Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Covid19 Part XV - 15,251 in ROI (610 deaths) 2,645 in NI (194 deaths) (19/04) Read OP

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 464 ✭✭Iamabeliever

Gael23 wrote: »
    Mary Lou has tested positive

And I was just thinking - ah fair play to her for holding her tongue. Does this mean we can expect to hear / see more political point scoring in the coming days?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,166 ✭✭✭Fr_Dougal

Mary Lou was tested the 28th of March and got her results yesterday the 14th of April.

Ffs.

Thankfully she has been self-isolating since the start of this outbreak, little chance or her infecting anyone.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,820 ✭✭✭smelly sock

BanditLuke wrote: »
    Probably the stupidest post iv'e read on here so far and that's saying something.

Every single person on here wants a vaccine no matter what side of the argument you come down on.

Wow you don't agree with someone and can't be arsed developing a retort or argument so just come out with this BS.

Silly carry.

• Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭FrToddUnctious

Gynoid wrote: »
    This idea of old. I am early 50s, I consider myself young enough and I am active and healthy, thank goodness. One of my very best friend's is 71, she is the first one I turn to when things are good and when things are dire. She is a world traveler, politically engaged, a brilliant mind, a writer, a creator, and she can out walk me any day. Faster, longer, stronger. She is my heroine and inspiration, actually, and I have never ever once considered her old. I hope she lives for another 30 years at least. My parent and parents in law also, who are early 70s and living very full and exciting lives. They do more sociallly than I hardly ever do on one of their quiet days! It makes me quite sad the cavalier dismissal of the so called "old" by some on here.

You're not as healthy as you think you are if someone in their 70's can outwalk you

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,599 ✭✭✭✭CIARAN_BOYLE

Laois_Man wrote: »
    How did the likes of Ryan Tubridy and Claire Byrne get tested and receive results so quickly when they had such mild symptoms by all accounts?

I believe that if the contact tracing people say you have had contact with a confirmed case you are treated as a higher priority. So presumably something like that.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,401 ✭✭✭all about the mane

wakka12 wrote: »
    I suppose MAry Lou was part of the batch sent to Germany then? Or why else could it have possible taken so long? Youd think theyd speed up a bit for such a high profile person

She isn't a priority case so no reason to speed it up

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,524 ✭✭✭Gynoid

You're not as healthy as you think you are if someone in their 70's can outwalk you

Haha :) she is good! Super speedy. I bet both of us could outwalk you!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,137 ✭✭✭✭Danzy

Are DIY shops reopening today in a limited way.

Don't know if that is correct.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,858 ✭✭✭podgeandrodge

gmisk wrote: »
    Fair play at least it looks like she waited and didn't throw her name about.....unlike a lot of other politicians, "celebrities" etc.

I hope she gets well soon.

What? :eek: She didn't broadcast from her 'shed' or do an 'isolation diary'? :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

Danzy wrote: »

In Italy yes but not here. They have been talked about as the first shops to open whenever that happens.

Laois_Man wrote: »
    How did the likes of Ryan Tubridy and Claire Byrne get tested and receive results so quickly when they had such mild symptoms by all accounts?

They were before things started to peak

• Closed Accounts Posts: 730 ✭✭✭Achasanai

And I was just thinking - ah fair play to her for holding her tongue. Does this mean we can expect to hear / see more political point scoring in the coming days?

If a politician is 'holding their tongue' they're not doing a very good job.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,830 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

Not unless you 'do it yourself';)

360_london_why_0809.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,166 ✭✭✭Fr_Dougal

They can legally open, but are advised not to.

Woodies won’t be opening.
    Woodie’s DIY chief executive Declan Ronayne said the home and garden retailer's 35 stores nationwide will remain closed, but called for a statement from the Chief Medical Officer or a Minister to clarify the situation.

He said there had been a mistake in the regulations and Woodie's had sought clarity from the Government about the issue.

“We’ve been told they’ve absolutely no intention of changing the guidelines and we are respecting the guidelines,” he said.

“Our stores are to remain closed. We have no plans to open, apart from our online operation which has been trading safely since Tuesday.”

