Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eir urban FTTH

Options

Comments

• Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 28,792 Mod ✭✭✭✭oscarBravo

lotas wrote: »
    Just checked and my EirCode shows that 1Gb/s will be available soon... I had an order in with Eir Business since March, and it was canceled last month (they said it was not going to be availabe, full stop...) but your site is showing "Available soon"... Do you know something I dont?

I think the question is: does Martin know something eir don't? And the answer is: probably.

• Registered Users Posts: 926 ✭✭✭lotas

oscarBravo wrote: »
    I think the question is: does Martin know something eir don't? And the answer is: probably.

Well, given Eir (business) and (Open)Eir and KN Networks didnt talk to each other and screwed up the install, and ended up canceling the whole order... my guess is no one knows...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,126 ✭✭✭shanec1928

Well, given Eir (business) and (Open)Eir and KN Networks didnt talk to each other and screwed up the install, and ended up canceling the whole order... my guess is no one knows...
    eir business are a joke.. I’ve never had an account manager ask me to send on the contract as they couldn’t “find” it. You may have dodged a bullet!

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,731 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

I used to be with Eir Business back in the early 2000's and it was a disaster. My ADSL got upgraded to 3 megs and I presumed my plan was the same as the residential ones in terms of speeds. When Eir upgraded everyone to 5 and then 7, I was still stuck on 3 and when I enquired they said I was on an old legacy business plan and that in order to get higher speeds I'd have to revert to a residential plan, so I did. It was an absolute mess.

• Company Representative Posts: 668 ✭✭✭Airwire: MartinL

Just checked and my EirCode shows that 1Gb/s will be available soon... I had an order in with Eir Business since March, and it was canceled last month (they said it was not going to be availabe, full stop...) but your site is showing "Available soon"... Do you know something I dont?

Available soon means, that the Eircode now has been indexed for FTTH by OpenEIR. Typically it will become available in 1-3 months, sometimes 6 months.

There have been exceptions, where they backtracked, but the majority of these premises will be fibre enabled soon.

And hey .. we work of the same data as any other operator, we just dig a bit deeper than most.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 982 ✭✭✭Stephen Strange

And hey .. we work of the same data as any other operator, we just dig a bit deeper than most.

I can attest to this. I had ftth install issues recently, sorted within 24 hours. Having previously worked for a different ISP, with a different provider it could have gone on for weeks/months

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 14,072 Mod ✭✭✭✭monument

FYI for anybody still tracking such, ftth being installed in Ballina — on the Killala Road cables are going in the ducting placed ages ago and polls being replaced.

On a personal note: My luck with internet connectivity has massively improved since last posting on boards about it, but still fingers crossed that they actually include my edge-of-town estate in the rollout.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,111 ✭✭✭John mac

monument wrote: »
    FYI for anybody still tracking such, ftth being installed in Ballina — on the Killala Road cables are going in the ducting placed ages ago and polls being replaced.
    yea saw they were on it on Sunday too .

• Company Representative Posts: 668 ✭✭✭Airwire: MartinL

We have updated the database for OpenEIR FTTC/FTTH today.

It can be found at https://www.airwire.ie/avail

• Closed Accounts Posts: 85 ✭✭vqr2a0kg3lywos

BArra wrote: »
    took a snap while they had one manhole open

blueish tinge duct cable
    black/yellow duct cable

Looks like you're tracking the install as much as me.

THere was an OpenEir engineer out looking at phone lines the other day, I checked in the manhole and we also had those black/yellow cables in there.

Today KN were back out with lots of orange tubing/wiring - not sure what that's for? They also had a big coil of blue wire as well.

So I guess this is still ducting / blowing in and we still need to wait for splicing.

This is all underground, including DPs, as they don't seem to need to go on poles.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,679 Mod ✭✭✭✭Rew

Still spooled loose outside my house (since April) but they are going around the town terminating from what i have seen so good chance they will do mine in the coming weeks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 491 ✭✭YellowBucket

I’ve given up on any hope of getting beyond 50meg FTTC around here. My street in Cork City is very close to the city centre, but has been bypassed by the cable companies over the years, Siro had us on a build list then removed us again without explanation - there’s no longer any timeline for the street and I would suspect Eir might get around to it in 2030.

Seems like 5G wireless might be the only future for fast broadband around here.

Before FTTC, most of my neighbours had been moving to WISPs because the ADSL2 options were often bad due to the way the underground phone cables route. We are only 2km from one of the big Eir exchanges, but the lines were electrically rating as over 4km in terms of attenuation.

The VDSL2 is 1.1km to the cabinet.

Looks like we are a lost cause. Edge of a city centre but would get better broadband in the back of beyond.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,521 ✭✭✭joe123

I’ve given up on any hope of getting beyond 50meg FTTC around here. My street in Cork City is very close to the city centre, but has been bypassed by the cable companies over the years, Siro had us on a build list then removed us again without explanation - there’s no longer any timeline for the street and I would suspect Eir might get around to it in 2030.

Seems like 5G wireless might be the only future for fast broadband around here.

Before FTTC, most of my neighbours had been moving to WISPs because the ADSL2 options were often bad due to the way the underground phone cables route. We are only 2km from one of the big Eir exchanges, but the lines were electrically rating as over 4km in terms of attenuation.

The VDSL2 is 1.1km to the cabinet.

Looks like we are a lost cause. Edge of a city centre but would get better broadband in the back of beyond.

I would give my left hand for 50Mb speeds.

joe123 wrote: »
    I would give my left hand for 50Mb speeds.

The fact that there are those with worse speeds still doesn't mean that it's great by any international standards or that it's all that practical for heavy use.
    I mean, it's like having a access to a pair of roller skates vs a bike, they're still not comparable to a high speed train.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,487 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

The fact that there are those with worse speeds still doesn't mean that it's great by any international standards or that it's all that practical for heavy use.
    I mean, it's like having a access to a pair of roller skates vs a bike, they're still not comparable to a high speed train.

50Mb is pretty decent. That is two 4k Netflix streams at the same time or about 5 to 6 HD video streams. That would be considered pretty heavy usage, really not bad at all.

Having said that, you will most likely be upgraded to FTTH at some stage over the next few years as part of Eir's urban FTTH rollout.

I was looking at a holiday home and best speed is 24mbit and that alone prob kills it as an option. In the work from home world FTTH will add value to some property.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,126 ✭✭✭shanec1928

Rew wrote: »
    I was looking at a holiday home and best speed is 24mbit and that alone prob kills it as an option. In the work from home world FTTH will add value to some property.
    There would be near zero reasons why you couldn’t work from home on those speeds.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,731 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

Rew wrote: »

24meg would be fine for most people working from home unless there is large file uploads involved, is that ADSL or VDSL? If it's ADSL then the upload speed would be unbearably slow for uploading files as the upload wouldn't be much more than 1 meg.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,898 ✭✭✭KOR101

Gonzo wrote: »
    24meg would be fine for most people working from home unless there is large file uploads involved, is that ADSL or VDSL? If it's ADSL then the upload speed would be unbearably slow for uploading files as the upload wouldn't be much more than 1 meg.
    Struggling with 25mb upload speeds to upload work videos. Even 50mb would be too tight for comfort.

You really notice it when you have to deal with large files. I regularly have to upload commercial very high res photography and video and it takes forever.

4076223753.png

It’s adequate if you want to just do some basic web browsing and basic media consumption. For serious home office it’s pretty slow. Cloud-based file sharing and all of that is really slow.

• Advertisement

Yeah I work in tech so I know what would work out and what won't. Gonna have a look anyway and see what the mobile service is like.

I noticed fibre in some small tourist towns in Wexford few weeks back and my of relatives in fairly remote parts of west cork have FTTH now, interesting to see how rural broadband goes over the next year or two. Some places aren't going to be going back to offices anytime soon (if ever).

KOR101 wrote: »
    Struggling with 25mb upload speeds to upload work videos. Even 50mb would be too tight for comfort.

those video files must be huge and not compressed!
    sounds like 1000/100 is the plan for you!

I still reckon OpenEir and now Siro are a bit stingy on the uploads, granted most people don't need the uploads to be as fast as they are but there are people like yourself who need them to be higher than they are. Siro was giving a suitable download/upload ratio but they rolled that back to the same values more or less as OpenEir, no idea why. The advantage that Siro had over OpenEir when it comes to FTTH is no longer there.

We are unlikely to see uploads increase any time soon, possibly for years.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,898 ✭✭✭KOR101

those video files must be huge and not compressed!
    sounds like 1000/100 is the plan for you!

I still reckon OpenEir and now Siro are a bit stingy on the uploads, granted most people don't need the uploads to be as fast as they are but there are people like yourself who need them to be higher than they are. Siro was giving a suitable download/upload ratio but they rolled that back to the same values more or less as OpenEir, no idea why. The advantage that Siro had over OpenEir when it comes to FTTH is no longer there.

We are unlikely to see uploads increase any time soon, possibly for years.
    Not so huge, but lots and lots of them. And I backup the project files to Onedrive. It's more a case of wanting the work day over and then battling slow uploads and often flaky browsers.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,108 ✭✭✭user1842

OpenEir now pumping in fibre in Ballina, Rockwell estate I believe (KN still working on ducting in the town). This rollout will also cover a good few NBI houses, apparently.

user1842 wrote: »
    OpenEir now pumping in fibre in Ballina, Rockwell estate I believe (KN still working on ducting in the town). This rollout will also cover a good few NBI houses, apparently.

We have something similar happening where we are in Galway.

My only worry is any time I speak to a KN or Eir engineer on site they seem to say there's a few distribution points, but they won't service all houses.

They've been out at least 4 times in the last 2 weeks doing various work, although exactly what I'm not sure.

SURELY they wouldn't leave us in a situation where not all houses in the same estate could get it?

Hard to get proper info from Eir unfortunately.

I guess we'll find out in a few months.

KOR101 wrote: »
    Not so huge, but lots and lots of them. And I backup the project files to Onedrive. It's more a case of wanting the work day over and then battling slow uploads and often flaky browsers.

Similar for me, lots of uploading to be done which is why I've love the 100mb.

Not really worried about having 500mb or 1000mb down, it's the upload I'm most concerned about.

Similar for me, lots of uploading to be done which is why I've love the 100mb.

Not really worried about having 500mb or 1000mb down, it's the upload I'm most concerned about.

With Siro and OpenEir now offering max 100 upload on their most expensive resident plans and Virgin Media just 50, it's going to be perhaps a few years before we start seeing uploads going north of 100 without having to pay several 100 euros per month if you want uploads in excess of 100.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,108 ✭✭✭user1842

SURELY they wouldn't leave us in a situation where not all houses in the same estate could get it?

Hard to get proper info from Eir unfortunately.

God I hope that is not the case and I also could not get any info from the OpenEir guys I spoke too.

• Registered Users Posts: 740 ✭✭✭z0oT

Is there any significance in these kind of markings on the "Eircom" labelled manole covers? I noticed them today, but I'm almost certain they weren't there a number of weeks ago.

We're currently just about to move into a new build (should close next week), these manholes are just outside the new house. It's an estate on the outskirts of Limerick city that has been extended. All of the existing estate is currently setup with Eir & Siro FTTH (according to online checkers), some of the houses also have Virgin available to them.

The newly built square with 16 houses (of which we're one) currently isn't yet setup for either, we would be 10-20m away from the houses that are connected. The million dollar question is when I can expect us to be connected?

We just got 1Gbps FTTH in rural Tipperary last month (where we're living currently), and I'll be moving back to 4G while I'm waiting to be connected in Limerick which is a bit of a sickener.

523892.jpg

523893.jpg

• Advertisement

user1842 wrote: »
    God I hope that is not the case and I also could not get any info from the OpenEir guys I spoke too.

Yeah, it has me a bit worried!

One of the KN engineers said "not everyone will want it anyway".

I'm not really clued up on the work involved to get more distribution points in.

If there's already some here but not enough (they're underground), I wonder how much extra work on top of the ducting and general fibre blowing etc it would take to get more DPs.

I'm hoping it's all worry over nothing and the whole estate will be serviced at the same time.

Advertisement