Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tell us about your new improved government regulations compliant cycle part II

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭Eamonnator

positron wrote: »
    That must have taken some planning!!

Did about 50 last night, all within 5k limit ( give or take a km or two :o ). Lovely evening for it. I love this good spell of weather and quieter roads - although main roads are starting to get livelier as more and more people are venturing out their dino-mobiles.

I had to venture over to the Faa Side to bring the total up.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,036 ✭✭✭✭neris

Out last night for a while and coming up to the wooden bridge on the clontarf cyclepath 6 young ones standing the in the cycle lane having a chat and laugh. no attempt to move and totally oblivious as to what was going on around them. Lovely & quiet out in Howth and nice sunset.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,683 ✭✭✭triggermortis

Quick spin this afternoon. Wasn't sure how to dress and wore too much. Got good bike out with a very soft front tyre (20psi) decided to just pump it and take it handy and see how it held up. All going ok, slowed to let a car reverse out of a driveway and as I stood on the pedals to get under way again, the chain skipped and I ended up in a heap in the verge.. ouch. No damage to the bike and luckily the extra clothing helped I guess. Checked the bike over more closely when I got home and looks like I'm in the market for new chainrings

• Registered Users Posts: 307 ✭✭North of 32

Had a nice spin this afternoon but I'm dead pleased with 3 things in particular:
    1. I adjusted my saddle position to take more pressure off of my shoulders/arms and it seems to have worked
    2. I finally got the cleat angle correct on my right shoe
    3. I adjusted my rear derailleur and indexed the rear gears from scratch and now my bike is shifting better than ever, even better than when it was fresh from the factory. An easy job in hindsight but I am usually a useless bollox when it comes to stuff like that. I'm happy as larry that I not only managed to do it, but I actually did a decent job!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

50km again today keeping more or less within the 5km. I noticed a marked increase in traffic today.

I've been out everyday this week on practically the same route. It's becoming tedious but no other choice really. A tedious 220km so far this week.

Roll on 8th June. 20km = north west Wicklow for me. Happy days.

• Advertisement

I'd say some of the traffic was builders and others heading to sites/shops to get ready for Monday with social distancing signs etc.

I've family in the civil engineering end of things and they have been busy the last few weeks sourcing various things that would make your eyes water price wise.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,929 ✭✭✭raven136

Took my 14year old on a nice loop inside the limits

Seen plenty of others out on bikes and despite lots of them passing us out its great to see :D

• Registered Users Posts: 882 ✭✭✭sy_flembeck

Lovely spin within the 5k. Only downside was the 2 unnecessary close passes. It was nice while it lasted

• Registered Users Posts: 1,280 ✭✭✭Garzard

Had a very enjoyable cycle to Howth yesterday, aside from being honked at and gestures made at me by a couple in a sporty BMW type while on the Dublin Rd towards Howth - woman on the passenger side gave me an unmissable glare as they were passing me the first time; when overtaking me at the next set of traffic lights she was staring out the window and flapping her hands about. Undoubtedly because I was using the road instead of the cycle track along the beachwalk, which was too crowded for me to safely be there at the speed I was doing and I had a close call on it last week.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,326 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

always do the 'oh, you must know me and be beeping hello' friendly wave in that situation.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 38,863 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Went and did my first 100+km ride since the lockdown (absolutely knackered now).
    Kept it all inside my 5km boundary.
    Two close passes both of which were at speed (me and them): we're getting back to normal now :rolleyes:
    https://strava.app.link/8JBEwryEy6

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,326 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

1,141 calories burned over nearly 4 hours? i love the estimates you see on strava.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 38,863 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

1,141 calories burned over nearly 4 hours? i love the estimates you see on strava.
    I'm happy enough with the distances, speeds and times. Couldn't care less about how many calories it thinks I've lost (plus it's presumably not factoring in the three bananas I ate on the spin :D)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,868 ✭✭✭cletus

To be honest, I'm tired just thinking about the planning that cycle took, never mind the cycle itself

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,708 Mod ✭✭✭✭smacl

1,200-1,400 for me each morning getting my ~90kg fat ass up to the viewing point and mosying around my 5k zone, usually about 1hr15. I realise it is nonsense but I appreciate it all the same.

my understanding was that a brisk cycle (15mph+) burned about 600 calories for an average weight cyclist, per hour.

i'm getting a little curious as to what strava does about auto pause. just back from a spin with auto-pause enabled on the garmin, and the garmin says moving time is 1:07:54, strava says moving time is 1:09:51, and elapsed time is 1:12:07 (i stopped at multiple sets of lights)

the discrepancy of two minutes of moving time is quite a discrepancy; the garmin peeps to tell you it's auto paused, and it seems to be quite accurate at determining when you're stopped.

my understanding was that a brisk cycle (15mph+) burned about 600 calories for an average weight cyclist, per hour.

Looking at the following calculator there seems to be quite a few more variables involved resulting in a very big calorie range. I've tried a few others and get similar results to Strava by weight and speed (i.e. plus or minus 20%). Not seeing a calculator that includes gradient, where hills mean quite a few more calories burned for heavier folks.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,265 ✭✭✭✭ted1

Good 10km with the kids and misses. The 4 year old is currently riding his sister old pink bike. Up and over from killiney to Dalkey and back. Dragging the 4 year old up the vico road by the back of his jacket. We got quite the applause at times !!

Lots of drivers out today. Good manners and respect from them. ( must bring the kids in all my spins!!)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,283 ✭✭✭positron

Got out for a while today. It was nice until it started drizzling (which was very welcome to be honest, felt almost normal again) but soon the road surface became super slippery, so I ended up giving up on my Strava art plan (2 petals short of a 6 petal flower) mid way and headed home. Also I was knackered to be honest.

Once home I realised the Garmin spd/cadence sensor had stopped working, and the Garmin watch that I used to record my rides, had stopped recording the speed, and distance!!

I don't know why Garmin wouldn't fall back to GPS when the spd/cadence sensor is disconnected, or at least they could give us a choice to select between sensor or GPS later on in Garmin Connect?! How hard could that be!!

Managed to export GPX file from Connect and imported that into Strava - GPX apparently has just the GPS coordinates, and that's enough for Strava to workout the total distance, speed etc. Happy Days. Double checked a ride from couple of days ago - and again, Garmin had recorded about 20% less distance. Hmmmmm. I wonder how long this has been going on..!!

PS: Went thru Garda checkpoint, they were too busy stopping cars they didn't even look at me. :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

i'm getting a little curious as to what strava does about auto pause. just back from a spin with auto-pause enabled on the garmin, and the garmin says moving time is 1:07:54, strava says moving time is 1:09:51, and elapsed time is 1:12:07 (i stopped at multiple sets of lights)

the discrepancy of two minutes of moving time is quite a discrepancy; the garmin peeps to tell you it's auto paused, and it seems to be quite accurate at determining when you're stopped.

I've given up on trying to understand it, tbh. I use the Garmin to record the data. I don't really need Strava to put it's own take on it. It should just use the Garmin data (or at least have the option). If I was using the Strava app then I'd understand.

Say I do a spin at 22kmh according to my Garmin. Then I upload it to Strava and it's now 21.3kmh. Now I really don't care about my average speed but I find it odd that technology can't just agree on which it is.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,319 ✭✭✭Daroxtar

Longest real life spin in nearly 2 months. Just shy of 70km all in the lock down limits. There was a bit of a warm feeling in the breeze despite it not actually being that warm.
    For the last few weeks myself and a couple of club mates have entertained ourselves swapping KOMs on all the road segments nearby. Some of it has been utterly cut throat with multiple stolen crowns and several instances of titles changing hands and back again before evening. There's been rides deliberately not posted until near dark to allow overnight glory. Checking of hourly wind forecasts seems to be rampant judging by how frequently we pass each other at random hours of the day. Checking the phone for the dreaded "you have lost your KOM" notifications is a nightly ritual.

It's been fking great craic.
    I've rode so many paths and bohreens that I've never cycled on before even though they're right beside me. Perfect, deserted, rolling roads through countryside that I took for granted for so long because it wasn't the mountains that I love so much.
    On the days I wasn't chasing glory and ego, I brought the family out for spins on the same roads. They loved it.

The lock down has been a pain in the arse but it's definitely had its plusses too.
    https://www.strava.com/activities/3465897525

• Registered Users Posts: 4,344 ✭✭✭beggars_bush

Daroxtar wrote: »
    Longest real life spin in nearly 2 months. Just shy of 70km all in the lock down limits. There was a bit of a warm feeling in the breeze despite it not actually being that warm.
    For the last few weeks myself and a couple of club mates have entertained ourselves swapping KOMs on all the road segments nearby. Some of it has been utterly cut throat with multiple stolen crowns and several instances of titles changing hands and back again before evening. There's been rides deliberately not posted until near dark to allow overnight glory. Checking of hourly wind forecasts seems to be rampant judging by how frequently we pass each other at random hours of the day. Checking the phone for the dreaded "you have lost your KOM" notifications is a nightly ritual.

It's been fking great craic.
    I've rode so many paths and bohreens that I've never cycled on before even though they're right beside me. Perfect, deserted, rolling roads through countryside that I took for granted for so long because it wasn't the mountains that I love so much.
    On the days I wasn't chasing glory and ego, I brought the family out for spins on the same roads. They loved it.

The lock down has been a pain in the arse but it's definitely had its plusses too.
    https://www.strava.com/activities/3465897525

I might have passed you out on occasion along the royal canal stretch :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 965 ✭✭✭shaveAbullock

The Garmin uses the speed sensor for moving time and strava uses the gps data.
    Strava does not read the speed sensor data from the file AFAIK.
    Wouldn't that explain the difference?

what speed sensor? all the garmin has is GPS data too.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,283 ✭✭✭positron

Strava uses the figures Garmin puts out IF you have linked and auto-syncing between Garmin Connect and Strava - I had to figure this out the hard way as I had spd sensor issues couple of days ago - and Garmin watch & Garmin Connect showed a total distance of 39 kms and Strava said the same.

But then I exported the GPS file from Garmin Connect and imported it into Strava, that forced Strava to work out the correct total distance of around 68 kms.

So yeah, Strava takes whatever Garmin puts out at least when you auto-sync.

what speed sensor? all the garmin has is GPS data too.

Wheel magnet sensor unless you're just using the head unit.

just the head unit, it's a cheapo jobbie.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,274 ✭✭✭Mercian Pro

On normal club spins (remember those?) I didn't find much difference between the two sets of data on Garmin and Strava but on recent stop/start cycles within the 2k, it was very obvious. It may be related to how the two programs deal with the auto-pause and restart process.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 336 ✭✭wazzer1

Hi folks

Just recently started cycling and have been building up gradually from 20km, up to 40km now. Any tips going forward to push it on a bit more.

TIA

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement