Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Making every mile count

Options
  • 08-11-2013 4:12pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,065 ✭✭✭

With DCM 2013 done and dusted it is now time to look forward to 2014. I have lurked around these parts long enough and now the time is right to stick my head above the parapet!

Background

I began running in Spring 2012. Running a marathon was always a life goal. DCM 2012 was the target as it was my hometown marathon. I enjoyed the day and ran it in a very enjoyable 3.46:17. I loved every step. Beforehand I thought that this would be it, marathon box ticked and now to do something else! In truth, this was just the beginning and I quickly realised I wanted/needed to continue and improve (I’m quite competitive!).

2013 saw big improvements, particularly from August onward (here I began coaching sessions). My PB for the half marathon dropped to 1.24:28 (Athlone Flatline) and the possibility of a sub-three hour marathon became a real possibility. Training went well and I peaked with a 90 mile week three weeks out from the goal race of 2013.

The plan for Dublin this year was simple, run with the 3hr pacers until Mile 20, let the pack do the work and hopefully push on. I knew I was in good shape and secretly thought a 2.56.xx was a really possibility, although never sharing this with the coach! The plan was executed perfectly to Mile 20 and I felt strong. Here is where I wanted to gradually wind things up and finish strong, bringing the miles down to the 6.20’s. Unfortunately, cramp struck from nowhere at mile 22. What a time for your first ever leg cramp! I dug in and motored on. To be honest I was in pain. The pace never slowed though and I finished in 2.58:53. I was delighted but annoyed at the same time. I was full of energy but cramp stopped me cruising to the time I secretly wanted.

My 5/10k times are quite weak in comparison to my marathon time. November and December will see my first ever plan for these distances. January will see the start of a new marathon training.

Distance|PB|Goal
    5k|18:24|>17:20
    10k|40:09|>36:30
    Half M|1.24.28|>1.20.00
    Mar|02.50:53|02.49:59

The plan and goal is the Paris Marathon in April but I have a few fall back options in case that doesn't work out. My 10K time is particularly soft so I’m look forward to taking a chunk off that! These targets will motivate me until Spring.

Anyway. The days since Dublin involved way too much Guinness and bad food so time to get out those runners and get running.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 631 ✭✭✭Cleanman

Best of luck with it dublin runner. That's some improvement in time and mileage. I'll be following this with interest.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,236 ✭✭✭AuldManKing

Great goals, nice story! Best of luck with the log and the running.

• Registered Users Posts: 45 fowler1

Good stuff I will dip in here reguraly as I hope to break 2 50 myself next year.
    My stats 41 years young
    pb 10 k 35 30
    10 m 58 20
    half 1 17 20
    full 2 52 30
    I know I should be running a low 2 40 some thing off those but I struggle
    after 22 mile ,:D before village runner reminds me.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,065 ✭✭✭dublin runner

fowler1 wrote: »
    Good stuff I will dip in here reguraly as I hope to break 2 50 myself next year.
    My stats 41 years young
    pb 10 k 35 30
    10 m 58 20
    half 1 17 20
    full 2 52 30
    I know I should be running a low 2 40 some thing off those but I struggle
    after 22 mile ,:D before village runner reminds me.

Great times. Don't think you'll have any problem with breaking 2.50 with those times. You obviously have the pace. Look forward to seeing your progress and might catch you at a race....i'll be the one behind you!

Marlay Parkrun 09-11-2013

Pos: 7th

Time: 17:39

Felt I needed to get some speed back in the legs today. I also wanted to do a self-appraisal to see how the form was. 5k is definitely my weakest distance. I find it a difficult distance to judge and to be honest, it's the distance I most avoid. Happy enough with with the time given the effort exerted. I think I could have shaved of another 20-30 seconds if I really wanted/needed to. I think this race bodes well for the future and I look forward to many more Parkruns (brilliantly organised by the way). I think 16:xx is maybe not as far off as I thought.

-W/U .5 mile
    -5k Race
    -W/D 4.1 @7.02 p/m in 28.52
    -Total 7.7 miles

(I'm very bad at warm-ups before that's pointed out! Needs work)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,821 ✭✭✭blockic

Great run this morning dublin runner. We look to be very close time wise currently and very similar goals. We will likely be bumping into each other in future races. Looking forward to following.

(I'm very Lazy at warm-ups before that's pointed out! Needs work)

FYP :D

FYP :D

Haha. I just hang around and pretend to know what I am doing! Must get into a routine.

blockic wrote: »
    Great run this morning dublin runner. We look to be very close time wise currently and very similar goals. We will likely be bumping into each other in future races. Looking forward to following.

Thanks. Happy enough. Looking forward to racing against you. I'll be the one clipping your heels....:-)

What kind of training are u up to at the moment.
    I am only running 4 days a week till x mas.
    Monday hills on treadmill 7 by 1k at incline 3 finishing with 1 mile at incline 3
    Wed 8 mile steady
    Fri 8 mile including 10k at 38 minutes
    Sun 10 mile easy

• Advertisement

What kind of training are u up to at the moment.
    I am only running 4 days a week till x mas.
    Monday hills on treadmill 7 by 1k at incline 3 finishing with 1 mile at incline 3
    Wed 8 mile steady
    Fri 8 mile including 10k at 38 minutes
    Sun 10 mile easy

This week, like the previous week, has involved a lot of easy runs since the marathon. I'll post an update about the training and the training cycle leading up to the marathon. Next week I will begin structured training again. Might end up doing the Run In The Dark 10k on Wednesday. I'll see!

Great session on Thursday! Would that be your tempo run? Find the hill repeats on the treadmill great. Any races/target planned for the new year?

Big advantage on thread mill is u do not waste time jogging back down,
    and it keeps everything consistent. The Dungarvan and Ballycotton ten
    milers so far.

For anyone interested here is the 10 weeks leading up to the Dublin Marathon. It's maybe not the clearest but you'll get the idea :)

thanks for sharing that - looks very solid.

On your 'Steady' runs - typically what pace was that?
    Also - was this plan put together by a coach or is it off the shelf (or self made)??

Hey, thanks. The last few weeks by the coach, yes. Helpful to finally finish it today. I think looking back there was a distinct lack of speed work. Hopefully with the marathon done and dusted i'll get a chance to address that.

I think looking back there was a distinct lack of speed work.

Distinct lack of rest days too! ;)

Distinct lack of rest days too! ;)

Ha :) Used to take rest days but found they don't suit me. Always felt lethargic and stiff after a day off so decided to only have a day off when I felt I needed to. Luckily I only suffered a sprained ankle (getting off a bus if you mind!) so got lucky there!

RUN IN THE DARK 2013

36:46

Luckily I won an entry into this race. The plan was simple:

-Knock a chunk off the PB (soft target)
    -See how the form was heading into 2014

I really enjoy night running. The conditions looked good with a strong headwind on the Quays being the only negative. After a decent warm up I was ready for the off. Unfortunately due to traffic reasons the race was delayed by 20 minutes. Not ideal but these things can happen. With this week comprising of many easy runs I was really looking forward to stretching the legs.

The first lap went well and I felt good. I have felt the Garmin was slightly impeding my running recently rather than aiding it so I decided to use the stopwatch to keep me on track for this one. The second lap is where the race got interesting. The congestion got progressively worse and to be honest, dangerous. You simply can not mix runners and walkers on the same bit of narrow road. The last 2k was all about getting the race over without injuring myself or a fellow competitor. I hate to be negative as this race is all about a great cause this issue must be addressed. It was that bad.

Aside from the congestion I enjoyed the race and I was happy with my time as I could not have gone a second quicker in the last few kilometers due of the crowd.

I apologise to all the people I gave a fright to during my weaving between people. Seeing a man of 6’3’’ hurtling towards you can not be enjoyable!

Finished the race with plenty left in the tank. Considering the Waterford Half in December as the next target race.

Considering the Waterford Half in December as the next target race.

Get on that quick, I think reg is closed soon.

Nice running considering all the drama with the race!

Get on that quick, I think reg is closed soon.

Nice running considering all the drama with the race!

Thanks for the info. I will book this morn. Might even have a crack at 80min!

• Advertisement

that was a great time, given the course congestion.

In your 1st post, you mention getting some coaching that led to the solid improvements in your times.
    Is that by joining a club or getting online coaching or what??

Is it factored on building aerobic capacity or anaerobic??

In your 1st post, you mention getting some coaching that led to the solid improvements in your times.

Thanks. Yeah, decent time (90% effort) and hopefully a good indicator for the future. Would like to think I could go low 35's in the next few months.

I organised the coaching myself. I will probably join a club in the new year while continuing the sessions. Did 8 sessions over 3 months leading up to the marathon and found it brilliant. Before this I followed the P&D 55-70mpw plan so I had a solid enough base aerobically.

Even if you only get down once a month...join a club will ya!

Even if you only get down once a month...join a club will ya!

I've no time to join a club - too busy running.

I've no time to join a club - too busy running.

Excuses, excuses :) Must join a club though. Been on the long finger too long. Picking the club will be hard hard part......

Ran Stook ten miler yesterday in 61 15 so the form is good.Next up is the Waterford half

Week Summary

November 11-17th

Still slightly in limbo at the moment. I guess that is to be expected after the marathon.

Monday
    6.7 miles Easy

Tuesday
    4 miles Easy

Wednesday
    10K ‘Run In the Dark’ in 36:46 with .5mile warm-up
    -Embarrassed to even call that a ‘warm-up’. Didn't really matter in the end with a 20 minute delay to the start.

Thursday
    6.1 Recovery (treadmill) @ 7.25p/m and swim
    -After 3 laps of the 25m pool I was gone. I thought I was playing it smart by sharing the lane with a middle-aged lady, rather than the speedy looking ones. Big mistake! She was a very strong swimmer and was pushing me. Delighted to get out of the pool with my dignity well and truly dented :-) Ironman will have to wait….

Friday
    5.70 miles Easy @7.25p/m

Saturday
    7.35 miles Easy @7.20p/m
    -Planned some speed work here but delighted to get a few miles down after waking up with a very sore knee.

Sunday
    8.30 Easy @7.18p/m

Week Total: 44.8 miles

Very uneventful running as you can see! Low mileage and intensity but that will all change in the upcoming weeks. Have been very structured with core-work and stretching this week. My next race will be the Waterford Half next Sunday. After not 100% racing the previous 5/10k this is now a target race. Will be targeting 1.20:xx. Whether or not this is in me I do not know. There’s only one way to find out!

Ran Stook ten miler yesterday in 61 15 so the form is good.Next up is the Waterford half

Great time. Heard it's a brilliant race. Love the idea of the 'flying mile'. Any target time for Waterford?

November 18-20th

Monday 18/11
    10.47 miles Easy @7.04p/m in 1.14:03

Chance to start increasing the mileage here. Nice controlled run and felt good.

Tuesday 19/11
    5.85 miles Easy @7.03p/m in 41:14

With the DS Trainers nearing there final days I popped into Elverys and bought a pair of DS Racers (€55...bargain!) Very happy with how they felt on this run. Light and cushioned so my type of runner! Might keep these as a training shoe and keep the Cloudracers for racing.

Wednesday 20/11
    7.82 miles Steady Run @6.27p/m in 50:25

This was by far the toughest run since Dublin. Needed to introduce speed into the mix so took the opportunity on a typical windy November morn (!) Faced the full force of the wind at mile three and definitely slowed after a fast start. Held the pace well so a good session overall but it was a hard one.

Plan next week at the Waterford Half is to run as close to six minute miles as possible but this might be a stretch. 6.27 per mile is my current HM pace so I am confident of comfortably improving on this next week after today and marathon cycle training.

• Advertisement

Going to start out at 6 min miles and see how it goes , we have to say
    hello before the start.

Advertisement