Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Calf price chitchat

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,048 ✭✭✭✭Say my name

Whats your calf rearing regime? 250 is big money

Pens of five. Milkbar feeder with black peach teats. The full of a bucket holding 17 to 18 litres of milk poured in twice a day and plenty of straw and no draughts and no visitors.
    The 250 was a fluke. It was a good calf but I'd say there must been a few lads just bulling each other.

rushvalley wrote: »
    Might have a pbnr Monty for your breeding 2021 season if you've any interest closer to the time? 🀠

I think you're the far end of the country though?
    There's a purebred herd of monties not that far from me actually. But I've it always in my head that a half bred bull be throwing the kind I'd want. I always prefered the 3/4 fr/hol 1/4 mo cows than the 1/2 fr/hol 1/2 mo.
    Ah I've kind of already promised another boardsie I'd be interested in a calf from their herd.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,830 ✭✭✭lab man

Is that a question?

ive reared a few here at times but they hard got in clare the ones ive got turned into fine cattle at 2yrs big long cattle with good bone . i use the blue tub with peach teats also with maverick 300 g to 250 water, i seen a guy buying maverick milkshake what is it do u know

lab man wrote: »
    ive reared a few here at times but they hard got in clare the ones ive got turned into fine cattle at 2yrs big long cattle with good bone . i use the blue tub with peach teats also with maverick 300 g to 250 water, i seen a guy buying maverick milkshake what is it do u know

Oh don't ask me about milk replacers.
    I wouldn't have a clue.
    There's more knowledgeable on that subject here.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,823 ✭✭✭GrasstoMilk

Are you sure you're mixing 300g replacer to 250ml water? That's v strong. We feed 400g powder with 2.6l water morning and evening.
    Calf gets 800g powder and 5.2l water each day

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,225 ✭✭✭charolais0153

Pens of five. Milkbar feeder with black peach teats. The full of a bucket holding 17 to 18 litres of milk poured in twice a day and plenty of straw and no draughts and no visitors.
    The 250 was a fluke. It was a good calf but I'd say there must been a few lads just bulling each other.

Black peach teats, one or the other is it?

Black peach teats, one or the other is it?

ya black peach teat they are a great job i think

Are you sure you're mixing 300g replacer to 250ml water? That's v strong. We feed 400g powder with 2.6l water morning and evening. Calf gets 800g powder and 5.2l water each day

sorry miss type 300grammes maverick to 2.5 litres of water, is this not the correct measurements, grass to milk ?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,141 ✭✭✭RightTurnClyde

Just got word (from someone in the know) that as of today calf exports are halted.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,611 ✭✭✭Mooooo

Just got word (from someone in the know) that as of today calf exports are halted.

Fcuk

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,363 ✭✭✭✭Reggie.

Cobra meeting called there now so expecting to hear Britain is in complete lockdown later on

• Registered Users Posts: 11,057 ✭✭✭✭wrangler

Reggie. wrote: »
    Cobra meeting called there now so expecting to hear Britain is in complete lockdown later on

It's time airports were closed now

• Registered Users Posts: 11,071 ✭✭✭✭mahoney_j

wrangler wrote: »
    It's time airports were closed now

Think that should of been already done ,belts and braces job .schools etc closed now for 2 weeks everything else non essential should of been included would of been severe for 2 weeks but would of been huge help to try contain it

Exporter buying mad today apparently

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,034 Mod ✭✭✭✭K.G.

Mooooo wrote: »
    Exporter buying mad today apparently

Where.who

• Registered Users Posts: 3,244 ✭✭✭Gawddawggonnit

Got a call from a calf agent looking for as many calves as he can get...lorry coming at 5:30am.
    He wouldn’t take calves for free on Monday!
    There may be something in what your source says.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,244 ✭✭✭Gawddawggonnit

Got a call from a calf agent looking for as many calves as he can get...lorry coming at 5:30am.
    He wouldn’t take calves for free on Monday!
    There may be something in what your source says.

Update.
    The agent took all the calves that I had under 30days old.
    He said that it had nothing to do with boats sailing from Ireland...there’s a veal unit 60km away that needed to fill houses before there were any restrictions imposed on animal movements.

Panic buying at its best.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,156 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

Update.
    The agent took all the calves that I had under 30days old.
    He said that it had nothing to do with boats sailing from Ireland...there’s a veal unit 60km away that needed to fill houses before there were any restrictions imposed on animal movements.

Panic buying at its best.

Lucky you

Slava Ukrainii

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,471 ✭✭✭Panch18

Sold some calves this week

Angus bulls - 245, 255 and 215
    Angus heifers 170 185
    Fr Bulls 85, 65, 50, 45 and 2 bad ones for 18

Panch18 wrote: »
    Sold some calves this week

Angus bulls - 245, 255 and 215
    Angus heifers 170 185
    Fr Bulls 85, 65, 50, 45 and 2 bad ones for 18

Different world down in west cork

• Advertisement

K.G. wrote: »

Aa heifer 4 weeks 125.
    Fr bulls 5 weeks old 30.
    Fr bull 3 weeks old 16.
    Fr heifer half twin to a bull 4 weeks old, 1 euro

K.G. wrote: »

Ah they were strong calves now, and had plenty of milk drank

The Angus were of a good bull we have, but every single one of them had to be pulled, a pain we could do without

• Registered Users Posts: 1,412 ✭✭✭148multi

Panch18 wrote: »
    Ah they were strong calves now, and had plenty of milk drank

The Angus were of a good bull we have, but every single one of them had to be pulled, a pain we could do without

Would calves like that cost you milk

Aa heifer 4 weeks 125.
    Fr bulls 5 weeks old 30.
    Fr bull 3 weeks old 16.

Yeah box load of fine fr bulls 20 euro in the yard.
    Seems to be a little more go for aa/hd heifers this year.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,558 ✭✭✭older by the day

Aa heifer 4 weeks 125.
    Fr bulls 5 weeks old 30.
    Fr bull 3 weeks old 16.

Thanks I feel like ****e reading calf prices here. I had 2 aa 3 wks old off a 5* bull. Good calves 125. I had 3aa heifers again good calfs 85 Euro. A neighbour sold them. Skibbereen is ****ed for calves. No farmer buyers.

• Registered Users Posts: 177 ✭✭Sillycave

What are Flex bull calves like for beef?
    Know a local farmer selling some but think price is a little strong at 200

wats a flex

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,633 ✭✭✭✭Buford T. Justice XIX

wats a flex

Fleckvieh cows? They should be good for beef as they are a breed with a lot of dual purpose Simmental in them.

https://g.co/kgs/WEchQt

bought 3 in smb today red w bull 200 lm bull 120 bhx115

• Advertisement

148multi wrote: »
    Would calves like that cost you milk

Well they were getting 5-6 litres a day so, costing a fair bit

Don’t use milk replacer

Advertisement