Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Drought 2020

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,492 ✭✭✭SouthWesterly

Have ye rain gauges or what? Is there a way of seeing what the weather stations are measuring realtime?

I've a weather station

Edit:
    23.6mm overnight.
    10.6C

• Registered Users Posts: 11,064 ✭✭✭✭wrangler

Reggie. wrote: »
    Listening to the rain hitting the roof here. Lovely

Only 5ml here and the wind has it dried off already

• Registered Users Posts: 1,138 ✭✭✭Tileman

wrangler wrote: »
    Only 5ml here and the wind has it dried off already

Yes we are the same the wind drying the drops before they hit the ground. Ground wet looking but no where near enough fell.
    Very vey windy though

• Registered Users Posts: 8,611 ✭✭✭Mooooo

Concrete dry with the wind but according to weather folk between 25 and 30 mm fell here, it was driving rain and most fell in the space of 3 hours so likely majority just headed for the drain. Glad i didn't spread fert yday after

• Registered Users Posts: 1,166 ✭✭✭Still waters

Started raining here at 7 yesterday evening and i had 6 meters of concrete down yesterday morning, took its time drying i thought it would be damaged, not a mark on it this morning, I'd say it didnt make much and promised to get fine again, plenty grass growing around here on heavy land so we dont need much, but 5 miles up the road its turning brown on top of the rock

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 671 ✭✭✭addaword

Windy and lightish showers here, but could still do with more rain though. The ground was very dry.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,713 ✭✭✭Gods Gift

Have ye rain gauges or what? Is there a way of seeing what the weather stations are measuring realtime?

Empty mineral lick bucket was empty of water late last nite
    Couple of millimetres in it this morning.
    Bucket Now blown away= light rain and gusty.

• Registered Users Posts: 207 ✭✭Biscuitus

Old cows are getting lame now from the ground being so hard.

• Registered Users Posts: 851 ✭✭✭Sacrolyte

Gods Gift wrote: »

The multifunctional weather station bucket. Must have for every farm.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,492 ✭✭✭SouthWesterly

Gods Gift wrote: »

Super answer :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,300 ✭✭✭✭Danzy

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=113524024&postcount=74
    A technical weather post.

Will need to stock up on sun-cream, ice cream and cold drinks if tonight's GFS can be believed. Plenty of dry and warm weather on the way, high teens to low twenties for many of us over the next week and possibly extending into June as well.

Tonights ensembles show a very dry scene and a warming trend from Sunday as high pressure begins to dominate.

High pressure extends its influence from Sunday and persists all week, by next Thursday it is right over us.

Staying dry and relatively warm throughout next weekend, high teens to low twenties.

High pressure as far as FI goes right up to 7th of June, there is a chance low pressure could bring cooler and more unsettled weather from Scandinavia but this appears to only really affect the UK and pushed into central Europe leaving Ireland on the warmer and more settled side for once.

For the end of May and beginning to June you couldn't ask for better.

ECM also brings plenty of settled and relatively warm conditions

Fingers crossed these runs work out, looks like after we are finished with the annoying windy and unsettled blip, the Atlantic is packing it's bags for possibly a couple of weeks.
    Gonzo is offline Report Post

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=113524024&postcount=74

The original post with technical charts.

Worth considering.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,138 ✭✭✭Tileman

The rain forecast for here today has disappeared off the charts . We got very little rain over past 2 days. Probably less than 3mm. There will be people in bother around here for grazing. Wouldn’t worry as much about silage as plenty of rain will come later in the year and still have plenty of time for silage .

• Registered Users Posts: 13,300 ✭✭✭✭Danzy

Apart from shaking extra fertilizer last week,

I have been letting them out of paddock at a much higher residual. The grass definitely comes back quicker.

Seems grassroots are related to the height of grass above, remove more if it and the roots die back to the appropriate level for the height above. A cut of silage can die back 90% of the root.

Fields that have heavy cover will be grazed even lighter, and kept as a bank of grass that will should come back quicker. 3 day strip and give them a day and a half. Takes grass to grow grass as a Mr. Base Price said.

Grazed some of the silage ground so cover could build elsewhere. Will cut in next few days the rest.
    We'll see how it goes for the next fortnight.

This may be obvious to lots just posting my own rambling thoughts.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,481 ✭✭✭jaymla627

Tileman wrote: »
    The rain forecast for here today has disappeared off the charts . We got very little rain over past 2 days. Probably less than 3mm. There will be people in bother around here for grazing. Wouldn’t worry as much about silage as plenty of rain will come later in the year and still have plenty of time for silage .

Got a good inch plus of rain the past week here, any areas that didnt get a good soak and are on light soil will be in serious trouble if the weather plays out as given, ground was dryer here up to last week then the same period of 2018

• Registered Users Posts: 1,910 ✭✭✭awaywithyou

just read an interview on agriland with manager of gurteen dairy farm.... he must do fcuk all work as he seemed to know how much grass all his neighbouring farmers have... gurteen he reckons has a growth rate of 52 and demand of 51.... does he actually think we're all fools... Gurteen has some of the best land in the country... yet his neighbours are all burned up and hes grand...

making a mother of a shower of rain outside while im typing this

• Registered Users Posts: 126 ✭✭K9

Growth 45 this week, 3 previous weeks 77,106 and 75. Rain Thursday night and yesterday should drive it on again.

Rained most of last night here in Cork, cow's gathered by the ditch for shelter. Strong wind blowing again. May be harder for drystock lads or those with jobs but prob best to go in with silage now if you think you are going to be short, try and maintain a rotation

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,713 ✭✭✭Gods Gift

At least with this wind, covering pits is out of the question.
    After gettin out of 6 yards coz it’s to windy.

“I’ll be back when it calms down” I told them.

I will in me hole.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,885 ✭✭✭kevthegaff

Didnt think we got that much rain but it will help big time, went with some urea this morning!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,633 ✭✭✭✭Buford T. Justice XIX

kevthegaff wrote: »
    Didnt think we got that much rain but it will help big time, went with some urea this morning!

Very windy here this morning and ground still rock hard:(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,084 ✭✭✭✭mahoney_j

kevthegaff wrote: »

Have spreader on and ready to go with urea here too but far too windy atm .amazing the difference the rain yesterday /last night /this morning has made.was going to run tight next week pre rain now I’ve skipped a paddock for bales .lots of lovely aftergrass ahead for next week

• Registered Users Posts: 6,481 ✭✭✭jaymla627

just read an interview on agriland with manager of gurteen dairy farm.... he must do fcuk all work as he seemed to know how much grass all his neighbouring farmers have... gurteen he reckons has a growth rate of 52 and demand of 51.... does he actually think we're all fools... Gurteen has some of the best land in the country... yet his neighbours are all burned up and hes grand...

making a mother of a shower of rain outside while im typing this

They wouldn’t be allergic to feeding cows a shake of meal their in fairness so demand wouldn’t be crazy high, would be a lot of large herds in that area stocked to the hilt so any wobble in grass growth for a few weeks peak season and their in a grass deficit fairly quick

• Registered Users Posts: 1,580 ✭✭✭memorystick

mahoney_j wrote: »
    Have spreader on and ready to go with urea here too but far too windy atm .amazing the difference the rain yesterday /last night /this morning has made.was going to run tight next week pre rain now I’ve skipped a paddock for bales .lots of lovely aftergrass ahead for next week

Fair play to you. I’m trying to fatten bullocks and grass is gone but they’re getting over 4 kgs per day. Fresh paddock daily but only 8 days of turnaround. In fairness they are fleshing up.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,699 ✭✭✭✭patsy_mccabe

Absolutely no grass around here... and no rain in the coming week either. Never seen anything like it. Neighbour rang me today .... it's starting to get to him too. At least he has silage. I'm begging it of people. :mad:

'When I was a boy we were serfs, slave minded. Anyone who came along and lifted us out of that belittling, I looked on them as Gods.' - Dan Breen

• Registered Users Posts: 660 ✭✭✭ABitofsense

Down to very little grass here now. Have few bales left so going to start giving them some to take the pressure of the grass.

What's the best way to manage grass in a drought?

• Registered Users Posts: 29,135 ✭✭✭✭whelan2

Absolutely no grass around here... and no rain in the coming week either. Never seen anything like it. Neighbour rang me today .... it's starting to get to him too. At least he has silage. I'm begging it of people. :mad:

Did you get no rain last week at all?

Down to very little grass here now. Have few bales left so going to start giving them some to take the pressure of the grass.

What's the best way to manage grass in a drought?

Try and keep you're rotation, supplement with silage or meal to slow the cow's down. If you leave it go long beyond the 22 days it'll turn stemmy and head out esp around this time of the year. Go in early with the supplementation as well

• Registered Users Posts: 10,699 ✭✭✭✭patsy_mccabe

whelan2 wrote: »
    Did you get no rain last week at all?

We got a few mm, but it dried as quick. I was overstocked to begin with and with Marts closed aswell.........

'When I was a boy we were serfs, slave minded. Anyone who came along and lifted us out of that belittling, I looked on them as Gods.' - Dan Breen

• Registered Users Posts: 1,416 ✭✭✭148multi

mahoney_j wrote: »

Is it a bit late for urea

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,084 ✭✭✭✭mahoney_j

148multi wrote: »
    Is it a bit late for urea

Never too late for urea as long as there’s moisture

Advertisement