Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

L’Oreal to remove the word “white” and “whitening from product labels.

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,254 ✭✭✭LiquidZeb

Biker79 wrote: »
    I saw some pics of those US Antifa/ BLM protestors.

Bloody hell, it looked like an audition for ' The Hills Have Eyes ' or a new Mad Max film.

Any of the looney left on the thread here care to share some selfies? Purely for research purposes...

Let's see you first Kate Winslet.

joeguevara wrote: »
    Ah ya, you’re right. Even though no one said that the genocide wiped out the entire population, you are most likely correct that Hispanics revere Colon and have no issue with the mass suicide of indigenous people rather than comply with Spanish barbarity, equally have no issue of throwing indigenous females to his crew to rape, or cutting the ears of teenage boys as a warning to others. They also have no issue with the diseases brought by the Europeans. As for their colour, it was all a big love fest with their new mates.

Yeah sure weren't they all queueing to to go work in the sugar plantations? Id better not give the crew here any ideas though.

FVP3 wrote: »
    So who are the hispanics in South America then, if there was a spanish genocide. Surely they would all be white Spanish if no indigenous were left?

And yet the US, at least, see hispanics as brown.

The history is clearly more complex than that, South America was colonised but there was much more intermarriage and this created a mixed culture with strong Spanish roots. Which is why statues of columbus are not being attacked in South America, or by hispanics in the US.

Sure if the Holocaust happened then there'd be no Jews left. That's basically what you said.

FVP3 wrote: »
    So who are the hispanics in South America then, if there was a spanish genocide. Surely they would all be white Spanish if no indigenous were left?

And yet the US, at least, see hispanics as brown.

The history is clearly more complex than that, South America was colonised but there was much more intermarriage and this created a mixed culture with strong Spanish roots. Which is why statues of columbus are not being attacked in South America, or by hispanics in the US.

At the same time, there are families who can trace their ancestry back to their Spanish ancestors, and there was no intermarriage with the native population. Spanish through and through. You can find such families in Argentina or other countries where traditionally "class" and bloodlines had more importance. Wouldn't they also be considered Hispanics since they were born in that part of the world, and are of Spanish descent? (which is why I raised the point as to whether the Spanish would/should be included in the Whitey comment)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,018 ✭✭✭joeguevara

At the same time, there are families who can trace their ancestry back to their Spanish ancestors, and there was no intermarriage with the native population. Spanish through and through. You can find such families in Argentina or other countries where traditionally "class" and bloodlines had more importance. Wouldn't they also be considered Hispanics since they were born in that part of the world, and are of Spanish descent? (which is why I raised the point as to whether the Spanish would/should be included in the Whitey comment)

Nothing should be included in the whitey comment. It really came across as disparaging and in no way constructive. The Spanish colonists looked very similar to the Italians with brown hair and brown eyes. Skin would have been darker than other regions in Europe but much lighter than what we could consider Hispanic today. Even Hispanic can look remarkably different depending on the region. It is a melting pot of the indigenous people, the European colonists and the black African slaves that Colombus so generously had as an entourage, different levels of inter marriage and relationships is what developed into modern day Hispanic.

But Spanish were European. Like you wouldnt have seen an Esse or Colo (on purpose to make a point) wandering around the royal palace.

And anyway if we are going to be technical Hispanic refers simply to be the language that is spoken regardless of origin or race Spanish. Latino refers to geography. There are many different races of Latino ranging from white to black and everything in between.

• Advertisement

Nothing should be included in the whitey comment. It really came across as disparaging and in no way constructive. The Spanish colonists looked very similar to the Italians with brown hair and brown eyes. Skin would have been darker than other regions in Europe but much lighter than what we could consider Hispanic today. Even Hispanic can look remarkably different depending on the region. It is a melting pot of the indigenous people, the European colonists and the black African slaves that Colombus so generously had as an entourage, different levels of inter marriage and relationships is what developed into modern day Hispanic.

But Spanish were European. Like you wouldnt have seen an Esse or Colo (on purpose to make a point) wandering around the royal palace.

Ahh, so you would completely dismiss the infusion of Moorish blood within the Spanish people? Since a large part of Spain was conquered for over 160 years by peoples from Africa. (long before the Spanish colonialisation of the Americas)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,479 ✭✭✭SouthWesterly

LiquidZeb wrote: »
    And who was driving the demand for African slaves? Good old whitey raping and pillaging the world.

Yes, let's not blame the blacks for selling their own people into slavery.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,915 ✭✭✭Cupatae

Whoops posted this in the wrong thread.

Ahh, so you would completely dismiss the infusion of Moorish blood within the Spanish people? Since a large part of Spain was conquered for over 160 years by peoples from Africa. (long before the Spanish colonialisation of the Americas)

They did so much fcucking that they changed the bloodline forever. So your great great great ,...ah I’ll let Dennis hopper explain

https://youtu.be/PcZCGMCDzbU

That was what gave Spaniards the brown hair and slightly darker skin than the original roman origin. But still no where near what the indigenous people were and what eventually became Hispanic/Latino.

• Registered Users Posts: 680 ✭✭✭jim salter

When people look to be offended, invariably they will find offence in something, anything. IMO it says more about the person that finds offence in something that is not intended to offend. What people seem to forget is INTENT and if the intent is NOT to be offensive the problem is with those that take offence and their hangers-on

As post #2 said, the world is gone mad.

People virtue signalling, just because...I sincerely hope this phase of human history passes quickly

• Advertisement

They did so much fcucking that they changed the bloodline forever. So your great great great ,...ah I’ll let Dennis hopper explain

https://youtu.be/PcZCGMCDzbU

That was what gave Spaniards the brown hair and slightly darker skin than the original roman origin. But still no where near what the indigenous people were and what eventually became Hispanic/Latino.

And you're dismissing what I said based on what?

"Southern Europeans get a significant portion of their genetic ancestry from North Africa, new research suggests."

"The team found that for Southwestern Europeans (those from Italy, Spain and Greece), between 4 and 20 percent of their genomes came from North Africa, compared to less than 2 percent in Southeastern Europe"

Or take a look at wiki

And you're dismissing what I said based on what?

"Southern Europeans get a significant portion of their genetic ancestry from North Africa, new research suggests."

"The team found that for Southwestern Europeans (those from Italy, Spain and Greece), between 4 and 20 percent of their genomes came from North Africa, compared to less than 2 percent in Southeastern Europe"

Or take a look at wiki

That’s interesting, I like learning new things. I’m being genuine.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,888 ✭✭✭malinheader

Proud to be Irish, proud to be white well redy kind of tan this time of year, have been called paddy and mick, worked with a jock, taffy, etc. And all got on well, love fawlty towers, mind your language etc.So if anyone takes offence at this then they can go fcuk themselves. God help the younger generation coming up.

That’s interesting, I like learning new things. I’m being genuine.

I agree with you that the Whitey comment was ignorant... but so too is the belief that slavery was predominately a white industry, especially, if you consider the Spanish to be different based on racial ancestry.

It's PR spin. The use of slavery by Africans themselves, the Arabs/Turks, etc are all ignored so that people can throw the practice at White people, to encourage the belief in collective guilt, or collective responsibility.... Just as there were Black "masters" who owned and profited through the slave trade. All ignored so that White people can be held accountable by a case of double standards.

jim salter wrote: »
    When people look to be offended, invariably they will find offence in something, anything. IMO it says more about the person that finds offence in something that is not intended to offend. What people seem to forget is INTENT and if the intent is NOT to be offensive the proplem is with those that take offence and their habgers-on

As post #2 said, the world is gone mad.

People virtue signalling, just because...I sincerely hope this phase of human history passes quickly

So for one example, Linehan did so much extensive research on a random person that he found a photograph of them prior to undergoing gender reassignment surgery and published to the entire world with the sole objective to shame that person. Are you saying that was only for sh1ts and giggles. But just for a bit of clarity in every equality law that defines and bullying and harassment it explicitly states that the intention of the perpetrator is irrelevant and the only relevance is how it makes the person feel. Here is one article describing that.

It does come across that you jumped straight from post #2 to straight into a typical rant on virtue signalling completely disregarding the fact that pretty much every single person who are on both sides of the argument universally agree that his actions were reprehensible and a ban was deserved.

Proud to be Irish, proud to be white well redy kind of tan this time of year, have been called paddy and mick, worked with a jock, taffy, etc. And all got on well, love fawlty towers, mind your language etc.So if anyone takes offence at this then they can go fcuk themselves. God help the younger generation coming up.

God you’re cool. Sure maybe look at what is being discussed and you may see that none of it is in any way conncected to a few of your favourite things. Edginess of saying words like Jock and Taffy oozes pure mule.

I agree with you that the Whitey comment was ignorant... but so too is the belief that slavery was predominately a white industry, especially, if you consider the Spanish to be different based on racial ancestry.

It's PR spin. The use of slavery by Africans themselves, the Arabs/Turks, etc are all ignored so that people can throw the practice at White people, to encourage the belief in collective guilt, or collective responsibility.... Just as there were Black "masters" who owned and profited through the slave trade. All ignored so that White people can be held accountable by a case of double standards.

You’re probably right. Maybe White was used incorrectly instead of European. But there is no getting away from the fact that it was European instruction to colonise.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,888 ✭✭✭malinheader

God you’re cool. Sure maybe look at what is being discussed and you may see that none of it is in any way conncected to a few of your favourite things. Edginess of saying words like Jock and Taffy oozes pure mule.

Bollocks, pure bollocks too many people looking for excuses to be offended. Pure mule my ass. Time to wise up a bit and worry about real issues.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,179 ✭✭✭Quantum Erasure

It does come across that you jumped straight from post #2 to straight into a typical rant on virtue signalling completely disregarding .....

what thread are we in?

• Registered Users Posts: 95 ✭✭collywobble7

Black lives matter, isnt about whitening toothpaste its about please stop shooting innocent Black people.

