Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

De Ploughing

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,675 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

How on earth is this a major “event”, drawing such big numbers? It sounds like a truly awful way to spend your day.

Tractors ploughing fields and stomping around various farming supply tents listening to yahoos shouting “hup” and “hon the banner!” or whatever parochial nickname their town/county has.

Probably has “Wagon Wheel” constantly blaring over speakers that double as bunting poles too

A few of the girls from here have been talking about it nonstop for the last month. Talking about, no word of lie, which wellies were “best” to go with their outfits. They share lots of jokes about “finding a man” and, obviously, “road frontage” and this brings them on to talk of the “Aisling” book and how they’re all so like her. All of them.

I can think of few things worse than standing around in a field with lots of old men with rope belts keeping their “trousers” up and both hands, firmly, in their pockets. Always wearing those thick suits, probably older than they are, whether it’s cold and rainy or blistering sunshine. Then having some freckled young lads in navy gilets running around bumping into you roaring “hit the diff!” and shítting themselves laughing.

I’ve had to endure spending time with my partner’s “people” out west on a few occasions and it’s always the same. Incessant weather chat, pointing out the long, or short, evenings and “‘tis an Indian summer we’re having” type pronouncements.

Then, down the pub, having to endure some of the locals from further afield. Poking fun at my accent or asking my partner if “so and so” is her uncle and on her answer in the affirmative falling around laughing telling her “Softy, we used to call him!”. Base humour.

The coverage the Ploughing is getting is beyond me. Pat Kenny was broadcasting from there today. The Dubs win “five in a row”, a feat never achieved by any other side, in either code, and one that I, personally, don’t believe will be done again, and there’s no mention of it. Instead it’s this country “festival” that’s getting all the coverage, that and the country “beef” drama.

Can’t just let us have our “moment”. Up the Dubs!!

Sounds like you have never even been at it.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 370 ✭✭WB Yokes

A lot of crosshatch jeans and superdry hoodys there this evening. Anyone notice the lad shouting in the back while RTE were having their broadcast. Plugging some youtube channel.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,055 ✭✭✭JohnnyFlash

Sounds like you have never even been at it.

Emmet seems like the sort of lad more likely to be found at Comic Con dressed as a Pokemon character.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,992 ✭✭✭griffin100

My teenage son just got back. He described it as travellers, tractors and food. He got to see Michael D. and Richie Kavanagh so was happy.

As someone who lives nearby I hate the feckin thing. Roads are closed, kids sports cancelled, schools all over the county have been told to shut by Garda, school buses have been comendeered for shuttling attendees, lots of businesses closed. At least some businesses can make a few quid from it. I can’t wait until the feckin thing is over.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,817 ✭✭✭Raconteuse

Ah it's better than walking through Dublin with chuggers and junkies in your face every 5 yards looking for money.
    How about walking on Dorset Street/Clonliffe Road on the day of a major football or hurling match where you get to experience a combination of both the charms of Dublin inner city's finest AND our rustic sons and daughters? :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,503 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

griffin100 wrote: »
    My teenage son just got back. He described it as travellers, tractors and food. He got to see Michael D. and Richie Kavanagh so was happy.

As someone who lives nearby I hate the feckin thing. Roads are closed, kids sports cancelled, schools all over the county have been told to shut by Garda, school buses have been comendeered for shuttling attendees, lots of businesses closed. At least some businesses can make a few quid from it. I can’t wait until the feckin thing is over.

Travellers don't go to the ploughing, not in any significant or noticeable numbers anyway

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,932 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

The farmers are not happy.

I wonder what their beef is?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,741 ✭✭✭Dr. Bre

Boom_Bap wrote: »
    Ye do know that it's a drunken rampant f*ck fest?

I hear ya plough it into them ..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭sbsquarepants

jmayo wrote: »

The big advantage of the ploughing is the lack of insufferable ar**holes from certain parts of the country.

It's a win / win. Your lot get to stick their wellies on and stomp around in the muck yacking on about hoggets and milk quotas just like in days of yore, or whatever the hell it is you talk about when you swarm. For our part we get a lovely little break from pretending to listen to you waffle on about tractors and slurry, or having to feign concern as you solemnly relay that you'll be needing a day off for the funeral of your uncles, primary school teachers second cousin from 2 parishes over.

Also - just a little hint jmayo - us city slickers don't think in parishes - I'm currently at work in Parkwest, i have no idea if 2 parishes over means Lucan or Louisiana.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 402 ✭✭J DEERE

It's a great day out in fairness. It's one of the last major cultural events that Ireland has that hasn't been affected or changed by progressive Ireland. It doesn't seem to offend anyone. Great for small and innovative businesses to show their products and wares. 240,000 people over 3 days and never any trouble or any real anti social behavior. Not to mention a great social outlet for people in rural areas, a chance to meet politicians and voice concerns.

They said on the radio yesterday that it was the largest attendance for any event so far this year in all of Europe. Crazy!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,180 ✭✭✭✭jimgoose

They said on the radio yesterday that it was the largest attendance for any event so far this year in all of Europe. Crazy!

Tell me there isn't something immensely satisfying about this, even for a Big Smoke person such as yourself:

jimgoose wrote: »
    Tell me there isn't something immensely satisfying about this, even for a Big Smoke person such as yourself:

Eh.......

I'm just not seeing the appeal jim, even though I am a dulchie these days:D.
    I think you may need to be born into this shít to be arsed, it's some kind nature versus nurture conundrum!

Eh.......

I'm just not seeing the appeal jim, even though I am a dulchie these days:D.
    I think you may need to be born into this shít to be arsed, it's some kind nature versus nurture conundrum!

That's fair enough. Personally I love diggers - the Cork Summer Show this year had more diggers per capita than Wexford. :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,942 ✭✭✭topper75

... a load of pig ignorant ****ers giving out that they didn't like the price they were getting for beef. Tough **** hombre. That's the free market...

Wait. Which free market is this Paddy?
    The one where I can open an abattoir and processing plant in the garage of my 3-bed semi tomorrow morning by sticking a 'Cattle Wanted' sign on the lawn with apologies to nobody?

It's plain to anyone that there is nothing free about a market where a small number of buyers collude to ensure they get a low buying price from many sellers.

It's a natural backlash following the laws of economics, that was probably actually long overdue.

• Advertisement

topper75 wrote: »
    ...The one where I can open an abattoir and processing plant in the garage of my 3-bed semi tomorrow morning by sticking a 'Cattle Wanted' sign on the lawn with apologies to nobody?...

A truly excellent way to get seven shades of shite belted out of you in the middle of the night, these days! :pac:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,078 ✭✭✭IAMAMORON

If your planning on opening a victuallers from your garage make sure you install a decent cool room for hanging your meat off and watch out for wasps, they are a bastard at this time of year.

Make sure everyone around is on for it, meat fúcking stinks pal, there is a reason why most butchers are down the town like. Stinking of raw meat.

While I am asking are youse getting decent cuts down in Carlow? I heard that the bullocks over Mount Leinster are far nicer, but the fella that told me is full of shight and charges woshious prices for beef, although he has some smashing lamb around spring time so I like to keep him sweet, I am good like that. Even though he is an awful spoofer altogether, the type of mincer that listens to Guns N Roses on a tape cassette in his Ford Granada. You wouldn't trust him with your sister like, not even for a couple of hours, in fact I have often wondered if he shifted her at Patsy's barn dance last summer, she didn't get home for half the night and she lost her jacket and had to call back for it a few days later, she was gone a while then as well come to think of it. She probably was shifting him.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 40,326 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

jimgoose wrote: »

pffft

IAMAMORON wrote: »
    If your planning on opening a victuallers from your garage make sure you install a decent cool room for hanging your meat off and watch out for wasps, they are a bastard at this time of year.

Make sure everyone around is on for it, meat fúcking stinks pal, there is a reason why most butchers are down the town like. Stinking of raw meat.

