Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Not impressed at all

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,497 ✭✭✭jarvis

Can’t change the bandwidth. 5ghz is set to 20/50/80 and in uneditable.

https://ibb.co/bXFq2xn

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,017 ✭✭✭tsue921i8wljb3

jarvis wrote: »
    Can’t change the bandwidth. 5ghz is set to 20/50/80 and in uneditable.

https://ibb.co/bXFq2xn

That's a bit crap. What speed do you get testing as is? I assume you're using speedtest.net app with Vodafone server.

You could try changing the channel from auto to 56, 108 or 122. Put the phone into airplane mode after each change. Put it back to auto if no improvement.

Ok here’s what I’ve done.

I’ve split the 2.4/5ghz into two separate ssid.
    I’ve connected all my 5GHz compatible devices downstairs in the house to the 5g and not the 2.4. This was because no matter what it would always ignore 5g and choose the 2.4.

So now I can get Speedtest on WiFi upstairs of between 40-90Mbps depending on where upstairs I am.
    All downstairs I have tested each device on 2.4 and 5. Then ignored the one it performs least well on.

I can get 200-240Mbps now on 5g when I’m fairly close to the Gigabox and I have put a tp-link extender in the hall which has vastly improved my Ring Doorbell Pros connection. So everything at the moment works.

My advice to people with the same issue is to manually decide which channels and frequencies you want for each device and don’t reply on the Gigabox doing it for you.

Thanks to everyone who helped on here. It was a God send.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,602 ✭✭✭alec76

jarvis wrote: »
    I also have an Orbi router and when I hooked that up I can see it’s 1000Mbps connection

I have 2 Netgear routers ( r7800 and Orbi RBK53)
    They both got integrated SPEED TEST measuring tool powered by Ookla.
    Advanced /Setup/Speed Test
    What speeds are you getting there? Surely it more than 240 mbit/s ?

alec76 wrote: »

The orbi is on adverts now because Vodafone tv don’t work with it. But I was getting 500Mbps on that speedtest.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,083 ✭✭✭dam099

Not sure how reliable that one is, I've never had the R7800 integrated speedtest go much above 600, PC based test will hit 850-930 fairly often. Just now got 603 vs 927.

dam099 wrote: »
    Not sure how reliable that one is, I've never had the R7800 integrated speedtest go much above 600, PC based test will hit 850-930 fairly often. Just now got 603 vs 927.
    Not all servers support 1gigabit speeds and with the Netgear tool you couldn’t pick specific server, it is automatic.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,456 ✭✭✭CalamariFritti

What do people actually need 1000 mbits for? HD TV requires about 2 mbits. So even if you have a large family who are all 'at it' at the same time with 4k television (which is already a stretch, no one uses 4k) and some, you never gonna use 1000 mbits, you won't even go near 100. 1000 mbits is more a marketing thing tbh. I dont see people actually needing or using that bandwidth.

Just to give a bit of perspective, I'm working for a big multinational IT organisation with thousands of employees. Our main cloud connection for internal webapps (of which there are plenty) has 1000 mbits.

What do people actually need 1000 mbits for? HD TV requires about 2 mbits. .
    It has to be very poor quality HDTV ... Netflix 4K about 15 mbits, 1080p about 9 mbits.
    4K BLU-RAY stream 30—80 mbits.
    1000 mbits probably overkill for residential users , but hey,why not ? Some people working from home , uploading gigs of traffic daily ..( video editing, server backups etc)

It has to be very poor HDTV ... Netflix 4K about 15 mbits, 1080p about 9 mbits.
    4K BLU-RAY stream 30—80 mbits.

Those numbers are uncompressed which is not a realistic scenario. My colleague who lives in the sticks has a poor broadband connection, about 3 mbits and watches HD netflix all the time never a stutter.

Edit: Its loaded question anyway, its like how long is a piece of string. It depends on so many factors, true resolution, framerate, compression rate. all I'm saying is that for home use 100 mbits is plenty.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,925 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

alec76 wrote:
    It has to be very poor HDTV ... Netflix 4K about 15 mbits, 1080p about 9 mbits. 4K BLU-RAY stream 30—80 mbits.

So no real need for the 1000

• Registered Users Posts: 17,722 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

There's no real need but when they're advertising it and you've bought the product based on their advert and you're not getting near the speeds advertised then it's a problem.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

There's no real need but when they're advertising it and you've bought the product based on their advert and you're not getting near the speeds advertised then it's a problem.

Does advertisement ever truly tell the truth?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,318 ✭✭✭Tefral

Log into the box and change the wifi channel to something higher than what it's set.

I've done this for a few of my mates and the speed has shot up

• Registered Users Posts: 9,152 ✭✭✭limnam

Wanderer78 wrote: »
    Does advertisement ever truly tell the truth?

What sort of nonsense are you talking.

"I lack the imagination to use a product, stop buying it"

"advertising is false"

They have the technology to provide the service.

Many others provide the service.

Many others get the required service delivered.

This is not some obscure company selling snake oil.

limnam wrote:
    What sort of nonsense are you talking.

The advertisement and marketing industry is based on lying and manipulation, it works very well

Wanderer78 wrote: »
    The advertisement and marketing industry is based on lying and manipulation, it works very well

That's as true as it is irrelevant.

limnam wrote:
    That's as true as it is irrelevant.

Ah well

Those numbers are uncompressed which is not a realistic scenario

You poor thing ,never streamed 4K HDR BLURAY disk over the internet?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,368 ✭✭✭iwillhtfu

I signed up to this vodafone giga bit broadband and happy enough with the results 650mb/s wired and around 420mb/s wifi.

I have noticed though that from time to time when I do a test it's come back with only 60-70mb/s wifi and to be honest it could be at this 90% of the time and I'd never notice. I can't see any reason someone would need 1000mb/s or even half that. I signed up for the price which no one else seems to be able to match at the minute.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,431 ✭✭✭TheChizler

Just to give a bit of perspective, I'm working for a big multinational IT organisation with thousands of employees. Our main cloud connection for internal webapps (of which there are plenty) has 1000 mbits.
    Bet they're not paying €60 a month for that. They're paying thousands a month for a committed information rate and latency to various services, totally different to a consumer product. You can get a lot more done with that than a service that will slow down throughout the day and has no guaranteed bandwidth to anywhere.

TheChizler wrote: »
    Bet they're not paying €60 a month for that. They're paying thousands a month for a committed information rate and latency to various services, totally different to a consumer product. You can get a lot more done with that than a service that will slow down throughout the day and has no guaranteed bandwidth to anywhere.

Agree with all that but the point I was trying to make is that 1000 MBits is overkill for any private household. And at that what’s the point of complaining about purely theoretical bandwidths.

It’s like someone complaining their new 400 bhp monster car only gets 380 bhp onto the rolling road (Test bed) when they only use that car to go to work on the M50.

I’d just let it go. I think the advertising goes ‘up to 1000 mbits’ anyway.

Agree with all that but the point I was trying to make is that 1000 MBits is overkill for any private household. And at that what’s the point of complaining about purely theoretical bandwidths.

It’s like someone complaining their new 400 bhp monster car only gets 380 bhp onto the rolling road (Test bed) when they only use that car to go to work on the M50.

I think all you can assume is it's overkill for your household. Thats fine.

As I said lack of imagination shouldn't excuse providers providing what people paid for. Overkill or not.

At this point we don't even know if the provider is at fault here.

But god forbid people should get what they paid for.

He's getting about 1/5 of the service.

Taking your car analogy, surely you'd be pretty pissed off buying a new Audi with 150BHP. If it was capped at 30BHP?

Surprised it's up for discussion.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,017 ✭✭✭tsue921i8wljb3

This 1000Mb promotion by SIRO, and it is a promotion with reduced pricing for 18 months, is an effort to improve poor take up on the network. They needed a USP as it were so went for the 1Gb/s "faster than anyone else" angle. The reality that most of those buying will not have the ability to fully utilise such a connection is irrelevant to them. It is all about sales.

• Registered Users Posts: 159 ✭✭jimmad

Just running a comparison on the same cat5e cable from my work laptop which is a i5-6400HQ with a gig nic vrs my desktop running a Ryzen 3700x and gig nic

Laptop speedtest 206.11 down / 193.43 up
    fast.com 280 down.

Desktop speedtest 820 down / 193.18 up
    fast.com 870 down

wifi 6 on the desktop to the fritzbox

Desktop speedtest 398.37 down 190.80 up
    fast.com 440 down

Advertisement