Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How many opposite sex friends do you have?

Options
  • 20-12-2019 3:37pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,483 ✭✭✭

Having friends from mainland Europe, US, Canada it seems that a lot of Irish people have a strict rigidity when it comes to the gender of friendships from the same-sex schools that are here.

In my PLC course, all the guys and gals separate themselves and don't talk to each other.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,858 ✭✭✭Church on Tuesday

Having friends from mainland Europe, US, Canada it seems that a lot of Irish people have a strict rigidity when it comes to the gender of friendships from the same-sex schools that are here.

In my PLC course, all the guys and gals separate themselves and don't talk to each other.

Time for you to mix things up then Feg!

• Registered Users Posts: 673 ✭✭✭Sharp MZ700

Pity you don't apply logic outside of your PLC course OP.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,483 ✭✭✭mr_fegelien

Pity you don't apply logic outside of your PLC course OP.

What do you mean?

Ever since Harry met Sally it was never the same again.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,722 ✭✭✭pawrick

Went to a same sex school, most of my friends are of the opposite gender but it varied over time. I've reached a point where I have enough close friends and cant be bothered making new ones tbh so those I have are stuck with me.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

Get with the times Mr F. We're all gender fluid or gender neutral nowadays.

I think all sexes mix fairly well in Ireland. Of course we can be drawn to people with similar interests, careers, or tastes; so the sexes can be separated in some instances. But, as we mature and our horizons widen, we gather friends from both sexes.

Yet again, you need to actually get out more and mix more to rid yourself of all these assumptions.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,311 ✭✭✭✭weldoninhio

I've a lot of both. I've the same group of friends from secondary school both male and female and a wider circle outside of that. I've some female friends i'd go for a drink with etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,562 ✭✭✭Beta Ray Bill

Eh... there's at least 5 sexes/genders now... you'll need to be more specific.

In terms of people that are not what is considered a Cis Man, I've about 20/30 mates

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,005 ✭✭✭BDI

Don’t really have interest in hanging around with girls apart from the one who gives birth to my children and cleans up after me. The rest of them talk about stuff I’ve no interest in and have very little interest in man united boxing or whatever the feck I may be interested in from one week to the next.

It’s nothing personal. Modern life tells us we should all have common ground and play together but really unless you work together or live together most of the chit chat between sexes is bullplop to make them look more attractive it’s not an actual conversation.

A girl isn’t going to tell her male friend about the hularious case of galloping trots that made you have to call out a plumber because you made the error of flushing your trousers down the toilet. Nah she’d just say she called aplumber because the toilet didn’t flush. What’s the point in all that fakeness.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,158 ✭✭✭frag420

Stay out of those Foróige discos, not good for your health!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,191 ✭✭✭Ubbquittious

BDI wrote: »

A girl isn’t going to tell her male friend about the hularious case of galloping trots that made you have to call out a plumber because you made the error of flushing your trousers down the toilet. Nah she’d just say she called aplumber because the toilet didn’t flush. What’s the point in all that fakeness.

of course they will. just need to get to know them

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,431 ✭✭✭Stateofyou

I have about an equal amount of male/female friends, but I would say I'm closest to my male friends and my wife is my best friend. Most of the women I know are independent, talented in their own ways, intelligent and fun/funny. Can't say I've ever felt anything was fake. I say that because BDI needs to find some quality female friends. But maybe if your the type of person who expects your wife to clean up after you that is reflecting in the quality of those friendships.
    My wife and I were actually just talking about this because our child is always telling us how the boys and girls all keep to themselves in school and in the yard, and the teachers split them up boys vs girls in all the games it seems. She doesn't always like this as she's very active and says the girls just want to chat and gossip, and being active with the boys is almost frowned up even though some of the other girls sort of seem game for it too. Sad really.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,685 ✭✭✭Signore Fancy Pants

I'm friends with your ma OP.

Good friends...

...like really good friends.

Basically, I'm your papi and I am dissappoint.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,263 ✭✭✭Quantum Erasure

two, there are only two sexes

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,007 ✭✭✭s7ryf3925pivug

thinly veiled "I have friends" post.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,363 ✭✭✭corner of hells

Good friends...

I'm his ma , feck off you.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,176 ✭✭✭✭ILoveYourVibes

7 maybe.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,024 ✭✭✭Ficheall

How many opposite sex friends do you have whom you don't find physically attractive?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,728 ✭✭✭Greyfox

As a male whenever I have had female friends they always had to disappear once I started dating again.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,890 ✭✭✭Bullocks

Don't have any friends really, definitely not female friends. Friends are hassle I always think and women friends even more hassle. Hate listening to people breaks my heart

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,617 ✭✭✭Day Lewin

thinly veiled "I have friends" post.

Er, no --

- thinly veiled "I have no friends" post!

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 621 ✭✭✭Slim Charles

Don’t really have interest in hanging around with girls apart from the one who gives birth to my children and cleans up after me. The rest of them talk about stuff I’ve no interest in and have very little interest in man united boxing or whatever the feck I may be interested in from one week to the next.

It’s nothing personal. Modern life tells us we should all have common ground and play together but really unless you work together or live together most of the chit chat between sexes is bullplop to make them look more attractive it’s not an actual conversation.

Girls are haunted you dont want to talk to them to be fair, because that's some stream of orange piss you've just posted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,005 ✭✭✭BDI

Girls are haunted you dont want to talk to them to be fair, because that's some stream of orange piss you've just posted.

I never said they would be. It’s a mutual thing I’d imagine. Why would they want to listen to my views on Ole Solkjears zonal marking system defending corner kicks or whether I think Wilder can beat Fury.

The rest seems to be your issues and I can’t debate whether something is a stream of orange piss or not unless you are talking literally, if so I’d counter with obviously it’s not piss because it’s words and obviously it’s not orange because it’s black and white.

If you are talking in metaphors, well that’s just your opinion man.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,890 ✭✭✭✭anewme

Don’t really have interest in hanging around with girls apart from the one who gives birth to my children and cleans up after me.

Shocking and extremely disrespectful way to speak about someone.

A cross between a brood mare and a skivvy.

Everyone I'd be messaging are guys nowadays, though I used to have a lot of female friends and they were often my closest.

I guess being in a relationship changes things a bit, and I generally share more interests with other guys.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,597 ✭✭✭tdf7187

The Irish are a strange race with weird hangups. The Saudi of western Europe.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,546 ✭✭✭worded

tdf7187 wrote: »
    The Irish are a strange race with weird hangups. The Saudi of western Europe.

Can you elaborate ?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,932 ✭✭✭dodzy

Eh... there's at least 5 sexes/genders now... you'll need to be more specific.
    There is no need to be more specific. 2 genders then; 2 genders now.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,296 ✭✭✭✭branie2

A lot

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,167 ✭✭✭Fr_Dougal

Good friends...

We’re finally getting somewhere.

Signore Fancy Pants, are you willing to adopt mr fragleman? He needs a sponsor for his mobile data.

As a priest, I can have manchild adoption papers drawn up quicksmart.

Advertisement