Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

General Election and Government Formation Megathread (see post #1)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,904 ✭✭✭mgn

namloc1980 wrote: »
    Failed to get elected twice. Why does she get so much airtime?

Because the likes of the fluffy greens can do no wrong in the eyes of the Irish media.

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 21,504 Mod ✭✭✭✭Agent Smith

Itssoeasy wrote: »

The older Green Party members seem to have a more broad outlook and aren't as rigid. The new wing lead by the likes of saoirse mchugh who seemed to get notoriety above what her position warranted, as she wasn't elected twice seem rigid and it wouldn't surprise me if she herself was against this deal.

I *genuinely* do not understand the obsession with Saoirse McHugh. She's a multiple Failed candidate who's views seems to be wildly out of step with the party she's a member of.

you might as well ask any party member

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 69,551 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Failed to get elected twice. Why does she get so much airtime?

Three times! Europe, Dail, Seanad.

Would have been interesting to see if she would have got a locals seat in Mayo - Cuffe ran for both as he couldn't be sure of the European seat; got both.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,904 ✭✭✭mgn

L1011 wrote: »
    Three times! Europe, Dail, Seanad.

Would have been interesting to see if she would have got a locals seat in Mayo - Cuffe ran for both as he couldn't be sure of the European seat; got both.

When it comes to the Greens, Cuff is the full cabbage where McHugh is only a leaf.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,281 ✭✭✭CrankyHaus

I *genuinely* do not understand the obsession with Saoirse McHugh. She's a multiple Failed candidate who's views seems to be wildly out of step with the party she's a member of.

She's clearly got a knack for self-promotion. She probably has her eye on being party leader one day and sees opposition to the deal as a good platform for raising her profile. All this isn't a million miles from how Leo made the long ascent to Taoiseach. Her gender may also be a benefit, since they only have 2 female TDs out of 12.

This extract from the Irish Examiner today is revealing:

The issue of climate action, she said, was no longer just about emission reductions but about climate justice. There cannot be just social action or climate action, it has to be both, and it will have to be “the way we live our lives.”

I understand that as McHugh watering down Green Party climate proposals to make them more palatable to her rural constituency.

The party leadership might be happy to tell her to swing her hook over this though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,399 ✭✭✭✭ThunbergsAreGo

CrankyHaus wrote: »
    She's clearly got a knack for self-promotion. She probably has her eye on being party leader one day and sees opposition to the deal as a good platform for raising her profile. All this isn't a million miles from how Leo made the long ascent to Taoiseach. Her gender may also be a benefit, since they only have 2 female TDs out of 12.

The issue of climate action, she said, was no longer just about emission reductions but about climate justice. There cannot be just social action or climate action, it has to be both, and it will have to be “the way we live our lives.”

I understand that as McHugh watering down Green Party climate proposals to make them more palatable to her rural constituency.

The party leadership might be happy to tell her to swing her hook over this though.

Dont you need to be elected to something to be in opposition?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,329 ✭✭✭✭namloc1980

CrankyHaus wrote: »

As long as she stands in Mayo she has little chance of getting elected. Not a very stable platform if she had leadership ambitions.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,647 ✭✭✭beggars_bush

Martin is going to be a very unpopular Taoiseach. I'm not sure there's anything he could do to change that.

Jaysus, give the lad a chance

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,016 ✭✭✭Shelga

Jaysus, give the lad a chance

He had a chance, when he was Minister for Enterprise, Trade and Employment, from 2004-2008. Spoiler alert: he blew it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,224 ✭✭✭Hodors Appletart

McHugh needs to run in an urban seat to get elected you'd imagine

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 196 ✭✭Mossie1975

Saw a clip of John McGuinness on the midday news and couldn't get over how much he has changed in appearance since I last saw him on the TV.

McHugh needs to run in an urban seat to get elected you'd imagine

Its bad that in a thread where I mentioned McHugh (S) myself a few posts ago; she's so anonymous/irrelevant 90% of the time my initial thought was "but he did get elected, in Donegal :confused: (McHugh, J; that is)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,351 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

I don't get the fascination either but for some reason she's the person who's name came to mind.

Hopefully the Green Party members listen to the person they had on drivetime there taking about idealism and pragmatism.

