Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ryan Tubridy comments about Greta Thunberg

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 24 Critiqued

megaten wrote: »
    Why do you want a child to have a nervous breakdown?

He didnt say that though did he?

• Registered Users Posts: 20,561 ✭✭✭✭yourdeadwright

shes being manipulated and put out in the public eye which would be distressing for any child, let alone one with aspergers. Her parents should be ashamed of themselves for either manipulating her themselves or allowing others with interests to do so.

Its a clever move by the climate alarmist lobby, even somebody like tubbs being torn apart for having the audacity to point out that this isnt right.

Her Father is author and producer , Stevie Wonder can see the venture is a documentary or film about his daughter,

There using her for there own gain ,

They already published a book last year https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scenes_from_the_Heart about his family fight for the environment ,

Its KONY 2012 all over folks ,

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,316 ✭✭✭nthclare

Why do you want a child to have a nervous breakdown?

Seriously, what kind of education have you got ?

No where in their post did they say they wanted a child to have a nervous breakdown.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,886 ✭✭✭megaten

nthclare wrote: »
    Seriously, what kind of education have you got ?

No where in their post did they say they wanted a child to have a nervous breakdown.

Why suggest she's going to have a nervous breakdown then? I don't understand why some kid is inspiring such viciousness.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 667 ✭✭✭lola85

Fair play to him.

Been asked to apologize is ridiculous.

He’s entitled to his opinion.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16,015 ✭✭✭✭James Brown

lola85 wrote: »
    Fair play to him.

Been asked to apologize is ridiculous.

He’s entitled to his opinion.

....and people are allowed criticise him for his opinion. The fact that the tax payer pays his massive salary and provided the platform for his opinion would be another.

Why suggest she's going to have a nervous breakdown then? I don't understand why some kid is inspiring such viciousness.

Fear of change.

Fear of change.

I mean internet commentators and regular adults, not politicians.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,617 ✭✭✭Nermal

Media: repeatedly shoves megalomaniac opinionated child in your face

Same media: what is everyone's problem with this child?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 667 ✭✭✭lola85

....and people are allowed criticise him for his opinion. The fact that the tax payer pays his massive salary and provided the platform for his opinion would be another.

Of course they are.

But he shouldn’t be asked to apologize.

• Advertisement

Nermal wrote: »
    Media: repeatedly shoves megalomaniac opinionated child in your face

Same media: what is everyone's problem with this child?

There's a million headlines every day, what set you off about this one though. Even the whole child thing isn't that unique. Wasn't that whole climate strike thing a week ago started by some teens. There was a march by primary school kids last year too. The strength of emotion is unatural for something that is fairly common.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,777 ✭✭✭KathleenGrant

grassroot1 wrote: »
    People are taking what they want from this and we all see different things.
    No fan of Tubridy but he saw her through the eyes of a dad and she was upset and needed comfort.
    A 16 year old girl should not have to cross the world to tell us we need to change NOW
    This girl has a form of autism it has nothing to do with her campaining but it must be taken into consideration when dealing with her QUOTE]

Just because she is 16 and has autism doesn't make her message any less valid.
    A 16 year old girl probably should not have to but she will get a lot more attention because of her age. Countless environmentalists giving the same message have not made the impact she has.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,303 ✭✭✭santana75

He's spot on. This "You've stolen my dreams" melodrama makes absolutely no sense. The world isnt going to end in her lifetime so she has ample time to go and live and have a fulfilling life.

santana75 wrote: »
    He's spot on. This "You've stolen my dreams" melodrama makes absolutely no sense. The world isnt going to end in her lifetime so she has ample time to go and live and have a fulfilling life.

So what kind of speech would you prefer her to give?

lola85 wrote: »
    Of course they are.

But he shouldn’t be asked to apologize.

He's paid to interview Louis Walsh and Twink while asking people how they felt after great tragedy.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,325 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

nails1 wrote: »
    I think she’s great and quite intelligent. Doubt she’ll ever have to work a minimum wage now. Nearly all the comments I’ve read on the journal and Irish websites make her out to be a drama queen and attention seeker. While every other international media site are singing her praises and encouraging her. Just shows what Irish people have become. Too afraid to stand up on our own and speak up . And whoever does is an idiot or cringeworthy. We only have the balls to do things in groups. Thanks a lot Catholic Church.

I think that post is a little misleading.
    I have seen a lot of the following narrative -

https://www.irishtimes.com/life-and-style/people/why-is-greta-thunberg-so-triggering-for-certain-men-1.4002264

Which I find odd as it seeks to make it into a gender issue. Note this comes from the Irish Times - the paper of record!

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

So what kind of speech would you prefer her to give?
    This is a pretty decent example of another 16 year old at the UN.
    https://www.irishtimes.com/news/world/schoolgirl-shot-by-taliban-gives-powerful-speech-to-un-1.1461835

• Registered Users Posts: 5,875 ✭✭✭Edgware

If you were driving a car out from a driveway on to a busy road would you have total confidence in asking a 16 year old " Anything coming from the left ?"

