Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Some Irish prhrases?!

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,851 ✭✭✭PurpleFistMixer

LazyClouds wrote: »
    help with my translations??:D:

"tá an tionscadal tógála ag fulaingt go géir freisin"
    "The building project is also suffering badly." Possibly it should be "tionscal" instead of "tionscadal" here, as tionscal means industry.
    "gur mharaigh sí a leanbh toisc gur cailín í" (how she killed her child due to a girl??)
    "... that she killed her child because she was a girl."
    "dúirt sí leis gurb amhlaidh go rachadh sí sna mná rialta" (just making sure, it means she said she will become a nun?)
    Oh, can't remember what amhlaidh means >.<, but basically yeah, she's going to become a nun.
    "gur cuireadh as an gcoláiste é mar gur chaith sé toitín"
    "That she was thrown out of the college because she smoked a cigarette"
    "gan focal a rá le h-éinne" (without a word to anyone?)
    Yup.
    "gan scríobh chuige ach oiread"
    "Not having written to him but a bit/once?"
    "Bhí sórt órd an phósta acu ansin"
    Okay, not too sure, but guessing, "They had the sense of a married couple about them"
    "dúirt sí leis an sagart san fhaoistin gur pheacaigh sí" (she said to him...?)
    "She said to the priest in the confessional that she had sinned"
    "a dúirt nach féidir an milleán a chur air" (unable to say who is to blame?)
    "...Who said one couldn't put the blame on him".. I think, it's sort of hard to get some of these without a context, as in, who's supposed to be speaking etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,089 ✭✭✭jefreywithonef

'
    help with my translations??:D:

"tá an tionscadal tógála ag fulaingt go géir freisin" - the building industry is suffering sourily(?) too. but it's along the lines of 'badly' / 'sharply'.

moving on to an triail...

"gur mharaigh sí a leanbh toisc gur cailín í" (how she killed her child due to a girl??) - that she killed her child due to her being a girl

"dúirt sí leis gurb amhlaidh go rachadh sí sna mná rialta" (just making sure, it means she said she will become a nun?) - something like 'she told him that it seemed as if she would 'go into' / become a nun'

"gur cuireadh as an gcoláiste é mar gur chaith sé toitín" - he was 'put out' / expelled from the college becayse he smoked a cig

im trying to translate the achoimre of an triail from skoool.ie so i can summarize it some more. does anyone know of a site that has a really nice broken down summary of an triail?? and i dont think il go out and buy any books at this late stage... - afraid I can't help ya here.

"gan focal a rá le h-éinne" (without a word to anyone?) - yup

"gan scríobh chuige ach oiread" - without writing to him either or maybe not to write to him either (i think). ach oiread means either.

"Bhí sórt órd an phósta acu ansin" - they had a sort of marriage then

"dúirt sí leis an sagart san fhaoistin gur pheacaigh sí" (she said to him...?) - she said to the priest in confession that she sinned

"a dúirt nach féidir an milleán a chur air" (unable to say who is to blame?) - who said the blame couldn't be put on him (i think)

ok so i didnt get through the entire summary... il get to it tomorrow.. has any1 by any chance translated that piece already?? *high pitched voice* by any chance???...

thanks!:D

dammit PurpleFistMixer! The fastest typer of the east :D

;) Well you can always correct me!

• Registered Users Posts: 520 ✭✭✭LazyClouds

"Feicimid Aturnae 1 ag iarraidh orainn a bheith mar ghiúire" (he attempted to *something* the jury?)

"Faighimid amach gur lean an mháthair ag ceistiú Seán go dtí gur sceith sé ar Mháire." (we get out following the mother questioning sean aout maire?)

"Áit a bhí ann a bhí 'chomh te le hIfreann'" (the place there was "...?...")

"D'fhág sí agus an leanbh an Teach Tearmainn " (she left with the child...?)

"Thit an teach ina raibh siad ina gcónaí ann anuas" (the house fell into their possession?)

"rómhór dá bróga"

"nach mbeidh sí "ina hóinsín bhog ghéilliúil ag aon fhear." (she wont be "... submissive to any man"?)

"Sheas Pádraig ar bhruach na huaighe"

Please and thankyou!!!:D

• Advertisement

"Feicimid Aturnae 1 ag iarraidh orainn a bheith mar ghiúire" (he attempted to *something* the jury?)
    "We see Aturnae 1 asking us to be a jury" it seems... "Jury" is giúiré" according to focal.ie, btw.
    "Faighimid amach gur lean an mháthair ag ceistiú Seán go dtí gur sceith sé ar Mháire." (we get out following the mother questioning sean aout maire?)
    "We find out that the mother continued questioning Seán until she found out about Máire" ... Okay, the 2nd online dictionary I use is down today so I'm not entirely sure what sceith means, but judging from context that's what it's on about...
    "Áit a bhí ann a bhí 'chomh te le hIfreann'" (the place there was "...?...")
    Ifrean is hell, te is hot. "A place that there was that was as hot as hell". If you'd looked up Ifreann and te in a dictionary I think this would have become pretty obvious. : p
    "D'fhág sí agus an leanbh an Teach Tearmainn " (she left with the child...?)
    "She and the child left the asylum house".
    "Thit an teach ina raibh siad ina gcónaí ann anuas" (the house fell into their possession?)
    "The house in which they'd been living fell down".
    "rómhór dá bróga"
    "Too big for her shoes".
    "nach mbeidh sí "ina hóinsín bhog ghéilliúil ag aon fhear." (she wont be "... submissive to any man"?)
    "That she won't be a soft subservient fool to any man", so yeah.
    "Sheas Pádraig ar bhruach na huaighe"
    Bruach = bank, uaigh = grave, "Pádraig stood on the edge/bank of the grave".

I feel like I've studied An Triail myself now...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10 muscle--museum

dlofnep wrote: »
    I'm not a gaelgoir, so this might not be grammatically correct.

Táim ag déanamh é don múinteoireacht bunscoil. Téim go dtí cúrsa óiche Dé Luain agus cabhraigh sé liom. Tá 15 mac léinn (pl?) eile sa rang. Rinne mé gnáth leibhéal annuraigh don Ardteist, agus tosaigh mé ach cúpla mí ó shin..
    corrections.. don mHuinteoireacht bunscoilE (t.g.)...... agus cabhrIONN se liom... CUIG mHic leinn deag..... anuraigh.... nior thosaigh me ach cupla mHi o shin...

"We find out that the mother continued questioning Seán until she found out about Máire" ... Okay, the 2nd online dictionary I use is down today so I'm not entirely sure what sceith means, but judging from context that's what it's on about...

Sceith in that context means 'to betray' so ''we find out that the mother continued questioning Seán until he [Seán] betrayed Máire.'' (He betrayed her by informing the mother that Máire hadn't been going to confession and that she had morning sickness.)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 94 ✭✭paddyboy23

are these anygood to you,

goway ourthat
    begoro
    bejesus i wont

Advertisement