While I am asking are youse getting decent cuts down in Carlow? I heard that the bullocks over Mount Leinster are far nicer, but the fella that told me is full of shight and charges woshious prices for beef, although he has some smashing lamb around spring time so I like to keep him sweet, I am good like that. Even though he is an awful spoofer altogether, the type of mincer that listens to Guns N Roses on a tape cassette in his Ford Granada. You wouldn't trust him with your sister like, not even for a couple of hours, in fact I have often wondered if he shifted her at Patsy's barn dance last summer, she didn't get home for half the night and she lost her jacket and had to call back for it a few days later, she was gone a while then as well come to think of it. She probably was shifting him.

I couldn't tell you who shifted your sister, I didn't although I do like Granadas. Mk. Is 'specially, not so much Mk. IIs. Anyway, the point is there's fellas in Tipp and Wexford doing Wagyu cattle breeds, the meat is supposed to be only mighty altogether.

They would want to be feeding those Wagyu's with the best of Japanese feed though. I would be telling them to ask at lidl for the special counter sushi , just to fatten the foookers like. That Cairn beach spinach is no use and local Irish breds won't touch for love no money.

Talking of Jap imports I know a fella looking to drop a 2003 Honda Insignia with a sunroof if you know of anyone. It smells pretty cat inside, he was using it as a greenhouse to grow cannabis plants all summer, but she has some engine on her, I drove it as far as Swansea with a Swedish tourist a couple of summers ago, she was handy enough, the gearbox that is, the Swedish tourist got a bit fussy with me cause I wouldn't fork out for a BnB and flatly refused to sleep in the back of the Insignia, it was high summer and comfy enough once you let down the seats ( 5 door ), I ended up having to get a Hotel near Fishguard, she was savage in the sack though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,417 ✭✭✭ToddyDoody

When's ladies day?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,231 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

They would want to be feeding those Wagyu's with the best of Japanese feed though. I would be telling them to ask at lidl for the special counter sushi , just to fatten the foookers like. That Cairn beach spinach is no use and local Irish breds won't touch for love no money.

Talking of Jap imports I know a fella looking to drop a 2003 Honda Insignia with a sunroof if you know of anyone. It smells pretty cat inside, he was using it as a greenhouse to grow cannabis plants all summer, but she has some engine on her, I drove it as far as Swansea with a Swedish tourist a couple of summers ago, she was handy enough, the gearbox that is, the Swedish tourist got a bit fussy with me cause I wouldn't fork out for a BnB and flatly refused to sleep in the back of the Insignia, it was high summer and comfy enough once you let down the seats ( 5 door ), I ended up having to get a Hotel near Fishguard, she was savage in the sack though.

If you get someone to buy that I've got some ocean front property in Athlone for you. From the front porch you can see the sea.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,627 ✭✭✭Woke Hogan

It's no wonder the "Dubs" won five in a row. They've had so much financial doping they'll be playing as the Dublin Red Bulls next summer.

ELM327 wrote: »
    If you get someone to buy that I've got some ocean front property in Athlone for you. From the front porch you can see the sea.

Are you sure your not talking about the river Shannon, ya chancer ya. Yaboya , ya fooooking hoooer ya?

What side of Athlone are ye, Irmhí, Leitrim or Roscommon?

The Shannon always brings back fond memories for me, I can remember wearing the face of a camogie player from Rooskey, she was on a hen night in Carrick and started groping me on the dancefloor, all over my body. She came in from behind and cupped her arms around my waste when they were playing Black Betty just after midnight. She was reafing the arse of me and kept on trying to grab the front of my trousers, it got heavy like. I turned around and started dancing with her first, I was fairly pissed I had been on the Cider all day and I have been burping these really pukey burbs for a good hour. She must have been foooking hammered however cause she din't notice and half way through the summer of 69 she stated shifting me whether I liked it or not.

