Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

shaping pix.ie

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,510 ✭✭✭sprinkles

Protection for full sized images would be nice.
    iPhone app would be great but it's not critical to the service.
    An iPhoto/Aperture upload facility would be great - at the minute I have to export to a separate folder from these apps and then upload from the browser - the Picasa upload add-on for iPhoto works a treat.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,756 ✭✭✭Thecageyone

The whole full size, freely available thing on pix makes me wary too. Unlike Flickr, where they will only make available full size if you want it to be.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,122 ✭✭✭nilhg

Proper groups, reading tags (keywords) from exif and a Lightroom to pix.ie plugin would be a good start IMHO.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,392 ✭✭✭AnCatDubh

The whole full size, freely available thing on pix makes me wary too. Unlike Flickr, where they will only make available full size if you want it to be.

Don't be so sure - If I want (and its not that i'm a genius or anything) I can get at any size of any image on flickr up to the original size, and sometimes the original size too. All they do is mask the size to a discernible filename which a little browser plug in interprets and gives the option of looking at any size that you want.

Best way whether pix.ie or flickr imho (albeit it mightn't be what you want to do) is to upload only images of a particular size (800px max for example) to the service. Then no one can possibly get at any image size larger than what you've uploaded.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,031 ✭✭✭Marcus

Great to see the passion is alive and kicking! Its very encouraging to see such debate about Pixie. We can't and won't try and please everybody...

Daire (sorry to pick on you!) loves Flickr look and feel and hates the Pixie look and feel and has been saying so since the beginning. Should we try to change the way Pixie looks in order to try and attract Daire and pals? We simply don't think so... What would all the people who love the Pixie look and feel say? One person's like is another person's dislike, that's the world we live in.

The photo album viewer is another example of this. The ONE thing I am told time and time again is "I absolutely love the photo album flower thingy". If I had a euro for each time I've heard that from people I meet at events I'd be a very rich man. So is charybdis right by saying:
    charybdis wrote: »
    Even the blossoming album javascript view thing, it's an example of poor information architecture when using a website to view photographs is like playing a video game.
    If there is one company that is leading the field in information architecture it's Apple... now go and have a look at their new iPad photo album viewer. Is charydbis right or wrong? It really doesn't matter. Enough people like it for us to continue using it.

So to get back on topic. This thread is about what improvements you would like us to do next as we are now in a position to look at making some of those improvements happen.

Looking at the results of the poll, it's clear that the top 3 features that people would like to see now are:
    • Drag and Drop Organiser
    • High Res Image Protection
    • Mobile Version
    So these are the areas where we are going to make our start. We are also planning on opening up the API for the public as there are a whole bunch of features on that list which could just as easily be implemented by members of the community in the form of 3rd party apps.

Thanks to everyone who commented here and took the time to answer the poll. It's not too late add your votes (http://poll.fm/1tgkk) or leave a comment about something you'd like to see which is not mentioned.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,281 ✭✭✭Ricky91t

Great to see the passion is alive and kicking! Its very encouraging to see such debate about Pixie. We can't and won't try and please everybody...

Daire (sorry to pick on you!) loves Flickr look and feel and hates the Pixie look and feel and has been saying so since the beginning. Should we try to change the way Pixie looks in order to try and attract Daire and pals? We simply don't think so... What would all the people who love the Pixie look and feel say? One person's like is another person's dislike, that's the world we live in.

The photo album viewer is another example of this. The ONE thing I am told time and time again is "I absolutely love the photo album flower thingy". If I had a euro for each time I've heard that from people I meet at events I'd be a very rich man. So is charybdis right by saying:

If there is one company that is leading the field in information architecture it's Apple... now go and have a look at their new iPad photo album viewer. Is charydbis right or wrong? It really doesn't matter. Enough people like it for us to continue using it.

So to get back on topic. This thread is about what improvements you would like us to do next as we are now in a position to look at making some of those improvements happen.

Looking at the results of the poll, it's clear that the top 3 features that people would like to see now are:
    • Drag and Drop Organiser
    • High Res Image Protection
    • Mobile Version
    So these are the areas where we are going to make our start. We are also planning on opening up the API for the public as there are a whole bunch of features on that list which could just as easily be implemented by members of the community in the form of 3rd party apps.

Thanks to everyone who commented here and took the time to answer the poll. It's not too late add your votes (http://poll.fm/1tgkk) or leave a comment about something you'd like to see which is not mentioned.

If that does go ahead that would be great! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 802 ✭✭✭charybdis

I like the website and think it gets a lot of things right (particularly the URL structure) and I didn't mean to say any one particular element was particularly bad, it just seems like the design (and even the premise for this thread/poll) is mostly determined by tacking on additional features of questionable relevance, or - if you will - bloat.

And, before anyone attempts a barely-literate and moronic slight against my character, please bear in mind that I'm offering feedback that is entirely within the scope of this thread.

I like the website and think it gets a lot of things right (particularly the URL structure) and I didn't mean to say any one particular element was particularly bad, it just seems like the design (and even the premise for this thread/poll) is mostly determined by tacking on additional features of questionable relevance, or - if you will - bloat.
    Persoanlly I actually agree with you on some of these issues. There are many areas where we don't properly optimise on use of space.
    And, before anyone attempts a barely-literate and moronic slight against my character, please bear in mind that I'm offering feedback that is entirely within the scope of this thread.

All feedback is important and negative feedback is in my opinion always more important than positive feedback. We've always valued the negative feedback and on many occassions made changes accordingly.

The mobile app is likely going to be a complete rewrite of the front end and having a new UI architecutre will allow us a lot more flexibility. The plan is to then port the existing UI across and in doing so make changes that will certainly clean things up. Daire might even be impressed ;)

For those who are interested I've posted an update regarding the changes at Pixie in our forum:

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=65913353

:)

• Registered Users Posts: 13,598 ✭✭✭✭thebaz

I'd like more control over albums - be able to move certain albums to first page - also be able to move order of pics around in an album , its nice to put an order to pics rather than by upload time , which is random

just a few thoughts

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,067 ✭✭✭AnimalRights

The order of pics in an album is a good one alright.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,316 ✭✭✭Mycroft H

I'd love a cleaner interface. I find pix.ie to be be quite cluttered

• Registered Users Posts: 2,852 ✭✭✭Hugh_C

I hate flickr, everything about it, I won't even view peoples pictures on it

?

Strikes me as cutting off your nose to spite your face.

Yeah, large image protection is an imperative.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,686 Mod ✭✭✭✭melekalikimaka

I havea pix and a flickr... tried to get into pix, dunno what it is bout it, it all seems like alot of hassle to upload compared to flickr, maybe its cos im flickr pro, unlimited upload and what not, its just i have over 1k of images, to use pix would take a while, the flickr - pix tool has been mentioned before, i've seen bebo to file applications... flickr to pix transfer wouldnt be a messy one would it? maybe when the api frees up people will pop some good stuff up for pix, an uploader too would be divine

Advertisement