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,252 ✭✭✭deisedevil

They were before things started to peak

Rubbish. They got their results quickly and others were waiting ten days and more.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,950 ✭✭✭polesheep

So is mine, actually.

Glad that your wife is working in ideal conditions, being supplied with fit-for-purpose PPE and not having to work extended hours.

Mine isn't so lucky.

She's working long shifts but the same number of hours per week. There is no shortage of PPE at the moment. No nurse is required to work extra hours at the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,831 ✭✭✭Peanut Butter Jelly

Achasanai wrote: »

In this instance, they meant holding their tongue in terms of not making a big deal of waiting for test results and her using her public position to get them fast tracked. In general I'd agree with your sentiment but in this case it was the right thing to do

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,134 ✭✭✭caveat emptor

Gael23 wrote: »
    Mary Lou has tested positive

That’s mental. If I remember her kid went to school in glasnevin with one of the first cases in the country.

At the time the family of people who were potentially in contact with a positive case were told to continue as normal with work and school etc.

Fair play to her for isolating if her own accord. God knows how many cases that advice directly caused.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,950 ✭✭✭polesheep

Some parts of the country are impacted far differently to others so both of your wife's experiences may be accurate

No, this poster is posting incorrect information. My wife works in a busy Dublin hospital.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,314 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

Mr.S wrote: »
    Definitely not.

If she had minor symptoms it wouldn't have been rushed. She would have still been told to self-isolate like everyone else waiting for results.
    Claire Byrne and Ryan Tubridy seemed to get their results very quickly for people who had very minor symptoms.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,576 ✭✭✭bennyl10

Longing wrote: »
    Maybe we could have let's say HSE police in every town or supermarket. Just idea. Sick people will leave their homes no question about it.

What’s there to stop sick people doing that now?

We need to have common sense is all.
    Lockdown for 18 months isn’t that

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,918 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

Advisers to the German government on COVID-19 are saying football matches and concerts could be banned or behind closed doors for 18 months when the country starts opening up process.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 461 ✭✭Sober Crappy Chemis

Thankfully she has been self-isolating since the start of this outbreak, little chance or her infecting anyone.

I have crossed out the unimportant bit.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,789 ✭✭✭✭BattleCorp

Hardware shops in my town are open today.

deisedevil wrote: »
    Rubbish. They got their results quickly and others were waiting ten days and more.

Why the need to find a conspiracy in everything. Claire Byrne was confirmed positive on the 23rd of March and Tubridy on the 30th. Tests in both cases a few days before. Was this not prior to the peak? Mary Lou was tested on the 28th in contrast. And from People I know who were tested, and individual tested on the 20th got results on the 22nd, while others not tested until late the following week are in some cases still waiting for results. But no, it's all rte, inner circle.....

• Registered Users Posts: 336 ✭✭wazzer1

Fr_Dougal wrote: »
    They can legally open, but are advised not to.

Woodies won’t be opening.

They're probably making a nice few quid off their 40 euro delivery charge. Robbing b#stards

• Registered Users Posts: 464 ✭✭Iamabeliever

That’s mental. If I remember her kid went to school in glasnevin with one of the first cases in the country.

At the time the family of people who were potentially in contact with a positive case were told to continue as normal with work and school etc.

Fair play to her for isolating if her own accord. God knows how many cases that advice directly caused.

All hail Mary , Mary is our leader

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,576 ✭✭✭bennyl10

Advisers to the German government on COVID-19 are saying football matches and concerts could be banned or behind closed doors for 18 months when the country starts opening up process.

Link?
    Struggling to find it but it makes sense

whatever about football matches, concerts behind closed doors will be interesting

• Registered Users Posts: 6,186 ✭✭✭munsterlegend

Have you a link to that?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,186 ✭✭✭munsterlegend

whatever about football matches, concerts behind closed doors will be interesting

Even a football match or any sport event won’t be the same without a crowd present

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,855 ✭✭✭✭average_runner

That is fair enough, but we need to open up the lockdown soon. It's pointless having people in UK can travel around the country

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,816 ✭✭✭✭Ace2007

You do realize how long ago that was - between that kid being off for 2 weeks, and from when she got a test done?

