Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x

14-06-2012, 11:54   #361
Snickers Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustinDee View Post
So closes thankfully a shameful chapter in this state's history.
The vilification of those who went to fight a very serious threat to this country was disgusting.
If you were just to trawl through this thread you would find very few examples of "vilification" by people here of Irishmen who fought in the British Army in WWII. And numerous examples of family memories which give the lie to the notion that there was any such widespread "vilification" of WWII veterans in the intervening years.

I have no problem with issuing a pardon to those men who committed the crime of desertion from their own country's armed forces 70 years ago. By which I mean an official rubber stamping of the de facto situation that those surviving are not going to be prosecuted in their feeble dotage for something that happened a long time ago.

As if they ever were.

But Minister Shatter is going too far in trying to rewrite history by "apologising" for the actions of his predecessors in government during the War Years and immediately afterwards. As he has done in this case and earlier ones.

There is nothing for us to be ashamed about with regard to our general policy of neutrality in the war. We were right. Dev was right. He not only did the expedient thing; he did the right moral thing.

And I say that as somebody who has never and will never vote Fianna Fail.

Credit where it is due.
(3) thanks from:
Advertisement
14-06-2012, 14:29   #362
infactaniceone

your right, i was really annoyed after watching my mother cry for 2 hours, trying to delete it
14-06-2012, 14:32   #363
infactaniceone

how do i delete message?
06-02-2013, 19:18   #364
sisyphus18

My father fought for the British Army in WW2. Is there any way to see the 'blacklist'? Any links for it? He never told me about any blacklist but he did move to England in the early 50s so im interested if he was on the blacklist? He did say whilst his main motivation was anti-fascist, Dublin was a poor and hungry place to be in the 1940s ...
07-02-2013, 20:30   #365
kabakuyu

Quote:
Originally Posted by sisyphus18 View Post
My father fought for the British Army in WW2. Is there any way to see the 'blacklist'? Any links for it? He never told me about any blacklist but he did move to England in the early 50s so im interested if he was on the blacklist? He did say whilst his main motivation was anti-fascist, Dublin was a poor and hungry place to be in the 1940s ...

It can be purchased here http://www.naval-military-press.com/...5&cat=0&page=1 but someone may be able to do a look up for you, there were approx 5,000 names of men on the list who deserted.Your fathers name may not be on the list as it is estimated that up to 50,000 from the south volunteered.http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/n...nd/3749629.stm

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion