Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

L’Oreal to remove the word “white” and “whitening from product labels.

Options
167891012»

Comments

joeguevara wrote: »
    Olam group is based mainly in Nigeria so not sure if a black woman with braided hair which is common there could be considered racist.

This post sums up the vast difference in how you and others think. The idea that a black woman with braided hair could be considered racist depending on location makes no sense to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,995 ✭✭✭joeguevara

This post sums up the vast difference in how you and others think. The idea that a black woman with braided hair could be considered racist depending on location makes no sense to me.

This is what I said. Absolutely nothing to do with what I think. But seems that it is difficult for you to get. If it is from an area that people as in the logo were used as slaves to harvest the crops contained in it, then of course it could be considered racist to them. Capiche.

This is what I said. Absolutely nothing to do with what I think. But seems that it is difficult for you to get. If it is from an area that people as in the logo were used as slaves to harvest the crops contained in it, then of course it could be considered racist to them. Capiche.

It's not that it's difficult for me to get.. It's that I don't follow the logic. 2020 and the current climate doesn't add validity to these arguments that x, y, and z, are racist because some people might consider them racist.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,423 ✭✭✭✭Outlaw Pete

I'm just wondering what the next 'woke-ism' will be...

I've some Punch shoe polish with Negro on it.

Only a matter of time before someone says that black people were once made shine shoes and so has to be cancelled.

Odds are 99.99% it'll be some woke white middle class spoilt brat that takes offence at it though.

It's not that it's difficult for me to get.. It's that I don't follow the logic. 2020 and the current climate doesn't add validity to these arguments that x, y, and z, are racist because some people might consider them racist.

For what it’s worth I don’t consider it racist.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,166 ✭✭✭Quantum Erasure

I've some Punch shoe polish with Negro on it.

Only a matter of time before someone says that black people were once made shine shoes and so has to be cancelled.

Odds are 99.99% it'll be some woke white middle class spoilt brat that takes offence at it though.
    Crayola are holding out, for now...

https://twitter.com/Crayola/status/1266464416058560512

Crayola have history with this. They removed their flesh coloured crayon which was a peach colour due to the fact that there is different colour flesh. This was in 1962, so it’s not a modern thing.

Indian red was removed too. Well name change. Was a pigment from a tree but became synonymous with American Indians.

So, before people get angry that this is all new, this sort of thing has been going on for decades.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,800 ✭✭✭ProfessorPlum

Crayola have history with this. They removed their flesh coloured crayon which was a peach colour due to the fact that there is different colour flesh. This was in 1962, so it’s not a modern thing.

Indian red was removed too. Well name change. Was a pigment from a tree but became synonymous with American Indians.

So, before people get angry that this is all new, this sort of thing has been going on for decades.

Hardly the same as removing the colour /name of the colour black though. Applying the word ‘black’ to a colour that is black isn’t racist. Not in any language.
    The idea that anyone would petition Crayola to remove ‘black’ is ridiculous and should make people laugh at the gob****ery of it, and the person demanding it, not make them angry tbh.

Hardly the same as removing the colour /name of the colour black though. Applying the word ‘black’ to a colour that is black isn’t racist. Not in any language.
    The idea that anyone would petition Crayola to remove ‘black’ is ridiculous and should make people laugh at the gob****ery of it, and the person demanding it, not make them angry tbh.

It is ridiculous. Pure lack of education and not knowing that Spanish word for black is negro. I don’t think it is the English word. But stupid people stupid acts.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,166 ✭✭✭Quantum Erasure

As a kid I always wondered why a black guy and not a Chinese guy was on the box. ...

Bit racist, no? :pac:

• Advertisement

Bit racist, no? :pac:

Yes I deserved the cat o nine tails.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,133 ✭✭✭Hamsterchops

It is ridiculous. Pure lack of education and not knowing that Spanish word for black is negro. I don’t think it is the English word. But stupid people stupid acts.

So what do the Spaniards call black people?

I was saying that it was stupid to try and say negro was an offensive word as it is black in Spanish. Not sure why you are asking me this question

• Registered Users Posts: 147 ✭✭Achebe

Negros.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,909 ✭✭✭CtevenSrowder

Achebe wrote: »
    Negros.

This just goes to show that all Spanish speakers are racists.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,133 ✭✭✭Hamsterchops

I was saying that it was stupid to try and say negro was an offensive word as it is black in Spanish. Not sure why you are asking me this question

It was s rhetorical question really, like I know negro is the Spanish word for black, but it just seems so last century to be talking about black people as negros. Maybe black people don't mind being called negros by Spaniards, I don't know.

I'm a Caucasian which presumably means I'm white, sorry L'Oréal ;)

It was s rhetorical question really, like I know negro is the Spanish word for black, but it just seems so last century to be talking about black people as negros. Maybe black people don't mind being called negros by Spaniards, I don't know.

Its just the colour black. Used for black jeans, black paint. Nothing to do with the English word negro.

Context. They're not using the word negro in reference to black people. They're using the word negro to mean the color black. A black car. A black cat.

This is just like the outcry over the professor using the Chinese word, which sounded like nigga. Context.

Advertisement