Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Not impressed at all

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,497 ✭✭✭jarvis

Vico1612 wrote: »
    Based on my experience when I got VF installed : the network cable between to router and the ONT wasn't fully secured . For some weird reason, I was maxing out at 400 on a wired connection. I connected the laptop directly to the ONT and configured a connection (just need to ad VLAN10 to your connection) : same results. It turned out that the bad connection was on the ONT side. I unplugged and reset the network connector into place . No problems after that. As VF didn't ship the new Gigabox back in those days and that I ended up with a sh1t HG659 which couldn't cope with all my wireless devices, I've since dumped that and am running an ASUS RT-AC88U . I get full speeds on a wired device (Microsoft Surface book on a CAT5e ) and hit the 300 mark on wifi on various devices.

This is interesting. What you mean by “I unplugged and reset the network connector into place”?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,152 ✭✭✭limnam

lawred2 wrote: »
    Tech girl

Lol

They are talking from scripts where the aim is largely to get you to bugger off

I'd be surprised if any script has on it you must use cat6

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,017 ✭✭✭tsue921i8wljb3

OP you've been given some incorrect information both in this thread and by tech support. Your new connection should be superior to your old Virgin one. You don't need Cat6 cable, Cat5e will do gigabit without issue.

If the installer showed the connection performing at or close to gigabit to your father in law it would seem likely that the fault is in your equipment. Is it the same laptop that you were using with Virgin and if so what wired speed was it a achieving on the Virgin connection?

• Registered Users Posts: 915 ✭✭✭Vico1612

jarvis wrote: »
    This is interesting. What you mean by “I unplugged and reset the network connector into place”?

The network cable wasn't fully locked into the ONT socket, it was pushed in but not all the way (yep I know, a strange one ...)

OP you've been given some incorrect information both in this thread and by tech support. Your new connection should be superior to your old Virgin one. You don't need Cat6 cable, Cat5e will do gigabit without issue.

If the installer showed the connection performing at or close to gigabit to your father in law it would seem likely that the fault is in your equipment. Is it the same laptop that you were using with Virgin and if so what wired speed was it a achieving on the Virgin connection?

It is the same laptop. I could get 240 in VM wired to the laptop. My VM product was 240/24

I have tested on two laptops. Both Lenovo. 1 year old and 2.5 years old.

They have 2 Ethernet cables. But they only used 1. They used a long cable with a yeallow sticker saying LAN to go from ONT to gigabox and it’s in a port labeled WAN.

there was another cable with a blue sticker saying WAN that they left unopened and they used one of my Ethernet cables to go from gigabox in to tv box.

The instructions say use the WAN cable from ONT to gigabox.

I would have thought the cables were the same? So why have a label?

Anyway I have switched it so that now the ONT and the gigabox are connected via the WAN labelled cable. It’s too short though for where I want the gigabox to sit.

So is there a difference? Must I use the cable labelled WAN? I hasn’t made it faster as it stands!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 159 ✭✭jimmad

I've had siro over 2 years now, firstly Vodafone 350 then digiwebs 1gig, while the speeds on Vodafone were relatively stable around the 350 mark wired on an i5 4690k they've been inconsistent since moving to the 1gig usually around the 600 mark, that was until I got a new ryzen 3700 on the same cat5e cable now its consistently over 900 mark, you're hardwares not capable you might have a gig nic but you don't have the horsepower to use it.

jimmad wrote: »
    I've had siro over 2 years now, firstly Vodafone 350 then digiwebs 1gig, while the speeds on Vodafone were relatively stable around the 350 mark wired on an i5 4690k they've been inconsistent since moving to the 1gig usually around the 600 mark, that was until I got a new ryzen 3700 on the same cat5e cable now its consistently over 900 mark, you're hardwares not capable you might have a gig nic but you don't have the horsepower to use it.

So you reckon the laptop is the issue? I can try look into that. But what about getting 20-30 upstairs? That typical? Also. When I open the Vodafone gigabit app it tells me on the dashboard ‘The WiFi signal is not optimal for some of your devices’

Can I ask you guys if I am downloading a large zip file. What sort of speed should I see in the download window and how long should a 1GB file take if I was getting the correct speed?

Can I ask you guys if I am downloading a large zip file. What sort of speed should I see in the download window and how long should a 1GB file take if I was getting the correct speed?

It's unlikely switching Ethernet cables will have any effect.

Theoretically the maximum possible speed you'd see is 125MB/s. In reality if you got 100MB/s I'd be happy. A lot of servers will not be able to serve at those speeds though and the disk in your machine may not be able to write at the speed either.

This should max out your connection if it is working correctly. It is 4.4GB

http://ftp.heanet.ie/mirrors/ftp.debian.org/debian-cd/10.1.0/amd64/iso-dvd/debian-10.1.0-amd64-DVD-3.iso

It's unlikely switching Ethernet cables will have any effect.

Theoretically the maximum possible speed you'd see is 125MB/s. In reality if you got 100MB/s I'd be happy. A lot of servers will not be able to serve at those speeds though and the disk in your machine may not be able to write at the speed either.

This should max out your connection if it is working correctly. It is 4.4GB

http://ftp.heanet.ie/mirrors/ftp.debian.org/debian-cd/10.1.0/amd64/iso-dvd/debian-10.1.0-amd64-DVD-3.iso

I get 11-12MBps

• Advertisement

I get 11-12MBps

That sounds like the machine has a 100Mb Ethernet port. You multiply MB/s by 8 for bits so 11-12MB/s would correspond to 88-96Mb/s.

That sounds like the machine has a 100Mb Ethernet port. You multiply MB/s by 8 for bits so 11-12MB/s would correspond to 88-96Mb/s.

This is gigabit no?

https://ibb.co/QM2VbZB

• Closed Accounts Posts: 280 ✭✭Damiencm

I have Vodafone gigabit siro also. 300mps download and upload all around the house. Have not tried wired

This is gigabit no?

https://ibb.co/QM2VbZB

It is gigabit yes. To be honest it is very hard to diagnose this over the internet. You should be at least matching the speed you were getting with Virgin (240Mb/s or 30MB/s). Perhaps there is something wrong with the line.

Damiencm wrote: »
    I have Vodafone gigabit siro also. 300mps download and upload all around the house. Have not tried wired

I think I deffo have an issue.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,176 ✭✭✭✭ILoveYourVibes

Sleeper12 wrote: »
    Only virgin deliver the speeds advertised.

I did read recently though that the regulator is looking at the issue of not delivering advertised speeds

Unfortunately many of us and most of the population is very gullible.:(

• Registered Users Posts: 159 ✭✭jimmad

So you reckon the laptop is the issue? I can try look into that. But what about getting 20-30 upstairs? That typical? Also. When I open the Vodafone gigabit app it tells me on the dashboard ‘The WiFi signal is not optimal for some of your devices’

Wireless is flakey even with a fritz box its not really consistent for me but I can get 500+ one a one plus 5t, do you have access to a third party router to at least rule out a faulty router, that and I don't think Vodafones new routers up to much. The tech installing the line would of done a speed test directly to the ont AFAIK.

jimmad wrote: »
    Wireless is flakey even with a fritz box its not really consistent for me but I can get 500+ one a one plus 5t, do you have access to a third party router to at least rule out a faulty router, that and I don't think Vodafones new routers up to much. The tech installing the line would of done a speed test directly to the ont AFAIK.

I have a Netgear Orbi. I get the exact same results using that. I took it out and put the Vodafone gigabox back in because tech support won’t entertain an Unsupplied device. The plan is when I get this working correctly I’ll put the orbi in. That’s why I think it’s the line. The orbi should be fine. I factory reset the orbi a couple times too and same results.

SO I called tech support again. This time a guy answered and was very helpful. We didn’t get it fixed but he acknowledged that cat5E is sufficient and he could see the cables connected to the router and was able to identify what speeds they could handle. He did question the laptop and I assured him it’s gigabit Ethernet port. He took the model number and googled it. His colleague suggested that maybe the processor speed is an issue. He couldn’t explain why I’d get 200 up and only 100 down. After trying some settings he said he’d have a look at some tuff their end and call me back in an hour. That’s was 2+ hours ago

Just to give an update if anyone else is having issues in future.

So I never got the promised call back. Seemed that was just a long finger tactic. I called back and this tome the person spent another few minutes suggesting all the same things we’d tried. She then said ‘sure you’ve 20 devices attached’ I explained that I usually would change the SSID back to the default Vodafone one as none of my devices every connected to it and I could then test with just the laptop connected via cat 6. She told me ‘ah but the modem remembers all those devices and it interferes with the speed’. I nearly fell off my chair!! What bull **** are they spouting. Anyway. Another couple of factory resets and still the same issues. In the end her response was ‘that’s just the way it is, your devices aren’t up to it’. So all these devices that were up to it on Friday pre Vodafone all suddenly became outdated on Saturday all at the same time and it coincided with the Vodafone installation!!!!