Innocent? Really....tell me more

• Advertisement

You’re probably right. Maybe White was used incorrectly instead of European. But there is no getting away from the fact that it was European instruction to colonise.

There's no escaping that all countries sought to expand their power and borders. The idea that White people or Europeans are somehow special in how they did it is incredibly ignorant of history. Asian nations committed mass genocides, as did many African tribes. South American civilisations such as the Inca's and Aztecs did similar.

But somehow what the European did was worse... simply because they colonized far from their home territories, as opposed to expanding their own domestic borders destroying their neighbors. Islamic civilisations destroyed or swallowed most nations who bordered them unless they were superior in power... but that's somehow less important than European colonialisation?

Anyway, if we're really going to be crying against the evils of colonialisation you might consider the Phoenicians, or Carthage who colonised whole areas of Northern Africa, and Southern Spain, displacing and killing the inhabitants. Both of which weren't Europeans as such. You really think the China of the Qing Dynasty got that way without colonialising huge areas of land? There's a reason why there's 57 ethnic groups in China, and that's not counting those ethnic groups which were completely wiped out.

The problem with the logic behind European aggression is that it seeks to blatantly ignore a huge amount of history which shows similar behavior by other peoples/nations. The only real difference is that Europeans were more successful on a global scale.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,916 ✭✭✭ronivek

I always enjoy these threads where predominately white men complain about things which literally have zero impact on their own lives; whilst simultaneously claiming these changes are only being made because some other people are also complaining about things which literally have zero impact on their own lives.

The important thing to note here is that the entire world doesn't revolve around your white European view of the world; and in fact the vast majority of the world's population are not in fact white or European.

The changes here are not just related to the word white; they're about a worldwide phenomenon where lighter skin is tended to be favoured to differing degrees. They are also removing references to "fair" and "light" along with "white" precisely because they're trying to distance themselves from any implication that lighter skin tones are somehow better than others.

But sure; boycott them for trying to keep up with trends in society and promoting body positivity in their advertising and marketing. How dare they.

Bollocks, pure bollocks too many people looking for excuses to be offended. Pure mule my ass. Time to wise up a bit and worry about real issues.

Hands up. Apologies. I was posting in the Graham Linehan thread and got mixed up. I actually agree with you.

what thread are we in?

I got mixed up. Surprised I didn’t post about spurs Sheffield United here.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,179 ✭✭✭Quantum Erasure

ronivek wrote: »
    The important thing to note here is that the entire world doesn't revolve around your white European view of the world; and in fact the vast majority of the world's population are not in fact white or European.

hmm, dunno...

Munroe Bergdorf: Model rejoins L'Oreal three years after being sacked for white supremacy comment
    The model is joining the cosmetic giant's diversity board after the new president apologised.
    Tuesday 9 June 2020
    https://news.sky.com/story/munroe-bergdorf-model-rejoins-loreal-three-years-after-being-sacked-for-white-supremacy-comment-12003807
    “Most of ya’ll don’t even realise or refuse to acknowledge that your existence, privilege and success as a race is built on the backs, blood and death of people of colour,” she wrote. “Your entire existence is drenched in racism. From micro-aggressions to terrorism, you built the blueprint for this ****. Come see me when you realise racism isn’t learned, it’s inherited and consciously or unconsciously passed down through privilege. Once white people begin to admit their race is the most violent and oppressive force of nature on Earth … then we can talk.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,388 ✭✭✭NSAman

I am so conflicted. My toothpaste is Black Whitening paste (charcoal) am I being racially insensitive by doing black mouth?

NSAman wrote: »
    I am so conflicted. My toothpaste is Black Whitening paste (charcoal) am I being racially insensitive by doing black mouth?

Go for the thread bingo and ask will fake tan be banned. Are you sad that a product you will never use will have a different packaging?

But back to your post, I have the same toothpaste and very impressed with the difference it makes.

Skin whitening cream would have been one of the those dumb examples of what they might change next and sure enough, it has happened and people are talking about it.

I don't like the idea of workless utopia anymore in the future. People are hopelessly retarded when they're left with too much time on their hands.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,528 ✭✭✭wandererz

What kind of people would use L'Oréal whitening products?

• Advertisement

wandererz wrote: »
    What kind of people would use L'Oréal whitening products?

When travelling in Asia most girls that I would meet in companies (and my friends wives and relations) would use it. They would always be covered up and maybe with an umbrella If outside in the day and could tell that they were using some sort of lightener on their faces. They would look at me incredulously if I was out in a T-shirt I’d say I just stayed by the pool for the weekend. They never came out and say it but it was obvious that they felt that if they were dark it looked like they came from the paddy fields.

At corporate meetings in some of the larger cities, the girls in accounts or HR and the bosses daughters all had the complexion of a porcelain doll.

The other festure that they were obsessed with was a western nose. If they were looking on insta they would study the noses of westerners. I reckon I met over 20 who had nose jobs, with varying success.

Advertisement