Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Old TV programmes you liked but no one else remembers

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,943 ✭✭✭✭the purple tin

I missed it at the time it came out and only saw it recently but The Shield is great. Very gritty series though.

So many familiar faces in it too that you recognise from other shows.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,161 ✭✭✭KaneToad

I remember watching "A place in France". It was a Ch4 production, about 20 years ago. It was a reality show- back when reality was good.

It followed Nigel (Farrell) & Nippy (Singh) and their endeavours to buy a property in France and open an Indian restaurant.

I loved it. No one else seems to have even heard of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,890 ✭✭✭Hangdogroad

Vaguely remember a travel show shown on (I think) RTE circa mid to late 90s. I only caught it when it was coming to an end. An Irish and a Welsh girl in their late teens or early twenties who were travelling through either Chile or Argentina or possibly both. The Welsh girl was a bit hippy ish. The Irish girl came across as really arrogant and full of herself.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,003 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

Anyone remember the big Bow Wow?

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0401913/

• Registered Users Posts: 1,921 ✭✭✭Andrea B.

Mart and Market

• Advertisement

Anyone remember the big Bow Wow?

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0401913/

Yes. One of the worst things RTE have ever put out and that's saying something.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,716 ✭✭✭NewbridgeIR

Andrea B. wrote: »
    Mart and Market

Fond memories of Cowjack

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,003 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

Yes. One of the worst things RTE have ever put out and that's saying something.

I just came across that page by accident, I can vaguely remember it, must have been so.

Molloy, , RTE sitcom from 88 or 89 starring Jim Norton. Wasnt very good. One piece of dialogue that sticks in my mind was "get off me you smelly sex maniac!" about the only laugh in the whole thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,522 ✭✭✭paleoperson

I think Due South would be fairly mainstream, I'm sure it's still on the satellite channels occasionally.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32 Subbuteo

I think Due South would be fairly mainstream, I'm sure it's still on the satellite channels occasionally.

Yep it was a good show!

Anyone remember ‘Telly Cat’ from late 80s the Children’s Channel? Not easy to find anything online.

It was a surreal show featuring a news reading cat and an ostrich with cleavage. I recall it being a bizarrely uncomfortable watch, which was rare for kids tv back then...

Subbuteo wrote: »
    Yep it was a good show!

Anyone remember ‘Telly Cat’ from late 80s the Children’s Channel? Not easy to find anything online.

It was a surreal show featuring a news reading cat and an ostrich with cleavage. I recall it being a bizarrely uncomfortable watch, which was rare for kids tv back then...

Tele-chat? It's all on YouTube, albeit in French. It was originally shown in France in the 80s. The makers were also behind a very messed up puppet movie about the Marquis De Sade which I stumbled upon late on night in the early 90s on one of the German satellite channels.

• Registered Users Posts: 32 Subbuteo

Tele-chat? It's all on YouTube, albeit in French. It was originally shown in France in the 80s.

Thats it! The version I remember was an english dub with re-recorded titles. Every bit as odd as I recall

• Registered Users Posts: 6 davekim

I really missing my childhood days because in that days, I watched my favorite cartoon series Thunder Cats.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,579 ✭✭✭smilerf

Not that old but I loved Becker
    Never hear anyone mentioning it

• Registered Users Posts: 8,666 ✭✭✭Worztron

davekim wrote: »
    I really missing my childhood days because in that days, I watched my favorite cartoon series Thunder Cats.

The intro was amazing.

Mitch Hedberg: "Rice is great if you're really hungry and want to eat two thousand of something."

• Registered Users Posts: 27,895 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

I have a memory of Thunder Cats airing on a thursday at teatime and eating Findus crispy pancakes...

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

smilerf wrote: »
    Not that old but I loved Becker
    Never hear anyone mentioning it
    Great sitcom. Ted Danson as an ill-tempered doctor who has a pathological hatred of midgets. :D
    They couldn't do it nowadays.

Trying to remember a BBC Northern Ireland series from the late 90s, Sort of drama/black comedy set in Belfast. Two guys running some sort of scam that involved getting a loan of a million pounds for some arts project (I think). One of them was a fat Mark Addy lookalike who used to pop up in a lot of NI set films and tv round the turn of the Millenium.

Trying to remember a BBC Northern Ireland series from the late 90s, Sort of drama/black comedy set in Belfast. Two guys running some sort of scam that involved getting a loan of a million pounds for some arts project (I think). One of them was a fat Mark Addy lookalike who used to pop up in a lot of NI set films and tv round the turn of the Millenium.

Found it, it was Eureka Street.

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0213344/

• Advertisement

Anyone remember this load of rubbish? Greatest Heroes Of The Bible. RTE showed it circa 1985. Looked cheap as chips, battle scenes with about ten combatants and wonky sets plus filled with fading 1950's stars who obviously needed the money.

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0077018/

The State Of Us.
    An excellent parody. It was Risteard Cooper playing famous RTE celebrities and politicians of the day (mid 00s about).
    Pat Kenny was the main character, his Marianne Finnuchane impression was hilarious. Riiight, riiight :D

Remember that drama-doc thing RTE did around mid 00's about the consequences of a meltdown at Sellafield? About the closest they've come to a Threads type dystopian drama. The most effective part was the fake news report, I dunno was it with Anne Doyle?, it was a real newsreader anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,444 ✭✭✭✭Skid X

Remember that drama-doc thing RTE did around mid 00's about the consequences of a meltdown at Sellafield? About the closest they've come to a Threads type dystopian drama. The most effective part was the fake news report, I dunno was it with Anne Doyle?, it was a real newsreader anyway.

Yeah, I think that was 'Fallout'

The news reports were done well. A few viewers were spooked and thought it was real.

I don't think the full show is online anywhere, there are a few clips

• Registered Users Posts: 28,389 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

Skid X wrote: »
    Yeah, I think that was 'Fallout'

The news reports were done well. A few viewers were spooked and thought it was real.

I don't think the full show is online anywhere, there are a few clips
    It was quite realistic indeed, and didn't include all the usual same oul RTE faces iirc.

Does anyone remember this guy who would come on to one of the Irish Saturday morning kids shows.

Children would ring in and give him some details about themselves and then he would go off on an angry rant shouting and slagging them off for a minute or two.
    I don't know who on earth thought it would be a good idea for kids tv, sometimes he seemed to really lose the run of himself. One time he called a girl 'Little Miss Pissy Knickers'!
    Some time in the 80s I think maybe the 90s.

Does anyone remember this guy who would come on to one of the Irish Saturday morning kids shows.

Children would ring in and give him some details about themselves and then he would go off on an angry rant shouting and slagging them off for a minute or two.
    I don't know who on earth thought it would be a good idea for kids tv, sometimes he seemed to really lose the run of himself. One time he called a girl 'Little Miss Pissy Knickers'!
    Some time in the 80s I think maybe the 90s.

Lol, I'm wracking my brain but that doesn't ring a bell. Was he doing it "in character"? Was he young or old?

Lol, I'm wracking my brain but that doesn't ring a bell. Was he doing it "in character"? Was he young or old?
    He was youngish, maybe 30s. Dark hair, he might have been a failed or wannabe stand-up or something like that.
    He was in character yes, he would come on the show just to do this every week. Maybe called Mr ...something, Mr Angry or something silly like that.

For some reason I keep thinking of Baz Ashwamy I'll have to check him out.

Edit- Not Baz anyway he is too young.

He was youngish, maybe 30s. Dark hair, he might have been a failed or wannabe stand-up or something like that.
    He was in character yes, he would come on the show just to do this every week. Maybe called Mr ...something, Mr Angry or something silly like that.

For some reason I keep thinking of Baz Ashwamy I'll have to check him out.

Edit- Not Baz anyway he is too young.

Might it be Paul Tylak or Joe Rooney? They used to a lot of sketches together on the RTE Saturday morning youth shows in the early 90s.

• Advertisement

Might it be Paul Tylak or Joe Rooney? They used to a lot of sketches together on the RTE Saturday morning youth shows in the early 90s.
    That Tylak guy looks very familiar, you know I think you have got it H. Well done :)

There's also a small chance it was Rooney thinking about it but quite sure it was one of the two.

Advertisement