Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

MikroTik SXT-LTE6 kit vs TP-Link MR600

Options
  • 28-03-2020 12:27pm
    Registered Users Posts: 24

A neighbour is living in an area with poor broadband coverage - currently on satellite broadband with 40 Gb monthly cap.
    I borrowed a TP-Link MR600 and there is very poor connection speeds with Three mobile (slightly better on GoMo). Will the SXT give a much better signal. I don't want to purchase one only to find that it is no better than a 3g router. Has anyone had any experience with the MikroTik?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Bring the borrowed unit outside the house. Similar speed? Then changing device will have no impact.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,555 ✭✭✭✭Marlow

The SXT one is quite poor.

If you have to order one in, get the LHG variant (approx 2ft dish) and make sure, that you get the LTE one and not the 4G one. The LTE one works better in Ireland.

Either way what ED_E said ... but do not buy the SXT LTE unit. It's rubbish.

/M

• Registered Users Posts: 24 Fuser

Thanks, its a good price on that site. I'll give that a go. I have to wait a while though as my neighbour lives more that 2Km away :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 281 ✭✭johnytwentyten

Fuser wrote: »
    Thanks, its a good price on that site. I'll give that a go. I have to wait a while though as my neighbour lives more that 2Km away :rolleyes:

Hi just wondering if you bought this dish and how you got on with it?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 729 ✭✭✭Dero

Marlow wrote: »
    The SXT one is quite poor.

If you have to order one in, get the LHG variant (approx 2ft dish) and make sure, that you get the LTE one and not the 4G one. The LTE one works better in Ireland.

Either way what ED_E said ... but do not buy the SXT LTE unit. It's rubbish.

/M

As a matter of interest, is the SXT one rubbish in general, or just rubbish for fringe reception areas?

I presume in configuration terms it's just RouterOS, so bridging should provide a public IP on the Ethernet (assuming the network/APN provides a public address)?

I ordered the "RouterBOARD RBLHGR&R11e-LTE6, LHG LTE6 kit" from the above link. I got a 3.ie SIM. The unit worked straight away, I didn't have to enter apn details. I was getting 10 MB/s straight away, with the unit in the house facing out the window. I am having an issue with the mobile network disconnecting and I have to reboot it periodically. It usually disconnects when there is little broadband use in the house. I have opened a ticket with irishwireless and am waiting to see if there is a simple solution.
    My brother in law picked up one too. The latest firmware give you a signal strength meter, so you can see the best way to point it when setting up. Funnily enough, the strongest signal gave him a speed of 2MB/s, (about -75 Db) whereas a slightly weaker signal of a different mast (-83Db) gave downloads of 20MB/s. He hasn't fixed his antenna yet as he is ordering a 3.ie SIM too. I can't say yet if he is getting the network drop issues/

Dero wrote: »
    As a matter of interest, is the SXT one rubbish in general, or just rubbish for fringe reception areas?

The SXT LTE one is just rubbish full stop. And that's based on my own testing. (and I do this kind of stuff for a living) All I'd use it for is a doorstop.

/M

Funnily enough, the strongest signal gave him a speed of 2MB/s, (about -75 Db) whereas a slightly weaker signal of a different mast (-83Db) gave downloads of 20MB/s.

That could be different cells and the one with the better signal is just loaded already.

The handy bit of it being directional so you can aim it into a cell, that has less users, hence more bandwidth available.

/M

• Closed Accounts Posts: 965 ✭✭✭shaveAbullock

Even if the limit for exercise was extended to 100km you still could not visit them under current restrictions.

• Advertisement

I had the opportunity to mount the antenna outdoors (while maintaining social distancing) and downloaded the mikrotik mobile app. It gives the signal strength of about -93db. I unchecked the box for 4g, as the network kept disconnecting and the router had to be restarted. On 3g, the connection stays up - no disconnects at all. The download speeds are between 12-14MB/s.

I had the opportunity to mount the antenna outdoors (while maintaining social distancing) and downloaded the mikrotik mobile app. It gives the signal strength of about -93db. I unchecked the box for 4g, as the network kept disconnecting and the router had to be restarted. On 3g, the connection stays up - no disconnects at all. The download speeds are between 12-14MB/s.

What speeds were you getting before? And I was wondering are the speeds consistent throughout the day?

Previous to this broadband was via satellite. I borrowed a "3" Huawei router and a TP-Link MR600 and tried both with a "3" SIM. I was getting speeds of up to 3 Mb/s. My neighbour says that the speed on the Mikrotik is fairly consistent, enough that they can now watch netflix.

Bought that dish and tried with a 3 SIM, only getting about 3 down and 3 up at best, this was at eight in the evening when the speed seems to slow anyway, but tried the SIM in my phone at the same location as the dish and was getting 14 up and 1 down?!
    Anyone know why this is, or any tweaks I can make to the settings on the dish?

Did you download the app for the dish. It will give you a graph for signal strength so you can fine tune where you are pointing it.

Did you download the app for the dish. It will give you a graph for signal strength so you can fine tune where you are pointing it.

I don't understand how the app connects to the dish if the dish has no WiFi? Is the app just the same as logging in with a PC?
    Thanks

You can plug the ethernet cable into the wan port of a router and connect your phone to the same router, is you have a spare router around.
    If not, jut plug the ethernet cable into a laptop/pc and browse to 192.168.88.1, and you can see the signal strengths on the web interface of the router.

You can plug the ethernet cable into the wan port of a router and connect your phone to the same router, is you have a spare router around.
    If not, jut plug the ethernet cable into a laptop/pc and browse to 192.168.88.1, and you can see the signal strengths on the web interface of the router.

Got set up last night, tried a Gomo SIM, even with full bars the data was non existent, tried a 3 SIM and lot better, 16 up and 4 down, having the app to pinpoint signal was a major help, thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 9 barrysmyth81

Hi lads just trying to set up an mikrotik lhg LTE6 kit I'm using a 3 mobile sim card can see the unit via Web browser and app but can't seem to access the Internet what settings are needed to be setup on the router TIA?

Once you plug in your SIM, it should work. Do you have a PIN on your SIM? You should be able to put in your PIN on the web interface somewhere, or you could pop you SIM into a phone and disable the PIN.

• Advertisement

No just checked on my hauawei router settings it's off at the minute

Can you click on lte and see if there is a connection established?

Access technology says evolved 3g lte
    Registration status is registered

It should be working - can you ping 8.8.8.8

No just timing out

Did you try uncheck the box for 4g?
    I did a factory reset when I had a situation like yours, can be done from web interface, or hold power button while plugging unit in.

Did you try uncheck the box for 4g?
    I did a factory reset when I had a situation like yours, can be done from web interface, or hold power button while plugging unit in.
    Also had to uncheck 4g to get a signal for internet, worked well on 3g

Yes on the lte I've selected lte and 3g

Yes on the lte I've selected lte and 3g

Have you selected bands 3 and 20? Don't think I had to do anything else, there were times I wasn't getting internet but once 4g was unchecked and I was getting a few bars it seemed to work

• Advertisement

Are you plugging the LTE6 straight into the LAN port of a laptop or the WAN port of a router?

Advertisement