Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ikea

Options
  • 23-06-2020 2:17pm
    Registered Users Posts: 11,220 ✭✭✭✭

anyone been to ikea in the last week?

thinking of planning a trip out there this week to pick up a few things but heard there are long lines etc

Its not a place where I would think its easy to keep social distancing of 2m

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,699 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tabnabs

Very long line outside, minimum 45 mins. Very quiet inside. A few idiots still going against the flow of traffic, but otherwise it's calm and relaxed. The only busy point is the checkouts. Lots of staff on hand to make sure people are adhering to social distancing, as much as possible. Only one person/family group in a display at a time, too.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,220 ✭✭✭✭Lex Luthor

just back, arrived for 10:00, line of about 1hr 10min, then it was ok inside but in fairness busy enough

checkout was quick, straight to the front and checked out

Shelves empty though, I went with a list and got about 20% of what I wanted

I checked the screens when I got in to see what they had and where to get and a lot was low in stock, but by time I got to the aisles, they were gone

Looks like I'll be working on the ironing board for another month or so

• Registered Users Posts: 86 ✭✭mac_09

Went to Ikea last week in the evening time and was very impressed. Whilst I was queuing for 45-50minutes inside the flow was quick, checkouts were well controlled with little to no queue and I actually think overall I probably spent the same amount of time as normal there!

Some stock levels were low but I got everything I wanted, including Dime bars!

Sanitisers throughout the store (although they smelled about 99% proof!!)

mac_09 wrote: »
    Went to Ikea last week in the evening time and was very impressed. Whilst I was queuing for 45-50minutes inside the flow was quick, checkouts were well controlled with little to no queue and I actually think overall I probably spent the same amount of time as normal there!

Some stock levels were low but I got everything I wanted, including Dime bars!

Sanitisers throughout the store (although they smelled about 99% proof!!)

ya agree, its organised apart from low or no stock particularly for office/home furniture in the storage dept

the sanitizers were strong alright

• Registered Users Posts: 37 zeebests

Same as most places trying to get new stock in

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 474 ✭✭CarPark2

Was there on Sunday evening. Very long queue outside. Inside it was fine. It didn't feel particularly busy. Stock levels of what i needed were a little low, but i got everything i needed.
    I think that you can check the stock online before you go. Given the length of the queue, it would be very frustrating to get through the queue and find that the thing you needed wasn't there.

I had checked online before going and most of what I was looking for was showing either available or low
    When I got there I typed in on the screens and got the locations but when I got to the end it was just empty shelves

• Registered Users Posts: 474 ✭✭CarPark2

Lex Luthor wrote: »
    I had checked online before going and most of what I was looking for was showing either available or low
    When I got there I typed in on the screens and got the locations but when I got to the end it was just empty shelves

That would be very frustrating. I guess the lesson at the moment is that if it appears as "low" on the website, there is a strong chance there will be none there.

Like i said, i was there on Sunday evening and i got everything that i was looking for and overall there seemed to be a reasonable level of stock, albeit less than is usually there.

CarPark2 wrote: »
    That would be very frustrating. I guess the lesson at the moment is that if it appears as "low" on the website, there is a strong chance there will be none there.

Like i said, i was there on Sunday evening and i got everything that i was looking for and overall there seemed to be a reasonable level of stock, albeit less than is usually there.

ya I'm going to give it 4-6 weeks before going back and hopefully get the rest of the stuff I need

I've borrowed my sons desk he uses for studying for the summer months so no mad rush

• Registered Users Posts: 10,072 ✭✭✭✭Caranica

Queue was 2 hours when I was there Monday. Inside was the most civilised I'd ever seen it. So much stuff out of stock though. It will be mental again next week when travel restrictions ease so I'd definitely give it a few weeks.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭Liberal_irony

Any idea if its still mental? I was planning on heading up this week

Any idea if its still mental? I was planning on heading up this week

if I was guessing, I'd say its worse since we are now in the next phase and the travel limit is now lifted to national

• Registered Users Posts: 4,759 ✭✭✭cython

if I was guessing, I'd say its worse since we are now in the next phase and the travel limit is now lifted to national

The flip side of that is that there will be a whole other category of people who previously had nothing better to do during the day that are now back to work, so it may not be that bad in the middle of weekdays, but I'm sure will be as bad as ever in the evenings or at weekends.

Rightly or wrongly, the travel limit was being widely flouted in the last few weeks anyway (as well as being unpoliced and unenforceable due to the Garda powers lapsing). As such, I'd be very surprised if all the people queuing for IKEA were from County Dublin or within 20km of the store, so the formality of it being lifted may not be as significant as one might think.

from what I could see from the queue it was mostly mothers with children, young people, teenagers and over 60's. Not a lot of middle aged so guessing people with just time on their hands and couldnt wait for the place to open

I still get lost in there but some people seem to be seasoned pros and whizz around the place

• Registered Users Posts: 373 ✭✭kaerobe

Does anyone know how the vulnerable hours are working?

I'm frontline HSE staff and had to move house due to Covid (lived with a pregnant person). Ive been putting off getting some essentials for the new place. Wonder is there healthcare priority?

kaerobe wrote: »
    Does anyone know how the vulnerable hours are working?

I'm frontline HSE staff and had to move house due to Covid (lived with a pregnant person). Ive been putting off getting some essentials for the new place. Wonder is there healthcare priority?

thanks for your services

you could try, maybe call them in advance

while we were queing the last day there was a few people on occasions walked right in and top of the line no need to queue, maybe they were priority

they seem to walk to the top and showed something on their phone

• Registered Users Posts: 2,236 ✭✭✭javagal

has anyone had to return anything? How does it work with queuing when your bringing back a box of furniture

• Registered Users Posts: 170 ✭✭coughdrops

We were up there the other evening, arrived at 6.15 got in at 7. Really well organised inside, nice flow of people and no crowded areas.

I think with returns you speak to the staff member at the door - there seemed to be a few people waiting with items just inside the door, away from the customer queue - it looked like they were bringing stuff back and being processed one-by-one.

There were still people queuing to get in as we left around 8.15 which seemed kind of pointless as they were going to be closed at 9 - although I suppose a lot of people nip in just to get the stuff they want rather than wandering around like we do!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,724 ✭✭✭horse7

Still queuing

• Registered Users Posts: 924 ✭✭✭whosedaddy?

Took the plunge this afternoon and was in after 55min queueing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,622 ✭✭✭✭okidoki987

Took the plunge this afternoon and was in after 55min queueing.

Would expect longer queues at weekends.
    Midweek mid morning, 2-3pm and an hour before closing seems to be best times for shorter queues but really depends on how long you would need in there.

okidoki987 wrote: »
    Would expect longer queues at weekends.
    Midweek mid morning, 2-3pm and an hour before closing seems to be best times for shorter queues but really depends on how long you would need in there.

Agreed. Had some time and thought let's see how far I get in 15/30min and ended up staying in the queue. The staff was commenting that it was quiet compared to during the week. They thought the good weather got ppl to do other stuff...

Someone I know was saying they need to return something so they have to go to the warehouse entrance

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Someone I know was saying they need to return something so they have to go to the warehouse entrance
    If you're returning something, you can go straight to the "exit" lifts, as that's where the returns area is. You don't have to wait in the queue.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,967 ✭✭✭✭Dempo1

I bit the bullet and decided to register an account to facilitate online and delivery, Mother of God their delivery prices are outrageous, €55 for an item costing €99, WTF, I'm in a county bordering Dublin, not timbuktu. The €55 wasn't even for express delivery and 2 week delivery time, what is the point I wondered

Is maith an scáthán súil charad.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Delivery is really for when you're getting so much stuff or the item is so big that you can't carry it yourself. Their business model is based on self-service, so when you ask for delivery, you're basically paying the cost of having someone go to Ikea, find your item and drive it back to you.

A surprising amount of their profit is in people wandering around the shop and picking out things they didn't go to Ikea for. In offering delivery, they lose that extra business. So they don't really want to encourage it for small purchases.

I placed an order over the weekend for delivery, it made sense to me

I had a big list and when I factored in the cost of diesel & tolls, that would have come in at around €20. To be standing in a queue then for 2hrs plus in the shop for another 1.5hrs I weighed it up and thought all that time and cost was well worth the €49

Time is money

seamus wrote: »
    If you're returning something, you can go straight to the "exit" lifts, as that's where the returns area is. You don't have to wait in the queue.

And once returned, can you go in for further shopping or need to go back out and join the queue?
    I need to return some bits and need other stuff instead.

• Registered Users Posts: 530 ✭✭✭zac8

And once returned, can you go in for further shopping or need to go back out and join the queue?
    I need to return some bits and need other stuff instead.

There’s a separate queue for returns at the main entrance. You’re not supposed to use the lifts to go up as they have a sign saying exit only. When you get in they ask if you want to go into the shop when you’re finished at the returns desk.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭CBCB

went on Friday evening around 8. qued for 25 mins. They didn't have alot of what I wanted but managed to get a few things and then ordered the rest for delivery. The market hall got quite busy near to closing, I guess with everyone in a dash to get out. Overall not my worst Ikea experience, more pleasant than Ikea would usually be on a Saturday or Sunday.

Advertisement