Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eir urban FTTH

Options

Comments

• Company Representative Posts: 668 ✭✭✭Airwire: MartinL

We have updated the database for OpenEIR FTTC/FTTH today.

It can be found at https://www.airwire.ie/avail

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 2,965 Mod ✭✭✭✭LoGiE

Open Eir rolled out fibre in my parents street during the summer and it's now gone live. Looking to move them to a 500/50 connection.

Here's what the suppliers websites say:

Eir - Can't fine their Eircode! Using their landline number it tells me VDSL is available (It's installed already in the house)

Vodafone - says FTTH is available.
    Airwire - says only VDSL is availlable.

Which is correct? You would think this information comes from the one database.

Thanks,
    LoGiE

• Registered Users Posts: 36,166 ✭✭✭✭ED E

One database but its manually replicated once OE publish a new version. Martin from Airwire will post when they ingest it. Main ops can be a few weeks behind.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,555 ✭✭✭✭Marlow

LoGiE wrote: »
    Vodafone - says FTTH is available.

Either Vodafone have it wrong or you are covered by SIRO, but not on one of the interconnects, that Airwire covers (Airwire does not cover SIRO everywhere. Only where their backbone passes).

Where in the country are you ?

/M

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 2,965 Mod ✭✭✭✭LoGiE

Marlow wrote: »
    Either Vodafone have it wrong or you are covered by SIRO, but not on one of the interconnects, that Airwire covers (Airwire does not cover SIRO everywhere. Only where their backbone passes).

/M

In Malahide and can see the poll is a few metres from the house.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,081 ✭✭✭dam099

Marlow wrote: »

/M

I think Airwire still flag those SIRO premises as available from other providers though? (Which is to their credit as they may lose potential VDSL customers to an alternative SIRO provider).

• Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 28,792 Mod ✭✭✭✭oscarBravo

dam099 wrote: »
    I think Airwire still flag those SIRO premises as available from other providers though? (Which is to their credit as they may lose potential VDSL customers to an alternative SIRO provider).

Probably not. SIRO don't provide availability information to providers who don't have interconnects in the towns in question.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,081 ✭✭✭dam099

oscarBravo wrote: »
    Probably not. SIRO don't provide availability information to providers who don't have interconnects in the towns in question.

Maybe not universally but they have SIRO data for some areas they don't service e.g. my own Eircode returns below on their site:

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,679 Mod ✭✭✭✭Rew

My brother is in Malahide and his house cant get it but directly across the road can, in his case I think the other side is poles and his side is underground.

We don't cover Malahide on SIRO, so that's the reason it would not be listed on our checker.
    dam099 wrote: »

We do, but only premises that were added to the SIRO network before 2019. We don't have nationwide data for premises covered by SIRO after that date.

Airwire currently offers SIRO in Athlone, Castleconnell, Clarecastle, Ennis, Galway, Limerick, Oranmore, Portlaoise, Shannon, Sixmilebridge, Sligo and South Dublin. So anything outside and build after 2018 will not show up in our check.

• Advertisement

Rew wrote: »
    My brother is in Malahide and his house cant get it but directly across the road can, in his case I think the other side is poles and his side is underground.

Generally, that should not matter. But if there is a duct between the overhead and the underground that is collapsed somewhere or a stretch was build direct buried, then SIRO does not add those premises.

• Registered Users Posts: 363 ✭✭Calebmcd

Anybody know where to find an answer or estimate?

I live in Manorcunningham near Letterkenny.
    The polls all around the village have the FTTH boxes, but Manor has not been done. Same FTTC, plenty houses here to upgrade. But not sign or date in sight. Most big towns and villages in Donegal have been done. Manor was on the list 5 years ago to be done. But then all the delays nothing happened now it's a when the rest of the country is done or don't know.

My parents live in an area where no telephone lines exist. So they got 5g from Imagine and get 150mb. They now have faster speeds than me. Never thought that would happen.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,498 ✭✭✭✭banie01

My install is due today. The sky hub was delivered this morning. (Not that I'll be using it.)
    I've run CAT6 to the spot tho ONT is being installed, installed a new double socket and lifted the tile at the current Landline ingress point.

Hopefully the install will go smoothly now that the prep is done.
    Looking forward to getting back to a decent broadband experience again after a week of hotspottng misery :pac:

Install today, job done and it's a neat one. Even if I did have to lift an extra tile.
    2 piece Huawei Ont/Gpon rather than the "cradle" type.

Using the Sky Hub I get the full 500/50.
    Using my Asus ac86u I seem to be topping out at 30/30.

Vlan is set and I'm assuming that if it wasn't set i'd not have any connection?
    Any ideas on what I can tweak?

Turn Off(or on for one user) QoS and make sure all the hardware NAT toggles are on. If you have traffic stats you may need to disable these to have HW NAT support.

ED E wrote: »
    Turn Off(or on for one user) QoS and make sure all the hardware NAT toggles are on. If you have traffic stats you may need to disable these to have HW NAT support.

