Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Recommend electric folding scooter for end of commute (Mod Note Post #1)

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,651 ✭✭✭✭beauf

What the tax and insurance like on the electric Moped?

LeeroyJ. wrote: »
    My wife got an electric Moped, the smaller scooter I use isn't viable for her as she commutes from D1 to Santry. She gets about 60km range per charge. The Battery is removable, you just plug it in inside the house. They are a good alternative to Petrol Mopeds.

Have you got a link ? interesting.

• Registered Users Posts: 711 ✭✭✭LeeroyJ.

beauf wrote: »
    What the tax and insurance like on the electric Moped?

She pays around 400 Total with Road Tax and full insurance including theft (they get stolen quite frequently in Dublin)

This is the moped https://www.niu.com/en/n-series/

• Registered Users Posts: 711 ✭✭✭LeeroyJ.

Have you got a link ? interesting.

https://www.niu.com/en/n-series/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,311 ✭✭✭✭weldoninhio

Was it expensive??

• Advertisement

Cool, thanks for the link, what speed does it do?

I remember one of my Ebike builds having over 5.5 Kw and over 7 Kw peak! :eek: But boy was it fun.

400 Euro for insurance seems excessive for such low power and speed ? but at least your Wife is a lot safer than on those other tiny electric scooters I see People whizzing around on.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,393 ✭✭✭Grassey

400 Euro for insurance

Looks like 35ish of that is the Road Motor tax

I'm just looking again at the scooter specs, 7 hr charge time for a 29 Ah battery is way too long with todays available tech.

29 Ah means that the battery charger is around 4 amps which is really poor by Today's standards, should be able to charge at 8 amps at least.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,762 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

Cool, thanks for the link, what speed does it do?

I remember one of my Ebike builds having over 5.5 Kw and over 7 Kw peak! :eek: But boy was it fun.

400 Euro for insurance seems excessive for such low power and speed ? but at least your Wife is a lot safer than on those other tiny electric scooters I see People whizzing around on.

It’s a motorcycle essentially. Greater risk. As with all bikes.
    My KTM 690SM was over double, nearly treble the insurance as my Model S Perfomance!

Gumbo wrote: »
    It’s a motorcycle essentially. Greater risk. As with all bikes.
    My KTM 690SM was over double, nearly treble the insurance as my Model S Perfomance!

1800 Watts ? that's many, many times away from a motorcycle with a 45/50 Km/hr limit, that kind of insurance is a joke.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 5,921 Mod ✭✭✭✭graememk

1800 Watts ? that's many, many times away from a motorcycle with a 45/50 Km/hr limit, that kind of insurance is a joke.

Including theft, so that could be the biggest end of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,286 ✭✭✭seligehgit

https://www.buyitdirect.ie/p/xiaomi-mi-electric-scooter-fbc4013gl#!#reviews

Anybody heard of this crowd?

Seems like a great price pre delivery costs versus €559.00 in my local Halfords.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,002 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

seligehgit wrote: »

Seems like a great price pre delivery costs versus €559.00 in my local Halfords.

I ordered some stuff from them Friday ....... hopefully to be delivered next Friday.

I should know then ...... one way or the other :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,409 ✭✭✭...Ghost...

This company has a few different names. I know them as Laptops Direct. Ordered a SurfacePro6 a couple weeks ago for my wife at a good price. I had it sent to Parcel Motel for cheaper (free) delivery.

The power supply is faulty. I mailed them on Wednesday and got a reply Friday with a suggestion I deal with the manufacturer directly. I mailed them back to say I prefer dealing with the company I purchase from and I await their reply.

I actually have a spare power supply, so it's not a big deal, but the one we received was generating quite a bit of feedback and heat. I was surprised they weren't more on top of it when I got in touch.

Stay Free

This company has a few different names. I know them as Laptops Direct. Ordered a SurfacePro6 a couple weeks ago for my wife at a good price. I had it sent to Parcel Motel for cheaper (free) delivery.

The power supply is faulty. I mailed them on Wednesday and got a reply Friday with a suggestion I deal with the manufacturer directly. I mailed them back to say I prefer dealing with the company I purchase from and I await their reply.

I actually have a spare power supply, so it's not a big deal, but the one we received was generating quite a bit of feedback and heat. I was surprised they weren't more on top of it when I got in touch.

Thanks for the feedback.

Obviously as the seller they should be dealing with the manufacturer on your behalf.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,379 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

If it is very cheap I would be wary that it might be a fake one.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,002 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

I ordered some stuff from them Friday ....... hopefully to be delivered next Friday.

I should know then ...... one way or the other :D

Got an email this morning telling me the item has been dispatched.
    It also included a tracking number (DPD) and an indication it is on a 2 day delivery.

We'll see ........

rubadub wrote: »
    If it is very cheap I would be wary that it might be a fake one.

Decided to go with my local Halfords.

80 euro delivery charge put me off and I'd a peak on trustpilot too.

• Registered Users Posts: 152 ✭✭Martynet

It's still very expensive. It's the old model of m365. Can be found for under €300 when there's a deal on Bangood or Gearbest.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,462 ✭✭✭Tinder Surprise

I'd really like an electric scooter- but I'd really like not to end up in court more

So what's the craic? Tax and insurance required?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,093 ✭✭✭championc

By all accounts, I don't believe that there have been any reports of arrests in relation to the use of e-scooters on the streets in recent times, and there is no doubt that the numbers out there have ballooned. I think, by and large, people who use them are using them responsibly, and the law enforcers would appear to be seeing things the same way too.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,379 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

Tax and insurance required?
    Yes but you will not get it as I don't think any companies will take it on, it might not be legally possible either regardless of the cost . If it is treated like a vehicle then most of them will probably fail requirements, e.g. I imagine the rear light has to be a certain level off the ground, and wearing a light on your back might not be good enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,462 ✭✭✭Tinder Surprise

championc wrote: »
    By all accounts, I don't believe that there have been any reports of arrests in relation to the use of e-scooters on the streets in recent times, and there is no doubt that the numbers out there have ballooned. I think, by and large, people who use them are using them responsibly, and the law enforcers would appear to be seeing things the same way too.

Still tho I don't like the thought of ending up in court, or the potential of it

Still tho I don't like the thought of ending up in court, or the potential of it

Absolutely, people going around on these scooters are leaving themselves wide open, being sued is no joke if you have no insurance and particularly if the scooter is not road legal the barrister will find anything that is not legal with that scooter, if the court rules against you then you could end up having to pay thousands of euros in damages and court fees.

But, heres a real eye opener, you can be arrested for injuring someone on a scooter or even a bicycle, if you're on a footpath and you injure someone then God Help You.

Arrestable offences include.

suffering physical injury,
    causing loss of or damage to property,

The same goes for bicycles too, really there should be some sort of insurance for all these scooters, ebikes etc, even someone on a push bike can get sued if they injure someone.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 7,858 Mod ✭✭✭✭liamog

A pedestrian walking into someone and injuring them can be sued, I thought most home insurance policies come with an element of personal liability insurance meaning the point is moot at most.

liamog wrote: »
    A pedestrian walking into someone and injuring them can be sued, I thought most home insurance policies come with an element of personal liability insurance meaning the point is moot at most.

Might be personal injury to protect you not someone else and it might only be related to being in the home, you'd have to look that up on your policy documents. But somehow I doubt a home insurance policy would cover you hitting someone on a bicycle or on an e-scooter but it would be interesting to know.

It's just something I have been pondering for some time, what if there was insurance available for scooters and ebikes ? that would give everyone protection.

If you get sued and loose there could be massive bills, how do you pay, xxx income per month for xx years, forced to sell the house etc ? not something I'd like to have to face.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,114 ✭✭✭Ger Roe

[QUOTE=liamog;114751837 A pedestrian walking into someone and injuring them can be sued, I thought most home insurance policies come with an element of personal liability insurance meaning the point is moot at most.[/QUOTE]

Yes, but they won't have the added complication of being in charge of and operating a vehicle of dubious legal status.

I am not sure if the personal liability clause in home insurance would cover the scenario you are suggesting. My understanding of the standard clause is that it relates to persons who may be injured on your insured property. Anyway, who says everyone who operates a scooter has a home insurance policy?

Even if the policy applied to you walking down the street, I am sure the insurer would easily get out of any obligation if you were operating an uninsured or unspecified (legally) vehicle.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,312 ✭✭✭✭Calahonda52

But, heres a real eye opener, you can be arrested for injuring someone on a scooter or even a bicycle, if you're on a footpath and you injure someone then God Help You.
    So a pedestrian injures a scooter driver and the pedestrian can be arrested?
    Strange

“I can’t pay my staff or mortgage with instagram likes”.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 7,858 Mod ✭✭✭✭liamog

Might be personal injury to protect you not someone else and it might only be related to being in the home, you'd have to look that up on your policy documents. But somehow I doubt a home insurance policy would cover you hitting someone on a bicycle or on an e-scooter but it would be interesting to know.

It's just something I have been pondering for some time, what if there was insurance available for scooters and ebikes ? that would give everyone protection.

If you get sued and loose there could be massive bills, how do you pay, xxx income per month for xx years, forced to sell the house etc ? not something I'd like to have to face.

An insurance requirement for scooters and bikes whether powered or not is an unneeded blocker to an a more sustainable form of transport, note I did not use the term personal injury, it's personal liability.

Here's the extract from my home insurance which covers it

527682.PNG

Home insurance is a standard condition of mortgages and leases, so I would expect most people to have some personal liability coverage. I believe in countries where e-Scooters are legal, the personal liability coverage is common and provides adequate coverage.

@Ger Roe, given that we're discussing either using an e-Scooter in a jurisdiction they are legislated for, or in Ireland after they are legislated for, I'm not sure what your point is (see the Mod Note on post #1 for clarification)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,761 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

Ger Roe wrote: »
    Yes, but they won't have the added complication of being in charge of and operating a vehicle of dubious legal status.

I am not sure if the personal liability clause in home insurance would cover the scenario you are suggesting. My understanding of the standard clause is that it relates to persons who may be injured on your insured property. Anyway, who says everyone who operates a scooter has a home insurance policy?

Even if the policy applied to you walking down the street, I am sure the insurer would easily get out of any obligation if you were operating an uninsured or unspecified (legally) vehicle.

There's nothing dubious about it: they are mechanically propelled vehicles and as such fall under Type Approval, Licencing, Construction & Use Regulations, and the Road Traffic Act.

Ergo, they are required to display number plates & tax, and the rider needs to hold a licence and insurance.

Patently, none of that it is being enforced though.

I'm not making a judgement one way or the other about them being good or bad, but I frankly wouldn't put my driving licence at risk over one. But I can see the attraction for certain things.

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

Advertisement