Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x

01-01-2020, 03:24   #1441
Atavan-Halen
He Touched My Breast!!

Happy new year you sexy bitches. Hope it’s a great one.

From your fave sporadic drunk,
Atavan

Xoxo

Gossip girl
Advertisement
01-01-2020, 18:37   #1442
Sparks43

Well the result is in.........

Super Mario Kart Player of the Year 2019 goes to........

Me

In the 19 years of the awards the winners have mostly been World Champion or at least medaled at a major event. To be in a list with them is an amazing honor.

Now my focus is to keep improving towards August and the next world championship.

This whole journey came initially from my being on this forum. The tweet from Playersxpo which the UK champion then enlisted me to the site was the start of it all.
01-01-2020, 20:32   #1443
briany

Bought a DMG-01 Gameboy at the start of the year just gone and have to say I've used it more than my PC. What a great little device. Many second-hand carts still floating around that can be got for a few euro in most cases and offer hours of fun in return. I got an import copy of Donkey Kong for about 3 euro, for example. Many people are of the opinion that it's the best game on the console, and it's hard to disagree.

Mad to think how I wrote the GB off back in the day as cheap mainly due to the monochrome graphics. The funny thing is that I'm now of the opinion that the monochrome graphics have insulated it from ageing in the same way as full colour handhelds have suffered from. The Gameboy was dated from its inception and I think this subconsciously forced most players to accept the graphical style as its own thing, whereas if you had a Game Gear (like I did), you were always conscious of the fact that you were often playing a crappier version of something on the MegaDrive.

Games collected so far

Mario Land 1, 2, 3
Wario Land 2
Tetris
TMNT Fall of the Foot Clan
Donkey Kong Land 1 + 3
Mario's Picross
Qix
Dr. Mario
Yoshi
Game and Watch Gallery 2
Legend of Zelda: Link's Awakening
Pokemon Yellow
Kirby's Dreamland 1 + 2
Gargoyle's Quest
Boxxle
Kwirk
Top Ranking Tennis
Solar Striker
Metroid 2
Mole Mania
Mega Man: Dr Wily's Revenge
Motocross Maniacs
Bubble Ghost
Bomberman GB
Q*Bert
Donkey Kong 94

Anything else that's good? Particularly anything that can be got relatively cheap. I know there are a few games like Final Fantasy and other Mega Man iterations, but they seem to fetch quite high prices.
(2) thanks from:
01-01-2020, 21:16   #1444
CiDeRmAn
Category Moderator

The GB is the most persistent and loved handheld in my collection, but I would lean towards the GB Pocket myself.
The screen is so sharp and battery usage more efficient, not to mention a lovely slim form factor.
Tons to collect, as you say, I used to love the version of Lemmings on the console back in the day, unplayable on the original screen, but the Pocket sharp display is perfect.
As you say, so many colour screens of the era demand either modding or serious rose tinted goggles, aside from the Neo Geo Pocket Color which is awesome.
Thanks from:
01-01-2020, 21:23   #1445
Touch Fuzzy Get Dizzy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atavan-Halen View Post
Happy new year you sexy bitches. Hope it’s a great one.

From your fave sporadic drunk,
Atavan

Xoxo

Gossip girl
My favourite tradition <3
Hope everyone enjoyed the holidays and happy new year.

Got to play Chulip in the end on PS3, forgot it was on there, it's great craic
(3) thanks from:
Advertisement
01-01-2020, 21:53   #1446
Sparks43

Quote:
Originally Posted by CiDeRmAn View Post
The GB is the most persistent and loved handheld in my collection, but I would lean towards the GB Pocket myself.
The screen is so sharp and battery usage more efficient, not to mention a lovely slim form factor.
Tons to collect, as you say, I used to love the version of Lemmings on the console back in the day, unplayable on the original screen, but the Pocket sharp display is perfect.
As you say, so many colour screens of the era demand either modding or serious rose tinted goggles, aside from the Neo Geo Pocket Color which is awesome.

Definitely some Boulder Dash needs to be added to his collection though surely?

Gameboy version is very enjoyable.

