Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

L’Oreal to remove the word “white” and “whitening from product labels.

Options

Comments

Some posters on here insist that there is no such thing as a PC brigade. This is evidence that they do exist and are alarmingly influential with big decision makers.

Some posters on here insist that there is no such thing as a PC brigade. This is evidence that they do exist and are alarmingly influential with big decision makers.

joe40 wrote: »
    I don't think reparations would be workable, and no serious person is looking for an apology.

<>

Education can be achieved by museums, books etc. It is nonsense to suggest statues serve an educational purpose.

For me, at least, I consider that statues serve as a connection with the past. Remove the offending statue from a street or public place, and install it in a museum. I am completely against any movement which wants historical artifacts (regardless of what they were intended for) to be destroyed. Which is what many people want... not simply the removal, but the destruction of "offensive" reminders from history.

Reparations are a joke though. Collective responsibility for what your ancestors did? God no. We are not our fathers or our Grandfathers. We are responsible for what our country does within our lifetime because we have the ability to steer the course of our nation (should we choose to do so).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,254 ✭✭✭LiquidZeb

TomTomTim wrote: »
    You're the type of poster to scream about the mods letting conversations you don't like exist, yet you don't seem to see the amount of leeway posters like yourself get. I'd get a straight ban if I said that about any other group.

Poor persecuted you.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,179 ✭✭✭Quantum Erasure

sdanseo wrote: »
    I was just thinking today how "liberal" culture has progressed.
    Someone who had what was considered to be a fairly liberal viewpoint 10 years ago would today in some circles be viewed as a neo-fascist.

not sure if this was posted, Jonathan Pie's take on the woke utopia

• Advertisement

Really? The Egyptian empire through a variety of dynasties? How about the Ottoman empire? Both had large involvement in the slave trade before whitey got involved in any major way... As did African tribes who sold their captives into slavery long before Whitey came along... what were those markets for? After all, many accounts by European explorers refer to slavery being established before the European powers or companies gained any serious foothold there.

And I often wonder about Spanish people, would they be white? Considering they had the largest European empire that involved slavery.. but I guess it's just convenient to consider Spanish people as white while they're in Europe, but Hispanic when in the Americas.

In fact, if you're willing to actually consider those nations who actively engaged in the use of slaves, European/White nations likely fall behind in how long the trade was acted, and the actual numbers of slaves enslaved. Instead, the focus is on Europeans (sorry, "Whitey") because of their trading/transportation of slaves Even though, slavery (as a business and institution) was essentially ended by Whitey.

But, I know that this will be ignored, since we live in a world where historical facts are often inconvenient, and will be ignored in favor of maintaining a series of double standards, to enables minorities to feel entitled to their victim status.

(especially since Black owners of slaves was a thing... who was driving it? who cares as long as you can pass the blame on to white people)

Native Spanish people aren't Hispanic. Hispanics are the offspring of Spanish settlers and native Americans. Also the poster was talking about the Atlantic slave trade so why would I mention the ottomans or the Egyptian trade?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,018 ✭✭✭joeguevara

Really? The Egyptian empire through a variety of dynasties? How about the Ottoman empire? Both had large involvement in the slave trade before whitey got involved in any major way... As did African tribes who sold their captives into slavery long before Whitey came along... what were those markets for? After all, many accounts by European explorers refer to slavery being established before the European powers or companies gained any serious foothold there.

And I often wonder about Spanish people, would they be white? Considering they had the largest European empire that involved slavery.. but I guess it's just convenient to consider Spanish people as white while they're in Europe, but Hispanic when in the Americas.

In fact, if you're willing to actually consider those nations who actively engaged in the use of slaves, European/White nations likely fall behind in how long the trade was acted, and the actual numbers of slaves enslaved. Instead, the focus is on Europeans (sorry, "Whitey") because of their trading/transportation of slaves Even though, slavery (as a business and institution) was essentially ended by Whitey.

But, I know that this will be ignored, since we live in a world where historical facts are often inconvenient, and will be ignored in favor of maintaining a series of double standards, to enables minorities to feel entitled to their victim status.

(especially since Black owners of slaves was a thing... who was driving it? who cares as long as you can pass the blame on to white people)

Honestly what is your point. What is the continuous blaming of other equally reprehensible people seem as some vindication of the actions of people being discussed. The topic of slavery was specifically linked to the removal of statues in the U.K. and one in Belgium. There is no denying that a public statue of them in regalia while they profited in human trafficking and in the case of King Leopold the death of 10 million Congolese is not appropriate. You can only control what you can control and a person in the U.K. disregarding the actions of revered people from the U.K. because Egyptians and/or African tribes dont admit acts is flawed.

Your comment about Spanish versus Hispanic i don’t understand. Spanish colonisation in Latin America caused the death of 8 million people and considered one of the first actions of mass genocide. Spain carried that not the indigenous people in South America.

joeguevara wrote: »
    Honestly what is your point. What is the continuous blaming of other equally reprehensible people seem as some vindication of the actions of people being discussed. The topic of slavery was specifically linked to the removal of statues in the U.K. and one in Belgium. There is no denying that a public statue of them in regalia while they profited in human trafficking and in the case of King Leopold the death of 10 million Congolese is not appropriate. You can only control what you can control and a person in the U.K. disregarding the actions of revered people from the U.K. because Egyptians and/or African tribes dont admit acts is flawed.

Your comment about Spanish versus Hispanic i don’t understand. Spanish colonisation in Latin America caused the death of 8 million people and considered one of the first actions of mass genocide. Spain carried that not the indigenous people in South America.

Ignore him he thinks ethnic Spanish people are Hispanics. Shows what he knows

LiquidZeb wrote: »
    Native Spanish people aren't Hispanic. Hispanics are the offspring of Spanish settlers and native Americans. Also the poster was talking about the Atlantic slave trade so why would I mention the ottomans or the Egyptian trade?

I actually did write a reply but then, I thought to myself, why give credibility to this deflection?

• Registered Users Posts: 220 ✭✭Lyan

rapul wrote: »
    Where will it end, toothpaste has whitening on all of em nearly, won't be able to say white or black at all soon, pc ****ing madness

It will end when they attempt to sell teeth blackening toothpaste.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,067 ✭✭✭MarkY91

I don't get the whole "whiter, paler" skin is most beautiful. To me, most beautiful is middle eastern, Mediterranean, South American, Native American, Indian.

I used to date a Chinese girl who was obsessed with being as pale as possible. I didn't have the heart to tell her, and because she was beautiful in many other ways, that I prefer darker skin.

In terms of products mentioning colour, I actually think most of it is an insecurity of white people.

Black lives matter, isnt about whitening toothpaste its about please stop shooting innocent Black people.

You're from different cultures. Irish people like exotic women with dark skin.

People in China and all over easy and south east Asia like to have white skin (same as us loving to sunbathe) as it's considered to be more attractive and that only poor people have to go out in the scorching heat to work etc.

There's nothing wrong with Irish people wanting a tan in Spain just like there's nothing caring with a Chinese woman avoiding the sun and using whitening creams.

Honestly what is your point. What is the continuous blaming of other equally reprehensible people seem as some vindication of the actions of people being discussed.

Who did I blame? LiquidZeb made the statement... I countered it.
    The topic of slavery was specifically linked to the removal of statues in the U.K. and one in Belgium.

I quoted and responded to a direct piece. The quoted piece was a sweeping generalisation, and flawed. Simple enough really.

"And who was driving the demand for African slaves? Good old whitey raping and pillaging the world."

The Spanish Empire engaged in Slavery on a large scale, and for a long time was the main importer of slaves (to their colonies) from Africa. The question was about whether they would be considered "whitey"... since many Spanish (even back in the day) are very much of the darker skin color rather than white.

LiquidZeb wrote: »
    Ignore him he thinks ethnic Spanish people are Hispanics. Shows what he knows

It was a question...

As for what I "know".. I do tend to be more accurate in my comments than your sweeping (and rather ignorant) generalisations.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,316 ✭✭✭nthclare

Cant fcking wait until these liberal bastard's attack the gay pride flag.

Imagine being one of these mental cases, banning white FFS

Anyhow most of these liberal cucks are ugly creepy and unattractive.

Shower of **** the lot of them, next these ***** will ban transparency.
    Stupid pricks

• Registered Users Posts: 6,904 ✭✭✭circadian

sdanseo wrote: »
    Another example of liberal extortionism.

I was just thinking today how "liberal" culture has progressed.
    Someone who had what was considered to be a fairly liberal viewpoint 10 years ago would today in some circles be viewed as a neo-fascist.

Lawl.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,316 ✭✭✭nthclare

Lyan wrote: »
    It will end when they attempt to sell teeth blackening toothpaste.

Most of these liberals have teeth like burnt fence's, and are ugly Anyhow...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 794 ✭✭✭Biker79

TomTomTim wrote: »
    You're the type of poster to scream about the mods letting conversations you don't like exist, yet you don't seem to see the amount of leeway posters like yourself get. I'd get a straight ban if I said that about any other group.

Exactly right.

' Hello Beasty, I see you there, patiently tapping your ban hammer ' :)

Of course, the reason the looney left get away with it is down to free social media sites having to placate their advertisers. This is their business model. Anything that is slightly risky or ambiguous...( but on closer inspection revealed to be factual and correct ) is dismissed as ' alt-right ' or any one of those other daft slurs.
    ( e.g: Eric Weinstein, an accomplished Jewish mathematician was called 'alt-right', for pointing out the relationship between a collapsing business model in the mainstream media and the increase in the looney left )

No advertiser wants their brand associated with anything other than something squeaky clean and virtuous, which in turn creates a runaway effect of faux social justice, feelings over facts, looney left posting culture.

The less that sites rely on advertising revenue, the more balanced they are in their moderating, encouraging more intelligent content.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,179 ✭✭✭Quantum Erasure

circadian wrote: »
    Lawl.

terfs say hi

nthclare wrote: »
    Most of these liberals have teeth like burnt fence's, and are ugly Anyhow...

I saw some pics of those US Antifa/ BLM protestors.

Bloody hell, it looked like an audition for ' The Hills Have Eyes ' or a new Mad Max film.

Any of the looney left on the thread here care to share some selfies? Purely for research purposes...

• Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,655 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tokyo

nthclare wrote: »
    Cant fcking wait until these liberal bastard's attack the gay pride flag.

Imagine being one of these mental cases, banning white FFS

Anyhow most of these liberal cucks are ugly creepy and unattractive.

Shower of **** the lot of them, next these ***** will ban transparency.
    Stupid pricks

Mod: Hardly an attempt at reasonable discussion. Don't post in the thread again.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,811 ✭✭✭joe40

Biker79 wrote: »
    I saw some pics of those US Antifa/ BLM protestors.

Bloody hell, it looked like an audition for ' The Hills Have Eyes ' or a new Mad Max film.

Any of the looney left on the thread here care to share some selfies? Purely for research purposes...

There are a few posters here who I may disagree with, but at the same time they can make intelligent, well thought out arguments.

Then you have sh*the like this and the other eejit who just got banned and you feel like f*uck it I'll leave the clowns to their nonsensical ramblings.

• Registered Users Posts: 197 ✭✭Mr Meanor

Microbeads.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,915 ✭✭✭Cupatae

Mr Meanor wrote: »
    Microbeads.

what color are they? if they re white you ve got a shot at getting em removed thru some warped version of racism.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,187 ✭✭✭FVP3

So who are the hispanics in South America then, if there was a spanish genocide. Surely they would all be white Spanish if no indigenous were left?

And yet the US, at least, see hispanics as brown.

The history is clearly more complex than that, South America was colonised but there was much more intermarriage and this created a mixed culture with strong Spanish roots. Which is why statues of columbus are not being attacked in South America, or by hispanics in the US.

joe40 wrote: »
    There are a few posters here who I may disagree with, but at the same time they can make intelligent, well thought out arguments.

Then you have sh*the like this and the other eejit who just got banned and you feel like f*uck it I'll leave the clowns to their nonsensical ramblings.

So your posts are intellectually dishonest and you don't like a bit of joshing.

Still can't see any reasons to engage with your posts but I am open to the idea.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,811 ✭✭✭joe40

Biker79 wrote: »
    So your posts are intellectually dishonest and you don't like a bit of joshing.

Still can't see any reasons to engage with your posts but I am open to the idea.

How exactly have I been dishonest.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,203 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

Christ above nthclare went for ultimate martyrdom there :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,040 ✭✭✭Mister Vain

mick087 wrote: »
    They should spend less time worrying about over priced coffee and should they or should they not have a Muffin or croissant with it.
    Don't forget the avocado on toast.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,203 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

No reference to "censorship" or "free speech".........dissapointing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,018 ✭✭✭joeguevara

FVP3 wrote: »
    So who are the hispanics in South America then, if there was a spanish genocide. Surely they would all be white Spanish if no indigenous were left?

And yet the US, at least, see hispanics as brown.

The history is clearly more complex than that, South America was colonised but there was much more intermarriage and this created a mixed culture with strong Spanish roots. Which is why statues of columbus are not being attacked in South America, or by hispanics in the US.

Ah ya, you’re right. Even though no one said that the genocide wiped out the entire population, you are most likely correct that Hispanics revere Colon and have no issue with the mass suicide of indigenous people rather than comply with Spanish barbarity, equally have no issue of throwing indigenous females to his crew to rape, or cutting the ears of teenage boys as a warning to others. They also have no issue with the diseases brought by the Europeans. As for their colour, it was all a big love fest with their new mates.

Advertisement