Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Covid 19 Part XXVI- 50,993 ROI (1,852 deaths) 28,040 NI (621 deaths) (19/10) Read OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,612 ✭✭✭MerlinSouthDub

Schools open = virus spreading

Except the data shows that's not the case.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,105 ✭✭✭Kivaro

With all that's going on with this worldwide pandemic, it is very strange to hear the Green Party deputy leader Catherine Martin complaining about gender balance at Covid talks over the weekend (Irish Times online this evening). Don't we need the very best people in the country taking the helm in this battle irrespective of their sex? I wonder about the Green Party sometimes ......... well, more than sometimes.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,784 ✭✭✭DeanAustin

Tens of thousands of likely job losses all to keep kids in school (cough....childcare) for 6 weeks. I hope it’s worth it. Who’d have thought that 6 weeks off school would destroy a whole generation of children

Well if nothing else, this lockdown will prove or disprove the “schools are spreading it” theory. Personally, I think schools are more responsible for the spread than is being acknowledged but agree with schools being kept open. If we’re still seeing big numbers in 2-3 weeks, it’ll be impossible to say schools are not responsible. If the lockdown sees cases reduce sharply, the cynicism (mine included) about schools will have proven unfounded.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,678 ✭✭✭Multipass

smeal wrote: »
    Where do people reckon does this leave non urgent hospital referrals/appointments?

It leaves them a giant step closer to becoming urgent.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,684 ✭✭✭Pretzill

Tens of thousands of likely job losses all to keep kids in school (cough....childcare) for 6 weeks. I hope it’s worth it. Who’d have thought that 6 weeks off school would destroy a whole generation of children

I wouldn't be surprised if the teachers union end up calling any extension to the midterm - it's incredulous to think that keeping schools open (at least to the usual degree) is not spreading this through the community - even staggering times or classes or shorter days for the winter (with a view to longer, more outdoor tuition in the warmer weather) - the children would catch up - as it is many families are leaving their children, themselves and their teachers open to catching this.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,123 ✭✭✭Ellie2008

If businesses are being told to close their doors I don't see why sport should be exempt. It's double standard and extremely unfair, lot of these jobs will not be coming back.

GAA should not be going ahead as a point of principle given the recent behaviour of some of its members & the contribution of that behaviour towards the current numbers. If I was losing my job I’d be raging.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,210 ✭✭✭✭stephenjmcd

• Registered Users Posts: 16,011 ✭✭✭✭niallo27

Jim_Hodge wrote: »
    Tell that to the county players on the club team here who celebrated their cup win with a pub crawl that led to several positive cases in the community. They obviously didn't get the memo.

I have lost my faith in the GAA. It greatly saddens me and perhaps in time I'll enjoy it again .

That doesn't have anything to do with the county championship though or anything I said. You can't compare them, they are really different.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,070 ✭✭✭boggerman1

And what about the time missed from mid March to end of June or have u conviently forgot that

• Registered Users Posts: 15,919 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

There are hundreds of jobs in the GAA that pay a lot of tax . Do they not count ?

Same applies to businesses that have to close, why are GAA employees any different? They will get the PUP too.

GAA is a fkn religion and it has to be stopped from being so arrogant in these trying times. It would be a good lesson for them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,843 ✭✭✭statto25

If businesses are being told to close their doors I don't see why sport should be exempt. It's double standard and extremely unfair, lot of these jobs will not be coming back, the gaa will.

If done correctly and players are tested rigurously then it can go ahead.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,604 ✭✭✭Zardoz

Wow Czech Republic is off the scale. It’s a linear axis. Exploded really. Wtf were they doing.

There were elections in early October and the Prime Minister went against health advice to win votes.
    They stopped wearing masks and relaxed restrictions too much.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,129 ✭✭✭Lundstram

I haven't a clue what's open or closed anymore. I just walk towards automatic doors and if my face hits the glass, I just turn around and go home.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,329 ✭✭✭owlbethere

Announcing a level 5 (lockdown) tonight, on Monday to come into force on Wednesday night, makes no sense and it will lead to panic within the population. There were people already panic buying during the weekend and I saw a video online with a queue outside Smyths somewhere in the country for this morning. There will be more crowds forming tomorrow and Wednesday no doubt. How is the government going to migrate this risk for virus spread?

Also when the shops and non essential retail is allowed to open in 4/6 weeks time, there will probe a run on the shops in preparation for the Christmas. We saw the scenes after the last lockdown with nighttime queues outside of Pennies. How is the government planning to migate the risk after the lockdown?