Feels like a decade since I played the greatest game of all time
Thanks from:
01-01-2020, 23:02   #1447
briany

Quote:
I'm looking at getting an Advance SP sometime early in this new year. The frontlit 001 model, mind, as the backlit 101 models are more money than I'd want to spend.
01-01-2020, 23:03   #1448
CiDeRmAn
Category Moderator

Feels like a couple.of minutes ago you posted about it on this very thread... In the post before this one!
01-01-2020, 23:04   #1449
CiDeRmAn
Category Moderator

What game pushed the Gameboy the hardest?
Was it the likes of Donkey Kong Land 3?
Or is there some other insane jewel on the Nintendo portable?
Thanks from:
Advertisement
01-01-2020, 23:10   #1450
Nerdkiller1991

Quote:
What game pushed the Gameboy the hardest?
Was it the likes of Donkey Kong Land 3?
Or is there some other insane jewel on the Nintendo portable?

Thanks from:
02-01-2020, 00:29   #1451
Retr0gamer
Category Moderator

The Gameboy and handheld gaming gets over looked so much. It's a fantastic system with an amazing library.

It's one of my favourite systems.

Speaking of Gameboy games. Currently playing links awakening remake and while it's good it's not a patch on the Gameboy original. The slowdown and 30 fps cap just totally afftects the game and it's just not where near as fun as the Gameboy original.
02-01-2020, 00:36   #1452
Retr0gamer
Category Moderator

As for good Gameboy games

Megaman 2 to 5 are all good but 5 in particular is amazing
Final Fantasy Legend 1 to 3
Trip World but good luck finding it cheap
Kid Dracula
Castlevania 2 Belmont's revenge
Ninja Gaiden Shadow
Chalvo 55
Catrap
Mole mania
Bill and Ted
Revenge of the gator
Avenging spirit
Sword of hope 1 and 2
Balloon kid

Megaman games should be cheap from Japan as V in the west is insane.

Got the final fantasy legend games for peanuts from eBay a few years ago. They aren't rare at all.
Thanks from:
02-01-2020, 00:53   #1453
briany

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retr0gamer View Post
The Gameboy and handheld gaming gets over looked so much. It's a fantastic system with an amazing library.

It's one of my favourite systems.

Speaking of Gameboy games. Currently playing links awakening remake and while it's good it's not a patch on the Gameboy original. The slowdown and 30 fps cap just totally afftects the game and it's just not where near as fun as the Gameboy original.
What I like about the Gameboy is the amount of pick up and play titles available. This suits me as the thought of having to put an hour or two into something like Fallout 4 makes me feel fed up with before I'd even sit down to it. Tetris is the very epitome of this. Mario's Picross or Mole Mania is the same thing - play a puzzle or a few screens, respectively and set it aside, only to pick it up again a half hour later. Do this over the course of a rainy weekend and you end up finding you've played a few hours.
02-01-2020, 07:31   #1454
Inviere

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retr0gamer View Post
The slowdown and 30 fps cap just totally afftects the game and it's just not where near as fun as the Gameboy original.
That's a shortcoming of the Switch really though, the hardware just isn't up to the task (from a technical standpoint, it's basically a fancy tablet). While there's a way to go before I'll bother with Switch emulation (shader compilation stutter is a deal breaker for me, so I'm waiting on a better shader cache solution), I've seen already that games run a lot smoother when emulated, as opposed to the actual console itself. The Swamp is notoriously demanding for the Switch hardware, but on Yuzu, it's far smoother (6:11)..

02-01-2020, 09:30   #1455
o1s1n

Definitely raised an eyebrow the first time Link's Awakening slowed down alright, thought there was something wrong with my Switch! Just goes to show how odd it is to see in a big first party Nintendo title.

Actually I'll have to get back to that, took a break to finish off Valkyria Chronicles and one of my sisters also bought me Mario Odyssey which I'm only playing for the first time.

I actually have Valkyria Chronicles 4 and Batman Telltale Series ready to go on my Switch too, not to mention a fresh new Xbox One (bit late to that party!) sitting under my TV which has barely been played.

You'll all be sad to hear that I actually, for the first time in almost 20 years, caved and bought a new, modern television. I don't know who I am anymore. My CRTs all collectively emanated electrons of scorn when I carried it into the house.
(2) thanks from:

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion