Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

shaping pix.ie

Options
  • 16-04-2010 10:09am
    Registered Users Posts: 6,392 ✭✭✭

Marcus from pix.ie is running an opportunity for us (the pix.ie client base) to shape new features which will be added to pix.ie

It was posted over on twitter and on the pix.ie boards forum so for those of you not on twitter or that didn't catch the post on the pix.ie forum, you might like to partake in the poll;

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055883932

Only takes 2 minutes.
    Tagged:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,281 ✭✭✭Ricky91t

*cough* full size image protection *cough* :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,756 ✭✭✭Thecageyone

I filled out the form yesterday. Would be great to see it expanded with more features, I find Pix a little bare compared to flickr. It needs groups and discussion within the site, I didn't even know there was a forum!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,569 ✭✭✭✭Tallon

It needs all them features tbh.... I personally think the most important feature needed is a messaging system... Not everyone on there is on boards and as easy to contact as we're all used to

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,413 Mod ✭✭✭✭humberklog

I WANT SPARKLEY SHINEY GIFFS!!!! NOW!!!!!!

Thank god there wasn't an option....phew.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,458 ✭✭✭✭gandalf

Well if they organise some sort of importation tool from Flickr I'll move over. Moving over 1250 shots will be a pain in the nads otherwise!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,268 ✭✭✭trooney

Tallon wrote: »
    It needs all them features tbh.... I personally think the most important feature needed is a messaging system... Not everyone on there is on boards and as easy to contact as we're all used to

I don't use flickr. But whenever I browse through any photos there I find it to be very cluttered by comparison. I don't think it needs everything on the list. Certainly there are good few features there which would go some way to improving (an already good) functionality. But I'd hate to see it go the way of flickr and become ugly and cluttered and nasty.

As far as I know flickr won't give them an API key for importing photos... Cause it's not exactly a benefit to flickr...

And these were all suggested by people on twitter so many or may not be possible!

I don't get why some find Flickr cluttered? It's a pretty basic layout, even with add ons like Patr. I find it pretty clean and easy to navigate, the discussion groups are there but not in your face. You only find them if you want them.

Pix often feels like a lonely place if you're not getting comments. At times it feels like there's little point uploading to it, if there were groups for certain cameras/styles you'd certainly get more input.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,268 ✭✭✭trooney

I don't get why some find Flickr cluttered? It's a pretty basic layout, even with add ons like Patr. I find it pretty clean and easy to navigate, the discussion groups are there but not in your face. You only find them if you want them.

Pix often feels like a lonely place if you're not getting comments. At times it feels like there's little point uploading to it, if there were groups for certain cameras/styles you'd certainly get more input.

Flickr is cluttered by comparison with pix.ie, I think most would agree.

But that's because Pix.ie is so bare i think. It feels like there's something missing whenever I'm on there. Mainly interaction, the only way is to comment on people's images.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,676 ✭✭✭DaireQuinlan

trooney wrote: »
    Flickr is cluttered by comparison with pix.ie, I think most would agree.

I think you'd find as many people disagreeing. I hate the pix.ie interface, it's far too busy with large coloured bars and candy coloured buttons all over the place. Flickrs interface is far more spare and text based. Of course it's all just horses for courses at the end of the day ...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,689 ✭✭✭joeKel73

I much prefer the sharpness of the resized images on Flickr... Pix.ie seems a bit soft...

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 4,948 ✭✭✭pullandbang

I personally prefer Pix.ie over flickr mainly because it's Irish based and you can relate most of the photos and the photographers. If the powers that be can add even some of the suggestions that are being voted on, then it will be an even better site than it is now.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,137 ✭✭✭artyeva

I think you'd find as many people disagreeing. I hate the pix.ie interface, it's far too busy with large coloured bars and candy coloured buttons all over the place. Flickrs interface is far more spare and text based. Of course it's all just horses for courses at the end of the day ...

i say the same thing every time this ''isn't pix.ie the best thing since sliced bread'' debate come up.... NO IT ISN'T!!!! As Daire says it's way too busy - makes my eyes hurt. If someone here has linked to a pix.ie image 9 times out of ten i won't even bother clicking. i do understand that a lot of peeps here want to support what marcus et al are doing cause it's Oirish and we should support our own etc etc ad nauseum... and isn't it great that we have access to the founders of the site and back slappety back slappety... but i can't support something that makes my retinas bleed everytime i look at the damn thing, sorry!!

It doesn't look THAT bad!

I do think the ones who only post on Pix are a bit stubborn about it, when Flickr is definitely better. It gets your stuff out there Internationally, you don't just want to be seen by your Irish counter-parts.

Though there is of course a lot of nonsense on flickr, it's a great site in general. Just stick to the decent groups you actually have some interest in or relate to.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,569 ✭✭✭✭Tallon

Only took one page for this thread to turn into a flame war.... :rolleyes:

So getting back to the original question, what features do you think should be ahead of others?

Flame war? :confused:

I'd quite like to see an iPhone/iPod touch app!

If pix.ie don't get round to one I might give it a shot, Some time during my time at college :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,131 ✭✭✭oshead

So getting back to the original question, what features do you think should be ahead of others?

I agree. This is not about weather flickr is better or worse than pix or viceversa. It's about what new features you'd like to be added to pix.

A couple of features come to mind for me.

1) Replace image would be nice.
    2) Recently voted images.
    3) Edit comments
    4) Some group features.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,137 ✭✭✭artyeva

hardly a flame war :rolleyes:

anyhoo -> if pix.ie are looking to introduce new features in order to expand their usage then i for one vote for making the whole site less cluttered.

did i not say that?! :D

• Advertisement

I use both, so obviously would like to see Pix improved. It is far from perfect, it's pretty rough around the edges, but there's a solid site to build on for sure. You should join as many photo-sites as possible I believe.

