Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Second hand items from ebay - Addresspal ?

Options
  • 01-01-2021 12:50pm
    Registered Users Posts: 15,862 ✭✭✭✭

What's the situation with buying second hand items on ebay ? Is VAT charged ? Will there be additional payments due if I use Addresspal for these items ?

Thanks

Comments

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,867 Mod ✭✭✭✭whiterebel

No difference between new and second hand. Yes, you will be liable for charges.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,298 ✭✭✭Snotty

Discodog wrote: »
    What's the situation with buying second hand items on ebay ? Is VAT charged ? Will there be additional payments due if I use Addresspal for these items ?

Thanks

Short answer Yes, but I believe all these companies are still working out how this will work in action. The company I use have said they will email on Monday with the new process and charges

• Registered Users Posts: 15,862 ✭✭✭✭Discodog

So maddening. A pair of trousers & ebay want £18 postage :eek:

Makes most of ebay.ie pointless.

Only of use to people living at the border but you can get most ebay items delivered to an argos in the North and pick it up.
    Not sure how long they will keep it for and this service might stop if they think its being abused.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,632 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

I missed out on so many 'UK only' auctions before parcel motel came along, looks like we're going back to those days :(

• Advertisement

o1s1n wrote: »
    I missed out on so many 'UK only' auctions before parcel motel came along, looks like we're going back to those days :(

Back to the days of messaging "Hi, will you post to the Republic of Ireland and how much will it cost" for every item.

I'm sure no one would be that dishonest but definitely a opportunity for people with an address in the North but working or travelling regularly to the South to make some extra money.....

Snotty wrote: »
    Back to the days of messaging "Hi, will you post to the Republic of Ireland and how much will it cost" for every item.

I'm sure no one would be that dishonest but definitely a opportunity for people with an address in the North but working or travelling regularly to the South to make some extra money.....

Some will say yes & then use the extortionate global shipping program.

• Registered Users Posts: 150 ✭✭Fwarder

Lads, silly question and perhaps doesn't have anything to do with the PM, however, if I buy some 2nd hand thing from ebay (from the private seller), how does it go now with the VAT?

Like, if the item is 100£ with shipping, do I just pay those 100£, PM or address pal services and that's it?

I'm not getting that stripping UK VAT, charging Irish VAT stuff :D

• Registered Users Posts: 966 ✭✭✭harmless

Fwarder wrote: »
    Lads, silly question and perhaps doesn't have anything to do with the PM, however, if I buy some 2nd hand thing from ebay (from the private seller), how does it go now with the VAT?

Like, if the item is 100£ with shipping, do I just pay those 100£, PM or address pal services and that's it?

I'm not getting that stripping UK VAT, charging Irish VAT stuff :D

It doesn't matter if it is second hand, VAT is still due @21%;
    Ebay takes care of everything

Log into you ebay account and browse some items, you will see import charges just under postage.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,632 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

Don't remind me, the horror! :eek:

Especially annoying when the auction ended before they saw your email.

• Advertisement

harmless wrote: »
    It doesn't matter if it is second hand, VAT is still due @21%
    Ebay takes care of everything

Log into you ebay account and browse some items, you will see import charges just under postage.

Dammit :D I ordered three items to Address Pal (same thing as PM) so I guess I'll pay both UK VAT and Irish one since parcel is first "domestic" delivery, then "International" delivery :D

Fwarder wrote: »
    Dammit :D I ordered three items to Address Pal (same thing as PM) so I guess I'll pay both UK VAT and Irish one since parcel is first "domestic" delivery, then "International" delivery :D
    If it's a small seller it may be possible that no UK VAT was paid on the item. It's not crossing a VAT zone so there are no checks.

There's no legal way of avoiding VAT on items imported into the EU though.

If it's a small seller it may be possible that no UK VAT was paid on the item. It's not crossing a VAT zone so there are no checks.

There's no legal way of avoiding VAT on items imported into the EU though.

Thanks!

Any chance you'd know how it would go with ordering some tools from the "proper" store in NI with direct delivery to RoI?

Obviously with your Irish address and not your postal motel etc address like most of us currently use as our "home" address

Kudos to our brave guinea pigs who are testing the system for us :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,683 ✭✭✭uli84

This sucks big time :( love shopping on ebay

I wonder if Paypal could do the same as Amazon ?

• Registered Users Posts: 28,766 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

As an English speaking country with historical, cultural and trading ties to the UK, this whole thing is a massive mess for us in particular.

I'd wager more Irish people buy from Amazon UK and eBay IE/UK than they do European sites, not to mention the wider effects (and no doubt delays and additional costs) it'll have on retail here too.

Yes the UK brought it on themselves, but once again the EU has failed to consider our interests here properly as well aside from the 'big ticket' items.

_Kaiser_ wrote: »
    As an English speaking country with historical, cultural and trading ties to the UK, this whole thing is a massive mess for us in particular.

I'd wager more Irish people buy from Amazon UK and eBay IE/UK than they do European sites, not to mention the wider effects (and no doubt delays and additional costs) it'll have on retail here too.

Yes the UK brought it on themselves, but once again the EU has failed to consider our interests here properly as well aside from the 'big ticket' items.

I would say that the end deal is pretty good for us compared to how it could of turned out.

Are the import charges always showing up before you hit the buy it now button or bid ?

• Advertisement

OmegaGene wrote: »
    For items being posted here they seemed to be

So it's a case of trying to compare the costs between ebay direct & using addresspal.

OmegaGene wrote: »
    Just went to look for a few bits on ebay and I am gutted at the import charges for used items, I haven’t kept up to speed with things since the deal was agreed and assumed when they said there was no tariffs that it was going to be all good how we were before
    How wrong I was lol I just bought a watch for £700 and hit with the import at checkout ah well

Yes there is still VAT due on second hand items, the deal means you avoided the 4.5% customs charge for watches that enter the EU single market.

Discodog wrote: »
    So it's a case of trying to compare the costs between ebay direct & using addresspal.

If you use address pal there is still VAT due which is currently 21% so be sure to include that in the calculation.
    When you order from Ebay direct to your Irish address the VAT is already paid.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,967 ✭✭✭✭Sleeper12

Discodog wrote:
    So maddening. A pair of trousers & ebay want £18 postage

The reason some sellers do this is because they don't pay ebay fees for the postage. Some sellers reduce the price of the item being sold & add it to the postage. EBay takes a sizable chunk in commission. PayPal will take another 3 percent on the whole transaction including the postage

Sleeper12 wrote: »
    The reason some sellers do this is because they don't pay ebay fees for the postage. Some sellers reduce the price of the item being sold & add it to the postage. EBay takes a sizable chunk in commission. PayPal will take another 3 percent on the whole transaction including the postage
    This is usually the case.

It also happens when a seller doesn't care about selling outside the UK.
    I frequently see free UK shipping or £20 worldwide, so you end up paying the same shipping to Ireland as you would to Australia.
    In this case you could try contacting the seller. If they really want to make the sale they will then add a reasonable rate on shipping to Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 98 ✭✭Corvus Libros

Sleeper12 wrote: »

That used to be true years ago, but it's no longer the case. eBay now charges sellers exactly the same percentage fee on the postage. Now there's no incentive for sellers to inflate the postage price.

What we're seeing with unusually high postage fees is often eBay's Global Shipping Program. The seller posts the item to an eBay centre within the UK and eBay send it internationally to the buyer. The price the buyer sees is set by eBay for this service. For us in Ireland, it's often more expensive than if the seller had posted it directly. Some sellers prefer GSP because they don't have to deal with international returns and refunds for lost items; eBay takes responsibility for that.

So has anyone got definite charges from the likes of parcel motel?
    For example if I buy something on ebay tomorrow for £20 and its posted to the UK, aside from the usual €2/3 these crowd charge, what will we pay?
    Understand that come March/April it may be different

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,867 Mod ✭✭✭✭whiterebel

So has anyone got definite charges from the likes of parcel motel?
    For example if I buy something on ebay tomorrow for £20 and its posted to the UK, aside from the usual €2/3 these crowd charge, what will we pay?
    Understand that come March/April it may be different

Parcel Motel is suspended, Parcel Wizard are finished. There will probably be no call for a service through Northern Ireland.

Have s look here:https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2058146415

• Registered Users Posts: 881 ✭✭✭bb12

i want to buy from a uk website that no longer delivers to ireland so will have to use my addresspal address. as far as the seller is concerned they are just shipping nationally to the uk so won't be putting any documentation on the outside of the package.

so i'm wondering how it will work from addresspal's end. how will they know what vat amount to charge. will they open the package? or will they request the invoice from me? any ideas?

• Advertisement

bb12 wrote: »
    i want to buy from a uk website that no longer delivers to ireland so will have to use my addresspal address. as far as the seller is concerned they are just shipping nationally to the uk so won't be putting any documentation on the outside of the package.

so i'm wondering how it will work from addresspal's end. how will they know what vat amount to charge. will they open the package? or will they request the invoice from me? any ideas?

They'll ask for the value and invoice and charge you VAT, Customs clearance and their fee. Seller should put an invoice in the package.

Advertisement