QoS is exactly what the issue was.
    Thanks for that, blazing fast connection restored :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,108 ✭✭✭user1842

banie01 wrote: »
    Install today, job done and it's a neat one. Even if I did have to lift an extra tile.

Any pics of the install?

user1842 wrote: »
    Any pics of the install?

Have to relay new tile and pop back on the skirting but the FTTH install itself, I'm very happy with.
    IMG-20201013-090723.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 740 ✭✭✭z0oT

What are the WAN connection settings for Sky FTTH in a 3rd party router out of interest?

(I've seen them posted for all other ISPs here but not Sky)

We have updated the database for OpenEIR FTTC/FTTH today.

It can be found at https://www.airwire.ie/avail

• Advertisement

z0oT wrote: »
    What are the WAN connection settings for Sky FTTH in a 3rd party router out of interest?

(I've seen them posted for all other ISPs here but not Sky)

It's whatever gibberish ya like @skydsl and same for password.
    banie01@skydsl
    banie01

Or whatever else you might fancy.

• Registered Users Posts: 787 ✭✭✭babi-hrse

That's the ifn router apparently it's capable of 10gbps where the other is purported to be 2gbps. If it's true it'll start a new rural/urban divide in 10 years. What way do the power cables run for that socket below?

It's whatever gibberish ya like @skydsl and same for password.
    banie01@skydsl
    banie01

Or whatever else you might fancy.

I thought there was no username and password requirement for FTTH.

You just made sure the routers WLAN setting was enabled with VLAN10 :confused:

babi-hrse wrote: »
    That's the ifn router apparently it's capable of 10gbps where the other is purported to be 2gbps. If it's true it'll start a new rural/urban divide in 10 years. What way do the power cables run for that socket below?

Interesting!

The power cable is coming in from the left and up through the board into the back of the socket.
    There's a little loop of cable lying at the bottom that looks scrappy.
    The other white cable to the IFN is a LAN that I will run through the wall later today.
    I had a lovely flat black LAN run in the wall and up behind the electrical socket, but idiot that I am...
    I never tested the cable before installing it and it was dodgy :(

The only scrappy parts of work visible, are completely my own but will be tidied up today.

• Registered Users Posts: 740 ✭✭✭z0oT

I thought there was no username and password requirement for FTTH.

You just made sure the routers WLAN setting was enabled with VLAN10 :confused:
    I can only speak for Eir & Digiweb myself.

For Eir, the settings are DHCP & VLAN 10 on the WAN port. Hence, no username & password required.

For Digiweb, it's PPPoE & VLAN 10 which does require a username & password.

I think for most of the ISPs on FTTH/Siro, it's PPPoE rather than DHCP that they use. Eir, as far as I'm aware is the only exception. VLAN 10 is required for everyone.

For Eir, the settings are DHCP & VLAN 10 on the WAN port. Hence, no username & password required.

I think for most of the ISPs on FTTH/Siro, it's PPPoE rather than DHCP that they use. Eir, as far as I'm aware is the only exception. VLAN 10 is required for everyone.

As far as Ive seen you're correct.

Eir use local aggs and IPoE, everyone else has a traditional RAS in their POPs and uses PPPoE to dial it. Eir customers can also use PPPoE but this will prevent Eir TV from working.

Anybody know what Westnet does or is DHCP or PPPoE(username/password) based on Open Eir or Siro, as noted?

• Company Representative Posts: 195 Verified rep Westnet: Paul

Anybody know what Westnet does or is DHCP or PPPoE(username/password) based on Open Eir or Siro, as noted?

I do :)

It's PPPoE on VLAN 10 on open eir 300k, open eir IFN and SIRO. All the wholesale networks offer the option of either DHCP or PPPoE to operators, and all of them require VLAN 10.

I do :)

It's PPPoE on VLAN 10 on open eir 300k, open eir IFN and SIRO. All the wholesale networks offer the option of either DHCP or PPPoE to operators, and all of them require VLAN 10.

Excellent, thank you and I assume you will supply the username and password. My parents will go with Westnet once Ballina goes live with open eir IFN (seems to be taking forever as all the fibre has been laid for around two months now).

I have already their house setup with a Fritzbox 7590 and Fritzbox 3000 repeater and I just want to know exactly what to tell my Dad to change on the Fritzbox 7590 as I probably will not be their due to Covid19.

• Advertisement
  • Company Representative Posts: 195 Verified rep Westnet: Paul

Excellent, thank you and I assume you will supply the username and password. My parents will go with Westnet once Ballina goes live with open eir IFN (seems to be taking forever as all the fibre has been laid for around two months now).

I have already their house setup with a Fritzbox 7590 and Fritzbox 3000 repeater and I just want to know exactly what to tell my Dad to change on the Fritzbox 7590 as I probably will not be their due to Covid19.

Thanks! Yes, we'll supply the relevant credentials.

The Ballina FTTH build seems to still be in progress. Current indications are that it will be ready for order around January, but I'll update here if it happens sooner.

Advertisement