This child has read a few books and websites but that is the level of her knowledge and expertise, which is above the average knowledge of the Green Party members in Ireland.
    Turbridy is a gob****e but right on this. The people jumping on the Greta bandwagon are the same who thought Gemma Doherty would be a great President, in other words the usual populist goofballs. Some flute in Paris wears a yellow jacket and next thing our own goofballs starts wearing them at protests. F.F.S.

Edgware wrote: »
    If you were driving a car out from a driveway on to a busy road would you have total confidence in asking a 16 year old " Anything coming from the left ?"

This child has read a few books and websites but that is the level of her knowledge and expertise, which is above the average knowledge of the Green Party members in Ireland.
    Turbridy is a gob****e but right on this. The people jumping on the Greta bandwagon are the same who thought Gemma Doherty would be a great President, in other words the usual populist goofballs. Some flute in Paris wears a yellow jacket and next thing our own goofballs starts wearing them at protests. F.F.S.

It's a kid raising climate awareness and people commending her for the effort. Nobody is asking her for tips on how to run the planet.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,499 ✭✭✭crossman47

It's a kid raising climate awareness .

All very commendable but at what cost to herself? That's all Tubridy was asking and I agree with him. I was horrified at the pained look on her face. A child feeling like that should be comforted and not used as a campaigner.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,083 ✭✭✭Rubberchikken

if people want to start change then put away your phones, tablets, pcs, cars, jobs, holidays, food etc.

go and live off the land foraging and hunting.

not too many eh?

and please stop this crap of her asking for her childhood back. shes 16. her childhood isnt that far back. hyperbolic nonsense.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 25,587 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

Edgware wrote: »

That is her entire point. She neither claims to fully understand the science nor claims to have the solutions. What she is asking is that the overwhelming majority of climate scientists who state that this is a problem are actually listened to. She has explicitly stated that no one should ask her for details or solutions - she is trying to direct attention to the people who we should be paying attention to. Because she sees it as fundamentally quite clear that when there is an overwhelming scientific consensus on something, maybe we should listen to the scientists rather than saying "Newton was full of ****e" and jumping out a window.

People are concerned about the kid getting too attached to what she has no control over.

I myself wouldn't like my 18 year old son to become a lefty sjw or alt right looney.
    Of if he did I'd give him moral support and respect his conviction etc
    But would have preferred him to be more moderate and have common sense.

Thankfully he's moderate like myself and has common sense, his class mate's slag the **** out of alt right and sjws...

People are concerned about the kid getting too attached to what she has no control over.

I myself wouldn't like my 18 year old son to become a lefty sjw or alt right looney.

Thankfully he's moderate like myself and has common sense, his class mate's slag the **** out of alt right and sjws...
    I find that impossible to believe to be honest.

Also your son is probably just indulging you.

Well anything a possible megaten.

You see you've different parents, some are responsible and others are just plain mad.

My parents wouldn't have let me cross the lake in a safe raft in order to make a statement and miss school for the sake of fame or notoriety, let alone cross the ocean...at 16

What if a huge swell built up with an onshore hurricane, would you think it's responsible then ?

The ones who stole Greta’s childhood are the ones who are feeding her fears. She’s too vulnerable to be used in this shameful shameful way.

The ones who stole Greta’s childhood are the ones who are feeding her fears. She’s too vulnerable to be used in this shameful shameful way.

I can see where you're coming from, I've an open mind.
    But the kid should be out enjoying herself and doing what kid's do.

In my day it was the Russians are going to wipe us out, the ozone layer will open up and fry us...

Listening to some guy in a dress telling us we'll burn in hell if we have a ****, or telling us there's a sky fairy watching our every move, and hears every thing.

We were made to believe some holy picture was alive and our parents filling our heads about polytheism and lying about spirit's and demon's etc

I spent half my life worrying about some dude with a pitch fork ramming it up my arse for all eternity....
    I'd probably enjoy it now tbh as long as it's turned around...

Oh and the Gulf war and Nostradamus was another fear...

Also your son is probably just indulging you.

can you explain the second sentence in layman's terms, oh sorry laypersons terms ?

can you explain the second sentence in layman's terms, oh sorry laypersons terms ?

I mean he's probably just saying it for the sake of it? I wouldn't worry about it though.

• Advertisement

I mean he's probably just saying it for the sake of it? I wouldn't worry about it though.

i don't think so because I brought himself and his philosophy student friend on s fishing trip during the summer and they're big into the whole sociology and social sciences subject matter.
    Big fan's of Jordan Peterson.

It's ok you don't have to be doing my son's thinking for him.

I know him well enough :)

Advertisement