Don't see any harm in comparing them, they're always going to be no matter what.

• Registered Users Posts: 802 ✭✭✭charybdis

I think this is the most salient complaint about pix.ie. Every page on pix.ie has a huge percentage of elements, colours, buttons, stats, lists, etc., vying for the user's attention, most of which aren't directly related to the photographs. Even the blossoming album javascript view thing, it's an example of poor information architecture when using a website to view photographs is like playing a video game. Flickr, on the other hand, while not being perfect and also having more facilities and options than you would realistically need, typically only gives you what you essentially need on each page you're looking at; often by just managing the chrome around the photographs a little better they can present a much cleaner view and obvious hierarchy to the page.

I suspect a lot of the design decisions for pix.ie were heavily based on the idea of the having the trappings of contemporary "2.0" websites as opposed to actually designing to the needs of the user. I'm not suggesting pix.ie copy Flickr outright, but I think Flickr gets a lot of these problems solved in the best way I've seen and differentiating yourself by being worse is hardly a reasonable proposition.

That said, this is all obviously just my opinion, and if it works for you then, by all means, continue in the manner to which you have become accustomed. It would be interesting, however, to hear the opinions of anyone using pix.ie who is not a boards.ie user and not Irish/living in Ireland; I couldn't really see how it would be an attractive service for anyone in this case.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,570 ✭✭✭sNarah

I mentioned this on the Pix poll as well, I would like to see visible comments on the email notifications, sort of same way the boards notifications come in. It's makes reading through the comments a lot easier, rather than having to click every link, load the image and read the comments.

Otherwise, I sort of agree with what is mentioned here above.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,676 ✭✭✭DaireQuinlan

Nah, it's hardly a flame war. Yet. :)

People have been saying this since its inception though, I remember Marcus polling boards for comments when the site was launched, and a pile of people commenting on the UI and general L&F of the site. Its also one of the options on the poll that's been posted now, so presumably they're aware that it puts some people off.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,067 ✭✭✭AnimalRights

charybdis wrote: »

That said, this is all obviously just my opinion, and if it works for you then, by all means, continue in the manner to which you have become accustomed.
    Whoo-hoo I can continue using it!
    Ur such a snob!!!
    Go on admit it, pixie is too working class for you!!

I guess I am at the other spectrum to you, I hate flickr, everything about it, I won't even view peoples pictures on it, hard to put my finger on it but I just think its too sticky to use compared to Pixie, Pixie is a good plain and easy to use for people without plums in their mouths. :pac:

Whoo-hoo I can continue using it!
    Ur such a snob!!!
    Go on admit it, pixie is too working class for you!!

I guess I am at the other spectrum to you, I hate flickr, everything about it, I won't even view peoples pictures on it, hard to put my finger on it but I just think its too sticky to use compared to Pixie, Pixie is a good plain and easy to use for people without plums in their mouths. :pac:

Ah yes, the age-old idea that good design is somehow inherently not for the proletariat. How, exactly, have I suggested that I am in any way that I am not working-class or opposed to the advancement of the working-class?

Also, I find it hypocritical that you're accusing someone of being a snob before announcing your absolute refusal to use a service on the grounds that you "hate" it for unknown reasons.

Ah yes, the age-old idea that good design is somehow inherently not for the proletariat. How, exactly, have I suggested that I am in any way that I am not working-class or opposed to the advancement of the working-class?

Also, I find it hypocritical that you're accusing someone of being a snob before announcing your absolute refusal to use a service on the grounds that you "hate" it for unknown reasons.

I find it hard to read anyone's post on a forum when that person has put a link in their sig to show that boards.ie has invalid XHTML, It's seems quite rude that you'd happily use the service but make a point( a joke even) that's it's not valid.. Why?

If you're going to do that on a site you're an active member of, Any of your comments on pix.ie aren't going to be the most positive of comments..

Ricky91t wrote: »
    I find it hard to read anyone's post on a forum when that person has put a link in their sig to show that boards.ie has invalid XHTML, It's seems quite rude that you'd happily use the service but make a point( a joke even) that's it's not valid.. Why?

If you're going to do that on a site you're an active member of, Any of your comments on pix.ie aren't going to be the most positive of comments..

What do you think the link in my signature means, beyond a statement of fact?

Furthermore, the reason I am critical of anything like this is that I see potential or use in it. I don't waste my time in being critical of things I have no interest in.

I am also a member of pix.ie and I feel my thoughts on the site are informed by my membership and use of the site.

What do you think the link in my signature means, beyond a statement of fact?
    It just seems that you'd like to point out very pointless details on a site that you're happily using and it seems rude.
    Furthermore, the reason I am critical of anything like this is that I see potential or use in it. I don't waste my time in being critical of things I have no interest in.
    From your post's you made it seems like you merely visited the site and were so off putted by their 'web 2.0' look that you left the site there and then.
    I am also a member of pix.ie and I feel my thoughts on the site are informed by my membership and use of the site.

Sorry for that I was unaware..

This made me think you weren't a member..
    That said, this is all obviously just my opinion, and if it works for you then, by all means, continue in the manner to which you have become accustomed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,392 ✭✭✭AnCatDubh

SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO........................

BACK ON TOPIC FOLKS PLEEEAAASSSSEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE................

(sorry for raising the tone of the chat there folks - just making a point)

Actually, can people please put their thoughts on the poll link in the opening post to make sure your voice is heard.

Don't really matter whether pix.ie is as good as flickr or not in terms of what is being sought.

Thank you folks. Normal service now resumes.

Advertisement