Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Wisdom of Noel Gallagher

Options
13»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 122 ✭✭Half-Bicycle

Giblet wrote:
    No, we were having a good thread before you all showed up. You are having the same argument everyone has anytime Oasis pops up, or Nirvana etc etc.

I've never slagged off Oasis here before, far as I'm aware. And Nirvana I have no problems with whatsoever.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,977 ✭✭✭✭Giblet

Keyzer wrote:
    Lets get back to the funnies before Giblet bans us...

Why would I ban anyone? I might have closed the thread. Feel free to start your own thread discussing anything you'd like, just don't use other threads as a vessel.

• Registered Users Posts: 750 ✭✭✭Bungalow Bill

A good Liam one:

“Americans want grungy people, stabbing themselves in the head on stage. They get a bright bunch like us, with deodorant on, they don't get it.”
    - Liam

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,643 ✭✭✭magpie

Noel on the new pope:
    "If the last Pope was called JOHN PAUL, the new one shoulda been called GEORGE RINGO."

Liam again:

I'd rather look back in my career - or whatever the f*cking hell it is - in 20 years' time and sit next to Bono and Coldplay geezer and all these other f*cking lightweights and go, Well you didn't save the world, so you can f*ck off...and you - you! - you can wash your hand.

I can sit next to Elvis, Lennon or whoever and I won't feel out of place [...] And I'll tell you another thing... If you see Coldplay in there, you'll know it's f*cking rigged.

• Advertisement

And an absolute classic:

Liam On God:
    "If a guy suddenly appears before me with a big beard and locks and all that caper and performed some f***ing miracle, and then said to me, 'Liam, I am God' I'd say, 'Fair enough, it's a fair cop. I didn't believe in you but fair play, you've got me.' But until that day comes he can f*** right off."

big beard and locks and all that caper

:)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,005 ✭✭✭Creature

Heh this thread is excellent. Brightened up my day :)

Here's some more I found:

"We're not arrogant, we just believe we're the best band in the world."

"Liam's leaving the band this very minute. Liam's ALWAYS leaving the band. It's raining today so he's leaving the band 'cos it's raining. He threatened to leave in Minneapolis because I wouldn't go to a pub with him!" - On questions of Liam leaving the band.

"A lot of bands split up over stupid arguments. I tend to keep my mouth shut a lot more now and just go home and kick the neighbour's cat."

• Closed Accounts Posts: 133 ✭✭Jimmy_Jazz

Noel on trying to get the right performance out of Liam in the studio:

"Every time I say to Liam, You might want to try and back off on that, the words he hears in his head are, 'Your two sons are lesbian Nazis.'"

• Registered Users Posts: 4,889 ✭✭✭Third_Echelon

Ah yes the Liam and Noel quotes are genius...

Less of the muppetry fokes and more of the quotes...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

Brilliant thread. People mightn't like their music which is fair enough, (their perogative) but I think everyone has to agree, they're funny fúckers!

B.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭demanufactured

There a couple of knobheads lol

My girlfriend actually banned them from a pub she ran in manchester once

Noel on Robbie Williams. Class, of course.

So you and Robbie are not friends any more then?
    I've never been his friend. He was Liam's friend. Liam used to invite him to the gigs and stuff like that. I've been in dressing rooms with him, I've had conversations with him but I wouldn't even consider him to be a friend of mine.

Why?
    Because he was in Take That! He's a fat dancer from Take That. Somebody who danced for a living! Stick to what you're good at, that's what I always say.

• Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭catching_streams

OASIS SNUB ROYAL INVITE

OASIS star NOEL GALLAGHER has revealed he turned down the chance to visit British monarch QUEEN ELIZABETH II at Buckingham Palace last year (04), because he has no respect for the royal family.

The rocker admits he was surprised by the odd invite to the Queen's London residence, but had no intention of honouring it.

He says, "We wouldn't go. Royalty - they're not from a world I can comprehend.

"I don't know where they come from or what they do or what their role is in life or who the f**k they think they are."

Lest we forget 10 Downing Street to hob nob with Tony Bliar ::) However he does regret it big time, just caught up in the moment i suppose, but it was disgraceful. Still im loving this new article. Never forget his roots..Legend...on another note I think Don't Believe The Truth is a fantastic album, was expecting the same derivative ****e as the last 2 but this is really good. Seems they have redeemed themselves considerably. Importance Of Being Idle, Keep The Dream Alive, Let There Be Love and I Can See You Now are terrific IMHO.

I can think of one quote which turned my stomach at the time, printed in The Observer when Noel said he wished Damon Albarn and Alex James of Blur would
    "catch AIDS and die". :(

Not very clever, even by Noel's standards.

I can think of one quote which turned my stomach at the time, printed in The Observer when Noel said he wished Damon Albarn and Alex James of Blur would
    "catch AIDS and die". :(

Not very clever, even by Noel's standards.

I don't believe that. Link?

BaZmO* wrote:
    I don't believe that. Link?

Yes, it's tough when your heroes let you down :p

When I heard years after that Bowie gave a nazi salute at Victoria, I was a bit gutted but that's cocaine-addled genius for you.

Don't have the time to google the Noel comment but I'm sure you'll find it somewhere.

It happened maybe some 10 years ago & that's when I stopped playing Morning Glory, for a few years, tbh.

Plenty of musicians say stupid things, they weren't the first and won't be the last - it should be so that you should be able separate the music from the, eh, "artist" but since popular culture these days dictates that the said "artist" or name/brand is often more important than the product... well, it's not easy.

Anyway, NG said it and was roundly (and rightly) condemned and I'm pretty sure he made some sort of apology. Be surprised if he didn't.

I wouldn't call him a "Hero" of mine, although I have quoted him in my sig but in fairness I would've quoted whomever made that comment.

Just done a quick Google and found this

He actually did say it. Below is his retraction.
    During the height of the Blur vs Oasis media battle, Noel gave an interview
    with the national newspaper the Observer. Printed in the middle of September,
    Noel was quoted as saying he wished Alex James and Damon Albarn of Blur would
    "catch AIDS and die". Obviously this was not the kind of thing to impress the
    world. I think his letter to Melody Maker the week after the incident sums
    up what happened:

"I would like to apologise to all concerned who took offence
    at my comments about Damon Albarn and Alex Jaes in an Observer
    article printed last Sunday.

"The off-the-cuff remark was made last month at the height of
    a "war of words" between both bands, and it must have been the
    50th time during that interview that I was pressed to give an
    opinion of Blur. As soon as I said it, I realised it was an
    insensitive thing to say as AIDS is no joking matter, and
    immediately retracted the comment, but was horrified to pick up
    The Observer and find the journalist concerned chose to still
    run with it.

"Anyone who knows me will confirm that I've always ben sympathetic
    with the plight of HIV carriers and AIDS sufferers, as well as
    being supportive of the challenge to raise awareness about AIDS
    and HIV.

"Although not being a fan of their music, I wish both Damon and
    Alex a long and healthy life."

B.

Love this bit "As soon as I said it, I realised it was an
    insensitive thing to say as AIDS is no joking matter, and
    immediately retracted the comment, but was horrified to pick up
    The Observer and find the journalist concerned chose to still
    run with it."

Bloody hacks! It's all their fault! :rolleyes:

Yeah, a bit silly to blame the reporter. As if he wasn't going to print it!

But I suppose NG had to say something to defend himself. Silly Boy!

B.

• Advertisement

When I heard years after that Bowie gave a nazi salute at Victoria,

Well, he had just arrived back from Berlin, after all.

"Hello Sao Paulo, my name is Noel, but you can call me God"

Advertisement