Achasanai wrote: »
    In current circumstances there is no way to be be seen to be doing a good job unless you are one of the very select few we see regularly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,916 ✭✭✭✭iguana

Football matches behind closed doors make sense as the majority of football supporters aren't actually at the match but watching on tv. And the clubs/league/etc still make money from selling the tv rights. But the majority of revenue from concerts must surely be made from actual ticket sales. So I'm not entirely sure what the point would be in having a behind closed doors concert. Yes, you could do it on tv/online as a type of pay per view but imo, that's not comparable to watching sports on tv.

All hail Mary , Mary is our leader

Here’s the link. You should of said you were a fan. I could have got it for you quicker.

https://www.irishmirror.ie/news/irish-news/mary-lou-mcdonald-posts-video-21616587

Ace2007 wrote: »
    You do realize how long ago that was - between that kid being off for 2 weeks, and from when she got a test done?

I do

• Advertisement

And only a few short weeks back he was shaking hands with anyone(tested!) who moved.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,170 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

The guy who came out with that "advice" should be sacked from any role in future "advice". That was in play in early March, when it had been widely reported in medical and research journals that this virus was contagious in asymptomatic cases weeks beforehand.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 77,535 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

WWE an "essential business" in Florida:pac:

https://twitter.com/FergalBowers/status/1249980624745779200

iguana wrote: »
    Football matches behind closed doors make sense as the majority of football supporters aren't actually at the match but watching on tv. And the clubs/league/etc still make money from selling the tv rights. But the majority of revenue from concerts must surely be made from actual ticket sales. So I'm not entirely sure what the point would be in having a behind closed doors concert. Yes, you could do it on tv/online as a type of pay per view but imo, that's not comparable to watching sports on tv.

That was kind of my point. Why would you pay to watch a concert with no audience when you can watch music for free on youtube!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,786 ✭✭✭wakka12

46.6% of all deaths in London last week were registered with COVID 19 as a contributing cause of death

Across the UK as a whole 21% of all deaths listed COVID as main or contributing COD
    https://news.sky.com/story/coronavirus-one-in-10-virus-deaths-taking-place-outside-hospitals-ons-11973059

The Office for National Statistics reported the highest number of deaths ever recorded in England and Wales last week from all causes, though this database only began in 2005.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 730 ✭✭✭Achasanai

In this instance, they meant holding their tongue in terms of not making a big deal of waiting for test results and her using her public position to get them fast tracked. In general I'd agree with your sentiment but in this case it was the right thing to do

Ah, fair enough if I got the wrong end of the stick. It was the statement about 'holding her tongue' and political point scoring that made me think otherwise.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,987 ✭✭✭✭expectationlost

fin12 wrote: »
    Father pleading on 96fm now for Simon Harris to reply to his emails regarding how his disabled son will be treated if he was to contract the virus.

Simon Harris pure disgrace, answers twitter emails about a f*cking Easter bunny but can’t get in contact with this man.

his child won't be treated by Simon Harris

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,536 ✭✭✭touts

Mary Lou was tested the 28th of March and got her results yesterday the 14th of April.

Ffs.

Are we still basing that on the Sinn Fein statement or has it been independently verified. Not that I'm saying SF would be a little loose with the facts to profit politically in a crisis but.....

fin12 wrote: »
    Father pleading on 96fm now for Simon Harris to reply to his emails regarding how his disabled son will be treated if he was to contract the virus.

Simon Harris pure disgrace, answers twitter emails about a f*cking Easter bunny but can’t get in contact with this man.

He will be treated the same as everyone else if there is a bed, if there were no beds in ICU then maybe a doctor would make a decision. It's not for Simon Harris to say one way or the other what would happen in that situation.

touts wrote: »
    Are we still basing that on the Sinn Fein statement or has it been independently verified. Not that I'm saying SF would be a little loose with the facts to profit politically in a crisis but.....

How is something that is private and confidentially going to be independently verified?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,987 ✭✭✭✭expectationlost

that was march 1st a long time ago. 6 weeks

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement