Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Recommend electric folding scooter for end of commute (Mod Note Post #1)

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭tuxy

AhHaor wrote: »
    Given how they're a hot topic, and how the initial case was reported, I don't believe that not a single piece of reporting is on the web.

Yeah that's a fair point. But it was due to go to court and either a judgement was made or it was postponed.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 7,836 Mod ✭✭✭✭liamog

Mod Note: I've discussed with site admins, due to the current legal situation recommendations cannot be made for use of electric scooters on public roads in Ireland, but can be made for use on private property. However, we will allow discussion of e-scooters for purchase for use on private property, and other jurisdictions such as France/Germany where they are legal for use. This restriction will be lifted as soon as the legal situation changes, which will hopefully be soon.

What is the problem here on boards, censorship is getting tiresome, internet boards are for discussion.

Someone here please clarify the position of boards and their moral high ground ?

The above post isn't actually clear as to what we're not "allowed" to discuss.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,307 Mod ✭✭✭✭aloooof

What is the problem here on boards, censorship is getting tiresome, internet boards are for discussion.

Someone here please clarify the position of boards and their moral high ground ?

Bit of an over-reaction, no? If you're talking about censorship and moral high ground, e-scooters is a strange hill to die on.

aloooof wrote: »
    Bit of an over-reaction, no? If you're talking about censorship and moral high ground, e-scooters is a strange hill to die on.

No no over the reaction. I got tired of being shouted down on the bicycle section of boards using legalities as an excuse to science me for the only reason being I offended the "cycling purists" and how dare I degrade the thread with electric bike talk.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,307 Mod ✭✭✭✭aloooof

No no over the reaction. I got tired of being shouted down on the bicycle section of boards using legalities as an excuse to science me for the only reason being I offended the "cycling purists" and how dare I degrade the thread with electric bike talk.

Ok. I don't understand the bold part but fair enough.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 7,836 Mod ✭✭✭✭liamog

It's pretty straightforward, I'll use some examples.

If a poster says:
    I want to buy an e-scooter to commute from Clontarf to the O'Connell St. Not Allowed
    I want to buy an e-scooter that could travel 5km return for my commute. Is Allowed.

Any recommendation of the use of an e-scooter on public roads on Ireland is tantamount to recommending that the poster breaks the law and is against site rules.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,615 ✭✭✭grogi

Just start every question with 'Im moving to France'. Problem solved.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭tuxy

grogi wrote: »
    Just start every question with 'Im moving to France'. Problem solved.

Yes it would seem that is what the mod was hinting at.

tuxy wrote: »
    Yes it would seem that is what the mod was hinting at.

What people choose to infer from my instruction is entirely down to their own interpretation.

As an aside, I am temporarily living in Paris Monday to Friday until the end of March. The shared scooters here are a great system for getting around the city.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,383 ✭✭✭...Ghost...

MOD might want to put a note on the first page, otherwise those of us who are not moving to France could end up with wrist slaps.

Stay Free

liamog wrote: »
    It's pretty straightforward, I'll use some examples.

If a poster says:
    I want to buy an e-scooter to commute from Clontarf to the O'Connell St. Not Allowed
    I want to buy an e-scooter that could travel 5km return for my commute. Is Allowed.

Any recommendation of the use of an e-scooter on public roads on Ireland is tantamount to recommending that the poster breaks the law and is against site rules.

I seriously doubt Distilled Media give a toss about discussing ebikes/scooters on boards.ie. so this is why I can't understand the over-modding. I't sure they only care about the revenue from the adds the bombard people with, not me because I use an blocker lol.

Mod Note: And with that, we'll end the discussion of modding on the thread. Feel free to discuss further via PM.
    Back on topic of electric scooters, please.

• Registered Users Posts: 296 ✭✭AhHaor

https://www.thejournal.ie/e-scooter-drink-driving-germany-4947700-Dec2019/

Seeing this makes it more odd that the irish case wasn't reported.

• Registered Users Posts: 837 ✭✭✭BarryM

AhHaor wrote: »
    https://www.thejournal.ie/e-scooter-drink-driving-germany-4947700-Dec2019/

Seeing this makes it more odd that the irish case wasn't reported.

Did I miss something? what case?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,651 ✭✭✭✭beauf

A couple of cases were up in court in Ireland apparently. But few if any details were published in the media. Hard to know if they were true or not.

• Registered Users Posts: 14 Kepa47

Can escooters be used during rainy weather?

• Registered Users Posts: 24,647 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

Kepa47 wrote: »

No as they're illegal unless on private property.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,795 ✭✭✭Mrcaramelchoc

Its recommended you don't drive through deepish puddles.the battery is underneath where you stand after all.
    Id try and avoid rain" in France" if i were you.

If you're using an m365 on private property, assuming the battery plate is snug, the only point of entry for water to electronics is the power button at the dash. You can buy or 3d print a cover and you're laughing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 152 ✭✭Martynet

It depends. If it's heavy rain and you are not riding through deep puddles, you're grand. Also, scooters with solid tires might slip a bit easier than scooter with air tires. And finally, bigger wheels, better and safer ride. I think it will be a trend for e-scooter makers to make better scooter for UK/Ireland roads and weather. Like this interesting machine with IPX6 and 12" wheels. If it had dual motor and bigger battery, I'd buy it tomorrow :)

https://8tev.com/product/b12/

• Registered Users Posts: 32,379 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

There was a post a month or so ago in consumers and somebodies died and the manufacturer had said it should not be used in the rain

• Registered Users Posts: 65,032 ✭✭✭✭unkel

rubadub wrote: »
    There was a post a month or so ago in consumers and somebodies died and the manufacturer had said it should not be used in the rain

Any link?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,795 ✭✭✭Mrcaramelchoc

Its common sense really.id say none of them are absolutely waterproof.if its pouring leave it at home if its misty you could chance it.lots of mist in France.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,379 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

unkel wrote: »
    Any link?

I couldn't find it at all earlier, found on google but seems it was deleted or moved or something, you can see the cache of it

https://webcache.googleusercontent.com/search?q=cache:oRqu6qdb0ZEJ:https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php%3Ft%3D2058033550+&cd=1&hl=en&ct=clnk&gl=ie

https://webcache.googleusercontent.com/search?q=cache:qdxp4VIH74wJ:https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php%3Ft%3D2058033550%26page%3D3+&cd=1&hl=en&ct=clnk&gl=ie
    I replied

"Honestly I'm not happy about that. The scooter was sold as an outdoor scooter yet is not waterproof? I was not aware of this and could have been seriously hurt when I plugged in that charger. I am not willing to pay 40e for a new charger that may or may not blow up again. The scooter itself is clearly the issue, I never would have bought it had I known it was not safe to use outdoors"

And he replied

"I'm sorry, but no scooter we sell is waterproof. They are water resistant to a certain extent. You shouldn't use in rain, but might rain on occasion shouldn't be an issue. You have cause this issue, and I know 100% that it's water damage based on what you have described. You have had this scooter for almost 6 month, and then the charger blows - buy a new one, you were given the option to buy one online. The customer has to take some responsibility too. Buy a charger, or don't. I'm not happy with you misusing a scooter by riding it in winter weather, when it should be used mostly on rain free days. You should have done your homework, no scooter is waterproof.

If the charger "blows up again", it's because you were not a diligent and responsible rider, and exposed your scooter to excessive water.

I am not willing to help you any further in this matter, as your warranty is null and void due to misuse - water damage.

All you had to do was buy a new charger and see if it works, and then our technician would open it open and remove the water damaged controller, but you aren't playing ball.

My final suggestion is that you find a third party technician to repair it.

I won't be engaging going forward.

****name****"

SCC it is

• Registered Users Posts: 13,999 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

From the above it seems that such a scooter is not at all suitable for Irish weather.

Should they become legal I hope some specification is applied to make them suitable for this climate.

This all boils down to common sense. I've printed out the cover for the power button/dash and used it loads of times in the rain. Am I going full throttle around a corner in the rain of course not. The wheels are unstable enough as it is. While we have a wet climate, the m365 is in plenty of Asian countries that get downpours that we never see and the scooter is grand over there

• Registered Users Posts: 3,383 ✭✭✭...Ghost...

beauf wrote: »
    A couple of cases were up in court in Ireland apparently. But few if any details were published in the media. Hard to know if they were true or not.

The two cases I am aware of from the end of last year resulted in one rider receiving a €100 fine and another rider receiving a €300 fine and 3 points. Someone here can correct if I have the fine details wrong.

No as they're illegal unless on private property.

Yes, they can be. Kepa47 asked about escooters with regards to rain, not with regards to law.

I wouldn't recommend going through puddles and I would be sure the charge port is well sealed up. This applies to most escooters on the market. Some may be completely unsuitable for use in the rain.

Stay Free

• Registered Users Posts: 65,032 ✭✭✭✭unkel

rubadub wrote: »
    I couldn't find it at all earlier, found on google but seems it was deleted or moved or something, you can see the cache of it

I read your post initially as somebody on an eScooter died because of the rain. That's why I asked for a link. My mistake. And your mistake for not being careful with the use of punctuation / apostrophes, etc.

Somebody's €5 charger died :p

And yeah, those Chinese chargers are flimsy and they can't handle anything bad or they go pop. The eScooters themselves and their batteries are far more robust and have all sorts of protection built in (to the batteries)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,337 ✭✭✭McGrath5

I like the look of the M365 Pro, does anybody know what is the best priced place to pick one up?

Advertisement