We ended up down on the pier and in one of those Emerald Isle cruiser ships, I was gone like a Bat out of hell once she shut up and fell asleep. I ran up the town and got the last dinner box, I was only staving. I can't remember her name.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,076 ✭✭✭Wayne Jarvis

ToddyDoody wrote: »
    When's ladies day?
    It was today. Here are the winner and runner up of the Best Dressed Lady competition.

cupla-culchies.jpg

Are you sure your not talking about the river Shannon, ya chancer ya. Yaboya , ya fooooking hoooer ya?

The Shannon always brings back fond memories for me, I can remember wearing the face of a camogie player from Rooskey, she was on a hen night in Carrick and started groping me on the dancefloor, all over my body. She came in from behind and cupped her arms around my waste when they were playing Black Betty just after midnight. She was reafing the arse of me and kept on trying to grab the front of my trousers, it got heavy like. I turned around and started dancing with her first, I was fairly pissed I had been on the Cider all day and I have been burping these really pukey burbs for a good hour. She must have been foooking hammered however cause she din't notice and half way through the summer of 69 she stated shifting me whether I liked it or not.

We ended up down on the pier and in one of those Emerald Isle cruiser ships, I was gone like a Bat out of hell once she shut up and fell asleep. I ran up the town and got the last dinner box, I was only staving. I can't remember her name.

godtí mar ata sibh

Nah I'm not living there, it's a paraphrase of a country song, as there is no such car as a honda insignia :p

Guy Person wrote: »
    It was today. Here are the winner and runner up of the Best Dressed Lady competition.

cupla-culchies.jpg
    Jaypers hai tis meself on the left. How'd you get that photo? Can I ask it to be taken down on GDPR

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,417 ✭✭✭ToddyDoody

cupla-culchies.jpg

Very good. Any chance of a shot from the rear?

ELM327 wrote: »
    godtí mar ata sibh

Nah I'm not living there, it's a paraphrase of a country song, as there is no such car as a honda insignia :p

Go mo leis sceail, an typo anois , Iarmhí is fear liom a scríobh.

ToddyDoody wrote: »
    Very good. Any chance of a shot from the rear?
    Sure thing Toddy. Here are 2 culchie arses for you.

CC-NEW-DAIL-_3390329315.jpg

• Advertisement

She is fairly mint.

mugen_honda_quint_integra_5-door.jpeg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,131 ✭✭✭Ms2011

Records broken for attendance this year, 216,000 people after day 2 with one day still to come, I'm a bit shocked at those numbers!!

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 40,326 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Has Athlone been moved?
    I know Westmeath is crap but I never thought the government would go that far!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,484 ✭✭✭Andrew00

"ploughing 2k19"

Lads roaming around with gilet jackets and the color tucked up and a pair of workpants to think they're great

"how ya now", "now a bad aul day"

Oh hit the diff and pray that she goes all the way

Young lads driving tractors during the summer with the aul earpiece on, thinking they're the bees knees

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,675 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

Andrew00 wrote: »
    "ploughing 2k19"

Lads roaming around with gilet jackets and the color tucked up and a pair of workpants to think they're great

"how ya now", "now a bad aul day"

Oh hit the diff and pray that she goes all the way

Young lads driving tractors during the summer with the aul earpiece on, thinking they're the bees knees

So in other words you know fook all about it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,633 ✭✭✭✭Buford T. Justice XIX

cupla-culchies.jpg

Congratulations!

Will you be defending your title next year?:p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,104 ✭✭✭Trigger Happy

She is fairly mint.

mugen_honda_quint_integra_5-door.jpeg

I had a white one of those in thee 90s. Honda integra. Great car for a young fella at the time. The pop up lights and all.

Congratulations!

Will you be defending your title next year?:p

Reported

• Registered Users Posts: 7,055 ✭✭✭JohnnyFlash

Ms2011 wrote: »
    Records broken for attendance this year, 216,000 people after day 2 with one day still to come, I'm a bit shocked at those numbers!!

It’s actually a good day out, even if you aren’t a farmer, son of the soil, or exhibitor looking to make sales.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,026 ✭✭✭✭EmmetSpiceland

Another “record” was broken there at the weekend.

The one where the Dubs won the five in a row!!

