Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Drought 2020

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 976 ✭✭✭greenfield21

Ah great news on the forecast, were very lucky to have got that recent rain compared to uk. Looks like another great year for grass.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,118 ✭✭✭✭Say my name

Reggie. wrote: »
    MT saying chance of thunderstorms sunday and monday but possibly could be looking at 2 or 3 weeks of this hot weather

Hard to know who's right.

British met have rain on the long range forecast.

https://www.metoffice.gov.uk/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,633 ✭✭✭✭Buford T. Justice XIX

I was having problems keeping water to the cows the last few weeks, pressure from the pump was pretty poor so I reckoned I had a leak somewhere. I looked all along the lines of pipes and switched off sections of troughs but little difference.

Seeing as I was working off 3/4" pipes, I said I'b better put in bigger pipes and bury them instead of leaving them overground so I bought the pipes and booked a digger to sort it out.

Anyway, the water is fine since Sunday, I've reopened all the closed troughs and lines and pressure is good.

It looks like I may have to drill a deeper well or another well as it now looks like the poor pressure was due to the well running dry and it's now refilled after the rain last week. 300' deep and may need to go deeper:eek:

It looks like I may have to drill a deeper well or another well as it now looks like the poor pressure was due to the well running dry and it's now refilled after the rain last week. 300' deep and may need to go deeper:eek:

Is that below sea level?

• Registered Users Posts: 29,133 ✭✭✭✭whelan2

I was having problems keeping water to the cows the last few weeks, pressure from the pump was pretty poor so I reckoned I had a leak somewhere. I looked all along the lines of pipes and switched off sections of troughs but little difference.

Seeing as I was working off 3/4" pipes, I said I'b better put in bigger pipes and bury them instead of leaving them overground so I bought the pipes and booked a digger to sort it out.

Anyway, the water is fine since Sunday, I've reopened all the closed troughs and lines and pressure is good.

Was topping a paddock this morning. Noticed a wet patch in the next one. Did some investigating it's either council sewerage or mains water. Been leaking a long time. In the dry weather it's very noticeable. My dad will ring them now to tell them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,491 ✭✭✭SouthWesterly

MT saying chance of thunderstorms sunday and monday but possibly could be looking at 2 or 3 weeks of this hot weather

I'm off work next week. Loads to do outside so half of me is happy. The other half needs rain.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,491 ✭✭✭SouthWesterly

Mines about a hundred feet and I've friends saying to water the veg garden. Not a hope in me tempting fate like that.

Interesting that I've gone with wood chips this year on the beds and the soil is, soaked under them. The exposed ground is, rock hard.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,369 ✭✭✭✭Reggie.

Hard to know who's right.

British met have rain on the long range forecast.

https://www.metoffice.gov.uk/

Hope the rain comes. MT says that Britain is to get a frontal system next week but will miss us as we are under a high pressure dome

Hope the rain comes. MT says that Britain is to get a frontal system next week but will miss us as we are under a high pressure dome

You get onto the crew to shoot down that dome. :pac:

It's hard to know really which way it'll go. Some forecasts have a low to the west and sw of Ireland Monday and others go further and have a full blown lp system over us by the end of next week.
    They all seem to think a split of the high pressure system is on the cards whether we'll get a low pressure system in there and where and what strength has question marks over it.
    I'm less concerned about drought than I was a few days ago put it that way. But then I've probably jinxed that..:p

Is that below sea level?

Well below sea level. Afaik, it depends on the the cracks and weaknesses of the layers of limestone as to how good your supply is. I might have to go deeper but my neighbour might find loads at 100 foot.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,369 ✭✭✭✭Reggie.

You get onto the crew to shoot down that dome. :pac:

It's hard to know really which way it'll go. Some forecasts have a low to the west and sw of Ireland Monday and others go further and have a full blown lp system over us by the end of next week.
    They all seem to think a split of the high pressure system is on the cards whether we'll get a low pressure system in there and where and what strength has question marks over it.
    I'm less concerned about drought than I was a few days ago put it that way. But then I've probably jinxed that..:p
    Well **** ya anyway

Well below sea level. Afaik, it depends on the the cracks and weaknesses of the layers of limestone as to how good your supply is. I might have to go deeper but my neighbour might find loads at 100 foot.

That's what everyone should read if they believe in the old primary school teachings of water levels below ground like it's all one uniform mass of sand with water level the same regardless.
    Talk to any old timer and they'll go about underground streams and to anyone who's been in underground cave systems their head can understand this.

So the choice is deeper in the hope of getting a good underground stream or... get the rods out. ;)

Balls of a job to have either way.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭Mortelaro

I dont see any rain in East wickla in the next 10 days anyhow or even in the rest of the country
    I'd expect any thunder showers in the west in the next few days to be isolated
    Under one and you'll flood but 5 miles up the road nothing
    Expect none then jump for joy if you get some

Interesting discussion there on wells
    We have two on the farm here,the old one is a shallow well
    Great soft water in it,I'd expect it to be under pressure by next month
    2nd one is a 200ft bore,you can actually see the water moving in it,we hit an under ground river
    Theres a lot of iron in it though.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,331 ✭✭✭80sDiesel

One field of mine is heavy ground with some rushes. Dried out now of course. I used my flail mower collector to cut it short to see if the dry spell would weaken the rushes and give the grass a go. Anyone tried that?

A man is rich in proportion to the number of things which he can afford to let alone.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,331 ✭✭✭80sDiesel

One field of mine is heavy ground with some rushes. Dried out now of course. I used my flail mower collector to cut it short and remove the cuttings to see if the dry spell would weaken the rushes and give the grass a go. Wasting my time?

A man is rich in proportion to the number of things which he can afford to let alone.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,910 ✭✭✭awaywithyou

drilled a new well here just over a year and a half ago.... 250ft.... old one which is still working away is 56ft.... guy that drilled it said that around ur area was the hardest place he ever came across to find water... all the wells he done were all 100's of feet deep... kinda surprised me tbh

Drought is fairly bad across in England.
    https://twitter.com/CRMagri/status/1265301017236832257?s=19

• Registered Users Posts: 4,734 ✭✭✭endainoz

80sDiesel wrote: »
    One field of mine is heavy ground with some rushes. Dried out now of course. I used my flail mower collector to cut it short and remove the cuttings to see if the dry spell would weaken the rushes and give the grass a go. Wasting my time?

I'd say it's worth a shot alright. Rushes are surely under pressure now in a lot of places.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,296 ✭✭✭✭Danzy

Yeah, this is a great year to give rushes a kick in the head.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,894 ✭✭✭selectamatic

80sDiesel wrote: »

Worth doing but they'll come again. However if you get the regrowth sprayed when its about 4-6 inches you'll get a good kill.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,011 ✭✭✭Neddyusa

Less than a weeks grass left. Half the cattle going to graze silage ground next week and the rest going on bales. Looking a lot worse than 2018 here at the moment.

One thing I notice different to 2018 is that back then the grass died under the trees first. This year there is nice green grass under trees and ditches and the middle of the field burned up.

It just shows the sun and the drying East wind is a bigger factor than the lack of rain.

Shows the value of shelter/shade in a field too!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,885 ✭✭✭kevthegaff

Theres a little bit of due here in the mornings unlike 18, also temperatures arent as high so far

• Registered Users Posts: 29,133 ✭✭✭✭whelan2

The drought in 2018 was a bit later was it not?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,580 ✭✭✭memorystick

whelan2 wrote: »
    The drought in 2018 was a bit later was it not?

2-3 weeks?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,552 ✭✭✭20silkcut

2-3 weeks?

Yes I think it was mid June before we realized we were in trouble back then. Even though it was drying up in the month of May that year as well.

According to the older heads the 1976 drought was much later more August and September.

Maybe the earlier start will mean an earlier finish while the growing season is still young.

Although it’s a balls that this drought is occurring during peak grass season.

I remember 2009 being a very dry June followed by a washout summer in July and August.
    But we do seem to have shifted away a lot from those wet summers of those years.

Last year was quite dry in the month of May too.
    It wasn’t a dry summer afterwards but I remember getting slightly concerned about a 2018 repeat this time last year.
    This year definitely has all the hallmarks of 2018.

2-3 weeks?

3-4 weeks later here. Was about the third week of June when grass turned.
    As silkcut says, the reason May drought is worse is that the natural grass peak will always be before heading, so if the rain comes back in July or August, growth wont compensate fully.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,225 ✭✭✭charolais0153

I thought the drought in 2018 was a one in 20 or thirty year event :rolleyes:

Fields starting to burn up.now

But this isnt like 2018,still some limited growth about,it was like someone crop dusted,the whole country with roundup then

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,552 ✭✭✭20silkcut

Fields starting to burn up.now

But this isnt like 2018,still some limited growth about,it was like someone crop dusted,the whole country with roundup then

I think this year is just a straightforward lack of rain.

2018 was more scorching weather and lack of rain.
    It seems no two droughts are exactly the same.

For those with long memories this one is probably more similar to the green drought of 1984 so far.

Advertisement