Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Calf price chitchat

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,556 ✭✭✭Cavanjack

Base price wrote: »
    The feckin weather can't accommodate our calving pattern :rolleyes:

Are calf exports down this year due to the weather?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,939 ✭✭✭Hard Knocks

moll3 wrote: »
    wh bulls 180/300
    aa bulls 80/240

What’s the heifers like for comparison

• Registered Users Posts: 695 ✭✭✭3 the square

moll3 wrote: »
    wh bulls 180/300
    aa bulls 80/240

Any fr bulls there ?

• Registered Users Posts: 145 ✭✭moll3

What’s the heifers like for comparison

heifers were nearly the same money

• Registered Users Posts: 145 ✭✭moll3

Any fr bulls there ?

ya loads from 5 euro to 150
    and as much white heads as ive seen in a long time there today

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,936 ✭✭✭alps

Anyone sell shipping calves lately...first batch to shipper here today if we can agree price..

• Registered Users Posts: 2,141 ✭✭✭RightTurnClyde

alps wrote: »
    Anyone sell shipping calves lately...first batch to shipper here today if we can agree price..

All the fr bull are for shipping here. €40 - €55, . They need to be over 2 weeks, over 50 kgs and have a cover on them. They're not mad about Frx calves

• Registered Users Posts: 307 ✭✭oxjkqg

Whats a limousine AI from British friesian worth, young calves, bull and heifer? Have a lad looking for 1 to put under a cow that lost a calf

• Registered Users Posts: 18,188 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

oxjkqg wrote: »
    Whats a limousine AI from British friesian worth, young calves, bull and heifer? Have a lad looking for 1 to put under a cow that lost a calf

Just pick a figure out of the sky. Lads that buy calves to put under cows generally do not work on what an calf is . They prefer to pay 400 euro for a calf that will make 650 off the cow that buy a Fr for 50 euro that would make 350-400 off the cow.

Slava Ukrainii

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,052 Mod ✭✭✭✭K.G.

Be ware they might be with you abit.20 euro for dutch.40 from wicklow but they d want to be good and would have that 40 e in their belly

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 653 ✭✭✭josephsoap

https://www.donedeal.ie/view/24409907

€500 for day old CH calf :-O

• Registered Users Posts: 1,253 ✭✭✭atlantic mist

the two shipers around here are quoting
    45 for 2 week old, he feeds them himself for a week before boat
    70 for 3 week old calves that go straight to the boat

• Registered Users Posts: 407 ✭✭liosnagceann75

First calves of 2020. 2 X aax bulls €295. 2 X aax heifers €230. 5 weeks old

• Registered Users Posts: 99 ✭✭Murang

Any one in Bandon today how were prices

• Registered Users Posts: 1,681 ✭✭✭Castlekeeper

First calves of 2020. 2 X aax bulls €295. 2 X aax heifers €230. 5 weeks old

Good prices, must be good calves, where did you sell?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,030 ✭✭✭DukeCaboom

Murang wrote: »
    Any one in Bandon today how were prices

2k calves. Ya good trade for everything. Dealers giving out they had no value. You'd put together a nice bunch of fr bulls for about €70.

Good prices, must be good calves, where did you sell?

Their good calves to be fair. I was disappointed with the heifers. Thought they were better calves than the bulls. They were sold in Castleisland. They left the yard at 7.30am. I always get someone to draw and sell them for me.

Their good calves to be fair. I was disappointed with the heifers. Thought they were better calves than the bulls. They were sold in Castleisland. They left the yard at 7.30am. I always get someone to draw and sell them for me.

How does that workout does he work for the mart or something??

How does that workout does he work for the mart or something??

He's a local farmer who transports calves to the mart every Monday. He might have 2 or 3 loads every Monday. At €10 cash a calf it's not a bad pay day

He's a local farmer who transports calves to the mart every Monday. He might have 2 or 3 loads every Monday. At €10 cash a calf it's not a bad pay day

I do not pay anyone cash. Nobody pays a farmer cash in beef or milk everything goes through the books. 10 in cash is costing 16-20/ head

Slava Ukrainii

• Advertisement

I do not pay anyone cash. Nobody pays a farmer cash in beef or milk everything goes through the books. 10 in cash is costing 16-20/ head

Maybe it's the mart that pays the transport man cash .

• Registered Users Posts: 8,611 ✭✭✭Mooooo

Lad collects here and sells and his fee is taken off cheque along with mart fees. Comes to 18 euro everthing included I think. Awaiting the first one from this year yet

Maybe it's the mart that pays the transport man cash .

No mart will pay cash either. I have not seen a cash transactions in a mart.in 10 years. Mo

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users Posts: 1,030 ✭✭✭DukeCaboom

Mooooo wrote: »
    Lad collects here and sells and his fee is taken off cheque along with mart fees. Comes to 18 euro everthing included I think. Awaiting the first one from this year yet

Also you get a better lot number, those lads get the numbers on a Thurs or Friday before.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 1,873 Mod ✭✭✭✭Albert Johnson

No mart will pay cash either. I have not seen a cash transactions in a mart.in 10 years. Mo

Any mart I do business in will pay cash out for haulage ect. I'm assuming that for them to have it that there's still an occasional customer paying with cash. I've often collected money out of the office that's stopped off seller's check's if they hadn't cash on them when I lifted the cattle. As another poster mentioned the haulier will often get better numbers as they're regulars. A cashless society isn't something I'd be anyway in favour of tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,114 ✭✭✭✭Say my name

Jjameson wrote: »
    I was looking into the ring for a good while. A real good friesian calf €225.

Bejaysus I bet that €225. €250 this week for one with montbeliarde back breeding.
    Fr out of frx on the card.
    Anyone know of any good fr x mo bulls for sale suitable for breeding? :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,830 ✭✭✭lab man

Bejaysus I bet that €225. €250 this week for one with montbeliarde back breeding. Fr out of frx on the card. Anyone know of any good fr x mo bulls for sale suitable for breeding?

they a great bucket reared calf

• Registered Users Posts: 11,114 ✭✭✭✭Say my name

lab man wrote: »
    they a great bucket reared calf

Is that a question?

If it is then there's a lot of variety in the breed just like fr or Holstein.
    You can get the best of both worlds or the worst.
    Generally though a Monty with a whitehead will command more than a freisian. It usually though will finish better than a hol fr being that there's no usual Jersey or hol extremes in the monty's which can be hidden in the black and whites and all sold under the freisian bull calf banner.
    I wouldn't be a fan of bucket fed anything.
    There has to be a teat to get the benefits.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,845 ✭✭✭GrasstoMilk

Is that a question?

If it is then there's a lot of variety in the breed just like fr or Holstein.
    You can get the best of both worlds or the worst.
    Generally though a Monty with a whitehead will command more than a freisian. It usually though will finish better than a hol fr being that there's no usual Jersey or hol extremes in the monty's which can be hidden in the black and whites and all sold under the freisian bull calf banner.
    I wouldn't be a fan of bucket fed anything.
    There has to be a teat to get the benefits.

Whats your calf rearing regime? 250 is big money

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 426 ✭✭rushvalley

Bejaysus I bet that €225. €250 this week for one with montbeliarde back breeding.
    Fr out of frx on the card.
    Anyone know of any good fr x mo bulls for sale suitable for breeding? :pac:

Might have a pbnr Monty for your breeding 2021 season if you've any interest closer to the time? 🀠

Advertisement