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 1,105 ✭✭✭Limpy

If this is level 5 we need a level 10. A load of shyte.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,023 ✭✭✭Gruffalux

Lundstram wrote: »
    I haven't a clue what's open or closed anymore. I just walk towards automatic doors and if my face hits the glass, I just turn around and go home.

:D

• Registered Users Posts: 13,687 ✭✭✭✭wonski

I need to buy a horse and a nice hat.

Few bottles of champagne, a picture with a GAA star and some other elite sports person and can finally have some proper holidays :)

niallo27 wrote: »
    That doesn't have anything to do with the county championship though or anything I said. You can't compare them, they are really different.

I don’t care, it’s all GAA, somebody in the GAA should have stepped in & stopped the carry on. What they did in Cavan was unbelievable. They tarnished the reputation of the GAA.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,224 ✭✭✭Gradius

Lundstram wrote: »

If the door is open, drink it down

If the door is closed, send it back

• Registered Users Posts: 7,190 ✭✭✭jos28

I really think that lockdown is the wrong way to go. I'd prefer to see level 3/4 with strict enforcement and a curfew. Give the Gardai the powers they need. If necessary bring the army onto the streets. That way retailers could stay open, drinking on the streets would be stopped and it might refocus peoples' minds.
    Lockdown until end of November, opening back up throughout December and by the end of January we'll be back to where we are now.
    The momentum of the March Lockdown is not here now, there is no longer a sense that we are all in this together.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,684 ✭✭✭Pretzill

boggerman1 wrote: »
    And what about the time missed from mid March to end of June or have u conviently forgot that

That wasn't handled well but at that stage anyone could be forgiven for not knowing what way to act. They should have opened the schools through the summer with a view to closing them in the winter - there was very little forethought employed. But either way they should shut now as another wave is hitting.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,650 ✭✭✭DebDynamite

With the likes of Harvey Norman, Power City etc. closed, so those masses of people squashed up against each other buying a tv will stop, and with nobody able to have a drink in the fresh air outside a bar, or a ham & cheese toastie with coffee outside a cafe, we have a serious chance to contain this virus. Yes, house parties and mass gatherings will continue, but the worst of it has now been stopped.

I thought the likes of Harvey Norman, Power City could open as they would be selling equipment for WFM - laptops, printers, etc. therefore called as essential retail. AFAIR, Harvey Norman has their electrical part open, but their furniture part closed.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,680 ✭✭✭SleetAndSnow

https://twitter.com/McConnellDaniel/status/1318267842928742411?s=20

Ah so schools aren't perfect, its just keep them open to look good

• Registered Users Posts: 2,241 ✭✭✭CruelSummer

How does one exercise in the dark within 5km of their home if they’re in the countryside? Especially when working during the day.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,210 ✭✭✭✭stephenjmcd

Education minister raised concerns about schools remaining open

https://twitter.com/McConnellDaniel/status/1318267842928742411?s=19

• Closed Accounts Posts: 838 ✭✭✭The_Brood

Whatever else is to happen, this government must end up in prison. Justice must be done. They are criminals.

Lock up and destroy the economy, but keep schools open and give no powers to the guards to stop house parties. Ok sure. If you're shot in the leg, do nothing about it but pull out your teeth, because....reasons?

Prison. Mass protests, boycott everything, virus or no virus until these people are rotting in prison.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,224 ✭✭✭Gradius

How does one exercise in the dark within 5km of their home if they’re in the countryside? Especially when working during the day.

Ask a mole.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,845 ✭✭✭Sweet.Science

Have NI introduced the same lockdown measures ?

jos28 wrote: »
    I really think that lockdown is the wrong way to go. I'd prefer to see level 3/4 with strict enforcement and a curfew. If necessary bring the army onto the streets. That way retailers could stay open, drinking on the streets would be stopped and it might refocus peoples' minds.
    Lockdown until end of November, opening back up throughout December and by the end of January we'll be back to where we are now.
    The momentum of the March Lockdown is not here now, there is no longer a sense that we are all in this together.

I’m with you, it doesn’t take account of the way Irish people tend to behave. People will go mad when it’s lifted & probably in the next couple of days.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 433 ✭✭rafi bomb

Erm steet lights for a run?

Next weeks class I'll explain how to tie your shoelaces

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement