Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Not impressed at all

Options
  • 27-10-2019 9:11am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,497 ✭✭✭

So excitedly rushed home from work yesterday to experience my new Vodafone gigabox and tv service.

Wired I’m getting 155Mbps. WiFi I’m getting about 40.
    If I can find a minute in the day where my iPhone will connect to the 5ghz connection I can get 150Mbps on WiFi but would need to be within 2 feet of the gigabox.

The gigabox is not inside a tv unit. It’s out on top exposed and uncluttered. I’ve factory reset it twice to see if anything changes and nothing changes.

Anyone any idea? I tried calling but after dealing with the automated system for a few minutes I had a very abrupt recorded voice say ‘Tech support is closed, goodbye’ and it ends the call. Live chat told me they’re open till 22:00 on a Friday evening and this happened 4 times between 19:00-21:00

Also in relation to tv service. I have their entry level. 57 channels. It works fine if not a little slow to switch channels but that’s ok. What I would like to ask people is atf their any channels I get in that package that I can’t get on free view? The tv has a dart elite receiver built in so I get tonnes if UK free view. I don’t get Irish freeview but broadband only is €25 cheaper per month. I could save the €25 and book an arial up to get saorview. Anyone any thoughts?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,524 ✭✭✭Hoboo

What speed are you expecting? Up to 1000Mbps doesnt mean you'll get that.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,295 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

What speeds were you offered?

There are about 10 Saorview channels with a couple of them being +1s

And only two of the 10 are HD

Saorview is nothing like freeview. To get something close to freeview you would need a satellite dish to get freesat.

We have freesat and Saorview and don't pay for any tv but needed a dish and aerial for that. So the 57 channels from VF can't be replaced with just Saorview.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,716 ✭✭✭Nigzcurran

I’m on the basic vodafone fibre broadband thingy for €35 PM, max speed is 90 wired or WiFi and it’s superb, I watch 4K Netflix while 4/5 other devices are all connected to the router, I don’t have the tv pack, get yourself a FTA combo box connected to a dish, every channel you’ll ever need in glorious HD and dosnt cost a penny

• Registered Users Posts: 1,497 ✭✭✭jarvis

lawred2 wrote: »
    What speeds were you offered?

There are about 10 Saorview channels with a couple of them being +1s

And only two of the 10 are HD

Saorview is nothing like freeview. To get something close to freeview you would need a satellite dish to get freesat.

We have freesat and Saorview and don't pay for any tv but needed a dish and aerial for that. So the 57 channels from VF can't be replaced with just Saorview.

Offered they’re gigabit service 1000Mbps.

Yeah that’s what I said in the post. I already have a satellite connected to the built in day receiver so I get lots and lots of free sat. Was considering an Ariel for the 10 Irish channels and stop paying for Vodafone tv. I think I am in a cooling off period.

Hoboo wrote: »
    What speed are you expecting? Up to 1000Mbps doesnt mean you'll get that.

I don’t expect 1000mb in WiFi. I’d expect to see 500-800 wired to laptop. I’d expect to get more than 40 on an iPhone less than 10 feet from the router. Am I being unreasonable?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,928 ✭✭✭✭Sleeper12

I believe virgin are the only company that delivers the speeds advertised. Even here though the sp is only guaranteed when hard wired into the box itself. WiFi speed is never guaranteed

Sleeper12 wrote: »
    I believe virgin are the only company that delivers the speeds advertised. Even here though the sp is only guaranteed when hard wired into the box itself. WiFi speed is never guaranteed

Yeah that’s why I’m testing wired. 150-170 wired in a gigabit offering isn’t great. If I can get that to max out I’m sure I’ll see a pro rata increase in WiFi speeds. It’s not only speed though. I’d love to be able to get decent coverage upstairs and at the back of the house. I don’t live in a manor. It’s a semi detached house in an estate!!! :-)

jarvis wrote:
    Yeah that’s why I’m testing wired. 150-170 wired in a gigabit offering isn’t great. If I can get that to max out I’m sure I’ll see a pro rata increase in WiFi speeds. It’s not only speed though. I’d love to be able to get decent coverage upstairs and at the back of the house. I don’t live in a manor. It’s a semi detached house in an estate!!! :-)

No virgin in you area I'm guessing?

• Registered Users Posts: 135 ✭✭macchoille

By any chance are you on the 150mb package? Your speeds are very similar to my own (I went for 150 as I feel it’s enough).

Regarding the WiFi; there’s a lot you need to consider
    Are you in a built up area (Housing Estate)
    How is your house constructed
    (mine has concrete floors upstairs)
    Have you considered getting powerline adaptors and access points.

For us we originally couldn’t get the WiFi in half the house so went for powerline adaptors. We were lucky that somehow there was a cat6 cable on the telephone ring from sitting room to downstairs the office (i do OnCall).

On the 150mb package we get this

Sitting room (WiFi /wired)
    Down ~155mbit
    Up ~30mbit

Office (wired)
    Down ~155mbit
    Up ~30mbit

Most other rooms (WiFi)
    Down ~80mbit
    Up ~30mbit

The worst rooms we have for WiFi are the office (no big deal as computer/printer etc are on own mini wired network) and the bathrooms and even those rooms are getting 30 mbit

Depending on the size of your house if you want it as fast as possible everywhere you’ll need Cat 6+ cabling (€€€€) and to be honest it’s not worth it.

No virgin in you area I'm guessing?

Yeah. I’ve been with them for years. Was going up again €100+ PM.
    €25 for Vodafone for 6 months then €65 for the second 6 months of a years contract.
    I’m fine with leaving VM and I’ll be fine with Vodafone if I get the product they advertised to me.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 135 ✭✭macchoille

jarvis wrote: »
    Yeah. I’ve been with them for years. Was going up again €100+ PM.
    €25 for Vodafone for 6 months then €65 for the second 6 months of a years contract.
    I’m fine with leaving VM and I’ll be fine with Vodafone if I get the product they advertised to me.

Ignore my messages, based on the €65 Euro I can see you should be on the full 1000mbit but it looks somehow they have you set to 150mbit.

macchoille wrote: »
    Ignore my messages, based on the €65 Euro I can see you should be on the full 1000mbit but it looks somehow they have you set to 150mbit.

I got 210Mbps Wired there once but can’t get again. It’s deffo a gigabit connection. The installer showed a Speedtest result to may father in law who was here for installation. I also have an Orbi router and when I hooked that up I can see it’s 1000Mbps connection. I reverted to the Vodafone gigabox though as the orbi was having the same issues and I know when I contact support they will only support their own hardware which is fair enough. After I took away the orbi I factory reset the gigabox and set up from scratch. Same issues persist. I have zero clue if tech support open on Sunday and at what time. It’s not easy to get this info from their website.

jarvis wrote:
    Yeah. I’ve been with them for years. Was going up again €100+ PM. €25 for Vodafone for 6 months then €65 for the second 6 months of a years contract. I’m fine with leaving VM and I’ll be fine with Vodafone if I get the product they advertised to me.

Only virgin deliver the speeds advertised.

I did read recently though that the regulator is looking at the issue of not delivering advertised speeds

Many years ago I was on Eircoms fastest speed but the speed delivered was actually their lower speed package. I dropped down to the lower & my speed was cut again. They claimed that I was the last house on the chain & I'd never get the advertised speed. I argued that on the higher package that I got the advertised speed for the lower package so I know that they can deliver. I was told I'd have to pay for higher speed if I wanted to get the lower advertised speed!

Needles to say I moved to UPC/Virgin and never looked back. They are expensive but I get speeds no other company can deliver. They don't have a fair usage policy on the plan I'm on. My son is a gamer on a high spec pc. We exceed 1.5Tb on a monthly basis. I can't see myself ever leaving virgin unless other providers up their game

• Registered Users Posts: 2,699 ✭✭✭advertsfox

I got 210Mbps Wired there once but can’t get again. It’s deffo a gigabit connection. The installer showed a Speedtest result to may father in law who was here for installation. I also have an Orbi router and when I hooked that up I can see it’s 1000Mbps connection. I reverted to the Vodafone gigabox though as the orbi was having the same issues and I know when I contact support they will only support their own hardware which is fair enough. After I took away the orbi I factory reset the gigabox and set up from scratch. Same issues persist. I have zero clue if tech support open on Sunday and at what time. It’s not easy to get this info from their website.
    A gigabit connection from router to device will always shows 1Gbps, your connection out to the exchange is the speed you are concerned about. You may be limited to 150-170Mb by distance. It is up to 1000Mbps internet.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,453 ✭✭✭KildareP

Only virgin deliver the speeds advertised.

I did read recently though that the regulator is looking at the issue of not delivering advertised speeds

Many years ago I was on Eircoms fastest speed but the speed delivered was actually their lower speed package. I dropped down to the lower & my speed was cut again. They claimed that I was the last house on the chain & I'd never get the advertised speed. I argued that on the higher package that I got the advertised speed for the lower package so I know that they can deliver. I was told I'd have to pay for higher speed if I wanted to get the lower advertised speed!

On a Fibre to the Home service there is no reason why an ISP cannot deliver the speeds advertised. It is not like the copper based landline services whereby the realised speed was only as fast (or slow) as the line could support.

advertsfox wrote: »
    A gigabit connection from router to device will always shows 1Gbps, your connection out to the exchange is the speed you are concerned about. You may be limited to 150-170Mb by distance. It is up to 1000Mbps internet.

I know that. I said that because the previous poster guessed I may have been supplied with a lower speed product and I’m quite sure am on the product I bought.

Not sure about distance. What I do know is Siro dug up the whole street a year ago. The engineers yesterday worked on a shore eight outside my garden wall. Then we’re then at the side of my house and at the front. Where the line enters the house I now have a silver box on the outside wall. Looks to have a circular keyhole on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,369 ✭✭✭Eire Go Brach

Yeh I would not be happy either. Make sure you are using at least a cat5e cable. Not cat5. Cat 6 even better.

WiFi speeds will depend on the age of your device. Your router is more then likely AC. Devices could be N. New iPhones etc will get the max out of it.

I know that. I said that because the previous poster guessed I may have been supplied with a lower speed product and I’m quite sure am on the product I bought.

Not sure about distance. What I do know is Siro dug up the whole street a year ago. The engineers yesterday worked on a shore eight outside my garden wall. Then we’re then at the side of my house and at the front. Where the line enters the house I now have a silver box on the outside wall. Looks to have a circular keyhole on it.
    Can you connect just your computer / laptop with a gigabit LAN port to the router and test your speed (disconnect everything including your new TV service and disable the WiFi). This way you can get a true test of your input.

advertsfox wrote: »
    Can you connect just your computer / laptop with a gigabit LAN port to the router and test your speed (disconnect everything including your new TV service and disable the WiFi). This way you can get a true test of your input.

That’s what I did. I have a whole heap of smart devices in the house. Bulbs, switches, plugs, heating, echos, doorbell and they’re all set up to connect to the VM3DDXXXX SSID. I haven’t renamed the SSID yet on the gigabox. Once I have it getting best results I will rename is to the old virgin media SSID which means all my devices will connect automatically. So as default using the Vodafone SSID and password there’s only a wired laptop. The wired Vodafone tv box and my iPhone on WiFi. I’ve turned WiFi off on the phone and the tv was off all morning so all these tests were wired and only the laptop connected.

That’s what I did. I have a whole heap of smart devices in the house. Bulbs, switches, plugs, heating, echos, doorbell and they’re all set up to connect to the VM3DDXXXX SSID. I haven’t renamed the SSID yet on the gigabox. Once I have it getting best results I will rename is to the old virgin media SSID which means all my devices will connect automatically. So as default using the Vodafone SSID and password there’s only a wired laptop. The wired Vodafone tv box and my iPhone on WiFi. I’ve turned WiFi off on the phone and the tv was off all morning so all these tests were wired and only the laptop connected.
    Then you were wrongfully sold the service if you thought you were paying for and receiving the full 1Gbps connection. Sounds like the profile you are getting is about 180Mbps which is pretty decent but not so much if you expected 5x as much.

• Advertisement

KildareP wrote:
    On a Fibre to the Home service there is no reason why an ISP cannot deliver the speeds advertised. It is not like the copper based landline services whereby the realised speed was only as fast (or slow) as the line could support.

My experience was old eircom copper lines. My point was that they could actually give me the speed advertised on the basic package but only if I paid for the premium package. Then the premium package only got half the advertised rate.

UPC came in my life and I haven't looked back since. Fastest broadband, delivering the advertised speed & totally unlimited

• Registered Users Posts: 561 ✭✭✭thenightman

Fibre is completely different to copper lines whose speeds were restricted by distance from cabinet or exchange. Fibre is completely different so it's an irrelevant comparison.

Virgin advertise up to speeds as well. If every premises on the Virgin cab that services you was hammering their connection then you would see a drop off in speeds, as you share bandwidth with your neighbours.

Most people don't use/need anywhere near the full download speeds offered these days, and have no clue that they wouldn't notice any difference between a 20mb connection vs a 1GB connection in day to day usage, unless they were heavy torrenters. Always why I find these threads bizarre.

I phoned and spoke to tech person. She said needs to be cat 6 cable. I’ve just got cat 5E. I asked should I not get better than 150 on cat 5E. She repeated over and over I should call back when I have a cat 6.

The cat 5E is giving 150 down and 190 up. Surely no matter what cat the cable is I should be getting more down than up.

I’m off to find a cat 6

• Registered Users Posts: 9,152 ✭✭✭limnam

I phoned and spoke to tech person. She said needs to be cat 6 cable. I’ve just got cat 5E. I asked should I not get better than 150 on cat 5E. She repeated over and over I should call back when I have a cat 6.

The cat 5E is giving 150 down and 190 up. Surely no matter what cat the cable is I should be getting more down than up.

I’m off to find a cat 6

Cat5e is more than capable of delivering your requirements.

I’m off to find a cat 6
    That is just not true, completely false information, I have CAT5e ran all around my house to 10 different devices and I get the full 1000Mbps. You are getting 150Mbps from Vodafone direct so if you feel you should be getting more, you need to escalate a line fault.

https://www.diffen.com/difference/Cat5e_vs_Cat6

• Registered Users Posts: 1,083 ✭✭✭dam099

I’m off to find a cat 6

If you are getting 190 up sounds like you are on the 1Gb profile anyway as that upload corresponds to it.

As others have said Cat5e should be sufficient, maybe a its a bad cable, have you tried more than one? Otherwise possibly a line fault.

• Registered Users Posts: 24 96YNWA96

I got siro on Friday and the installer told me he done a check and I was getting 850 which I would be delighted with

I done a speed test on my I phone then and got over 200 download so allowing for device and not wired I was still happy enough

On Saturday I was getting 50 most of the day but again was getting 200

I taught siro was consistent but obviously not

Will be ringing on Tuesday to see why this is happening

Anyone any ideas why or how this is happening?

Just to eliminate all potential issues I’m gonna get a cat 6. I did try multiple cat 5E cables and all get the same result. The tech girl said maybe my laptop isn’t capable. It’s 1 year old Lenovo. I’ll check it’s capabilities too

• Registered Users Posts: 24,295 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

Just to eliminate all potential issues I’m gonna get a cat 6. I did try multiple cat 5E cables and all get the same result. The tech girl said maybe my laptop isn’t capable. It’s 1 year old Lenovo. I’ll check it’s capabilities too

Tech girl

Lol

They are talking from scripts where the aim is largely to get you to bugger off

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 915 ✭✭✭Vico1612

Based on my experience when I got VF installed : the network cable between to router and the ONT wasn't fully secured . For some weird reason, I was maxing out at 400 on a wired connection. I connected the laptop directly to the ONT and configured a connection (just need to ad VLAN10 to your connection) : same results. It turned out that the bad connection was on the ONT side. I unplugged and reset the network connector into place . No problems after that. As VF didn't ship the new Gigabox back in those days and that I ended up with a sh1t HG659 which couldn't cope with all my wireless devices, I've since dumped that and am running an ASUS RT-AC88U . I get full speeds on a wired device (Microsoft Surface book on a CAT5e ) and hit the 300 mark on wifi on various devices.

Advertisement