Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Drought 2020

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 790 ✭✭✭richie123

mahoney_j wrote: »
    Never too late for urea as long as there’s moisture

Agree and same with slurry.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,262 ✭✭✭✭Danzy

Maybe shake it at dusk, when there is a sue starting. Grass still gets wet, here anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,159 ✭✭✭declanflynn

Does anyone know the weight of a 150 gallon concrete water trough

• Registered Users Posts: 11,394 ✭✭✭✭Timmaay

A 300gls one weights about 1100kg anyways! Something like 600kg would be my guess.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,159 ✭✭✭declanflynn

Timmaay wrote: »
    A 300gls one weights about 1100kg anyways! Something like 600kg would be my guess.
    Thanks, a Fleming bale lifter should be able for it?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 210 ✭✭Angus2018

Bone dry here and no sign of rain for the next two weeks so we have no choice but to cut our meadows. Its started going towards stem and will lose quality rapidly now. Best bet is to hope for a better second cut now.

I had to graze a meadow I had saved for hay this year. I was planning on selling it so I don't mind but I'm already back for the second grazing now. With no rain the dung from 3 weeks ago is still there so I've no choice but to graze it again. Not that I have a choice with grass barely growing.

This is summer 2018 all over again but the potential to be a lot worse with poor silage yields and peak May grass nowhere to be seen. As if the price wasn't bad enough already the weather gives East coast farmers two fingers.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,166 ✭✭✭Still waters

Raining nicely here all day and still at it, i hope it doesn't forget to head off tonight

• Registered Users Posts: 6,225 ✭✭✭charolais0153

Angus2018 wrote: »
    Bone dry here and no sign of rain for the next two weeks so we have no choice but to cut our meadows. Its started going towards stem and will lose quality rapidly now. Best bet is to hope for a better second cut now.

I had to graze a meadow I had saved for hay this year. I was planning on selling it so I don't mind but I'm already back for the second grazing now. With no rain the dung from 3 weeks ago is still there so I've no choice but to graze it again. Not that I have a choice with grass barely growing.

This is summer 2018 all over again but the potential to be a lot worse with poor silage yields and peak May grass nowhere to be seen. As if the price wasn't bad enough already the weather gives East coast farmers two fingers.

Least ye have cattle out early in comparison, lot easier feed on solid ground than 6 inches of gutter, animals thrive better in dry weather imo

• Registered Users Posts: 1,127 ✭✭✭Tileman

Raining nicely here all day and still at it, i hope it doesn't forget to head off tonight

Where are you? No sign of rain here for next two weeks either

• Registered Users Posts: 3,864 ✭✭✭Dickie10

how much are second cut meadows going for to lease? per acre? the leasee to put out fertilizer

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,166 ✭✭✭Still waters

Tileman wrote: »
    Where are you? No sign of rain here for next two weeks either

I'm in north clare, it has turned into a heavy mist now but loads of moisture in the ground after it, I've awful heavy meadows so a dry year is suiting me, poor comfort for a lot of men tho, a few miles up from me towards ballyvaughan and they're looking at the grass turn brown

• Registered Users Posts: 671 ✭✭✭addaword

About 800kg. The kilcarrig ones are about that anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,456 ✭✭✭SouthWesterly

Had a heavy mist all night till about 9 this morning.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,394 ✭✭✭✭Timmaay

Angus2018 wrote: »

Is there any historical record as to the ground moisture deficit? It's hit earlier here this year than 2018, but I don't think by a huge amount, maybe 2wks, in 2018 I was feeding silage from early June onwards. I've reacted sooner here this year, let the afc build last few weeks, and took heifers off to reduce demand. There is also a reasonable bit of fodder left over from last winter, there was zero in 2018. 1st cuts in 2018 were desperate also. The saving grace in 2018 was the 2 inches of rain in early Aug (athlo that didn't quite take us out of the full drought here in East Wicklow, wasn't till October we escaped fully). In that sense this summer could well be worse than 2018, let's say we don't get anywhere near enough rain until Sept (and historically July and Aug have lower rainfall anyways). That will turn expensive quickly, and if the milk price stays where it is or lower, then it won't be worth feeding the cows the likes of 10kg+ bought in feed, what they do in nz in that case is cut back to oad or 16 hr milkings and take the hit in yield. However the equally likely scenario is the drought breaks properly at some stage over the summer, you get a serious bounce in growth then, basically a 2nd may in the year, even if it turns into a washout ground conditions hold up very well.

Final thing I'd say is do out your fodder budget now and if your anyway short buy in 1st cut right now before it's too late, 2nd cuts aren't worth a sh1t in years of a drought and are a pure waste of money. I've bought in a 1st cut here, and picked up some hay from last summer back in May, so I'm setup alot better than 2018 as things stand now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,633 ✭✭✭✭Buford T. Justice XIX

Timmaay wrote: »
    Is there any historical record as to the ground moisture deficit? It's hit earlier here this year than 2018, but I don't think by a huge amount, maybe 2wks, in 2018 I was feeding silage from early June onwards. I've reacted sooner here this year, let the afc build last few weeks, and took heifers off to reduce demand. There is also a reasonable bit of fodder left over from last winter, there was zero in 2018. 1st cuts in 2018 were desperate also. The saving grace in 2018 was the 2 inches of rain in early Aug (athlo that didn't quite take us out of the full drought here in East Wicklow, wasn't till October we escaped fully). In that sense this summer could well be worse than 2018, let's say we don't get anywhere near enough rain until Sept (and historically July and Aug have lower rainfall anyways). That will turn expensive quickly, and if the milk price stays where it is or lower, then it won't be worth feeding the cows the likes of 10kg+ bought in feed, what they do in nz in that case is cut back to oad or 16 hr milkings and take the hit in yield. However the equally likely scenario is the drought breaks properly at some stage over the summer, you get a serious bounce in growth then, basically a 2nd may in the year, even if it turns into a washout ground conditions hold up very well.

Final thing I'd say is do out your fodder budget now and if your anyway short buy in 1st cut right now before it's too late, 2nd cuts aren't worth a sh1t in years of a drought and are a pure waste of money. I've bought in a 1st cut here, and picked up some hay from last summer back in May, so I'm setup alot better than 2018 as things stand now.

I bought 14 acres of first cut earlier this spring. I wasn't keen on taking more than 8 or 9 but he sorted me out with a good bit the last few years so I took the rest of fields he had. Pretty glad I did now.

I was hoping to cut next week but I have a medical appointment so that would complicate the cut a bit but I'll have to see what can be worked around. Shearing on Monday as well so be a busy week either way.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,058 ✭✭✭✭wrangler

Dickie10 wrote: »
    how much are second cut meadows going for to lease? per acre? the leasee to put out fertilizer

No one will rent second cut while this drought persists. it'll take substantial amount of rain to grow a second cut now

• Registered Users Posts: 577 ✭✭✭theaceofspies

wrangler wrote: »
    No one will rent second cut while this drought persists. it'll take substantial amount of rain to grow a second cut now

Not quoting you but replying to this thread in general.

Funny how everyone moans when a real/potential fodder shortage is looming on the horizon and then are crying when they have to pay base prices (that's €25 to you and me) to farmers who rely on silage to clear their own books/fields.

Lots of silage left over from last year and there is still lots of opportunities to buy same from fellas at discount pices.

"the more things change the more they stay the same". Please (fellow Boards Farmers) don't complain if it turns nasty and you have to pay €50 a bale because the man who may have to accept €10 a bale right now wont bother others with his woes in 6 months if it works out for you.

Farming is so low margin now that we have all become Gamblers.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,081 ✭✭✭✭whelan2

Straw will be expensive apparently.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,578 ✭✭✭memorystick

whelan2 wrote: »
    Straw will be expensive apparently.

Did your supplier say that? There be loads of feed come November 1.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,081 ✭✭✭✭whelan2

Did your supplier say that? There be loads of feed come November 1.

Yes.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,051 ✭✭✭✭Say my name

There's the possibility of thunderstorms breaking out in the coming days.

Midlands could be tomorrow.
    West and north west then in the days after.
    East on Sunday and then maybe southeast on Monday.

A very slight possibility but there's a chance.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,713 ✭✭✭Gods Gift

Very nice dairy man offered me €12 a bale for last years left over silage. He has also bought beet last week. He’s under pressure. 30 acres of reseeded ground is looking like a failer. Silage is way back on last year. Cows everywhere. Wants a field of barley off me to whole crop or sow redstart in it. I told him he wants wants wants the whole time.

Flag leaf will be appearing soon on spring sown crops. So very little straw.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,830 ✭✭✭lab man

Wat is flag leaf, ive seen maize sown a month ago here in west clare saw it yesterdayit looks to me its dying

• Registered Users Posts: 24,364 ✭✭✭✭Reggie.

Gods Gift wrote: »
    Very nice dairy man offered me €12 a bale for last years left over silage. He has also bought beet last week. He’s under pressure. 30 acres of reseeded ground is looking like a failer. Silage is way back on last year. Cows everywhere. Wants a field of barley off me to whole crop or sow redstart in it. I told him he wants wants wants the whole time.

Alot of reseeds are under pressure but will come in time

• Registered Users Posts: 3,519 ✭✭✭Limestone Cowboy

I'm in north clare, it has turned into a heavy mist now but loads of moisture in the ground after it, I've awful heavy meadows so a dry year is suiting me, poor comfort for a lot of men tho, a few miles up from me towards ballyvaughan and they're looking at the grass turn brown

Brown is right, the bit of drizzle yesterday evening wasn't long burning off today either.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,043 ✭✭✭davidk1394

Grass is slow to come back around here, the rain that fell last week was blown away by the wind we got over the weekend.

A wet and windy May, fills the barns full of hay.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,364 ✭✭✭✭Reggie.

MT saying chance of thunderstorms sunday and monday but possibly could be looking at 2 or 3 weeks of this hot weather

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,073 ✭✭✭✭mahoney_j

Reggie. wrote: »
    MT saying chance of thunderstorms sunday and monday but possibly could be looking at 2 or 3 weeks of this hot weather

With corona virus on top and how it’s affected milk beef sheep etc 2/3 more weeks of this and it only may will be a disaster .at least there’s lots feed around but you’d gladly take a nice weeks rain now

Advertisement