over who was here first.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,054 ✭✭✭✭Professey Chin

Yeah. I was more just saying about how its changed over the years :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,480 ✭✭✭Devastator

Now it has an apparel deal with WWE. Its been a mental journey for the brand.
    Not a brand I can ever give out about though considering the early sponsorship they provided when nobody would touch the sport

Really? I bought some of them from sports direct(cause they were 3.99 lol) and not really worn them so was gonna fire them on ebay. Thats good because might get some razzlin fans interested in them now

• Registered Users Posts: 337 ✭✭Petermc83

I am becoming really annoyed with Joe Rogans commentary... sometimes he seems to just take a disliking to a fighter.. and regardless of how well theyre doin in the fight, he just shouts total cr*p for the other fighter and is blinded by his own words.

For example, Ross Pearsons last fight against Paul Felder....Rogan didnt give any credit towards Ross when it was clear he was winning on the feet by fighting intelligently and not just throwing wildly like Felder was doing.

Also, anytime a significant strike lands...he shouts.."HES HURT...HES HURT."....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,247 ✭✭✭✭DrPhilG

I bitch about bandwagoners.

But my definition of the word is different to what has been expressed here.

To me a bandwagoner is someone along for the ride, the party and the booze. Someone who doesn't give a pish about the sport but latches onto it because it's cool. If MMA wasn't cool but tiddlywinks was they would follow that. If McGregor retired tomorrow they would sell their suits and dickie-bows on eBay on Friday.

There is a big difference between a new fan and a bandwagoner.

Girls running around at the minute with tricolours painted on their cheeks cheering on the Irish rugby team even though they don't even watch the games are bandwagoners.

Bandwagoners annoy me. New fans don't.

We were all new fans once. We were not all bandwagoners.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,118 ✭✭✭shrapnel222

"I'd first like to thank the Lord Jesus Christ our Saviour, etc..."

Tilts me every Fecking time, especially when said by Benson Henderson (don't know why him in particular, it must be that deep booming voice :confused:)

Also the usual Rogan ****e "THat has to be the greatest knockout in the history of the sport", "That has to be best fight i've ever seen...ever!!!"etc...

• Registered Users Posts: 6,420 ✭✭✭weemcd

"I'd first like to thank the Lord Jesus Christ our Saviour, etc..."

Tilts me every Fecking time, especially when said by Benson Henderson (don't know why him in particular, it must be that deep booming voice :confused:)

Did you see the time Benson Henderson proposed to his (extremely average btw) girlfriend after a fight? It was another uninspiring decision win, the crowd were booing like hell. It was one of the corniest most embarrassing things I have ever seen.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,118 ✭✭✭shrapnel222

weemcd wrote: »
    Did you see the time Benson Henderson proposed to his (extremely average btw) girlfriend after a fight? It was another uninspiring decision win, the crowd were booing like hell. It was one of the corniest most embarrassing things I have ever seen.

i remember it vaguely tbh, but it was a good while back no? and it's amazing how quickly that toothpick reappears in his mouth after a fight. I think he hides it in his hair :p

• Registered Users Posts: 19,154 ✭✭✭✭MrStuffins

I would've used the term "bandwagoner" before but I wasn't referring to "new MMA fans". There's a big difference between a "new MMA fan" and a "bandwagoner" IMO.

If I don't give a rats about GAA all year, but then decide to get a lend of a Dublin top, go the All Ireland final, tell all the Kerry supporters how great Dublin have been all year, shout at the Kerry players that they're b*tches and they're all sh*te because they're not from Dublin and then not give a sh*t about GAA again until Dublin are in the latter stages of the All Ireland............. does that make me a "New GAA fan"? Nope!

Edit: Dr PhilG got there way before me.

DrPhilG wrote: »
    I bitch about bandwagoners.

But my definition of the word is different to what has been expressed here.

To me a bandwagoner is someone along for the ride, the party and the booze. Someone who doesn't give a pish about the sport but latches onto it because it's cool. If MMA wasn't cool but tiddlywinks was they would follow that. If McGregor retired tomorrow they would sell their suits and dickie-bows on eBay on Friday.

There is a big difference between a new fan and a bandwagoner.

Girls running around at the minute with tricolours painted on their cheeks cheering on the Irish rugby team even though they don't even watch the games are bandwagoners.

Bandwagoners annoy me. New fans don't.

We were all new fans once. We were not all bandwagoners.

I would pretty much say you've hit nail on the head with that definition. Huge difference between a new fan and someone there for a piss up.

I'd give the wee girls and the pretend rugby fans ATM a bit more of a by ball because major tournaments always has that effect on the general population. What does annoy me is if said fans then act like they're the expert, arguing with genuine fans who watch the sport year round.

I post a lot in the darts forum and lot of fans there feel same towards ppl who only goto a big tournament(or prem league) to get pished, sing, chant,boo and eventually end up throwing pints or fighting in the arena.....all while their back is to the stage the whole night.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,420 ✭✭✭weemcd

i remember it vaguely tbh, but it was a good while back no? and it's amazing how quickly that toothpick reappears in his mouth after a fight. I think he hides it in his hair :p

That's probably around 3 years ago at this stage.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,273 ✭✭✭EuskalHerria

"S/He came to bang".

"S/He likes to brawl".

"S/He always brings it".

I shouldn't have to explain how these are just awful and annoying.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,146 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

If someone comes to bang, that usually means something else to me!

• Advertisement

CatFromHue wrote: »
    If someone comes to bang, that usually means something else to me!

GPK-Adam-Bomb.jpg

? :D

edit - didn't realise picture was so big :/

Advertisement