I asked to speak to a manger or supervisor and she told me there’s no point and she can’t get one now. I told her I wanted a call back from one and she asked why. I explained i wanted an engineer to call and show me it working as advertised and to fix the issue. I was informed they don’t do that. So I said I’m in my cooling off period. Send someone to collect this equipment and cancel my account. She told me they don’t collect it. I’d have to return it and then I Sadi fine but someone will have to come out and make good on all the wiring around the exterior front of my house, take that silver box off the front wall etc. I’m waiting on the manager to call which she said will call Tuesday before lunch time. If they can’t send an engineer I’m demanding they make right on the installation and return the setup to the way it was. They actually removed my virgin media inlet and put their inlet there instead so I can’t even hook back up to virgin media which is still active for another 26 days!!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,152 ✭✭✭limnam

Jesus Christ that sounds painful

Just to give an update if anyone else is having issues in future.

So I never got the promised call back. Seemed that was just a long finger tactic. I called back and this tome the person spent another few minutes suggesting all the same things we’d tried. She then said ‘sure you’ve 20 devices attached’ I explained that I usually would change the SSID back to the default Vodafone one as none of my devices every connected to it and I could then test with just the laptop connected via cat 6. She told me ‘ah but the modem remembers all those devices and it interferes with the speed’. I nearly fell off my chair!! What bull **** are they spouting. Anyway. Another couple of factory resets and still the same issues. In the end her response was ‘that’s just the way it is, your devices aren’t up to it’. So all these devices that were up to it on Friday pre Vodafone all suddenly became outdated on Saturday all at the same time and it coincided with the Vodafone installation!!!!

I asked to speak to a manger or supervisor and she told me there’s no point and she can’t get one now. I told her I wanted a call back from one and she asked why. I explained i wanted an engineer to call and show me it working as advertised and to fix the issue. I was informed they don’t do that. So I said I’m in my cooling off period. Send someone to collect this equipment and cancel my account. She told me they don’t collect it. I’d have to return it and then I Sadi fine but someone will have to come out and make good on all the wiring around the exterior front of my house, take that silver box off the front wall etc. I’m waiting on the manager to call which she said will call Tuesday before lunch time. If they can’t send an engineer I’m demanding they make right on the installation and return the setup to the way it was. They actually removed my virgin media inlet and put their inlet there instead so I can’t even hook back up to virgin media which is still active for another 26 days!!!!

You still don't know if the devices are "up to it". You haven't proven that any of your devices are capable of high megabit speeds and I would still lay money that it is your devices at fault.

You still don't know if the devices are "up to it". You haven't proven that any of your devices are capable of high megabit speeds and I would still lay money that it is your devices at fault.

So how do I prove it? What should an iPhone X get on 5GHz WiFi 4 feet from the router?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,124 ✭✭✭shanec1928

So how do I prove it? What should an iPhone X get on 5GHz WiFi 4 feet from the router?
    no another device cable of 1Gbps speed and test wired. forget wireless altogether.

shanec1928 wrote: »
    no another device cable of 1Gbps speed and test wired. forget wireless altogether.

I’ve tested on 2 gigabit laptops and practically identical issues.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,629 ✭✭✭corks finest

I've 150 mb VF broadband ( siro) and never go below 135/45, if I was paying for the 1.000 mb deal and getting what you're getting I'd be vv disappointed, something obviously v wrong

What are the wireless settings in the router? 20, 40 or 80MHz channel? Long or short guard interval?

What are the wireless settings in the router? 20, 40 or 80MHz channel? Long or short guard interval?

Says 20/40

Says 20/40

That's going to give you a maximum air rate of 400Mb/s. Divide that in two for real world and you should see around 200Mb/s.

Set the 5GHz to 80 MHz with a short guard interval then put the phone into and then out of airplane mode. Test again with a few different servers and post what you get.

• Advertisement

That's going to give you a maximum air rate of 400Mb/s. Divide that in two for real world and you should see around 200Mb/s.

Set the 5GHz to 80 MHz with a short guard interval then put the phone into and then out of airplane mode. Test again with a few different servers and post what you get.

Thanks for the tip. I’ll try it when home and let you know. Appreciate it.

Advertisement