Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

De Ploughing

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 20,175 ✭✭✭✭jimgoose

IAMAMORON wrote: »
    I think it is very important for the...

Ah yeah. A generation or so ago they were arsin' around the bog and a bowl of stirabout or a couple of platefuls a' spuds would have cured all the angst from here back to Norway, but since the changeover in 1922, when they got well down to the porridge-pot there was no holdin' them. It started off with top-hats and white ties and "getting into the Gentry", and then to chatting about the servant problem with the Anglo-Irish Horse-Protestants, who at least were reared to it, and it went from that to late dinner, and now it's "Angst", no less. Not that the Horse-Protestants were any better, but they were longer at it. They are just as ignorant except that their ill-manners are sharpened by time.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

Few paragraphs wouldn't go amiss you poxbottles.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,175 ✭✭✭✭jimgoose

Omackeral wrote: »
    Few paragraphs wouldn't go amiss you poxbottles.

Well you're going to be more sorry now you bastard, because she died and left me the pub!

• Registered Users Posts: 15,802 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

The D4 meejia have their outside broadcast units on site to be at one with their country cousins.
    Wouldn't be my cup of tea, if there's traffic jams of cars trying to get in and crowds I'm not really bothered.

• Registered Users Posts: 671 ✭✭✭Plopsu

The ploughing is basically the haj for culchies

That should be it's tag line!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,858 ✭✭✭Church on Tuesday

This is one seriously odd place sometimes.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,661 ✭✭✭✭maccored

This is one seriously odd place sometimes.

just sometimes?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,262 ✭✭✭✭jester77

So as someone who hasn't lived in Ireland for a couple of decades and has no idea what this is about... what is this about? I've seen it mentioned a good few times over the years.

Is it a tribute to the harvesting season where someone ploughs the first field of the year for setting new crops or some sort of equivalent?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,942 ✭✭✭topper75

Glancing at the thread title I thought I was entering a discussion on some hitherto unknown Norman surname.

The. Outside of Dublin, we pronounce it as the.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,184 ✭✭✭riclad

Its a ploughing competition where farmers plough a field,
    but 1000,s go to it,
    i think lots of companys , have a stand there ,
    anything to do with agriculture ,or any product of interest to rural people .

https://twitter.com/search?q=ploughing+championship+ireland&ref_src=twsrc%5Egoogle%7Ctwcamp%5Eserp%7Ctwgr%5Esearch
    It,s nice to know some major event can happen outside dublin .
    It,s like gaa hurling you either like it or you have zero interest in it .
    And of course a lot of rte radio show,s will be there broadcasting from a tent.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,109 ✭✭✭✭jmayo

How on earth is this a major “event”, drawing such big numbers? It sounds like a truly awful way to spend your day.

Tractors ploughing fields and stomping around various farming supply tents listening to yahoos shouting “hup” and “hon the banner!” or whatever parochial nickname their town/county has.

Probably has “Wagon Wheel” constantly blaring over speakers that double as bunting poles too

It would be Richie Kavanagh ya thundering gobdaw.
    I can think of few things worse than standing around in a field with lots of old men with rope belts keeping their “trousers” up and both hands, firmly, in their pockets. Always wearing those thick suits, probably older than they are, whether it’s cold and rainy or blistering sunshine. Then having some freckled young lads in navy gilets running around bumping into you roaring “hit the diff!” and shing themselves laughing.

I’ve had to endure spending time with my partner’s “people” out west on a few occasions and it’s always the same. Incessant weather chat, pointing out the long, or short, evenings and “‘tis an Indian summer we’re having” type pronouncements.

Have you ever thought they were being charitable to you ?
    I mean would you rather they just referred to you as yer man the gobshyte from the city and sat there laughing at you ?

I mean they do probably laugh at you when you are gone, but at least have some appreciation for fact they don't do it to your face.
    Then, down the pub, having to endure some of the locals from further afield. Poking fun at my accent or asking my partner if “so and so” is her uncle and on her answer in the affirmative falling around laughing telling her “Softy, we used to call him!”. Base humour.

Oops cancel the last bit, they do laugh at you.
    Ah well at least they are honest and upfront.
    The coverage the Ploughing is getting is beyond me. Pat Kenny was broadcasting from there today. The Dubs win “five in a row”, a feat never achieved by any other side, in either code, and one that I, personally, don’t believe will be done again, and there’s no mention of it. Instead it’s this country “festival” that’s getting all the coverage, that and the country “beef” drama.

Can’t just let us have our “moment”. Up the Dubs!!

1 out of 10 for effort.

Lacks subtlety.

Must try harder next time.
    A heap of the wolly backs in work go missing for the few days every year. The ploughing is basically the haj for culchies - they have to make the pilgrimage or they don't get to finally ride some dirty aul one in culchie heaven i believe.

There's no fúcking civilisation in them!:mad:

The big advantage of the ploughing is the lack of insufferable ar**holes from certain parts of the country.
    Aongus Von Bismarck has a challenger!

Different class, different league.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,424 ✭✭✭✭Leg End Reject

If I was a single woman (rather than a married man) I'd be down there in a flash!

All those bachelors, lots of land, plenty of road frontage, etc

Instead the single women of Ireland are wasting their time on Tinder, POF and at Electric Picnic!

They'd only be looking for a brood mare though, and someone to help with lambing or calving. Farming is really something you need to be born into.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,466 ✭✭✭blinding

There’ll be no ploughing in Dublin this week after the All-Ireland anyway .

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,936 Mod ✭✭✭✭Say Your Number

Ah it's better than walking through Dublin with chuggers and junkies in your face every 5 yards looking for money.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,913 ✭✭✭Pintman Paddy Losty

I'm sick of all this rural news on TV.

I was watching Claire Byrne last night and there was a load of pig ignorant ****ers giving out that they didn't like the price they were getting for beef. Tough **** hombre. That's the free market.

The sight of them on every RTE bulletin annoys me. Red faces, incoherent accents, big wooly jumpers and eyebrows under their eyes. You can almost smell the cow****e off them. How minister creed went in to a room to negotiate with them I don't know. The fent of manure would be enough to turn a bombay sewage worker I'd say.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,505 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

I was watching Claire Byrne last night and there was a load of pig ignorant ****ers giving out that they didn't like the price they were getting for beef. Tough **** hombre. That's the free market.

The sight of them on every RTE bulletin annoys me. Red faces, incoherent accents, big wooly jumpers and eyebrows under their eyes. You can almost smell the cow****e off them. How minister creed went in to a room to negotiate with them I don't know. The fent of manure would be enough to turn a bombay sewage worker I'd say.

Lack of scale is a problem in Irish farming but the meat processors have been ripping off farmers for years, as have the retailers, withdrawing product is the only weapon farmers have

• Registered Users Posts: 1,913 ✭✭✭Pintman Paddy Losty

Mad_maxx wrote: »
    Lack of scale is a problem in Irish farming but the meat processors have been ripping off farmers for years, as have the retailers, withdrawing product is the only weapon farmers have

They're not just withdrawing product.

No issue with that. They're preventing others product from entering the abbatoirs.

Mad_maxx wrote: »

They're not just withdrawing product.

No issue with that. They're preventing others product from entering the abbatoirs.

I think scale is too small and most will need to exit but even half the farmers left the industry, a guy with a thousand acres still needs some margin, the factories are taking the p1ss

• Registered Users Posts: 5,875 ✭✭✭Edgware

Its nearly as bad as the smell from the tenements where ten junkies share a room ( and needles)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,633 ✭✭✭✭Buford T. Justice XIX

blinding wrote: »
    There’ll be no ploughing in Dublin this week after the All-Ireland anyway .

There wasn't a cow milked in Dublin last Saturday evening.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,312 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

How on earth is this a major “event”, drawing such big numbers? It sounds like a truly awful way to spend your day.

Tractors ploughing fields and stomping around various farming supply tents listening to yahoos shouting “hup” and “hon the banner!” or whatever parochial nickname their town/county has.

Probably has “Wagon Wheel” constantly blaring over speakers that double as bunting poles too

A few of the girls from here have been talking about it nonstop for the last month. Talking about, no word of lie, which wellies were “best” to go with their outfits. They share lots of jokes about “finding a man” and, obviously, “road frontage” and this brings them on to talk of the “Aisling” book and how they’re all so like her. All of them.