“It is not blood that makes you Irish but a willingness to be part of the Irish nation” - Thomas Davis

I am a Dub, moved to Carlow 2 years ago so I'm proud of both achievements, I don't see it as a competition.

It’s actually a good day out, even if you aren’t a farmer, son of the soil, or exhibitor looking to make sales.

Was there today for the first time, kids loved it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,003 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

I don't see the problem at all. Great for our rural brethren to meet up and enjoy the craic.

It might not be for city/townies, but who cares. What the feck impact has it on those who criticise it.

None, just stay at home.

• Registered Users Posts: 204 ✭✭Capra

Is it not fair to say that townies and city kids are dullards with little to no interest in most things outside the banal entertainment of professional sports and pop culture? They usually have no interest in how machines work, where their food comes from, what types of animals exist on farms or in the countryside and their goals are often limited to buying a semi detached house some day. Tremendous at spending exhorbitant amounts of money on the latest technology, when they hadn't even worked out how to use their old one to even a fraction of its potential. But when you can get Clash of Clans to run at a slightly smoother frame rate then it's all worth it. Oh baby.

A simple folk who talk about how they can't wait for the weekend by Tuesday and the describe how they had a crazy weekend where they got hammered on Friday night and then spent all day Saturday and Sunday recovering. Some of them even have the odd flutter. I heard some of them know how to handle a vehicle as big as a Range Rover. Now I don't know about you, but city life sounds super exciting to me. It gives me heart palpitations just thinking about it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,627 ✭✭✭Woke Hogan

You sound like something of a broken record yourself.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,023 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Can I ask a question?

What exactly is the draw of the Ploughing Championship? I don't get it. Why would 300,000 people travel from all around the country to attend it?

OK, so I know plenty might be into ploughing and go to watch that. But I'm guessing that would be a fraction of the 300,000.

A large section will be farmers too obviously. Are they travelling across the country to look at tractors and machinery for sale? Surely there are local shows for that? I know up here in Donegal there are quite a few.

So what about everyone else? What exactly is there at it to attract so many who don't fall into the above categories of people? It is now just stalls selling stuff?
    I read above someone says 'the kids loved it'. I'm taking it there was amusements, bouncy castles etc? I know my kids would love that too, but there's no way I'd drive the length of the country for that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,026 ✭✭✭✭EmmetSpiceland

NIMAN wrote: »
    Can I ask a question?

What exactly is the draw of the Ploughing Championship? I don't get it. Why would 300,000 people travel from all around the country to attend it?

OK, so I know plenty might be into ploughing and go to watch that. But I'm guessing that would be a fraction of the 300,000.

A large section will be farmers too obviously. Are they travelling across the country to look at tractors and machinery for sale? Surely there are local shows for that? I know up here in Donegal there are quite a few.

So what about everyone else? What exactly is there at it to attract so many who don't fall into the above categories of people? It is now just stalls selling stuff?
    I read about someone says 'the kids loved it'. I'm taking it there was amusements, bouncy castles etc? I know my kids would love that too, but there's no way I'd drive the length of the country for that.

It’s bizarre alright. A massive case of “FOMO”, fear of missing out, if you ask me.

Used to work with a girl from Waterford who’d be off sick with appendicitis or the ‘flu but she’d never miss a night out.

I guess with the death of the “culchie shopping day” on the 8th of December, largely down to online sales and better, “regional”, centres it’s a time when they can all just get together in a mucky field.

“It is not blood that makes you Irish but a willingness to be part of the Irish nation” - Thomas Davis

There's 2 possibilities Niman I reckon.

1 - They just know no better god love them.

2 - It's just culchies doing culchie shít and we'll never understand.

Either way it's like like a dog with a bone. To non dogs, as meals go it certainly looks like a load of shít, but if you try take it off him odds are he'll bite you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 130 ✭✭Rashers Big Log

Don’t knock it until ye try it. The Ploughing is the best day out you’ll ever have

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,093 ✭✭✭Gregor Samsa

Can I ask a question?

No.

• Advertisement
Advertisement