Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lidl - recommendations

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,181 ✭✭✭Lady Haywire

Thanks for that. Are you a scientist in real life? :)

Sausage scientist :pac:

I wanted to know which ones to buy more of, that's my only reasoning! I really liked the curry ones before, my taste buds must have changed in the two years since I had them.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,800 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

Sausage scientist :pac:

Ooooh , matron!

• Registered Users Posts: 706 ✭✭✭Debub

For reasons of science, i bought one of each of the Barry John sausages & cooked one of each to taste test them :D

First impressions-
    Chip Shop Curry- It's good, maybe a little too curry flavour, very little sausage getting through.
    Spice Bag- Oh yes. This is good. I love this one!
    Choc/Honeycomb- Tastes slightly sweet but no outstanding flavour :confused:
    Bacon/Cabbage- Tastes like any sausage, but with aded green bits!

With ketchup!

CSC- Actually a bit nicer with ketchup, different.
    SB- Not so good. Much nicer plain.
    Choc/HC- Marginally better, nice tang to contrast to sweet.
    Bacon/Cabbage- .........sausage, now with ketchup & green bits!

With caramelised onion chutney.
    CSC- Good. Nicer than ketchup, maybe it's because it's dulling the curry flavour?
    SB. Eeeeeh. I like it but maybe my liking for this sausage flavour is why :P
    Choc/HC- Too sweet, nope!!
    Bacon/Cabbage. Actually my favourite with the chutney, a delicious surprise!

So yes to Spice Bag & surprisingly the Bacon & Cabbage ones.
    Curry ones would be sickening after one & 1/2. Choc/HC are ok but just don't get the honeycomb at all.

Well done - thank you for this report

AnnaSophia wrote: »
    Hopefully they didn’t disappoint! :)

No - didn't disappoint - nice taste, we had them with caramelised onions (with some Indian spices)

Bought a pack of Spice Bag y'day - looking forward

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 35,024 ✭✭✭✭Baggly

Really enjoyed the CSC ones. Deffo need a bit of ketchup though. Not quite currywurst, but very tasty in their own right.

Choc chip ones were a hit with the little ones. Didnt really see much point in them myself. Would just go with normal saussies on that basis.

Baggly wrote: »
    Really enjoyed the CSC ones. Deffo need a bit of ketchup though. Not quite currywurst, but very tasty in their own right.

Choc chip ones were a hit with the little ones. Didnt really see much point in them myself. Would just go with normal saussies on that basis.

Yes - the kids definitely did enjoy the Choc Chip H ones

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,174 ✭✭✭RhubarbCrumble

Cracked open a bottle of this at the weekend. Very nice. Tastes like a much more expensive wine. Well worth €8.

https://www.lidl.ie/en/p/grocery-range-red-wines/bordeaux-superior-aop-13-5/p23687

Out of the Spice Bag and Curry - Curry is better as far as our family opinion goes

• Registered Users Posts: 10,934 ✭✭✭✭fin12

Anyone know where jack the lad ale would be located in the shop? Was in lidl today and couldn’t see it anywhere.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,162 ✭✭✭autumnbelle

Will the best of Irish range be staying or is it a case of stock up now?! The curry sausages are lovely, Kennedy potato wedges and veggie lasagna are both really good. The secret chef hog roast with apple sauce and bacon crumb is unreal but small for the price. It’s so tasty

• Registered Users Posts: 13,365 ✭✭✭✭McMurphy

fin12 wrote: »
    Anyone know where jack the lad ale would be located in the shop? Was in lidl today and couldn’t see it anywhere.

My guess is up where the craft beer is near the cashier's on the right hand side of the shop unless of course it's a special (because I've never heard of it) which is usually located on the left-hand side approaching the cashiers with all the other beers (usually opposite perlenbacher)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,440 ✭✭✭caviardreams

Will the best of Irish range be staying or is it a case of stock up now?! The curry sausages are lovely, Kennedy potato wedges and veggie lasagna are both really good. The secret chef hog roast with apple sauce and bacon crumb is unreal but small for the price. It’s so tasty

They are just a special buy a couple of times a year.

Went to pick up a pack of Choc C HC sausages, but didn’t find any of them in store, maybe they are gone already, was in a hurry so didn’t get around to asking anyone about it...

The secret chef hog roast with apple sauce and bacon crumb is unreal but small for the price. It’s so tasty

Can't see this online - is it definitely part of the irish range? Sounds gorgeous!
    https://www.lidl.ie/en/c/kickstart-best-of-ireland/c936

My guess is up where the craft beer is near the cashier's on the right hand side of the shop unless of course it's a special (because I've never heard of it) which is usually located on the left-hand side approaching the cashiers with all the other beers (usually opposite perlenbacher)

Ya I was looking in the craft beer section and all over the drinks isle but couldn’t see it.

It’s ok anyway cause the craft brewing company ales are really nice.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,162 ✭✭✭autumnbelle

Can't see this online - is it definitely part of the irish range? Sounds gorgeous!
    https://www.lidl.ie/en/c/kickstart-best-of-ireland/c936

No it was the secret chef on the box, I couldn’t find it in my local lidl today so it maybe gone 🙄 unless it was aldi... definitely had secret chef written on the side

• Registered Users Posts: 14,246 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

Gorgeous new tortilla chips in the deluxe range -Mexican lime and sour cream and only 89c for a nice size bag! Sure where would you be goin?!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,181 ✭✭✭Lady Haywire

leahyl wrote: »
    Gorgeous new tortilla chips in the deluxe range -Mexican lime and sour cream and only 89c for a nice size bag! Sure where would you be goin?!

I got them, they're really good

Are they lime tortilla chips regular stock or just special offer at the moment?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,246 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

Are they lime tortilla chips regular stock or just special offer at the moment?

They are regular stock but they have "new" on the bag I think, so presumably haven't been on sale too long :)

leahyl wrote: »
    They are regular stock but they have "new" on the bag I think, so presumably haven't been on sale too long :)

Thank you. Will pick up a bag today :)

Has anyone seen the 81% JD Gross dark chocolate recently? It has been missing in my LIDL for months now - just the 70% caramel and orange ones :-(

• Registered Users Posts: 466 ✭✭browne_rob5

Has anyone seen the 81% JD Gross dark chocolate recently? It has been missing in my LIDL for months now - just the 70% caramel and orange ones :-(

No hasn't been in the Bray lidl for a couple of months. Looks like they have changed the range a bit and discontinued that one.

• Registered Users Posts: 903 ✭✭✭Bassfish

The non alcoholic IPA they do is actually really good! The ready made pizza bases are the handiest things ever too!

• Registered Users Posts: 17,882 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

Feeling lazy after a days overtime I had a Lidl bacon and cabbage ready meal, not bad! Ive had worse from pub carveys before.

The lime tortillas have been out of stock all week so I didn't get to try them yet but the pistachio chocolate is lovely.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,396 ✭✭✭RocketRaccoon

Bassfish wrote: »
    The non alcoholic IPA they do is actually really good! The ready made pizza bases are the handiest things ever too!

A tip from slimming World which suits me as I hate thick base pizzas. Use a regular wrap as a pizza base.

Lovely boxes of Turkish Delight in store now. Actually was surprised to see they are produced in Turkey.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,800 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

Lidl have lovely fresh garlic at the moment.

Advertisement