Jesus this lad on now from Young Green Party is everything that will sink the party and this programme for government.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,441 ✭✭✭Rosahane

Itssoeasy wrote: »
    Hopefully the Green Party members listen to the person they had on drivetime there taking about idealism and pragmatism.

That was the White woman, the former TD from Carlow. basically she said that unless you're in Gov you can do nothing, so better to be in Gov with all the possible outcomes than be in an ineffectual opposition.

What she said made me think that the Social Democrats who have thrown away their chance!

Rosahane wrote: »
    What she said made me think that the Social Democrats who have thrown away their chance!

Without SF transfers, the Soc Dems will be back to Roisin'n'Catherine next time. And I'm convinced Catherine is intending to retire because the Leixlip Cllr is getting her face out in other parts of the constituency she doesn't represent currently.

And SF will run sufficient candidates that there won't be any transfers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,363 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

Watching Ossian Smyth on Prime Time there now makes me wonder if the rest of their parliamentary party are as naive as he is.

Yet again to refer back to the late Seamus Brennan, they're playing senior hurling now (and haven't a clue how much their agenda is going to get fudged and kicked down the road. 4.5 years will come around all too quickly.

• Registered Users Posts: 793 ✭✭✭tatoo

Rosahane wrote: »
    That was the White woman, the former TD from Carlow. basically she said that unless you're in Gov you can do nothing, so better to be in Gov with all the possible outcomes than be in an ineffectual opposition.

Definitely, they have the streetwiseness needed to put their stamp on a government, and also their two joint leaders have the nous to make sure its implemented.
    Some of them, like Gary Gannon , had no interest in governing from the get-go, I get the feeling he is more suited to protesting rather than actually getting things done.
    It is going to be very difficult for them to out shout Sinn Féin on the opposition benches.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,555 ✭✭✭Downlinz

L1011 wrote: »
    Without SF transfers, the Soc Dems will be back to Roisin'n'Catherine next time. And I'm convinced Catherine is intending to retire because the Leixlip Cllr is getting her face out in other parts of the constituency she doesn't represent currently.

And SF will run sufficient candidates that there won't be any transfers.

Holly Cairns was elected ahead of the SF representative in Cork South-West and Jennifer Whitmore was 3rd on the first count in a 5-seater in Wicklow. No help from SF transfers required.

People really overstate the SF transfers for most left wing parties, it was only PBP-SOL who benefited hugely from them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,486 ✭✭✭Brussels Sprout

Downlinz wrote: »
    People really overstate the SF transfers for most left wing parties, it was only PBP-SOL who benefited hugely from them.

PBP-SOL were definitely the big beneficiaries since they may have only got RBB elected had SF ran more candidates.

I think the Greens probably got 3 extra seats as well - which was 25% of their total. SF didn't transfer to them much but they would have transferred to them indirectly (usually via an unsuccessful PBP-SOL candidate). You can see this pattern with:
    • Malcom Noonan - Carlow-Kilkenny
    • Mairc O Cathasaigh - Waterford
    • Steven Mathews - Wicklow (more difficult to tell with his vote)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,801 ✭✭✭Roanmore

It was on the RTE news on one that there has been a surge in Green Party membership in the North prior to the closing of membership before the vote.
    They seemed to suggest that this will lead to a rejection of the deal.

Are we looking at a new election?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,505 ✭✭✭maynooth_rules

What do those Green members who reject the PFG expect to happen afterwards exactly. Start flirting with SF who financed their manifesto on the back of a fag packet and who oppose all form of carbon taxes? Go back to the people where they can be assured of getting decimated as the FG,FF and SF transfers will all dry up (and most of their seats won were last seast in constituency). The worst day in government is better than the best day in opposition.

• Registered Users Posts: 86 ✭✭PixieValentine

Roanmore wrote: »
    It was on the RTE news on one that there has been a surge in Green Party membership in the North prior to the closing of membership before the vote.
    They seemed to suggest that this will lead to a rejection of the deal.

Are we looking at a new election?

I think I read Green members can only vote- or maybe it is that your vote only counts- if you’ve been a member for six months. So anyone joining up last minute can’t influence the outcome either way.

At least, that’s my understanding of if. Sorry if I’ve got that wrong.

• Administrators Posts: 54,091 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

If the Greens scupper this government formation on idealistic grounds they'll pay the price at the next election.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,435 ✭✭✭Imreoir2

I think I read Green members can only vote- or maybe it is that your vote only counts- if you’ve been a member for six months. So anyone joining up last minute can’t influence the outcome either way.

Yes, Green Party has a six month probation. Only members who have been with the party for more than six months will be able to vote.

Most parties have some anti carpetbagger period; and those that didn't and still don't in the face of what happened with Corbyn are more than a bit nuts.

What do those Green members who reject the PFG expect to happen afterwards exactly. Start flirting with SF who financed their manifesto on the back of a fag packet and who oppose all form of carbon taxes? Go back to the people where they can be assured of getting decimated as the FG,FF and SF transfers will all dry up (and most of their seats won were last seast in constituency). The worst day in government is better than the best day in opposition.

Maybe FF ditch Martin, enter negotiations with SF and Greens?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,449 ✭✭✭Ivefoundgod

No you are correct. I know a probationary member and they can attend the convention but can't vote. I think there is larger than people think number of the 3kish members who can't actually vote. The perception is these are the more militant younger members so that may make it more likely that it passes.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 69,974 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

No you are correct. I know a probationary member and they can attend the convention but can't vote. I think there is larger than people think number of the 3kish members who can't actually vote. The perception is these are the more militant younger members so that may make it more likely that it passes.

2600 members have registered to vote.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,449 ✭✭✭Ivefoundgod

2600 members have registered to vote.

Mind sharing a source?

Edit: Never mind, found it https://www.rte.ie/news/2020/0617/1147994-green-party/

Key wording in the article however "Officials now have to check if each of the 2,627 applications came from a member with six-months standing." My friend would be included in that figure and they cannot vote.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,399 ✭✭✭✭ThunbergsAreGo

Roanmore wrote: »
    Maybe FF ditch Martin, enter negotiations with SF and Greens?

But do they think they will get a better deal? Feels like they have got a good deal out of this. More so than FG, for example

• Registered Users Posts: 2,678 ✭✭✭Bellview

In fairness sf have a very environmental Program for government.. that made up on zero paper and ink.. Mary Lou is jumping with excitement at going into opposition regardless of what the public noises are

But do they think they will get a better deal? Feels like they have got a good deal out of this. More so than FG, for example

Maybe not but they’re getting criticised hugely for putting FG and FF back in again.
    Maybe some of them can’t take the heat, the younger generation.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,636 ✭✭✭feargale

Have to laugh at all the SF fans on social media taking shots at MM and LV for scraping in on the 6th or 8th counts in the GE as if it somehow makes them illegitimate. I'm 100% certain that SF would have much preferred to get 2 candidates over the line on the 8th count in all those constituencies where they ran just 1 candidate and polled c.2 quotas.

Yes, but you must understand that SF are challenged when it comes to doing sums. 25% of the people voted for SF, 75% voted against them. Therefore "the people voted for change," a la SF of course. Like in the North their armed friends had a mandate for murder when the SDLP were pissing on them at the polls.
    FF almost got a majority of votes in 1948 and in 1973, but were outmanoeuvred by FG and others on both occasions. Did FF whinge and feel sorry for themselves? No, they took their beating like men.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,593 ✭✭✭✭hotmail.com

I think the Greens will ultimately enter government and Eamon will be deposed.

Unlike 2007 to 2011, I think they'll be more likely to leave government much earlier. So the likelihood of an early election is quite high. This may not suit FG, as by then memories of Corona could be forgotten.

feargale wrote: »
    Yes, but you must understand that SF are challenged when it comes to doing sums. 25% of the people voted for SF, 75% voted against them. .

Does that mean 78% voted 'against' FG and 76% 'against' FF?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,864 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

Yes.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,435 ✭✭✭Imreoir2

Mind sharing a source?

Edit: Never mind, found it https://www.rte.ie/news/2020/0617/1147994-green-party/

Key wording in the article however "Officials now have to check if each of the 2,627 applications came from a member with six-months standing." My friend would be included in that figure and they cannot vote.

2,627 registered for the special convention, this includes members still in their probationary period who are allowed to attend the convention but wont get a postal ballot.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,085 ✭✭✭✭BonnieSituation

Yes.

To treat any votes in a PR-STV system in this fashion is nuts. Ye should know better!

I voted FG, SF, Grn and SD and I wanted none of them in govt with FF.

You can't possibly know what people voted against. But we're very clear about WHO they voted for.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,946 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

Unlike 2007 to 2011, I think they'll be more likely to leave government much earlier. So the likelihood of an early election is quite high. This may not suit FG, as by then memories of Corona could be forgotten.
    Wouldn't the memories of the coronavirus be a bad thing for FG with how awful they were and continue to manage it?

eagle eye wrote: »
    Wouldn't the memories of the coronavirus be a bad thing for FG with how awful they were and continue to manage it?

And yet FG and Leo are enjoying Michael D levels of approval?

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/politics/irish-times-poll-varadkar-to-leave-taoiseach-s-office-with-approval-numbers-off-the-charts-1.4279770

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,946 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

And yet FG and Leo are enjoying Michael D levels of approval?
    Well since this whole covid-19 that my started I've realised that I am continually underestimating the stupidity of Irish people. If that s true then I'm still underestimating it.

eagle eye wrote: »
    Well since this whole covid-19 that my started I've realised that I am continually underestimating the stupidity of Irish people. If that s true then I'm still underestimating it.

Seemingly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,228 ✭✭✭Breezer

awec wrote: »
    If the Greens scupper this government formation on idealistic grounds they'll pay the price at the next election.

I think you’re right. I voted Green this time, not as a protest but because I believe in their climate/transport policies. If they’re not going to implement them, what’s the point in voting for them again?

Then again I’m probably a bit unusual in that I actually wanted a FG/Green coalition. If I can’t get the Green bit anyway I’ll just vote for FG next time.

The Momentum wing of the Greens probably thinks I’m the devil.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,636 ✭✭✭feargale

It does. Just by way of a basic lesson in democracy, in a multi-party system parties combine at will after an election to form coalitions. That's how it's done in Italy, the Netherlands, Finland etc etc. SF uniquely in all of Europe have a problem with that system. (Oops I almost forgot the British Tories.)
    Question: should FF have objected to this in 1948 or in 1973? Answer please. Now I've answered your question. Would you pleasne answer mine? And as a bonus, were FF remiss in not whinging in 1948?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,690 ✭✭✭✭Peregrinus

Fianna Fail did whinge in 1948, and again in 1954. And they did more than whinge - when they got back into office after the second interparty government one of their earliest moves was to try to abolish the PRSTV electoral system and replace it with FPTP.

feargale wrote: »
    It does. Just by way of a basic lesson in democracy, in a multi-party system parties combine at will after an election to form coalitions. That's how it's done in Italy, the Netherlands, Finland etc etc. SF uniquely in all of Europe have a problem with that system. (Oops I almost forgot the British Tories.)
    Question: should FF have objected to this in 1948 or in 1973? Answer please. Now I've answered your question. Would you pleasne answer mine? And as a bonus, were FF remiss in not whinging in 1948?

Who refused to negotiate with FF in 48?

Coalition is fine when it is done right. The 'we won't talk to 25% of the electorate' haughtyness of the power swap parties is not democracy and is not a proper approach to coalition, which should not be about having domininance.

Michael Martin gave the game away when he (in the opinion of the mainstream media) opened the door to SF, on the night of the election (when projections where saying around 50 seats) what his view of 'coalition' was. It is all about having 'dominance' over smaller parties...the 'mud guards'.

BTW, I still think your contention that 75% voted against SF or 78% voted 'against' FG is nonsense, you cannot extrapolate that from the results.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 27,284 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

Would it matter if FG "talked" to SF? The chances of them agreeing on a program for government are infinitesimally small.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,486 ✭✭✭Brussels Sprout

BTW, I still think your contention that 75% voted against SF or 78% voted 'against' FG is nonsense, you cannot extrapolate that from the results.

This is correct. The only way to vote against a party with STV is to not give them a preference. Looking purely at first preference votes is misleading.

A good example of this was Joan Collins. She only received 6.5% of first preference votes in Dublin South-Central this year. This placed her in 6th place in a 4-seater after the first count. Catherine Byrne & Catherine Ardagh were 2nd & 3rd with 11.7% and 11% respectively.

Joan Collins was rejected by the voters so right? Wrong. She leap-frogged those other 2 candidates and got elected on the 6th count while they were both not elected.

Analysing first preference numbers alone can tell you who was popular but they can't quite tell you who was unpopular.

• Advertisement
Advertisement