Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Some Irish prhrases?!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,851 ✭✭✭PurpleFistMixer

Réidh means "ready", chun means "to", and breith means a bunch of things, but possibly "birth" would be apt in this case... So I would guess "ready to give birth"... Does that make any sense in context?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,759 ✭✭✭✭dlofnep

Don't think it means anything in that context - Réidh chun breith (Think that literally means - Ready to _______ birth/judge)? Maybe "Réidh chun breith a thabhairt?" Ready to give birth or to give judgement on an issue?

Not totally sure though - Haven't heard of breith being used in that way.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,089 ✭✭✭jefreywithonef

Sounds like part of a setence out of an An Triail question, so I'd say it refers to judgement.

Also:
    LazyClouds wrote: »
    how do i say:
    "you're a tall red head"??

Wha?! :D

Is ard ceann rua thú? Maybe!

LazyCloud, buy a focloir!

• Advertisement

• Registered Users Posts: 520 ✭✭✭LazyClouds

jsut found out it meant "ready to catch" in the context of gealt.
    thanks for your help though!:)

ok ok, so i got this sentence:
    caithfidh daoine óga dul is ngleic le fadhbanna nár smaoinigh a dtuismitheoirí riamh orthu
    which i think means young people are struggling with problems not thinking of their parents. am i right?
    well i was wandering if someone could perhaps give me a translation for something along the lines of:
    young people today are struggling with many problems including the following:
    thanks!:o

ok ok, so i got this sentence:
    caithfidh daoine óga dul is ngleic le fadhbanna nár smaoinigh a dtuismitheoirí riamh orthu
    which i think means young people are struggling with problems not thinking of their parents. am i right?

Afaik it means 'young people must get to grips with (or tackle) the problems that their parents never thought of.'
    well i was wandering if someone could perhaps give me a translation for something along the lines of:
    young people today are struggling with many problems including the following:

Not too sure how to say "including the following'' in Irish but maybe 'tá daoine óga inniu ag streachailt le go leor/mórán fadhbanna mar shampla:'. Mar shampla does the same job.

thanks man, could you also help me with:
    an leithleachas ar fad a bhaineann le saol an lae inniu
    does it mean only concerned with themselves?? i dont think thats right though...

• Advertisement

yeah more or less; 'the selfishness that is associated with life today' to be exact

ok heres another question sufficiently more difficult i reckon.
    im trying to translat this piece i found and rendering it to suit me, but the edge got cut off and im wandering what this word is (sea... something??), here it is in context:
    ní smaoiníonn daoine áirithe bhfuil na tréithe seo iontu ar aon duine eile sea... orthu féin.
    any suggestions???

'seachas', methinks.

ní smaoiníonn daoine áirithe [go?] bhfuil na tréithe seo iontu ar aon duine eile sea... orthu féin.
    certain peope don't think that these traits/characteristics are inside any one else but themselves.

oh, "go" must have been cut out too...
    thanks man.
    do you know what gafa le rachmas means??
    sorry about all this, its a really annoyingly long essay. dont know how im going to cope with the comprehensions...

Not sure in that context.. I know rachmas means wealth.

oh, "go" must have been cut out too...
    thanks man.
    do you know what gafa le rachmas means??
    sorry about all this, its a really annoyingly long essay. dont know how im going to cope with the comprehensions...

No problem. You should just post all your queries in one big post. The last one is 'Engulfed in wealth' btw.

Ah, I knew it was wealth. never heard the phrase "gafa le" though.

heres a few things then i need translating if you wouldnt mind. please and thankyou!!:o (theyre all things i either couldnt find in the dictionary or wouldnt make sense when i did translate them word for word):

níl sí tapaidh na glic níos mó

eirithe romhair

tuigeann sí an dá dhream (she brings 2 groups??)

glacann sí tréithe na mac (she agrees with the traits of her sons???)

huh... not as many as i thought... il have some more for tomorrow!!! hehe!:D

níl sí tapaidh na glic níos mó
    She's not fast or sly any more... ie her mind isn't as sharp as it used to be.
    eirithe romhair
    Not sure what romhair means here, maybe ramhar? in which case it'd mean "become/became fat" I suppose... As in "Tá sí éirithe ramhar", "she's become fat"... Seems like a strange way to put it.
    tuigeann sí an dá dhream (she brings 2 groups??)
    Tuig means "understand", so "she understands the two groups".
    glacann sí tréithe na mac (she agrees with the traits of her sons???)
    To agree is "aontaigh" - glac means "take/accept", so "she takes on the traits of her sons" (I guess we're talking about An Mháthair here...)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,454 ✭✭✭mink_man

nil aon suim agam i...x

• Advertisement

more stuff i need translating...:confused::

"séan orthu amach anseo"

"chun suimiú suas" (i think there might be a misspell there, thats why i cant translate it...)

"le sonrú" (ive used it a lot but i dont know exactly what it mean, with specification??)

"tá áit speisialta tuillte ag an máthair i stair na hÉireann" (i dont know what tuillte means in that sentence)

"níor shíl sí deora" (she doesnt think about crying?)

"tarlaíonn eachtra suntasach"

"rudaí úr nua"

"athfhás"

"luigh an file síos ar an gcaonach" (the poet mentions down on the moss?? should i just swap luigh for thit?)

"go fuíoch"

"d'imigh an tocht uaithi" (her emotions went away?)

"tá pictiúr de sheomra codlata an fhile" (it just doesnt make any sense to me...)

"d'fhill sí ar an seomra beag" (she turns back on the small room)

"bheannú úsáideann sí téarma ceana"

"dá mbéidis ina gcairde" (to make friends? im guessing?)

"an spás a lionadh" (and is lionadh supposed to have a fada on the i? it wasnt in the dictionary..:()

"i ndeireadh na dála" (at the end of the meeting? that doesnt make much sense in context)

instead of saying: "fuair sí grá i measc daoine eile" could i say: "fuair sí grá ó daoine eile"?

"is liric pearsanta bunaithe ar an ngrá é seo" (something about personal lyrics and love...)

any help would be much appreciated, thanks!!:D

"séan orthu amach anseo" - not entirely sure, 'amach anseo' means 'from now on', so maybe 'they'll be old from now on'?

"chun suimiú suas" (i think there might be a misspell there, thats why i cant translate it...) - not sure about this

"le sonrú" (ive used it a lot but i dont know exactly what it mean, with specification??) - 'to specify', methinks

"tá áit speisialta tuillte ag an máthair i stair na hÉireann" (i dont know what tuillte means in that sentence)

"níor shíl sí deora" (she doesnt think about crying?) - I don't think that makes sense on its own

"tarlaíonn eachtra suntasach" - noticeable event happens

"rudaí úr nua" - brand new things

"athfhás" - regrowth

"luigh an file síos ar an gcaonach" (the poet mentions down on the moss?? should i just swap luigh for thit?) - i think it means 'she lays down on the moss'. 'To mention' is 'luaigh'

"go fuíoch" - if this is taken from Dá mBfhéidir it means 'she cried relentlessly / furiously'

"d'imigh an tocht uaithi" (her emotions went away?)

"tá pictiúr de sheomra codlata an fhile" (it just doesnt make any sense to me...)

"d'fhill sí ar an seomra beag" (she turns back on the small room) - she returns to the small room

"bheannú úsáideann sí téarma ceana" - not sure about 'bheannú' but the rest means 'she uses the same term'

"dá mbéidis ina gcairde" (to make friends? im guessing?) yeah

"an spás a lionadh" (and is lionadh supposed to have a fada on the i? it wasnt in the dictionary..) - yep, líonadh. 'To fill the space.'

"i ndeireadh na dála" (at the end of the meeting? that doesnt make much sense in context) - 'at the end of the day' or 'ultimately'

instead of saying: "fuair sí grá i measc daoine eile" could i say: "fuair sí grá ó dhaoine eile"? - that translates as she got love from other people, alternatively maybe you could use 'fuair sí taitneamh as a bheith ina gcónaí le daoine eile' which means she got enjoyment from living with others

"is liric pearsanta bunaithe ar an ngrá é seo" (something about personal lyrics and love...) - it's a personal lyrics based on this love

Not sure about the other few I'm afraid.

Monzo wrote: »
    "séan orthu amach anseo" - not entirely sure, 'amach anseo' means 'from now on', so maybe 'they'll be old from now on'?
    You're thinking of sean, not séan... Séan is a verb that means "to deny/refuse" etc... so not really sure what this would mean.
    "chun suimiú suas" (i think there might be a misspell there, thats why i cant translate it...) - not sure about this
    Suimiú means addition, so... "to add up" or something? Seems a bit strange.
    Tuillte means "earned/deserved", so "The mother has earned a special place in the history of Ireland".
    "tá pictiúr de sheomra codlata an fhile"
    "There's a picture of the bedroom of the poet" or something weird.
    "d'fhill sí ar an seomra beag" (she turns back on the small room) - she returns to the small room
    Returned! Past tense. >.<

Ah, elementary error :/

thanks so much monzo and purple fist!!!
    you are thee best!!!:D

working on my aiste today, here are some more things i just cant seem to work out by my lonesome...:

"chomh maith ó thaobh ailse na craicne de"

"ní chóir dúinn a dhaoine uaisle" (daoine uaisle meang ladies and gents?)

"Is eol don saol"

"rud a chuirfidh leis an méid gorta agus tromlach sa domhain" (does that make sense? i cant really understand it. should agus be traded in for something else?)

might be back sometime during the week for more answers!!:D

working on my aiste today, here are some more things i just cant seem to work out by my lonesome...:

"chomh maith ó thaobh ailse na craicne de"
    Hm, this one's somewhat confusing at first. Breaking it down... "Chomh maith" is "as well". "Ó thaobh ... de" is sort of "in relation to" (from the side of), and "ailse" is cancer, and "craicne" is the plural of "craiceann", being skin. So basically, I would conclude, "as well as regarding skin cancer..."
    "ní chóir dúinn a dhaoine uaisle" (daoine uaisle meang ladies and gents?)
    Well, "cóir" is "justice" or "right", so "It's not right for us", then I assume there should be a comma in there, so it'd be like, "It's not right for us, ladies and gentlemen". I think...
    "Is eol don saol"
    Ah this has the look of a filler line and probably means something beyond the obvious, but I'm guessing "It's a fact of life", or something...
    "rud a chuirfidh leis an méid gorta agus tromlach sa domhain" (does that make sense? i cant really understand it. should agus be traded in for something else?)
    Literally, "Something that would add to the amount of famine and majority in the deep", but I'm assuming that "domhain" should be "domhan", thus turning "deep" into "world". It still doesn't make an awful lot of sense with the "tromlach" in there... Something adding to the majority in the world? Majority of what? : p But yeah, "cuir le" is "to add", anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 695 ✭✭✭TheSpecialOne

nil shil si deora ---she doesnt shed a tear!!

always throw in ag bualadh craiceann into the essay goes down a treat

nil shil si deora ---she doesnt shed a tear!!

always throw in ag bualadh craiceann into the essay goes down a treat

ok, im not a great translator, as you may have noticed, but does that mean "having sex"? in what context, exactly, should you have me put this in one of my essays?!
    hehehehe *innocent giggle*... sex!... as geailge!!...

• Advertisement

help with my translations??:D:

"tá an tionscadal tógála ag fulaingt go géir freisin"

moving on to an triail...

"gur mharaigh sí a leanbh toisc gur cailín í" (how she killed her child due to a girl??)

"dúirt sí leis gurb amhlaidh go rachadh sí sna mná rialta" (just making sure, it means she said she will become a nun?)

"gur cuireadh as an gcoláiste é mar gur chaith sé toitín"

im trying to translate the achoimre of an triail from skoool.ie so i can summarize it some more. does anyone know of a site that has a really nice broken down summary of an triail?? and i dont think il go out and buy any books at this late stage...

"gan focal a rá le h-éinne" (without a word to anyone?)

"gan scríobh chuige ach oiread"

"Bhí sórt órd an phósta acu ansin"

"dúirt sí leis an sagart san fhaoistin gur pheacaigh sí" (she said to him...?)

"a dúirt nach féidir an milleán a chur air" (unable to say who is to blame?)

ok so i didnt get through the entire summary... il get to it tomorrow.. has any1 by any chance translated that piece already?? *high pitched voice* by any chance???...

thanks!:D

Advertisement