I can think of few things worse than standing around in a field with lots of old men with rope belts keeping their “trousers” up and both hands, firmly, in their pockets. Always wearing those thick suits, probably older than they are, whether it’s cold and rainy or blistering sunshine. Then having some freckled young lads in navy gilets running around bumping into you roaring “hit the diff!” and shítting themselves laughing.

I’ve had to endure spending time with my partner’s “people” out west on a few occasions and it’s always the same. Incessant weather chat, pointing out the long, or short, evenings and “‘tis an Indian summer we’re having” type pronouncements.

Then, down the pub, having to endure some of the locals from further afield. Poking fun at my accent or asking my partner if “so and so” is her uncle and on her answer in the affirmative falling around laughing telling her “Softy, we used to call him!”. Base humour.

The coverage the Ploughing is getting is beyond me. Pat Kenny was broadcasting from there today. The Dubs win “five in a row”, a feat never achieved by any other side, in either code, and one that I, personally, don’t believe will be done again, and there’s no mention of it. Instead it’s this country “festival” that’s getting all the coverage, that and the country “beef” drama.

Can’t just let us have our “moment”. Up the Dubs!!

Sounds like you have never even been at it.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 370 ✭✭WB Yokes

A lot of crosshatch jeans and superdry hoodys there this evening. Anyone notice the lad shouting in the back while RTE were having their broadcast. Plugging some youtube channel.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,055 ✭✭✭JohnnyFlash

Sounds like you have never even been at it.

Emmet seems like the sort of lad more likely to be found at Comic Con dressed as a Pokemon character.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,774 ✭✭✭griffin100

My teenage son just got back. He described it as travellers, tractors and food. He got to see Michael D. and Richie Kavanagh so was happy.

As someone who lives nearby I hate the feckin thing. Roads are closed, kids sports cancelled, schools all over the county have been told to shut by Garda, school buses have been comendeered for shuttling attendees, lots of businesses closed. At least some businesses can make a few quid from it. I can’t wait until the feckin thing is over.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,817 ✭✭✭Raconteuse

Ah it's better than walking through Dublin with chuggers and junkies in your face every 5 yards looking for money.
    How about walking on Dorset Street/Clonliffe Road on the day of a major football or hurling match where you get to experience a combination of both the charms of Dublin inner city's finest AND our rustic sons and daughters? :pac:

griffin100 wrote: »
    My teenage son just got back. He described it as travellers, tractors and food. He got to see Michael D. and Richie Kavanagh so was happy.

As someone who lives nearby I hate the feckin thing. Roads are closed, kids sports cancelled, schools all over the county have been told to shut by Garda, school buses have been comendeered for shuttling attendees, lots of businesses closed. At least some businesses can make a few quid from it. I can’t wait until the feckin thing is over.

Travellers don't go to the ploughing, not in any significant or noticeable numbers anyway

• Registered Users Posts: 23,499 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

The farmers are not happy.

I wonder what their beef is?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,552 ✭✭✭Dr. Bre

Boom_Bap wrote: »
    Ye do know that it's a drunken rampant f*ck fest?

I hear ya plough it into them ..

• Registered Users Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭sbsquarepants

jmayo wrote: »

The big advantage of the ploughing is the lack of insufferable ar**holes from certain parts of the country.

It's a win / win. Your lot get to stick their wellies on and stomp around in the muck yacking on about hoggets and milk quotas just like in days of yore, or whatever the hell it is you talk about when you swarm. For our part we get a lovely little break from pretending to listen to you waffle on about tractors and slurry, or having to feign concern as you solemnly relay that you'll be needing a day off for the funeral of your uncles, primary school teachers second cousin from 2 parishes over.

Also - just a little hint jmayo - us city slickers don't think in parishes - I'm currently at work in Parkwest, i have no idea if 2 parishes over means Lucan or Louisiana.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 402 ✭✭J DEERE

It's a great day out in fairness. It's one of the last major cultural events that Ireland has that hasn't been affected or changed by progressive Ireland. It doesn't seem to offend anyone. Great for small and innovative businesses to show their products and wares. 240,000 people over 3 days and never any trouble or any real anti social behavior. Not to mention a great social outlet for people in rural areas, a chance to meet politicians and voice concerns.

Advertisement