Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Currently buying/selling a house? How is it going? READ MOD NOTE POST #1

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 184 ✭✭Littleredcar

Any advice on what agent to chose in Dublin sale fell through last week as private sale so going on market . House is empty should I carpet it for sale ?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 17,642 Mod ✭✭✭✭Graham

Mod Note

recommendations by PM please.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,651 ✭✭✭✭beauf

Any advice on what agent to chose in Dublin sale fell through last week as private sale so going on market . House is empty should I carpet it for sale ?

Unless you can't sell it I wouldn't rush to spend big money.

Sales are taking forever at the moment. So expect things to take a lot longer and a lot more sales will fall through than normal.

• Registered Users Posts: 86 ✭✭Salanky

Waited two weeks but finally got my valuation forms back and sent them in to the council. Now just to wait for the loan pack to be issued at the end of this week/start of next week, sign it and the contracts and off to drawdown we go.

• Registered Users Posts: 313 ✭✭strmin

ittakestwo wrote: »
    Could you say what part of country they were?

South Dublin. 10-15% over asking with 9 bidders on one house. I would say perfect time to sell.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,651 ✭✭✭ittakestwo

strmin wrote: »
    South Dublin. 10-15% over asking with 9 bidders on one house. I would say perfect time to sell.

Oh wow. Thanks for that info.

• Registered Users Posts: 143 ✭✭Inspector Dhar

beauf wrote: »
    Unless you can't sell it I wouldn't rush to spend big money.

Sales are taking forever at the moment. So expect things to take a lot longer and a lot more sales will fall through than normal.
    My house went on the market March 16th. Lockdown happened. Viewing recommenced 8th June. Sale agreed 24 June. Sale completed 14 August. €25K over asking. Sweet as a nut.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,788 ✭✭✭Vikings

Not sure what your interpretation of forever is or where you are getting that idea from.

My own house was listed for sale end of July and is sale agreed after accepting an offer last week.

Took 3 Saturday viewings and 1 midweek viewing. Hardly what I would call forever.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,076 ✭✭✭JohnnyChimpo

Vikings wrote: »
    Not sure what your interpretation of forever is or where you are getting that idea from.

My own house was listed for sale end of July and is sale agreed after accepting an offer last week.

Took 3 Saturday viewings and 1 midweek viewing. Hardly what I would call forever.

There's some mileage between "sale agreed" and "sale completed", and most of the hurdles lie between those two points. Including, but not limited to, buyer or seller losing employment or getting put on COVID payment, mortgage approval expiring and exemption being withdrawn, or bank just generally tightening their lending restrictions. Not to mention buyers getting spooked or looking to renegotiate sale price. This is all multiplied in complexity if you're in a chain, of course.

Not to say things won't go smoothly though, and I wish you the best

Vikings wrote: »

I think the average is something like 6~8 weeks between sale agreed and contracts signed. Lot of people seem to we waiting longer than this for the banks to process some or all parts of this process. I'm following a couple of property deals in the works with people I know. Some are at 8 weeks and stalled waiting for the banks. One looks like its going to fall through, and go to the next offer in line because of the delays. All are over asking.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 142 ✭✭into_the_wild

I'm a mortgage approved FTB and I started house hunting in June.
    I had been bidding at second hand properties in greystones and most of them have been going 5-10% above the asking price.
    Also noticed a trend where it looks like new builds in North Dublin/Meath are not selling as much as South Dublin/Wicklow areas.
    I wouldn't call it a buyer's market or a seller's market. Properties in good condition and located in the right areas are still selling like hot cakes with multiple bidders outbidding each other.
    Just thought I'd give my 0.02$ :)

• Registered Users Posts: 17,965 ✭✭✭✭Gavin "shels"

I'm Sale Agreed in Dublin 12 and I've been keeping an eye on the market around D8, 12 & 7 for the past 10 months or so. Properties which have been up for sale in D12 since the start of the year are being snapped up now - everything and anything! Anything which is going up, is Sale Agreed within a few weeks in D12 & D8.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,272 ✭✭✭RiseToMe

There's some mileage between "sale agreed" and "sale completed", and most of the hurdles lie between those two points. Including, but not limited to, buyer or seller losing employment or getting put on COVID payment, mortgage approval expiring and exemption being withdrawn, or bank just generally tightening their lending restrictions. Not to mention buyers getting spooked or looking to renegotiate sale price. This is all multiplied in complexity if you're in a chain, of course.

Not to say things won't go smoothly though, and I wish you the best

This x1000. We sale agreed over asking on our apartment in Dublin when we bought elsewhere. We sold to a fund who were buying several properties in our area, they wanted to complete ASAP, as did we, yet it took 5 months due to the complexities around remote working.

All parties and solicitors were highly motivated to move quickly, but things just can't move as quickly as before anymore.

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 6,068 Mod ✭✭✭✭LoonyLovegood

Finally have the bank moving forward for my loan offer. I'm motivated, the seller just wants to sell and be done with it, but the bank is holding us up. We've been sale agreed for 5 weeks, hoping to get the loan offer in the next few days and finally sign contracts.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,419 ✭✭✭✭jokettle

3 weeks sale agreed, have the formal loan offer from the bank sorted. Seller's solicitor has said it will be "a number of weeks" before they send over the contracts to our solicitor. No reason given, I presume maybe they're on holidays?Our solicitor had to chase them up by email and phone call just to get that message. So...I guess we just keep waiting.

• Registered Users Posts: 891 ✭✭✭mimimcmc

jokettle wrote: »
    3 weeks sale agreed, have the formal loan offer from the bank sorted. Seller's solicitor has said it will be "a number of weeks" before they send over the contracts to our solicitor. No reason given, I presume maybe they're on holidays?Our solicitor had to chase them up by email and phone call just to get that message. So...I guess we just keep waiting.

Same position here, just over 3 weeks sale agreed.
    still waiting on the vendor's solicitor to send documents over so that we can go ahead and get the engineer in and sort out mortgage protection and the rest..
    waiting on loan offer but it should be sorted the end of this week or start of next week.

Met with the owners about 2 weeks ago and they said they want to be out in 8 weeks so I really hope things speed up and they don't get frustrated with us and the delays

• Registered Users Posts: 11,419 ✭✭✭✭jokettle

mimimcmc wrote: »
    Met with the owners about 2 weeks ago and they said they want to be out in 8 weeks so I really hope things speed up and they don't get frustrated with us and the delays

The sellers we're dealing with seem keen to get things done quickly, they put a provisional closing date of mid-late October. So I'm thinking if they get annoyed by any delays, it's their own solicitor they can direct that at!

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭Queenio

jokettle wrote: »
    The sellers we're dealing with seem keen to get things done quickly, they put a provisional closing date of mid-late October. So I'm thinking if they get annoyed by any delays, it's their own solicitor they can direct that at!

Get back on to the estate agent. They have been the most helpful pushing show solicitors as they want the sale closed as much as anyone.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,332 ✭✭✭mojesius

We signed contracts and transferred big deposit today (buying). Hopefully will have keys by this time next month all going well.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,750 ✭✭✭masterboy123

Our new house is ready and builder is calling to close sale. I am wondering whats the legal implication of close sale?
    Few snags are left behind and builder told to me it will be done in the coming days.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 123 ✭✭LJ12345

mimimcmc wrote: »
    Same position here, just over 3 weeks sale agreed.
    still waiting on the vendor's solicitor to send documents over so that we can go ahead and get the engineer in and sort out mortgage protection and the rest..
    waiting on loan offer but it should be sorted the end of this week or start of next week.

Solicitor requests the title deeds from the bank, it takes around 3 weeks for the bank to issue them but until the solicitor has the deeds they can’t prepare the contract. Frustrating I know.

Our new house is ready and builder is calling to close sale. I am wondering whats the legal implication of close sale?
    Few snags are left behind and builder told to me it will be done in the coming days.

Its unlikely (but not impossible) the builder will do the snags after it closed. You may have to decide which snags you are willing to sort out yourself, and which ones are a deal killer for you.

• Administrators Posts: 53,632 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

Its unlikely (but not impossible) the builder will do the snags after it closed. You may have to decide which snags you are willing to sort out yourself, and which ones are a deal killer for you.

They will probably do minor snags without issue provided they are still on site.

Agree though that you need to make a list of the snags you absolutely must fix, and the ones that are inconsequential.

Never been my experience. If a builder can't bothered do the snags to close a sale, what incentive is there afterwards.

• Administrators Posts: 53,632 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

Our developer still came and fixed things for us like a year after we moved in, but maybe we just got lucky.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,750 ✭✭✭masterboy123

Thanks for this info.

awec wrote: »
    Our developer still came and fixed things for us like a year after we moved in, but maybe we just got lucky.

Just a sign of professional builder who cares about his product and reputation. They do exist and it's nice to hear about them. If everyone expected this the bad builders wouldn't get away with it.

In some other countries builders have to lodge bond or something that they dont get back for a number of years unless all issues are fixed. It's like a guarantee. Shows how stone age our building industry is.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,223 ✭✭✭Canyon86

I am a sale agreed with 5 weeks and have all my affairs in order with the finance side of things

However the final contract states that the sellers need to agree a closing date with me and to find a property to live in themselves first before they sell to me they are looking at moving back to the UK

What would be a reasonable time to wait ?
    Thinking 6 to 8 weeks

Anybody experienced sellers taking long to move ?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,242 ✭✭✭brisan

Canyon86 wrote: »
    I am a sale agreed with 5 weeks and have all my affairs in order with the finance side of things

However the final contract states that the sellers need to agree a closing date with me and to find a property to live in themselves first before they sell to me they are looking at moving back to the UK

What would be a reasonable time to wait ?
    Thinking 6 to 8 weeks

Anybody experienced sellers taking long to move ?

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2058107938

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 275 ✭✭sweet_trip

Is daft basically the only place you should check?

Would I be wasting my time going to actual auctioneer storefronts and their individual websites or is daft basically what they all use these days?

Advertisement