Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ikea

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,220 ✭✭✭✭Lex Luthor

I was able to order practically everything I wanted from my list except 1 item. Most of the items I ordered were not available in the store which was another deciding factor to order as I could be over & back a few times for the rest of the summer trying to pick them up

Now all I need is for someone I know to go and pick up the item I need

Strange thing is the item I need is showing available in store but not available for delivery

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tree

They won't post certain items which is frustrating. All I want is the wood stain, but they won't ship it. They also won't ship fabric (cut to order) and some other small bits and pieces.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,375 ✭✭✭5500

Guys does the ikea carrickmines order items in for collection for you without the delivery charge? I need a few bits that are only available for delivery but they are charging €50, can I go and pay/order in carrickmines and then collect from there for free?

5500 wrote: »
    Guys does the ikea carrickmines order items in for collection for you without the delivery charge? I need a few bits that are only available for delivery but they are charging €50, can I go and pay/order in carrickmines and then collect from there for free?

afaik there is a charge aswell to carrickmines

• Registered Users Posts: 617 ✭✭✭LenWoods

Lex Luthor wrote: »
    afaik there is a charge aswell to carrickmines

+1
    The fee to get items to carrickmines is more than two toll payments and fuel cost,
    I don't think IKEA are utilizing the benefits of that additional store perhaps its main purpose is to divide profits for tax purposes because its definitely not benefitting customers as much as it could,

Would be nice if you could order online then travel to carrickmines to collect; but last I heard; one needs to first physically be present inside the carrickmines store to place the order; then return again to collect that order the following day or so on.
    Not atall of any use for someone travelling up from Waterford or anywhere outside of carrickmines really.

• Advertisement

LenWoods wrote: »
    +1
    The fee to get items to carrickmines is more than two toll payments and fuel cost,
    I don't think IKEA are utilizing the benefits of that additional store perhaps its main purpose is to divide profits for tax purposes because its definitely not benefitting customers as much as it could,

Would be nice if you could order online then travel to carrickmines to collect; but last I heard; one needs to first physically be present inside the carrickmines store to place the order; then return again to collect that order the following day or so on.
    Not atall of any use for someone travelling up from Waterford or anywhere outside of carrickmines really.

It might cost more than the fuel and tolls but when you factor in your time, it’s probably worth it if you live Southside and near Carrickmines

But I thought you could order online and collect
    I’ve never used them as I’m not near it

How much do they charge to carrickmines? Cant seem to find any prices online. There's no option to order to the store either, as len said I think you have to go and pay instore, then go back to collect.

The items I'm after aren't instock in ballymun but are available for delivery, the €50 delivery charge is just a bit hairy as its nothing huge

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tree

For items that are smaller, they use an post for a flat fee of seven(?) quid. I got an omar shelf delivered and loads of cushions to Limerick before, and they're w/i the an post limits so it's cheap

• Registered Users Posts: 10,619 ✭✭✭✭okidoki987

As far as I can remember it wasn't a massive amount for delivery to store (can't remember the exact amount) but that was before Covid.
    Previously you could order in the store, pay for it and then get a text to say when the goods had arrived and go up and collect it, saved the hassle of going to the Northside :rolleyes: if you lived Southside.
    The queues for Carrickmines haven't been massive when I've been around there in last few weeks but obviously a completely different store to Ballymun.

• Registered Users Posts: 271 ✭✭Feets

Carrickmines said they stopped getting wardrobes delivered there, so they charge you for delivery of wardrobes anyway. About fifty quid.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 170 ✭✭coughdrops

I looked at ordering stuff for delivery about 2 months ago, when the shop was closed. It was a pain because the smaller items (that should come out via the post) weren't available for delivery at all. The bigger items were giving a delivery date weeks and weeks later - which is understandable due to Covid - but I asked could I place the order of items I knew I wanted to secure the date and then add to my order if new stock came in later, and that couldn't be done either.

I could only see the delivery options (dates/costs) when I'd put everything in my basket and entered my eircode.

It felt a bit pointless as I was going to have to go to the store to get the smaller bits anyway, so I decided to wait until they were open again and do it all in one go. Although I'll still have to wait a good bit for delivery of the furniture I want, as far as I can make out.

It is a clunky system, not very user friendly (not a Covid issue, generally)

• Registered Users Posts: 19,615 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

Have Ikea reopened the restaurant yet? Or said when it will reopen. Need a couple of items but I want my meatballs too :o

Muahahaha wrote: »
    Have Ikea reopened the restaurant yet? Or said when it will reopen. Need a couple of items but I want my meatballs too :o

The bistro is open but not the main restaurant.
    I have no idea what the bistro sells though!

I've started buying frozen Daim cakes to take home, so not missing the restaurant yet :D

Just to update for anyone else thinking of carrickmines collection, its €15 for an order delivered to there regardless of size, BUT the item needs to show as instock in Dublin online ie be in Ballymun.

Some stuff I needed was out of stock in Dublin, but showing instock online, but apparently the online orders come from the UK, and carrickmines can't order these in for you, hence they attract the dearer delivery of €50 online if your order is over a certain size, so just be aware of the above if your ever thinking of using the collection point

I was up in Antrim on business yesterday and stayed overnight at a hotel 15min from Belfast.
    Dropped over to Ikea Belfast this morning arrived about 9:40, the queue at that point was not too bad, there were about 12 people/couples in front of me. By the time they opened the doors at 10, the queue went back another 40/50 people/couples

I was only in there about 30min and by time I got out the queue was small, probably about 20/30 but a lot smaller and moving quick

They also had a lot of stock. I was looking for an Alex cupboard and no chance in Dublin online and in store. They had 12 in stock and they also had > 20 shelves of a type I wanted and none in Dublin

I'd say if you fancied a night away it would be worth a trip

ps I stayed at the Hilton Templepatrick. Lovely setting and rooms reasonable and plenty availability. They are very stringent with their covid cleanliness aswell

• Registered Users Posts: 5,093 ✭✭✭mathie

Do you have to queue up to return items?

mathie wrote: »
    Do you have to queue up to return items?

Not in the long queue for the store.

You tell the staff member at the main queue. They send you to the door, and the staff member there gets you to wait separately until it is your turn. Seems pretty quick, only been a few people waiting the last couple of times I was up.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,049 ✭✭✭✭Purple Mountain

Guys, does anyone know if IKEA is contactable by email?
    I want to buy drawers on their website but it doesn't state the drawer depth.

To thine own self be true

Took me 2.5 hours to get through to them on webchat.

There's loads of stuff they don't *currently* have in their delivery hubs so they make you take that out of your basket.
    When you finally *do* order what is available, you're looking at a minimum four week lead time.
    IF they cancel so much as a screw on me, I will be livid.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,049 ✭✭✭✭Purple Mountain

Tree wrote: »
    Took me 2.5 hours to get through to them on webchat.

There's loads of stuff they don't *currently* have in their delivery hubs so they make you take that out of your basket.
    When you finally *do* order what is available, you're looking at a minimum four week lead time.
    IF they cancel so much as a screw on me, I will be livid.

Oh god. Maybe a spin to the big smoke is required so!

To thine own self be true

• Advertisement

Got my order delivered this week
    Very efficient

Well worth the €50 delivery fee

Everything arrived

We were about 4-5hrs putting it altogether between 3 of us

• Registered Users Posts: 14,794 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

ordered some stuff yesterday for delivery week after next. Quite a few things we wanted weren't available for delivery though, some of which are in stock in Ballymun.

We have just moved house, so have had a lot of IKEA trips in the last few weeks.

If you can get to Carrickmines and order through them, delivery can be as early as next day (not sure how far from Dublin though). We've done this twice for big lists of bulky stuff. It depends on what is available here though, rather than coming from UK - we have half a sofa for about 3 weeks now, waiting on other half from UK this weekend.

I still find ordering through the website a pain, so would rather go to Ballymun with my list or to Carrickmines to get the bigger stuff ordered. From what I can figure out, ordering online myself doesn't have an option for such quick delivery.

The deliveries we've received have been spot on, on time and very pleasant drivers to deal with.

• Registered Users Posts: 370 ✭✭nihicib2

If something isn't available in store or online, is there any point in going to Carrickmines to try and order it or even get some info on it? We're finally getting our extension moving after a five month slow down so we don't need the items just yet but at least we could (if possible ) order them. We'd be travelling from Donegal so don't want to make a wasted trip if we cant order items not in stock or online.

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 4,597 ✭✭✭dan1895

Carrickmines order from the main store so if it's not in stock there they would normally order it from the warehouse that supplies online orders. If it's unavailable there however there is no other options but to hang on and keep checking availability on the website.

• Registered Users Posts: 370 ✭✭nihicib2

dan1895 wrote: »
    Carrickmines order from the main store so if it's not in stock there they would normally order it from the warehouse that supplies online orders. If it's unavailable there however there is no other options but to hang on and keep checking availability on the website.

Thanks for that, might not bother then as the items we need are not in stock online or instore, same for Belfast, hopefully they'll be back in stock soon again ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 10,619 ✭✭✭✭okidoki987

OH drove into Ikea Ballymun car park yesterday, saw the length of the queue to get into the store and drove straight out again, queue was in the region of an hour and a half to get into the store. :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 19,615 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

It just doesnt seemed to have died down at all really has it. Seems you might be lucky and get inside within about 30 minutes but other times it could be double that.

It just doesnt seemed to have died down at all really has it. Seems you might be lucky and get inside within about 30 minutes but other times it could be double that.

thats a great nickname you have there

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,394 ✭✭✭✭road_high

No I queued for 45 mins. Not sure I’ll be rushing back. It’s actually grand inside, easier get around actually thanks to reduced numbers. They could do with another store or two in Ireland.

Advertisement