Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Overrated films that people seem to think are a great but really are not

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 321 ✭✭TheBlackPill

Lost in Translation.
    Enjoyed the film. Really identified with the Bill Murray character.
    Wife hated it, the emotional affair at the centre of the film probably worried her.
    but it is hugely overrated.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,123 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

Lost in Translation.
    Enjoyed the film. Really identified with the Bill Murray character.
    Wife hated it, the emotional affair at the centre of the film probably worried her.
    but it is hugely overrated.

It’s got a weird charm and uniqueness. I love the cinematography it’s an absolutely stunningly beautifully shot film. Soundtrack is amazing, beyond good. Casting was genius but I think it’s the kind of film from a storyline and plot perspective that maybe once you’ve seen it, it’s a bit... not that rewatchable, probably due to there being somewhat lack of dialogue in places.

First film I ever saw with my IFI membership.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,339 ✭✭✭OneEightSeven

I tried to watch Avatar, twice, but it just bored the shíte out of me.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,955 ✭✭✭littlevillage

Chris Nolans Batman franchise, particularly part 2. Grand fluff movies but other than that they have little to offer.

Literally just watched the Dark Knight rises last night ... (the one with Bane as the bady)..... Needless to say, I didn't get to the end. Its terrible shyte.

The Dark Knight... was OK.... Heath Ledger got an Oscar etc.

Don't even remember Batman begins... I think Liam Neeson plays some kind of wise warrior monk, that trains Batman in martial arts... I'm sure it was pretty awful too.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,944 ✭✭✭circadian

Interstellar can **** right off. I love a good sci-fi. I love time travel and things to do with spacetime.

I do not like a film that spends 90 minutes explaining these things and then completely ignore them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,008 ✭✭✭colly10

The Irishman - Dull with little if any plot, forgotten what it was about, if anything. No idea what made it popular

• Registered Users Posts: 14,890 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

colly10 wrote: »
    The Irishman - Dull with little if any plot, forgotten what it was about, if anything. No idea what made it popular

Hype - Scorsese, DeNiro, Pacino and Pesci together on a 5 hour gangster epic...

It wasn't terrible but it was way too long, and the de-aging effects were ropey.

• Registered Users Posts: 804 ✭✭✭Butson

3 Billboards.

Crap.

• Registered Users Posts: 483 ✭✭FarmerBrowne

The Hurtlocker, absolute muck.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,417 ✭✭✭recyclops

driver

good soundtrack and nothing else, horrendous, thought being hungover was the problem the first time so gave it a second chance, nope still terrible

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,402 ✭✭✭McGinniesta

Scarface.

Possibly the most overrated film of all time.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,301 ✭✭✭Snickers Man

Erranged wrote: »
    12 years a slave,

This! Most overrated tosh ever.

All the insight, balance and empathy of Hellcats of the Navy, or Rambo.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,585 ✭✭✭smilerf

I personally think Taxi Driver is overrated

• Registered Users Posts: 7,770 ✭✭✭growleaves

thats awful brad pit one. The tree of life i think was called. I know.people pretend like it for fear looking stupid. Its the epitome of the emporers new clothes in a film.

It was publicly booed by the audience when it was screened at Cannes.

I liked it a lot and went to see it twice but in some ways it was the epitome of the Art Film. It was very self-consciously artificial and with overly sincere sentiment so I don't blame anyone for not liking it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,894 ✭✭✭Poor_old_gill

The Guard is sh*te, pure sh*te.

Tries too hard to create juxtapositions and has too much idiotic paddy whackery in it.

It's like a 90 minute long Rory's Stories sketch

• Registered Users Posts: 1,345 ✭✭✭ChippingSodbury

The Hurtlocker, absolute muck.

Didn't like it first time I saw it. But I watched it again a year or two later and I enjoyed it. The loooooong scene when they are under fire from the snipers in the desert is tension at its best because it's different to most films in that the baddies have a good aim and the goodies sometimes miss. The length of the scene gives it a sense of reality.

No Country For Old Men: now there's a load of ****e...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,018 ✭✭✭TCDStudent1

The Guard is sh*te, pure sh*te.

Tries too hard to create juxtapositions and has too much idiotic paddy whackery in it.

It's like a 90 minute long Rory's Stories sketch

Now, that is over-rated (albeit not a film)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,353 ✭✭✭AllForIt

There was a time when Some Like It Hot and Vertigo another time, were considered the best movies ever made.

For me SLIT is only an average film. I think what happened was that at the time it was considered the best movie ever made and no one dared to contradict that since, not even decades later, for some odd reason.

I liked Vertigo but not only is it not the best movie ever made but it's not even the best movie Alfred Hitchcock ever made. Surely Psycho and even Birds are better than Vertigo.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,505 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

Butson wrote: »
    3 Billboards.

Crap.

mcdonagh is incredibly over rated

• Registered Users Posts: 20,158 ✭✭✭✭El_Duderino 09

Mad_maxx wrote: »
    mcdonagh is incredibly over rated

Frances McDormand, I think you mean.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,505 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

Frances McDormand, I think you mean.

Director is mcdonagh

Mad_maxx wrote: »
    Director is mcdonagh

Fair one.

• Registered Users Posts: 828 ✭✭✭2lazytogetup

banie01 wrote: »
    Good popcorn movie, but far too much weight attached to it as culturally significant.

As for their staying low key and inconspicuous whilst in Korea...
    WTAF?

Giant black folk strolling around any part of east Asia...
    Are NEVER not going to stand out.

What the hell is a popcorn movie

• Registered Users Posts: 3,858 ✭✭✭Church on Tuesday

Burn After Reading.

God awful film.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭Rothko

What the hell is a popcorn movie

I assume he means a movie that you can enjoy without analysing or thinking too much about it.

Burn After Reading.

God awful film.

Just watched it again the other weekend. Loved it. I'd say if you like some of the coen brothers movies you probably like the rest of them and it probably works the other way around too.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,782 ✭✭✭KungPao

I think Titanic (1997) is overrated, people thinks it's a great film but I think 'A night to remember' (1958) is a much better account/film about the ill-fated liner .....
    I don't believe it was ever really rated.

And the Celine Dion theme was pure cheese, and called that at the time. The "king of the world" nonsense was also noted.

Everyone's always said the fluffy love story was boring - but once the berg is hit it get's fairly interesting, at least.

Nazi Germany made a movie about the Titanic also, must watch it some day.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,074 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

KungPao wrote: »
    It's one of the better ones.

A Night To Remember is still the best.

Titanic ? it's premise is that you can't lible the dead otherwise they couldn't have made it.

The Adventures of Baron Munchausen (1943) is an amazing film when you consider the problems they had making it. It's up there with Ivan the Terrible (1944) as a film that couldn't possibly be made by those people at that time in that place.

Pulgasari is a little easier to understand. The North Koreans kidnapped a South Korean director and forced him to make a Kaiju movie.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,074 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

KungPao wrote: »
    It's one of the better ones.

A Night To Remember is still the best.

Titanic ? it's premise is that you can't lible the dead otherwise they couldn't have made it.

The Adventures of Baron Munchausen (1943) is an amazing film when you consider the problems they had making it. It's up there with Ivan the Terrible (1944) as a film that couldn't possibly be made by those people at that time in that place.

Pulgasari is a little easier to understand. The North Koreans kidnapped a South Korean director and forced him to make a Kaiju movie.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,898 ✭✭✭trellheim

Thin Red Line - three hours of my life I wanted back after that pretentious crap . Three hours better spent staring at your own navel.

Advertisement