Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Wisdom of Noel Gallagher

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,643 ✭✭✭magpie

Eno is best known for his solo work and his days in early Roxy Music. Yes he happens to be a producer and has worked with quite a few talented bands, including Talking Heads.

Why am I getting Deja Vu?

"Tommy can you hear me?"

• Registered Users Posts: 11,987 ✭✭✭✭zAbbo

So Oasis are making crap ripped off music and selling it to idiots who dont know much about music, well why isn't every other band in the world taking a piono riff from the white album, mixing it with some sex pistols vocals, and finishing it with some funky T-rex guitars.

Good borrows, genius steals.

Oasis caught the imagination of the times, when the decade came of an acid loop, and music was a wishwash of dance crap and xworks jeans, came Oasis, touted as the New Beatles, with some cracking songs to match, Get the first 20 oasis singles, with the main song and 3 'B' side tracks that were easily better than anything done at the time.

I began listening to them in 94, got sick of them by 96, but can't fault most of there first 3 albums.

Don't worry about some people here, some have there valid opinion, others, well its just fashionable to slag oasis, about as fashionable as wearing charity wristbands

Now if someone can post more of those ad libs from Radio1 interviews

• Closed Accounts Posts: 122 ✭✭Half-Bicycle

It's not about being fashionable bazH. If I wanted to be part of the in crowd, I'd probably be singing their praises too. Their second album was ok, I'll give them that. ;)

That deaf, dumb and blind half-bicycle sure plays a mean pinball.

• Registered Users Posts: 750 ✭✭✭Bungalow Bill

I am anything but a wind-up merchant and I don't think its unreasonable to judge somebody by their most famous work.

As for oasis and you lot churning out your meaningless 'pub rock' tired clichés its just stupid. I guarantee you that none of those artists have a back catalogue anywhere near in quality to Oasis. Back in the day Oasis were putting out classic songs as b-sides. As Noel said recently "If a band like Razorlight came out with a song like 'fade away', game over man".

Noel Gallagher is a genius and if he had done the sensible thing and killed himself you would say that too. Of course he has continued to release a lot of music and in there of course are some faults. I heard Jeff Buckley's sketches and they were nowhere near anything as good as the stuff on Grace.

• Advertisement

magpie wrote:
    That deaf, dumb and blind half-bicycle sure plays a mean pinball.

Damn right! :D

I am anything but a wind-up merchant ... I guarantee you that none of those artists have a back catalogue anywhere near in quality to Oasis.

Wind-up merchant. I rest my case.

Whatever, you listen to your alternative upper class music and i'll be in manchester and marlay park with 80,000 other fools having the time of my life.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,331 ✭✭✭Keyzer

****in' road to nowhere! crap song. Hendrix was a great guitarist but only had a handful of good songs. Buckley is most famous for doing a cover, Eno for being U2's producer and the rest of them, if they were any use I would have heard more by them.
    Oasis have more great songs than that lot put together.
    "musical equivalent of what the sun is to the masses"?? please, don't be a musical snob there is nothing worse.
    Oasis are still better than most of the big bands out at the moment. Franz Ferdinand, Snow patrol, scissor sisters, killers, futureheads.

You have just dug your own grave and demonstrated your immense lack of musical knowledge...

Talking heads were a phenomenal band, check out "Stop makking sense", there are songs on that album that Noel Gallaghers dreams he wrote....

Jimi Hendrix is one of the most influential guitarists of all time, and along with that he wrote masterpieces...

Eno is a genius, a musical genius, if you ever get the chance to see the documentary on the making of the "Joshua Tree" you would understand...

Jeff Buckley wipes the floor with Noel Gallagher in terms of songwriting and musicianship...

You need to wake up and open your ears. Stop listening to the h0rsesh1t thats on the radio nowadays and dig up the stuff from the past. You'll realise then that Oasis are mediocre compared to these real legends....

alternative upper class music .

:confused::confused::confused:

• Advertisement

I am anything but a wind-up merchant and I don't think its unreasonable to judge somebody by their most famous work.

As for oasis and you lot churning out your meaningless 'pub rock' tired clichés its just stupid. I guarantee you that none of those artists have a back catalogue anywhere near in quality to Oasis. Back in the day Oasis were putting out classic songs as b-sides. As Noel said recently "If a band like Razorlight came out with a song like 'fade away', game over man".

Noel Gallagher is a genius and if he had done the sensible thing and killed himself you would say that too. Of course he has continued to release a lot of music and in there of course are some faults. I heard Jeff Buckley's sketches and they were nowhere near anything as good as the stuff on Grace.

Your even stupider (if there is such a word) than I initially thought...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,077 ✭✭✭parasite

back to the quotes :
    Oasis singer Liam Gallagher tonight branded Beatles hero George Harrison "a nipple" for calling him "silly" in an escalating exchange of insults. It follows reports that another former Beatle Sir Paul McCartney thought Oasis "derivative" and "full of themselves." Harrison reportedly said last year as Oasis were on the verge of splitting that they would be better off without "the silly one" -Liam.

In typically invective strewn style, Gallagher told MTV News tonight: "I still love George Harrison as a songwriter, but as a person he's a nipple, and if I ever meet him I'll tell him. If you're watching - Nipple!"

Clearly hurt, Liam said: "He doesn't know me so what's he on about? It goes to show that all that time in the Beatles and he's still stupid. He's the silly one because he reads the press. How does he know I'm silly? I've got four GCSEs, I'm not silly."

Gallagher dedicated Thursday night's Earls Court performance of Stay Young "to all the old farts".
    Harrison, 54, was also reported recently in French paper Figaro as saying Oasis would not be remembered in 30 years like the Beatles were.

But afterwards he issued a statement saying he had never spoken about Oasis in the interview and didn't care about them oneway or another. Harrison did attack other modern acts in the Figaro article, saying the Spice Girls were better with the sound turned down, and
    that U2 were egoists out to make money.

U2's Bono advised: "He should get back to the Sunshine Home for the Bewildered."

Sir Paul also claimed his comments had been taken out of context in last week's interview with The New Statesman, and that in fact he liked Oasis both personally and as musicians

Which do you prefer, Blur or Oasis?

Someone lock this thread for the love of God

I have listened to Hendrix and Buckley, yes I don't know too much about the other groups but as I said their most famous work definitely did not endear me to them.
    Grace is good and I do like it but it is not very versatile is it? Hendrix, who I respect as a guitarist wasn't IMO that good a songwriter. I can only count about 7 or 8 great songs.

My point about snowpatrol and all that was just to point out their relevance to todays scene.
    I also listen to Dylan, the smiths, beatles, bowie, stone roses, u2, radiohead, the who, nirvana, sex pistols, elliot smith, belle and sebastian, jack johnson, libertines, rory gallagher, rolling stones, the jam, the kinks and I would easily place Oasis in the top three in that list.
    I do actually have a very extensive knowledge of music, but it takes a song or two to get me into a band and 'road to nowhere' wasn' endearing at all.

magpie wrote:
    Which do you prefer, Blur or Oasis?

Someone lock this thread for the love of God

Lets just stop trying to educate a musical numbskull...
    Back to funnies....

:confused::confused::confused:

it was in relation to someone's comment about oasis being the musical equivalent of 'the sun' to the masses.

I have listened to Hendrix and Buckley, yes I don't know too much about the other groups but as I said their most famous work definitely did not endear me to them.
    Grace is good and I do like it but it is not very versatile is it? Hendrix, who I respect as a guitarist wasn't IMO that good a songwriter. I can only count about 7 or 8 great songs.

My point about snowpatrol and all that was just to point out their relevance to todays scene.
    I also listen to Dylan, the smiths, beatles, bowie, stone roses, u2, radiohead, the who, nirvana, sex pistols, elliot smith, belle and sebastian, jack johnson, libertines, rory gallagher, rolling stones, the jam, the kinks and I would easily place Oasis in the top three in that list.
    I do actually have a very extensive knowledge of music, but it takes a song or two to get me into a band and 'road to nowhere' wasn' endearing at all.

Listen, I'm not arguing with you, all I know is that Oasis's first album was good, very good. After that its downhill. As Noel said himself, the best songs went on Defo Maybe, then the second best songs went on Whats the story, and be here now got all the crap ones. Thats from the guy who wrote them.
    He doesn't even acknowledge be here now. What does that tell you?

I put my hand on my heart and say now that Oasis have not got one song, not one, that is better than anything U2 have written, never mind the other people I mentioned. U2 fluted around for a few years with dance beats and stuff, but they came back to what they do best and thats write great songs. Although I'm not a huge fan of atomic band, when I stick on "Where the streets have no name" I close my eyes and the hairs on the back of my neck stand up... Oasis never have and never will have that " musical" power....

yes I don't know too much about the other groups but as I said their most famous work definitely did not endear me to them.. I do actually have a very extensive knowledge of music, but it takes a song or two to get me into a band and 'road to nowhere' wasn' endearing at all.

So you've listen to the commercial radio-friendly chart stuff and judged them on that then. Fair enough, if I only knew what I heard of certain bands by their playlist on mainstream radio I probably would shrug my shoulders with indifference too.

Oasis are tabloid fodder and like the Pistols give great copy. Also like the Pistols, they show that you dont have to be a musical virtuoso and anyone can pick up a guitar and strum a few chords.

That's where the comparison ends, mind.

Keyzer wrote:
    Listen, I'm not arguing with you, all I know is that Oasis's first album was good, very good. After that its downhill. As Noel said himself, the best songs went on Defo Maybe, then the second best songs went on Whats the story, and be here now got all the crap ones. Thats from the guy who wrote them.
    He doesn't even acknowledge be here now. What does that tell you?

I put my hand on my heart and say now that Oasis have not got one song, not one, that is better than anything U2 have written, never mind the other people I mentioned. U2 fluted around for a few years with dance beats and stuff, but they came back to what they do best and thats write great songs. Although I'm not a huge fan of atomic band, when I stick on "Where the streets have no name" I close my eyes and the hairs on the back of my neck stand up... Oasis never have and never will have that " musical" power....

And I feel the very same way about oasis. Noel has also said that the worst oasis songs are 'whatever', 'round are way', and 'roll with it' so I think he has a warped perspective on things! I can see a liar any one? :)

I think that U2 are really good though and they get a hard time from the same type of people for the same silly reasons, eg, boring songs, no musical progression kind of non-arguments, so I thought someone like you might see where I am coming from.

So you've listen to the commercial radio-friendly chart stuff and judged them on that then. Fair enough, if I only knew what I heard of certain bands by their playlist on mainstream radio I probably would shrug my shoulders with indifference too.

Oasis are tabloid fodder and like the Pistols give great copy. Also like the Pistols, they show that you dont have to be a musical virtuoso and anyone can pick up a guitar and strum a few chords.

That's where the comparison ends, mind.

Oh come on, that is how everybody gets into a band. You can't expect me to get some obscure track by a band I dont know ahead of their most famous one surely?
    Pete Doherty is also tabloid fodder, it shouldn't diminish his contribution to music though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,977 ✭✭✭✭Giblet

Guys, cop on. As hilarious as it is to watch people argue over which artist has more integrity based on how popular they are to the masses, it's a tired argument. I couldn't care less if you hate Noel Gallagher or Oasis for whatever reasons, musical snobbery pisses me off, and as far as I'm concerned you're all full of crap trying to justify this and that or why you shouldn't listen to this because you think something else is better. Keep it on topic.

Keep it on topic.

Hear hear!

Oh come on, that is how everybody gets into a band. You can't expect me to get some obscure track by a band I dont know ahead of their most famous one surely?
    Pete Doherty is also tabloid fodder, it shouldn't diminish his contribution to music though.

Ask yourself why some songs are deemed obscure and some aren't. It's about playlists, shifting units, product, making filthy lucre. It's about so-called safe sounds. Trust me, there's something joyous about discovering a new or old band that you previously dismissed. Where do Oasis get their influences from -that's a starting point in the world of musical discovery. Listen to a band, trace their influences, open your mind to a myriad of different sounds. I sound patronising now, Bill. Apologies but it doesn't always begin and end with verse, chorus, verse.

Giblet wrote:
    Keep it on topic.

Sorry peeps.

Giblet wrote:
    Guys, cop on. As hilarious as it is to watch people argue over which artist has more integrity based on how popular they are to the masses, it's a tired argument. I couldn't care less if you hate Noel Gallagher or Oasis for whatever reasons, musical snobbery pisses me off, and as far as I'm concerned you're all full of crap trying to justify this and that or why you shouldn't listen to this because you think something else is better. Keep it on topic.

I agree that we've gone off topic but there's no need to patronise the whole lot of us, we were having a good argument before you turned up....

Ask yourself why some songs are deemed obscure and some aren't. It's about playlists, shifting units, product, making filthy lucre. It's about so-called safe sounds. Trust me, there's something joyous about discovering a new or old band that you previously dismissed. Where do Oasis get their influences from -that's a starting point in the world of musical discovery. Listen to a band, trace their influences, open your mind to a myriad of different sounds. I sound patronising now, Bill. Apologies but it doesn't always begin and end with verse, chorus, verse.

I've already said that I do listen to a lot of music and am a musician myself but through all that Oasis, as the first band I really loved, have remained very near the top of the list.
    I like a but of jazz and a bit of classical but tbh my first love is with the pop song and that short blast of entertainment.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,977 ✭✭✭✭Giblet

Keyzer wrote:
    I agree that we've gone off topic but there's no need to patronise the whole lot of us, we were having a good argument before you turned up....

No, we were having a good thread before you all showed up. You are having the same argument everyone has anytime Oasis pops up, or Nirvana etc etc.

Giblet wrote:
    No, we were having a good thread before you all showed up. You are having the same argument everyone has anytime Oasis pops up, or Nirvana etc etc.

I do agree with you but I just can't resist defending oasis any time someone comes out with some snide comment...its an illness really.. :o

Giblet wrote:

You didn't contribute to the thread until you told us all to shut up....
    Anyway, we were having a good argument but pointless inevitably..
    Lets get back to the funnies before Giblet bans us...

• Advertisement

There was a really funny period when doing a bunch of promotional interviews in America recently where he told them all that the album was called 'The ear has no memory'" just taking the piss !! who else would do that!!

Advertisement